• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Songs famously attributed to the wrong artist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alx

Stuck in the Middle with You is not a song from Bob Dylan. It's actually a parody of Dylan's style, but most people thought it was the real thing and bought it in droves, to the surprise of its authors.

Am I evil? on Metallica's Garage.inc. Never heard the original.

Came to post this.

Just about everyone thinks its a Metallica song. I thought the same thing until I realized Garage Inc. was a cover album. The Diamond Head version(original) is pretty good.

antitrop

Oh, misunderstood the thread. Heh. But STILL!

Also, in the same vein as my earlier post, OP a LOT of people don't know Red Red Wine is a Neil Diamond song.

I don't like Neil Diamond's original. The UB40 reggae cover is infinitely superior to me.

I do like Neil Diamond performing UB40's version of his song, though.

JLG-

"Shadowplay" by Joy Division, not the killers! fuck the killers
LLShC.gif

Parallacs

Owl City's "Fireflies" is always mistaken as a Postal Service / DCfC song. People used to not believe me when I told them that wasn't Ben Gibbard singing.

That "Two Towers Epic Song" (Requiem For A Tower) is actually a re-orchestration of "Lux Aeterna" from Requiem for a Dream.

Danielsan

A lot of people, young women in particular, think that Bon Iver's song "Skinny Love" is originally is by Birdy. Sad times we live in.

Another recent one is James Blake's Limit To Your Love, which is originally a Feist song. Though granted, in that case Blake's rendition is better.

jmdajr

"Cum On Feel the Noize" is a rock song originally released by Slade

but most people think it's written by Quiet Riot.

Roy Orbison - San Francisco (Be Sure to Wear Flowers in Your Hair).

Scott McKenzie - San Francisco (Be Sure to Wear Flowers in Your Hair).

SuomiDude

I think Whiskey in the Jar fits this thread. When people talk Metallica's version which is by far the most famous and plays everywhere, people tend to remind how Metallica actually covered Thin Lizzy's original version. But of course Thin Lizzy's version is not the original one at all.

So this is about mislabeled mp3s from the Napster/Limewire era? Okay, here's one:

Thirteen years ago when Napster was new, I was amazed to discover that Bjork had covered 99 Red Balloons at some point! I couldn't wait to hear it. 25 minutes later when the song finished downloading, I was disappointed to find that it was just the original. :(

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Bowie recorded it for Aladdin Sane, though it wasn't included on the album. It is included on most of his "best of" compilations, though.

He's also clearly audible in the chorus for Mott the Hoople.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom