• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Songs famously attributed to the wrong artist

Status
Not open for further replies.

slit

I have one, but's it's not a song credited to the wrong artist but the wrong gender.

Goodbye Horses by Q Lazzarus from Silence of the Lambs is actually a women even though most think it's a man singing.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
For another one that's not exactly a mislabel but more the result of a more famous cover:

"Blinded by the Light" is a Bruce Springsteen song, but the more famous version is a cover by Manfred Mann's Earth Band. I'm not sure who people would guess performed it if you played the well-known cover version, though, considering I don't think Manfred Mann's Earth Band is a name that readily comes to mind for most people, and the Springsteen version is rarely used.

For another one that's not exactly a mislabel but more the result of a more famous cover:

"Blinded by the Light" is a Bruce Springsteen song, but the more famous version is a cover by Manfred Mann's Earth Band. I'm not sure who people would guess performed it if you played the well-known cover version, though, considering I don't think Manfred Mann's Earth Band is a name that readily comes to mind for most people, and the Springsteen version is rarely used.

"wrapped up like a douche in the middle of the night.."

EBCubs03

Banned
"Shadowplay" by Joy Division, not the killers! fuck the killers
LLShC.gif

the killers version is about 100 times better, though

joy division has the most boring sound :/ they are good, just a bit boring

(especially compared to the killers)

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
There was a novelty rap about Mario wanting to sex Peach called Warp to World 6-9. For years it was commonly attributed to MC Chris but it was actually by Benefit.

Parallacs

Before the age of Napster, my friends and I would trade .wav files on floppy disks.

I remember there was this one, based on that Chumbawumba song, about hunting down Sadam Husein and shooting him in the head (this was between the two wars).

The wav had The Beastie Boys as the artist. I must have passed that song onto a hundred people.

I think I remember reading that Neil Young's mom called him when she heard Horse With No Name on the radio to congratulate him on his latest hit... I might be making that up, though.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Manfred Mann's Blinded by the Light is the only thing related to Bruce Springsteen that isn't awful.

Mad World - Tears for Fears, not Gary Jules.
The Man Who Sold the World - David Bowie, not Kurt Cobain.
Major Tom - David Bowie, not every other person on Earth (specifically Peter Schilling).

thomaser

"Torn" became famous with Natalie Imbruglia. I always thought it was first sung by Trine Rein. Turns out it was originally by a group called Ednaswap.

Because the Night by Natalie Merchant... was also originally a Bruce Springsteen song.

If I were a Boy by Beyonce is a cover sort of.

And in the actual spirit of the thread, I thought that "I'm on Fire" by bruce springsteen was a johnny cash song the first time I heard it. Please don't burn me at the stake.

sqwarlock

Because the Night by Natalie Merchant... was also originally a Bruce Springsteen song.

If I were a Boy by Beyonce is a cover sort of.

And in the actual spirit of the thread, I thought that "I'm on Fire" by bruce springsteen was a johnny cash song the first time I heard it. Please don't burn me at the stake.

Off to listen to Bruce's "Because the Night". I can't even imagine what it sounds like.

EDIT: Oh my god it's worse than I feared.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I kind of thought the point of the thread was misattribution, not "X song is a cover." Nobody remembers the Slade version of "Cum On Feel the Noize." (okay, at least not in the US)

Kimaka

"Creep" is a Stone Temple Pilots song not Nirvana. I also thought it was Nirvana until my Dad set me straight. I remember having a hard time looking on the internet to confirm what my Dad told me since the song was usually under "Half the Man I Used to Be" and "Creep" was linked to the Radiohead song.

daviyoung

Banned
This happened a lot with DJs getting mis-labelled as producers because a song was ripped from one of their compilations/mixes.

e.g...

DJ Tiesto - Theme from A Clockwork Orange (actually Cygnus X - The Orange Theme)

Sasha and Digweed - Enjoy The Silence (actually Mike Koglin - The Silence (Tekara Mix)

Raiden

Banned
"Creep" is a Stone Temple Pilots song not Nirvana. I also thought it was Nirvana until my Dad set me straight. I remember having a hard time looking on the internet to confirm what my Dad told me since the song was usually under "Half the Man I Used to Be" and "Creep" was linked to the Radiohead song.

I was about to make a fool of myself by linking the supposed Nirvana song. I knew Stone Temple Pilots had the original but i thought there was a Nirvana cover that was more well known.

Does not help that youtube has this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEciKnfhr3Y

Parallacs

Not really wrong artist,

but your favorite video game song is Stickerbush Symphony, not Stickerbrush Symphony.

A mistake from the GBA version of the game has poisoned that song for eternity.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I thought Bittersweet Symphony was an Oasis song for the longest time when I was a kid for whatever reason.

CloudWolf

the killers version is about 100 times better, though

joy division has the most boring sound :/ they are good, just a bit boring

(especially compared to the killers)

What is this? Why is this?

OT: I used to have a Limewire-downloaded Weird Al 'Greatest Hits' collection. Turned out that only three of the songs were actually made by Weird Al.

Is this thread about missattributed, oversampled songs or both?

I'm pretty sure it was supposed to be about misattributed songs, but people are just posting songs where the cover is more well known than the original. I guess there's more to choose from that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom