• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Songs famously attributed to the wrong artist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jobiensis

Only one I can think of is "Send Me an Angel" by Real Life, it is often attributed to the Pet Shop Boys supposedly because of a mislabeled MP3.

It seems most people are mentioning more popular covers than "wrong artist". Many of those covers were much better, same as mad world being written by gary jules when it was a cover.

tenton

Somebody's Watching Me which most people think is a Michael Jackson song and actually does have him singing in the chorus.. but its a Rockwell song.

But nobody cares about Berry Gordy's son and his one hit wonder. He's only half singing, for the most part. People only remember the chorus anyways, which is distinctly Michael Jackson. I pretty much consider it as an MJ song; I did back then and I still do now.

antitrop

we're not talking about rip offs were talking about songs that are covered by another band and people dont realise they didnt create it i.e

Many people think that Jimi Hendrix wrote All along the watch tower but it was Bob Dylan
The intention of the thread was not necessarily covers, although they are probably the most prominent examples in the thread because of the confusion inherent in someone directly performing someone else's song.

Doesn't have to be a cover, though, there are plenty of songs done by only one single artist that people commonly attribute to someone else.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
The intention of the thread was not necessarily covers, although they are probably the most prominent examples in the thread because of the confusion inherent in someone directly performing someone else's song.

Doesn't have to be a cover, though, there are plenty of songs done by only one single artist that people commonly attribute to someone else.

Oh, i must've not understood the OP correctly. My bad ^_^

Azar

Two examples I can think of:

I discovered the band The Verve Pipe after hearing The Verve's Bittersweet Symphony and searching for more of their music. I got The Verve Pipe's The Freshman, loved that, and listened to music from both bands for weeks, if not months, before realizing they were actually different.

Similarly, I had an MP3 of Guster's Parachute mistagged as Coldplay's Parachute for about five years, and thought it was weird that it sounded so different from the rest of the Coldplay album. Took me forever to figure it out. I like Guster a lot more than Coldplay.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I keep forgetting that The Eye of the Tiger isn't performed by Frank Stallone

also, Caravan of Love by the Housemartins is a cover. Never knew it

komarkaze

There was a cover of Sexual Healing that had the verses replaced by reggae style rapping. Thought it was done by Shaggy but it was actually done by Max-a-Million.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom