• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations Announced [PS3 / XBOX 360 / PC / 3DS] - No Wii Version Official

Smithy C

Didn't Mega64 JUST release a video about getting excited about a new Sonic game? About how it looks good in screens or maybe trailers, but then whe you play it, it's horrible?

As long as it doesn't have the shitty elementary platforming from Colors, I'll be all in. Looks promising from the trailer, but I guess it isn't hard to make Sonic look promising from a trailer.

There is a weird irony that classic Sonic seems to for the most part play exactly how Sonic was supposed to in Sonic 4.

Also genuinely impressed as someone else pointed out this game looks even better (visually) than Sonic Fan Remix, considering how static Green Splash Hill Zone was.

As a fan of the faster Sonics like Rush, I think this is amazing. It's like the best of both worlds in one game!

Though it would probably be nicer if SEGA just kept separate ideas in separate games... But hey. I'm excited, and will probably get this.

Effect

From The Dust said:
ctrl+F: Nintendo

not in game description

smh Sega

This still confuses me. Unless they are coming up with a Sonic Colors 2 or just holding back an announcement not to spoil the new console announcement (that would have to be out this fall to match this) this seems like a slap in the face to Nintendo and Wii owners that bought past Sonic games this generation. Especially since Sonic has sold best on the Wii this generation. To completely ignore it for the anniversary doesn't make any bit of sense from a business stand point and from a community/fanbase standpoint. Not even a Nintendo 3DS version it seems either.

Azure J

Lucky Number Seven Force said:
Dimps did the DS version.

Oh derp, forgot about that. :lol

Edit: Depending on how this turns out, I'll be picking it up on PS3, but I'd be lying if I didn't say a part of me hopes it'll grace Wii2 as some sort of launch game, especially if something like a Colors 2 isn't planned for it.

After seeing this, why the fuck does Sonic 4 even exist? This looks like it's trying to accomplish the exact same thing and does it a million times better.

xprs22

Neo Member
YYYYYYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH BABY EFF YAAAAAA!!!!!! The only thing I can ask for is a stable 60fps and I'd buy BOTH COPIES!!!

Even after so many years of disaster after disaster, I still can't give up on that stupid little hedgehog. Like just about everyone else, I'm guardedly optimistic. The screens look wonderful, and the gameplay trailer looks surprisingly promising.

Platy

Ok ... i'm officialy Sonic Cycled !

I love how in the gameplay trailer modern sonic is so plastic and lifeless that even the grass is just a generic texture on the floor ... while classic sonic has true grass xD

Malajax

Called it!

Malajax said:
Early predictions:

If this a compilation game as we think it to be, I think New Sonic and Old Sonic will have completely different abilities and ways to get through levels. So playing through a revamped Green Hill Zone might be same old same old for Old Sonic, but a completely different experience for New Sonic. Vice versa applies for post Genesis stages. New Sonic has no problem with City Escape, Old Sonic might be in for some other challenges.

OR maybe when you play as Old Sonic it defaults to 2d on every stage, including the post Genesis stages. Vice versa for New Sonic. All Genesis era stages would be 3d.

I think it's something along those lines. Knowing SEGA they'll screw it up

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG

Day 1!! If the 3d parts are a mixture of Sonic Unleashed with the refined Sonic Colors elements, this game will be amazing.

farnham

Banned
Effect said:
This still confuses me. Unless they are coming up with a Sonic Colors 2 or just holding back an announcement not to spoil the new console announcement (that would have to be out this fall to match this) this seems like a slap in the face to Nintendo and Wii owners that bought past Sonic games this generation. Especially since Sonic has sold best on the Wii this generation. To completely ignore it for the anniversary doesn't make any bit of sense from a business stand point and from a community/fanbase standpoint. Not even a Nintendo 3DS version it seems either.
funny thing is nintendo even let them use mario for their sonic sports title. and it sold millions

not that it matters. if sega makes something worthwhile they will lol at nintendo. just like every other third party

Karkador

Banned
They have it in them to make a 2D Sonic game looking THAT good and faithful to the originals? It looks like there are actual physics going on, and no homing attack nonsense. What the hell was Sonic 4 about? Just don't even bother with the "modern" half of this, Sega.

Just seen the pics, this looks amazing! I am loving the "chubby" sonic 3D model and the environments look fantastic. Hopefully Sega can manage a multiplat release that holds up on both PS3 and 360 this time (if not I will buy the 360 version again).

Effect said:

I disagree, what about the PS3/360 sonic fans who would have loved to play Sonic colors (arguably the best 3D sonic game)? IMO Nintendo got Sonic colors Sony/MS get Generations, seems fair to me.

aaaaaa

sonic-generations-playstation-3-ps3-1303129557-001.jpg

When did that thing between his eye become nutsack-shaped?

SykoTech

So is Sega going to cancel the rest of the Episodes for Sonic 4? Or at least make it more like Classic Sonic is here? Seriously, after seeing this, there's no excuse for the way Sonic 4 was. I would be a giant slap in the face to see them continue with "broken physics/Homing Attack/Modern Sonic"-Sonic 4.

Articalys

Still not quite convinced they know what they're doing. Not until I see a full playthrough of one of the 2D levels.

But god damn does this look good.

Also, from the Iizuka interview:

"In this game we have the dream team partnership of modern Sonic and Classic Sonic, that's never been seen before," Iizuka-san says, confirming that gameplay will revolve around just the two blue hedgehogs - though former friends will return in some capacity (probably cut-scenes).

So at least you still only play as Sonic.

Platy

Effect said:

It is because Wii and 3DS (and probably random psp/ngp) will get another version of this game ..... WITHOUT MODERN SONIC !
taD1j.gif

[/insanely high hopes]

aaaaaa said:
http://image.jeuxvideo.com/images/p3/s/o/sonic-generations-playstation-3-ps3-1303129557-001.jpg[IMG]
When did that thing between his eye become nutsack-shaped?[/QUOTE]

it means Classic Sonic is super balls! :P

Not particularly sickening. I'm barely repulsed. Its almost inoffensive.

Sod it sod it sod it, I know I have to say something good, just take a deep breath Mama and say it...

The trailer was legitimately impressive, graphically at least. Their take on GHZ is pleasant. However the gameplay looks like more of the same rollercoaster 3D nonsense that I loathe, at least the Modern Sonic bits.

The Classic Sonic bits are the selling point, and I don't yet trust them to get them good.

I'd like to be wrong. I'd really like to be wrong.

Chinner

Banned
hopefully reviews will slate the modern sonic sections while praising classic sonic, making sega realise they can make more money if they actually give their fanbase what they want.

aaaaaa said:
http://image.jeuxvideo.com/images/p3/s/o/sonic-generations-playstation-3-ps3-1303129557-001.jpg
When did that thing between his eye become nutsack-shaped?

2h8df0k.png

Official Sonic 3 art. Pretty sure it was like that on the American Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 boxes, too.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Trailers looks wonderful! Unleashed was really good in so many ways and it seems as if they are taking the best aspects of that game and removing everything people didn't care for.

morningbus said:
So what you're telling me is:

1) Sonic is his own shitty friend?

2) Modern Sonic is this game's Werehog?
Not at all. The modern Sonic gameplay appears to be very much like that of Sonic Unleashed, which had amazing Sonic levels, while the classic Sonic is straight up 2.5D. That seems like a huge win to me.

They could have easily released a ROM dump of the first few games, but instead we get this?
I hope you're joking.

Didn't Mega64 JUST release a video about getting excited about a new Sonic game? About how it looks good in screens or maybe trailers, but then whe you play it, it's horrible?
Sonic Colors and the Sonic portion of Sonic Unleashed (360/PS3 version) were excellent. Really well designed and a ton of fun to play.

WillyFive

Goldmund said:
They could have easily released a ROM dump of the first few games, but instead we get this?

Sega does what Nintendon't.

Besides, Nintendo did Mario Galaxy 2 that year, so there was no need to go back to their roots when their new stuff was still glorious.

This has got me genuinely excited. That was a great idea to mix classic Sonic in 2D with new Sonic in the 3D environments. My only gripe is if they cut out the physics and jumping feel from the classic 2D portions and keep the Unleashed/Colors style. Classic Sonic's US design in 3D looks awesome as well and much better than the wussy smiley Sonic. I wonder if they're going to reuse some of the Adventure levels like Emerald Coast or Radical Highway?

Azure J

Mama Robotnik said:
Not particularly sickening. I'm barely repulsed. Its almost inoffensive.

Sod it sod it sod it, I know I have to say something good, just take a deep breath Mama and say it...

The trailer was legitimately impressive.

Mama praising a Sonic game trailer in the continuity where all modern Sonic games suck? Shit just got real. :lol

Can't wait for the months ahead of being excited over these screenshots.

...only to play the game at the end of the year and have 3D Sonic constantly hitting objects and falling into huge empty chasms and not responding to jumps properly. And have 2D sonic's run cycle being super slow and his jump will have floaty/wonky physics, and he also turns into a blue Yeti-Hog.

Can't wait.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Goldmund said:

Well they did, many times. Most recently on PSN with trophies for the first two games and soon 3. You can't go very fall without tripping over just rom dumps of the first few games thanks to SEGA.

So we got the old with that and now the old ideas that shall be more exciting and newer in colour, to paraphrase a certain BBC Controller of old.

AzureJericho said:
Mama praising a Sonic game trailer in the continuity where all modern Sonic games suck? Shit just got real. :lol

Visually they've got a pleasant aesthetic at last, and there appeared to be some potential platforming in there. Lets see what happens. If this is a return to form then I'm all for it, but the tiresome roller-coaster nonsense also made a sorry appearance and suggest that Sega haven't learned enough lessons.

Based on past pain, misery and torment, I think the chances of Sonic Generations actually being above-average are astronomically low.

I'd really really like to be wrong.

Xater

V_Ben said:
Good grief, that gameplay trailer looked... fun! whoa!

Well except for the modern Sonic parts.

The old Sonic stages already look better than Sonic 4 because I did not spot any auto-aim.

Utako

Banned
morningbus said:
So what you're telling me is:

1) Sonic is his own shitty friend?

2) Modern Sonic is this game's Werehog?
Get out of my head!

(I would very much like to play classic levels in the 3D perspective)

Top Bottom