• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing announced! (Ryo revealed! Yay three Shenmue fans!)

Diddy Kong Racing DS did it 3 fold, you can play as TT, Taj, and even Wizpig!

I only played a bit of it, but I wonder if Wizpig would call himself a little worm? :p

Hero of Legend said:
Diddy Kong Racing DS did it 3 fold, you can play as TT, Taj, and even Wizpig!

I only played a bit of it, but I wonder if Wizpig would call himself a little worm? :p

I think he changes his text- it's been a while, though.

Ben2749 said:
Did SST let multiple people choose the same character? I can't remember.

Yeah, and they'd all look the same with no alternate color scheme. Pretty dumb if you ask me. I didn't know whether I was coming or going. I was like a chicken with its head cut off. I was like a blind man saying "I see".

Okay, I'll stop.

I really hope Wikipedia and other sites are wrong in the tracks that have been identified based on screenshots/captures from video trailers so far. Hopefully, they're just different sections of the same courses.

Sonic the Hedgehog: Seaside Hill
Sonic the Hedgehog: Roulette Road
Sonic the Hedgehog: Final Fortress
Sonic the Hedgehog: Whale Lagoon
Sonic the Hedgehog: Turbine Loop
Billy Hatcher: Icycle Valley
Billy Hatcher: Dino Mountain
Super Monkey Ball: Jumble Jungle
Super Monkey Ball: Detritus Desert
Jet Set Radio: Tokyo-to
Jet Set Radio: 99th Street
Jet Set Radio Future: Shibuya Downtown
Samba de Amigo: Carnival
Samba de Amigo: Sunshine Tour
House of the Dead: Curien Mansion

If this list is accurate, some franchises are getting far too much representation, which reduces the amount of franchises that will get any rep at all. There's going to be 24 tracks in the game, but there's 15 here already. Five Sonic tracks is too many considering that none of the seem based on any of the classic Sonic games (meaning we're going to get more, or there won't be a classic Sonic track at all). As for Samba De Amigo, are two tracks really necessary for a one-off game (remakes aside) in which the environments are just backdrops? And as much as I love the Jet Set Radio games, do we really need three tracks?

I don't mind if franchises got multiple tracks by way of DLC, but to start with, I'd rather see a wider representation of franchises that aren't getting playable characters.

For now, since this is all based on speculation from screenshots and the like, I'm going to give Sumo the benefit of the doubt, as SST was so damn good with it's representation in terms of courts and minigames, I'm going to assume the same is true of the tracks here. Still, seeing the full track list would make me feel a little better.

Yup, eagle-eyed spotter Barry (aka "Dr. Eggman") from SSMB and Sega Nerds has been keeping track of the race tracks for us, and it is very disappointing how they decided to spread it out like that. They could have given us more variety, but oh well... what are you going to do? I say we have to sacrifice something; I mean, we got an awesome roster of characters. Plus there is always DLC if this Polish website is believable. Remember, Sega never finalized DLC and went as far as removing the listing on the SaSASR website from the Xbox 360 section.

NinMicroSega said:
Yup, eagle-eyed spotter Barry (aka "Dr. Eggman") from SSMB and Sega Nerds has been keeping track of the race tracks for us, and it is very disappointing how they decided to spread it out like that. They could have given us more variety, but oh well... what are you going to do? I say we have to sacrifice something; I mean, we got an awesome roster of characters. Plus there is always DLC if this Polish website is believable. Remember, Sega never finalized DLC and went as far as removing the listing on the SaSASR website from the Xbox 360 section.
Why do you say we have to sacrifice something? That doesn't make any sense at all. There is not a finite amount of SEGA fan service that can be contained in one game or anything.

Oh fiddlesticks, we spent it all on the characters, now we have to use crappy Sonic Heroes levels for the tracks.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
I don't like how the character's "super moves" are constantly emphasized in the trailers and marketing for this game.

Are those super moves activated EVERY TIME you're in last place? If so, that's going to suck majorly.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Why do you say we have to sacrifice something? That doesn't make any sense at all. There is not a finite amount of SEGA fan service that can be contained in one game or anything.

Oh fiddlesticks, we spent it all on the characters, now we have to use crappy Sonic Heroes levels for the tracks.

Yeah, I agree with that. But it seems like these guys didn't have much of a budget to begin with. I could see if this was in development for 3 or more years, but I think they were only given 1.5 years for this game (not even). So of course something has to be sacrificed. This isn't Super Smash Bros. Brawl that was given a shitload of funds and many developing studios to help produce it. This is Sumo Digital, by themselves, with god only knows how many people working on the game (for all we know, it could only be 10! :O). And on top of that, it's a lot of work in which they have to pull 27-hour shifts with only 1 hour of sleep some days. Talk about scaring you out of joining the industry! NAVY, here I come.

NinMicroSega said:

Like I said, I'm going to give Sumo the benefit of the doubt, and assume that in most cases, what look like different tracks are actually different parts of the same one. I wouldn't be surprised if the list of Sonic tracks is accurate, but three Jet Set Radio/two Samba De Amigo tracks definitely seems wrong to me.

I really hope that article that states there will bde DLC tracks is true, but since there's been no official word yet, I'm going to take that with a grain of salt.

NinMicroSega said:
Yeah, I agree with that. But it seems like these guys didn't have much of a budget to begin with. I could see if this was in development for 3 or more years, but I think they were only given 1.5 years for this game (not even). So of course something has to be sacrificed. This isn't Super Smash Bros. Brawl that was given a shitload of funds and many developing studios to help produce it. This is Sumo Digital, by themselves, with god only knows how many people working on the game (for all we know, it could only be 10! :O). And on top of that, it's a lot of work in which they have to pull 27-hour shifts with only 1 hour of sleep some days. Talk about scaring you out of joining the industry! NAVY, here I come.
Joining the games industry is best left to fools. Fools and liberals, I say! Ha haaa.

Vgamer

cjelly said:
Bill Hatcher :lol :lol :lol :lol

Let's waste 2 tracks on a game nobody's even played!

It is kinda strange they would spend two tracks on this game. The makers of the game must be big fans of it or something.

Here's a webcomic done by Jof from the NiGHTSintoDreams.com webstie:

flagman.jpg

I wouldn't doubt it if some Sega employees confused Big for NiGHTS. I mean, they can't even keep stuff under wraps when they have to fucking sign NDAs. I bet most of them don't even belong in the industry!

It's a long shot, but maybe NiGHTS isn't the only character who can start the race. Maybe him, Flagman, and possibly others alternate at random/depending on the track.

Hell, if there's an OutRun track (THERE BETTER BE AN OUTRUN TRACK), there's no reason Flagman can't still be standing to the side of the track and waving the flag/dancing, even if NiGHTS is still hovering about doing his thing as well.

ShadiWulf

I would of loved to seen Flagman as a cameo.

Maybe there is still hope for him if there is any track based on an actual driving course such as outrun.

We got Jen to ride a banana:

30bms8g.jpg

Now for some serious discussion, our friends over at SSMB spotted a change of that GAME Spain Ryo banner thingy:

11shxu9.jpg

So, it looks like Ryo's forklift is a downloadable vehicle for him to ride on all the time. Some questions we have about this are:

1. What is this alt skin's All-Star Move?
2. Is this DLC exclusive to the Xbox 360 version?
3. Is it only available in Spain?
4. Is it available for those who did not preorder?

Commence assumptions!

EDIT: Looks like I missed this-

"Gimme half a tick - sorry completely overworked/feel like crap atm - and I might be able to expand upon this."

^That is from SEGA Europe's Double-A UK. So this may become a blog post on the SEGA blogsite.

NinMicroSega said:
We got Jen to ride a banana:
2. Is this DLC exclusive to the Xbox 360 version?

There is a Ryo trailer also on the PS3, so probably not. But you never know what things change at the last minute these days.

jetsetfluken said:
There is a Ryo trailer also on the PS3, so probably not. But you never know what things change at the last minute these days.

This is referring to the forklift alternate skin, which has only shown up on the 360 side of things on the Spanish GAME website. Ryo is still appearing on all versions.

EDIT: Wow, what a load of crock. It's exclusive to Europe and Australia, but as a plus, PS3 users can also join in on the fun-

http://blogs.sega.com/sonic/2010/02...-use-ryos-forklift-normally-in-asr/#more-1068

ElFly

Fuck Flagman.

We need the Super Monaco GP guy that went flying into the sky if you ran it over with your car.

(disclaimer: dunno if flagman does this)

S0L explains why PS3 gamers aren't getting any exclusives:

"Plain stupid for various reasons? Really? We offer the pre-orderers something extra - which let's be fair, was actually a fair chunk of work for us to do properly. Especially as if you've pre-ordered at specific stores you're getting for free,

I have explained the PS3 situation - but it's in an interview that's not gone live yet. So I can't comment on this yet. When it's out, I'll happily link you to it. It's entirely possible that the explanation has actually been offered in this thread, but not be me too. Hypothetically speaking of course.

In the mean time, why not go play Metal Gear Solid 4, or Uncharted (1 or 2) and imagine my jealous face as a non-PS3 owner. Or even GTi Club+

---
S0L
---

"

Two users explain it perfectly:

"I must be honest, one thing I am surprised by is the lack of PS3/Wii/DS exclusive characters. When B&K were announced for 360, I had a feeling that each format, except the PC, would get it's own characters, yet all we've seen since are the Avatars for 360 and the Miis for Wii. What's seemingly making the PS3 unique is that it's the same as the PC version.

That said, it's also down to licensing. Microsoft/Rare were probably all for putting a character or two in ASR, but Nintendo/Sony might have been totally against it. You can't blame SEGA, or SUMO, for something that isn't their fault, if indeed that's the case.
"

-and-

"Sony have got their own kart racer to worry about, which is probably why there isn't any PS3 exclusive content announced."

It's your company-of-choice's ego that is to blame, so don't be pinning this on SEGA/Sumo.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Wait... so Ryo's forklift is a pre-order bonus at certain retailers for only the 360 and PS3 versions?

How the fuck does that work? :lol

I'm not expecting that Forklift Ryo will get a seperate All-Star move. If they programmed a whole new All-Star move into the game, they wouldn't make it exclusive to only a handful of people (Europeans/Australians who pre-ordered). His forklist will probably just get the standard speed increase/ramming power it normally has when "Bike Ryo" summons it.

I wonder if this could mean there's a possibility of future DLC that enables more characters to use their All-Star move as their normal means of getting around. It wouldn't make sense for some characters (for example, Amy, who remains in her car and swings her hammer around), but rolling around in AiAi's monkey ball or skating around with Beat would be awesome.

EDIT: Somebody on the Sonic Stadium forums mentioned that it would be cool if the main theme from the Sonic Mega Collection games played on a Sonic course. Holy shit, that would be AWESOME; I love that track. In fact, I loved pretty much all the original music in Sonic Mega Collection. I love how they went the extra mile and came up with some really great music tracks for just a series of menus.

On a side-note, I pray that we see music as DLC in S&SAR. It wouldn't even be that hard to add (assuming they're the originals, and not remixes). The soundtrack in Brawl is one of my favourite aspects of the whole game, as I'm a big videogame music nut, and I would have killed to see it recieve more tracks over time. Hopefully, we might see that here instead.

Its not like Valkyria Chronicles is a Sega property that is exclusive to Sony consoles, is based around an interesting vehicle (that already exists as PS3 built 3d models) and has more to do with Sega than a fucking N64 bear would have made an amazing amount of sense and not required any external licensing, but hey, someone set out to make a game where Billy Hatcher gets the most disproportionate amount of fanservice possible so who are to argue with such keen minds :lol

goldenpp72

SecretBonusPoint said:
Its not like Valkyria Chronicles is a Sega property that is exclusive to Sony consoles, is based around an interesting vehicle (that already exists as PS3 built 3d models) and has more to do with Sega than a fucking N64 bear would have made an amazing amount of sense and not required any external licensing, but hey, someone set out to make a game where Billy Hatcher gets the most disproportionate amount of fanservice possible so who are to argue with such keen minds :lol

Why would sega put a sega property as an exclusive char? I think the whole point is that it's a guest character, valkryia isn't owned by sony.

It just seems to be inviting a particular platforms audience's rage/disinterest/negative press if the 360 gets that goddam bear and avatars, the Wii version gets Mii's and the PS3 version gets *tumbleweed*. It was also mainly in response to the above nonsense about Sony not wanting to play ball when we have minutes from a meeting they had over the exact same concept where it is mentioned :lol

goldenpp72

SecretBonusPoint said:
It just seems to be inviting a particular platforms audience's rage/disinterest/negative press if the 360 gets that goddam bear and avatars, the Wii version gets Mii's and the PS3 version gets *tumbleweed*. It was also mainly in response to the above nonsense about Sony not wanting to play ball when we have minutes from a meeting they had over the exact same concept where it is mentioned :lol

I don't think it's a coincidence that MS is the only one without a kart game, and MS is the only one to get a char. Sega probably would have loved ratchet and mario to appear, but nintendo and sony probably would rather have their own kart games in the limelight.

I'd bet money this is entirely sony/nintendo and not sega.

goldenpp72

SecretBonusPoint said:
or could just be Sega being Sega :lol

I doubt it, sega isn't as dumb as they used to be, and I don't say that like it's a good thing as i'd rather they bankrupt while doing panzer and shenmues :p

This game comes out like a month prior to modnation, if that, sony probably didn't show the interest at this point.

Top Bottom