• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing announced! (Ryo revealed! Yay three Shenmue fans!)

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
So here's how I see the pros and cons between the 360 and Wii versions, which I'm still undecided between:

Xbox 360 pros
  • teh HD!!1!11
  • Gamerpoints (lol)
  • Possible DLC
  • Easier to play with people online

Xbox 360 cons
  • Stupid Banjo-Kazooie on boxart and in game — I've never played a Banjo game, I don't care about him and he doesn't belong in a Sega game
  • One-piece controller, which is less comfortable than Wii's two-piece controller
  • More expensive

Wii pros
  • No fucking unnecessary bear-with-bird
  • Two-piece controller (Wiimote+nunchuk), which is more comfortable
  • Less expensive

Wii cons
  • 480p only, boo-hiss
  • No DLC!
  • No gamerpoints (lol)
  • Harder to play with people online

I just don't know...

Gagaman

jetsetfluken said:
Hmm...combining Jacky from VF and Outrun car into one character...I guess that was smart. I mean, what else would Jacky drive?
He drove the Hornet in the VF Kids cut scenes. But this is fine too.

Danthrax said:
So here's how I see the pros and cons between the 360 and Wii versions, which I'm still undecided between:

Xbox 360 pros
  • teh HD!!1!11
  • Gamerpoints (lol)
  • Possible DLC

Xbox 360 cons
  • Stupid Banjo-Kazooie on boxart and in game — I've never played a Banjo game, I don't care about him and he doesn't belong in a Sega game
  • One-piece controller, which is less comfortable than Wii's two-piece controller
  • More expensive

Wii pros
  • Less expensive

Wii cons
  • 480p only, boo-hiss
  • No DLC!
  • No gamerpoints (lol)

I just don't know...

Well, the pros and cons pretty much balance out according to what you typed above. I'd go with whatever one your friends are getting. Online play is going to be where your replay value is really going to pay off. I'm getting the 360 version because I'm a graphics whore.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Upsidedown Fuji said:
Well, the pros and cons pretty much balance out according to what you typed above. I'd go with whatever one your friends are getting. Online play is going to be where your replay value is really going to pay off. I'm getting the 360 version because I'm a graphics whore.

I'm pretty sure none of my real-life friends will get this game, but if any of them did, I'm sure it would be the 360 version. Most of them have Wiis but seem to try their hardest to forget.

Danthrax said:
Xbox 360 cons

Wii pros

I just don't know...
The biggest nitpick I have ever seen.
Who complains over having more characters?

Rlan said:
Akira_Jacky_Artwork_Sonic_SEGA_All-.jpg

Now can you Outrun whiners stop it now? :lol
It works without Akira being there, he feels out of place :lol but cool.

Also a first for "outrun", the blonde is driving :lol

With how small sonic is to a human, sonic's blue car must be tiny compared to that ferrari clone.

But there is an Outrun stage complete with Splash Wave remix, right?
Right?

Upsidedown Fuji said:
I can't wait to find this in my mailbox later next week.

This comes out on the 23rd.

Diablohead said:
It works without Akira being there, he feels out of place :lol but cool.

Also a first for "outrun", the blonde is driving :lol

Yeah, wouldn't it had been more fitting for a VF female character to be in the other seat?

Rlan said:
Akira_Jacky_Artwork_Sonic_SEGA_All-.jpg

Now can you Outrun whiners stop it now? :lol

No, as that picture actually makes me think it's less likely we'll see Alberto as DLC in the future, as their cars would look too similar.

I have no problem with Jacky and Akira being in the game, but it should have been Alberto and one of the OutRun girls in that car. :-(

Although, the fact that they seem to have went out of their way to make it look like a car from OutRun gives me more hope for an OutRun track. If there is an OutRun track, and has plenty of OutRun music, I'll be happy.

S0L

SUMO DIGITAL
You can blame Akira on our Japanese producer - he's a massive VF fan.

They work really well in game, trading blows for example and Akira is integral to their All-Star move too.

Besides, Jacky + Akira in a bright red sportscar. How much more love could we send AM2 in one racer slot.

For all those moaning about Banjo in the 360 version too - he's purely an extra character that appears in the character select screen. There is no change to the games title in-game - it looks exactly like it does on the other platforms. Why folk feel the need to complain about something extra you're getting for free, I don't know. If it really offends you so much you could always print out your own custom box cover :p

---
S0L
---

GrayFoxPL

They've put in regular versions of the Virtua Fighter characters?!

I was sure they wouldn't be that stupid not to include kids version for better blending with the cast.

Oh yes, Sega is that stupid

S0L said:

They work really well in game, trading blows for example and Akira is integral to their All-Star move too.

Besides, Jacky + Akira in a bright red sportscar. How much more love could we send AM2 in one racer slot.

For all those moaning about Banjo in the 360 version too - he's purely an extra character that appears in the character select screen. There is no change to the games title in-game - it looks exactly like it does on the other platforms. Why folk feel the need to complain about something extra you're getting for free, I don't know. If it really offends you so much you could always print out your own custom box cover :p

---
S0L
---

Yeah, Banjo isn't a big deal. I think it just bothers people who love their boxart. Printing a custom one wouldn't be all that bad of an idea if you're into that kind of stuff.

As for me, that box will just be in the rack with the rest of my other games. I doubt I'll ever really see the box art outside of when I remove the game from the case.

Danthrax said:

Xbox 360 pros
  • teh HD!!1!11
  • Gamerpoints (lol)
  • Possible DLC

Xbox 360 cons
  • More expensive

Wii pros
  • Less expensive

Wii cons
  • 480p only, boo-hiss
  • No DLC!
  • No gamerpoints (lol)

I just don't know...

This has got to rank as one of the dumbest post IO have ever seen on here. Man, some of you folks need to start going to church.

B_Rik_Schitthaus said:
The biggest nitpick I have ever seen.
Who complains over having more characters?

He's being forced to use them so that's why he is complaining.

I'm also a Sonic fan from the 90s.

You could always get the PS3 version if Banjo bothers you so much. Personally I'm getting 360 and PS3 versions for completion reasons.
Not entirely bothered by not having Banjo in the other versions, because to me the Banjo/Kazooie in this game represents the "bad/modern Rare". You know, the square faced, disgrace Banjo from N&B. This is coming from a huge fan of the N64 titles.
If anything I'm happy the versions I'm playing will not include Banjo, will try it out for the novelty, yes, but after that, nope.

Poona

I'm also a Sonic fan from the 90s.

FWIW though I love Banjo being in the game. I loved playing Diddy Kong Racing, where Banjo made his debut and also raced, and to see him doing it all over again at least to some degree makes up for there being no follow-up to Diddy Kong Racing (whether it was Donkey Kong Racing or the later Sabreman Stampede).

So it makes a strong point for me to pick up the 360 version over the PS3. I wont really be able to play online like I can on the PS3 (am not going to pay to play multiplayer), but hopefully the split screen racing can make up for that.

Seeing JSR stuff not cel-shaded always feels amazingly wrong. JSR and some of the Sonic levels are good picks for tracks but theres a lot of really...weird choices that lead me to believe being able to just grab Gamecube/Xbox assets was what lead to most of the track decisions due to the ease of going with already created concept art/basic geometry/textures that just needed up-rezzing. This is the only way I can possibly explain any kind of Billy Hatcher track making it in :lol

OMG Aero

I find it funny that there are people crying about Banjo Kazooie being in the game but Big is perfectly fine.

It's just an extra character, and a good one at that, get over it.

Poona said:
FWIW though I love Banjo being in the game. I loved playing Diddy Kong Racing, where Banjo made his debut and also raced, and to see him doing it all over again at least to some degree makes up for there being no follow-up to Diddy Kong Racing (whether it was Donkey Kong Racing or the later Sabreman Stampede).

If you put it like that, the appeal becomes a bit more appealing.
Such a shame we never got a real DKR sequel, and now with Rare separated + Nintendo owning Diddy, it will never "properly" happen.
So, this game here has that much more importance to make up for that void.:D

Seeing Billy Hatcher, the Bonanza Brothers, Banjo Kazooie and House of the Dead EX characters in a Sega All-Stars game, now in screenshots so it's not some fucked up whiskey fever dream I'm having, is actually giving me a real life headache. I'm still gonna rent the thing at this point due to Ryo inclusion, but damn, is this all the work of "that guy" on the team who kept calling for the most inane and bizarre inclusions possible?

S0L said:

---
S0L
---

I'd like to think nobody is actually displeased to see Akira or Jacky. I don't care for Virtua Fighter in the least, but as you and others have said regarding Banjo, more characters is never a bad thing. Even so though, considering I'm not all that familiar with them, I think they look pretty badass.

Looking at those screenshots, I've noticed that both of those tracks have 9 laps. I'm assuming you get to choose how many laps you do, as surely the only way 9 laps would be the default would be if they were ridiculously short. And that doesn't appear to be the case, certainly not looking at the Jet Set Radio Future track, anway. On a related note, I hope that there's an option for a minimap.

Also, I wasn't aware that MeeMee, GonGon, and Baby appeared for AiAi's All Star move. That's cool, but it's odd how they're all really spaced out in that screenshot.

Gamesmaster gave it 83% in their review. That's a good score, and even though they say it's "not a Mario Kart beater", I found Mario Kart Wii disappointing, and 8-player online with voice chat instantly makes this more appealing to me.

Backflip

I read the GamesMaster (or whatever the magazine is called) review and I didn't agree with their complaints about the weapons. Having played the game a while ago I remember the weapons quite well and I know that they're not just Mario Kart ripoffs. Some of them (like the Sonic Shoes) were quite clearly inspired by Mario Kart but others were brand new. If I remember correctly (and I hope that I'm not saying something that's incorrect) there isn't a weapon in Mario Kart that turns your screen upside down for example. And even then, Mario Kart is the best game of its genre, it's only natural to be inspired by what it does well.

S0L

SUMO DIGITAL
SecretBonusPoint said:
Seeing JSR stuff not cel-shaded always feels amazingly wrong. JSR and some of the Sonic levels are good picks for tracks but theres a lot of really...weird choices that lead me to believe being able to just grab Gamecube/Xbox assets was what lead to most of the track decisions due to the ease of going with already created concept art/basic geometry/textures that just needed up-rezzing. This is the only way I can possibly explain any kind of Billy Hatcher track making it in :lol

Wow. Just. Wow.

Quick lads, down tools, they've rumbled us!

Seriously though - whilst we might have looked at some of the source games, the only assets we've been able to make use of from Xbox/GCN gen are promotional renders, and then only as reference assets.

Yep we've recreated the look of the games, but that takes quite a chunk of work. If it didn't, we'd have released this 6 months after SST, not 2 and a half years later :p

Can't you guys simply accept that we like Billy Hatcher? :)

---
S0L
---

It's great how open you are in talking to people and addressing questions, S0L, but I'd be lying if I said that I wouldn't like to see you unleash the unbridled fury that some of the stupider people/questions must bring on when they make light of the hard work you guys put in.

RAMPAGE. You'll feel better for it. :)

S0L

SUMO DIGITAL
Ben2749 said:
It's great how open you are in talking to people and addressing questions, S0L, but I'd be lying if I said that I wouldn't like to see you unleash the unbridled fury that some of the stupider people/questions must bring on when they make light of the hard work you guys put in.

RAMPAGE. You'll feel better for it. :)

Nah, it's been easy. All we did is everytime I saw moans and complaints, we adjusted the character roster downwards.

You'd have had Ristar, Vectorman, Sketch Turner, Gilius, Joe Musashi and a host of others if it wasn't for all the wahhhwahhhh on the forums :p Been surprisingly carthartic that.

Good job we started with so many, else it would have been a Sonic Time Trial game on one Seaside Hill track.

Also Jacky and Sarah in one car? How would they manage to race whilst she was busy trying to kill him?

---
S0L
---

S0L said:
Can't you guys simply accept that we like Billy Hatcher? :)

---
S0L
---
Did you guys play that one level late in the game where you have to roll the egg that must not be broken on a track around a gate while you go through and you have to get through fast or else the egg will get out ahead of you and break but the camera can't fucking get around the gate so you have to do it blind?

cuz if you did and you still like Billy Hatcher then you guys are even sicker bastards than I thought.

RedBoot

I don't really understand the complaints about Banjo either. Even if you hate him, it's just more characters. I'm more bothered by the apparent lack of any extra character for the PS3 version, since that's the one I'm getting.

Then again, with Opa Opa in the game, it's not like I'd use anyone else anyway.

S0L said:
Nah, it's been easy. All we did is everytime I saw moans and complaints, we adjusted the character roster downwards.

You'd have had Ristar, Vectorman, Sketch Turner, Gilius, Joe Musashi and a host of others if it wasn't for all the wahhhwahhhh on the forums :p Been surprisingly carthartic that.

Good job we started with so many, else it would have been a Sonic Time Trial game on one Seaside Hill track.

Also Jacky and Sarah in one car? How would they manage to race whilst she was busy trying to kill him?

---
S0L
---
No Saturn characters, even in the make believe wishlist? You guys really must hate SEGA's best system. :/

S0L said:

DLC characters confirmed! :D

Top Bottom