• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing announced! (Ryo revealed! Yay three Shenmue fans!)

Neuromancer said:
There should be a Rez track (if Sega has the rights.)

They (mostly meaning Steve Lycett) asked them (Japanese business folk) if a Rez track could be used. We don't know what the answer was, but we'll find out soon enough.

S0L

SUMO DIGITAL
NinMicroSega said:
They (mostly meaning Steve Lycett) asked them (Japanese business folk) if a Rez track could be used. We don't know what the answer was, but we'll find out soon enough.

Did I? I don't think I've ever admitted such a thing in public :p

---
S0L
---

I don't know what system to get this on (I own all of them). ;(

I haven't even picked up the Sega tennis game yet, despite seeing it cheap on 360 around....... for some reason I just thought tennis = Wii and figured I'd get that one some day. :lol I don't know why but that is how my brain works.

Cool to see Billy Hatcher, haha I remember that game.

Any Phantasy Star Online stuff in either the tennis or racing one?

Or Wonder Boy? I want Wonder Boy stuff. ;(

NeonZ

NinMicroSega said:
Nintendo should do a Nintendo All-Stars Racing (they don't need Mario in the title in order to make that sell). And they wouldn't kick out Link or Fox like SEGA did to poor Gilius and NiGHTS. Bastards.

That would just cheapen Nintendo's older All Star franchise, Smash Bros. In Smash Bros, you're actually playing with those characters. In a racing game, you're just playing with assorted vehicles themed after those characters. They could get one special attack or so, but that'd be the only unique detail about them... Keep Mario Kart as Mario Kart.

Personally, I think the Mario RPG franchise is much more adequate for an "All Star" reboot. Sega is in a different situation. They don't have anything like Smash Bros, so this game isn't stealing sales from anything else.

DonMigs85

NeonZ said:
That would just cheapen Nintendo's older All Star franchise, Smash Bros. In Smash Bros, you're actually playing with those characters. In a racing game, you're just playing with assorted vehicles themed after those characters. They could get one special attack or so, but that'd be the only unique detail about them... Keep Mario Kart as Mario Kart.

Personally, I think the Mario RPG franchise is much more adequate for an "All Star" reboot. Sega is in a different situation. They don't have anything like Smash Bros, so this game isn't stealing sales from anything else.
Actually I think this idea could work, as long as it's got great production values. Maybe the next Kart game for the Wii's successor?

NeonZ

DonMigs85 said:
Actually I think this idea could work, as long as it's got great production values. Maybe the next Kart game for the Wii's successor?

I don't think it'd sell badly or anything, but I don't think it'd be an improvement over Mario Kart's sales either and it'd also unnecessarily hurt the Smash Bros brand.

Considering the sales that Mario Kart Wii has gotten, most of the people buying the game probably wouldn't even care about any extra franchises slapped on. Keeping the Mario brand is just better.

Conrad Link said:
I don't know what system to get this on (I own all of them). ;(

I haven't even picked up the Sega tennis game yet, despite seeing it cheap on 360 around....... for some reason I just thought tennis = Wii and figured I'd get that one some day. :lol I don't know why but that is how my brain works.

Your brain works stupidly. The Wii version of tennis is gimped beyond repair having glitches and unresponsive controls, that's why it is the cheapest version (about $14.96 at Wally World). Get the superior 360 versions of tennis and racing, you'll be satisfied. 30fps is not a big deal because most 360/PS3 games run at that speed anyway.

I want this for my 360 just to go along with my already existing game collection but this is the year where I am also dropping my live sub (really don't use it much any more apart from some racing in forza or something, and I use GFWL a lot more now days) so i;ll end up with 360 and pc versions at some point this year i'm sure :D

Yeah seriously, NinMicroSega, you really should tone the attitude down a bit. I've seen some of your openly hostile posts at the Sonic Stadium, and considering you're a junior member here (and therefore any ban is a permanent one), you might want to not risk that here.

Even if you weren't trying to be offensive with that last comment, it certainly looks that way to others.

Ben2749 said:
Yeah seriously, NinMicroSega, you really should tone the attitude down a bit. I've seen some of your openly hostile posts at the Sonic Stadium, and considering you're a junior member here (and therefore any ban is a permanent one), you might want to not risk that here.

Understood, although I thought that the word "stupidly" would have indicated a joke post, but I guess I should not use any words that insult users regardless of it being a joke or not.

EDIT:

Characters that need to be unlocked from SEGA Miles (not a complete list):

Alex Kidd
Big the Cat
Ryo Hazuki
Bonanza Bros.
Opa-Opa
B.D. Joe
Jacky Bryant and Akira Yuki

I'm assuming the ChuChu Rocket mice also have to be unlocked, so that leaves us with at least 8 characters we have to unlock.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
NinMicroSega said:
30fps is not a big deal
:lol :lol Yes, 30fps is most definitely a big deal.

If this game would have been developed by a team in Sega Japan, you can bet your life it would have been 60fps on all platforms. The importance of 60fps in a game like this isn't even arguable.

Wii one looks ok, if it has GameCube/Classic controller support might get that one as its the 'local multiplayer system' round here because of Mario Kart already.

Although, Achievements are nice lol.

RobbieNick

Is it just me, or does that video make it look....

A.) Almost as good as the 360/PS3 versions.

B.) Much smoother in framerate than those version?

Conrad Link said:
Wii one looks ok, if it has GameCube/Classic controller support might get that one as its the 'local multiplayer system' round here because of Mario Kart already.

Sadly, Mr. Lycett said implementing the GameCube controller would mess up their input/output system.

That's probably why Tatsunoko vs. Capcom has a specific controller structure set up. Every time you turn on the game, it says something about if there is a GameCube controller in any of the slots, a GameCube controller must be used to play.

EDIT:

We could have had Vectorman and Ristar.

Gameplay in the UK are now listing the forklift Ryo character as a pre-order bonus and it mentions that the character will need to be downloaded from Xbox Live/PSN (most likely an unlock code). I'm going to assume this means GAME and Gamestation will also have this offer since the three stores are all part of the same company.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
S0L said:
Nah, it's been easy. All we did is everytime I saw moans and complaints, we adjusted the character roster downwards.

You'd have had Ristar, Vectorman, Sketch Turner, Gilius, Joe Musashi and a host of others if it wasn't for all the wahhhwahhhh on the forums :p Been surprisingly carthartic that.

Good job we started with so many, else it would have been a Sonic Time Trial game on one Seaside Hill track.

Also Jacky and Sarah in one car? How would they manage to race whilst she was busy trying to kill him?

---
S0L
---

Saying we could have had VectorMan in this game is not funny/ >-(

So is the Wii version 30 FPS as well?

And don't even talk to me about the PC version, brain_stew. I have a Dell laptop. It barely runs TF2. I can't imagine what horrors ASR would do to it.

Superfrog

30 fps for 360/PS3 is a letdown, but to be honest, I never really expected the game to run at 60 fps. :/

What worries me most at the moment is the lack of information regarding OutRun, Daytona/SRC and Scud Race tracks... There needs to be at least some kind of combined "medley track" of all three scenarios.

could it be that the Wii version runs in 60fps?
it appers to look (a lot) smoother than the HD versions.
(I know you can't trust internet vids but anyway)

Nakasan

All the chatter about FPS, has there been any official comment at all about it? This will be my deciding factor over wether to get the PS3 or Wii version.

Rlan

So I bought Sega Superstar Tennis because EB Games have been inundated with the damn things since they were a pack in and so preowned copies are now a whopping $4 in Australia.

Man, I really do hope they fix up the music and voices in S&SASR.

Pick Eggman:

"Bwehehehehehe!"

"Bwehehehehehe!"

"Bwehehehehehe!"

"Bwehehehehehe!"

"Bwehehehehehe!"

"Bwehehehehehe!"

"Bwehehehehehe!"

"Bwehehehehehe!"

"Bwehehehehehe!"

"Bwehehehehehe!"

S0L

SUMO DIGITAL
We've got an alternative version of Ryo as a pre-order bonus - don't worry, he still appears in the game though, we'd have had pitchforks and torches if pre-order was the only way to get him :p

---
S0L
---

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
S0L said:
We've got an alternative version of Ryo as a pre-order bonus - don't worry, he still appears in the game though, we'd have had pitchforks and torches if pre-order was the only way to get him :p

---
S0L
---

What is the Wii version's frame rate?

Rlan

Ryo is NOT a downloadable character. His Motorbike version of him is available through the game as an unlock. This version has him get into a forklift for his super move.

What is downloadable as an add-on is a Forklift only variant, where he's on a Forklift all the time. THAT is what is downloadable.

Find me the fans that were making a louder noise for Billy Hatcher, the Bonanza Brothers and House of the Dead EX characters to be in over Ristar, Valkyria Chronicles or Panzer Dragoon please (and NiGHTS for a while there!). These are the types of fans whose voices need to be silenced forever.

Rlan said:
Ryo is NOT a downloadable character. His Motorbike version of him is available through the game as an unlock. This version has him get into a forklift for his super move.

What is downloadable as an add-on is a Forklift only variant, where he's on a Forklift all the time. THAT is what is downloadable.
Thank you for clearing this up. I'll probably get the forklift only variant dlc anyway. :D

jay

SecretBonusPoint said:
Find me the fans that were making a louder noise for Billy Hatcher, the Bonanza Brothers and House of the Dead EX characters to be in over Ristar, Valkyria Chronicles or Panzer Dragoon please (and NiGHTS for a while there!). These are the types of fans whose voices need to be silenced forever.

There's someone at that Sonic site who's mad that Time Stalkers characters aren't included in the game. First of all, no characters from that series should be in the game above PDS characters. Secondly, Nigel and Friday are better than anyone from Time Stalkers since they were in a good game.

Rlan said:

In other words, GAF went stupid for 4 posts straight; three of them being after S0L's explaination.

SecretBonusPoint said:

Why in the hell are people complaining about the Bonanza Bros? They're one of the most awesome picks in the whole roster.

You'll be complaining about the inclusion of Opa Opa next..............

Top Bottom