• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: 3D to come to 'all' PS3s by Mar 2011; 33m+ PSN accounts registered

patsu

Qore is already a subscription-based service. Would be interesting to see what else they have in mind. They may leave it up to individual brands to have subscription models, or unify them with bulk deals, or have h/w leasing.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
TTP said:
Interesting to see those "Sony Online Service (temporary name)" references, especially where it says "Deploy Sony Online Service (temporary name) leveraging PlayStation Network infrastructure".

Perhaps they will eventually come up with a global online service (relevant to all online enabled Sony platforms) and ditch the "PlayStation Network" name.

Well, I always kind of wondered how comfortable other parts of Sony would be about using the Playstation Network branding for their network stuff.

Given that it'll apparently use the same IDs as on PSN too, I think it's just basically PSN under a different name for those other products.

Miburou said:
I tried Wipeout HD in 3D at TGS this year. It was ok, but didn't really blow me away.

Having said that, I have the 3D Vision bundle from nVidia, so hopefully I can use my Samsung monitor and the nVidia glasses with the PS3.

I don't get the 3D hype either. I've seen several movies in 3D but honestly I could live without it.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
FWIW, there will be a recording of the presentation on Sony's site 'shortly'. So that might give us clarification of the 'subscription' part of that PSN slide (or not, if they gloss over it). We'll see.

itxaka

Defeatist
brain_stew said:
No, shutter glasses have tiny LCD screens inside each lens that switch on and off 120 times a second in sync with the display.

Ugh, how much are those? I guess they aren't cheap at all :(

Miburou

shuyin_ said:
What kind of 3D tech will they use for home TVs? If they use anaglyph (think Coraline DVD in 3D), they shouldn't bother with it.

The one demoed at TGS used LCD-shutter glasses (like the nVidia 3D Vision one).

xenorevlis said:
The ones used for PS3's 3D are similar to polarized glasses used for 3D cinema.

No they're not (at least they weren't last time I checked), Sony's using active shutter glasses, just like everyone else.

Takao

Banned
PSGames said:
When you combine "enrichment of PSN services" and then under the Game Section you see "New revenue from Subscription". What else could it be?

I guess they could do a Qore revamp. But I'm not seeing many other options.

Rental service for PSP, PS Archives, and PSN games is a possibility. Create unlimited rentals for ___ low price. Or a rent to own ("pay ___ for ___ months to own this game"), etc.

I'm surprised no one else brought that up, it's been a pretty large rumor for months now.

MrPliskin

Banned
Danielsan said:
Those 33 million PSN account don't really mean anything.
I have a Dutch, American, English and Japanese account. :lol

If every person who has made an account has 3 accounts, then that is still 11,000,000 users who are on PSN.

Still think it doesn't mean anything?

If they changed the video library to a reasonable monthly subscription model, I might be interested, because right now, the prices are ridiculous; I've never gotten a single thing from the video store.

Takao

Banned
MrPliskin said:
If every person who has made an account has 3 accounts, then that is still 11,000,000 users who are on PSN.

Still think it doesn't mean anything?

There are 50+million PSPs out there, and 25+ million PS3's out there. Put 11 million into that context.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Danielsan said:
Those 33 million PSN account don't really mean anything.
I have a Dutch, American, English and Japanese account. :lol
Yeah, every PS3 owner I know has at least 2 accounts; obviously to access the EU/US PSN stores.

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
The beauty of 3d as far as video games go as the "3d data" is already present. So if you like using traditional 2d display, you can do that without any problem.

As displays transition into 120hz there is a potential upside for 2d games like Street Fighter 2. Capcom could make a version that runs at 120 frames per second.

MrPliskin

Banned
Takao said:
There are 50+million PSPs out there, and 25+ million PS3's out there. Put 11 million into that context.

How does that put anything into context?

11 Million is a fucking huge pool. That's a LOT of people to potentially get money from, especially when your services offer video, dlc, and games.

And do you REALLY think every user has multiple PSN ID's? Really? I'd say it would be pretty accurate to say there are at least 15 Million + unique users who are on PSN, either playing online or buying content.

Hell, if 10% of those people are buying content then you're making pretty good money through DD.

But hey, let's "put things into perspective" because PSN isn't XBL. Did I do it right?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
smh. Stop arguing over numbers you're not even clear on.

I highly doubt the average number of PSN accounts per connected machine is remotely close to 3.

Obviously when Sony talks about registered PS3 accounts that includes dupes and PSP etc. etc. That's all well worn ground at this stage. Trying to guess visibility beyond that is a bit futile - sure, it'd be nice if Sony gave a 'unique connected machines' number, but cest la vie.

MrPliskin

Banned
gofreak said:

I highly doubt the average number of PSN accounts per connected machine is remotely close to 3.

Obviously when Sony talks about registered PS3 accounts that includes dupes and PSP etc. etc. That's all well worn ground at this stage. Trying to guess visibility beyond that is a bit futile - sure, it'd be nice if Sony gave a 'unique connected machines' number, but cest la vie.

I agree with you completely that it's ridiculous to think every person has 3 PSN accounts.

At the same time I also think it's ridiculous for people to try to spin these numbers into a joke. 90% of the time it's to make the point "Hey, PSN isn't legit, you can make as many accounts as you want". It's stupid.

In Feb, wasn't there something like 10 Million XBL accounts? I don't remember very well, anyone got solid numbers?

Does Sony understand that we're all in the midst of a global recession? Why don't they chill the fuck out with all this expensive high-tech shit and let the standard HD market saturate some more. Fuck.

Bit-Bit

NintendosBooger said:
Does Sony understand that we're all in the midst of a global recession? Why don't they chill the fuck out with all this expensive high-tech shit and let the standard HD market saturate some more. Fuck.

Hey everyone, look at this poor person. If you can't afford it then quit the hobby you lower class heathen.

I'm joking of course. Though all this expensive shit don't bother me. Just start saving. Open up a gaming account and put $20 in it every week. By the end of the year of 2010. You'll have enough money to buy all the shit Sony wants you to buy in 2011.

Chris R

I'd rather have sw ps2 emulation over 3d. I missed out on so many good ps2 games that I want to buy digitally so my wallet doesn't get owned by stupid high rare item prices. Plus if I get a 2nd ps3 it will be a slim (my 60gb is used quite a bit to play ps2 games).

NintendosBooger said:
Obviously they're going to go full 3D and ignore the rest... No way does R&D go on after a console launches for future products. Just think for a moment about all the different industries they're in and the whole "convergence" shtick that Stringer was going on about.

This is the beginning of it:

Edit:

1. Embrace the fusion of industries.
2. Adopt a service-enhanced philosophy.
3. Products must be multi-functional.
4. Support open technologies, because closed technologies are being disintermediated.
5. Advance the new shared experience by embracing social networking and connectivity
6. Create new value chains, such as HDTVs, which lead to Blu-ray purchases, which lead in turn to more movie purchases.
7. Go green.

All of this stuff is old news, you guys should've payed attention at CES!

w7ilpf.jpg

21lk9iq.jpg

34y3602.jpg

kf2gxz.jpg

PSGames

NintendosBooger said:

I'd rather get the 3D tech now then spend thousand of dollars on an HD set and have it be obsolete when 3D tvs inevitably get pushed in the future.

Phreak47

TelemachusD said:
If they changed the video library to a reasonable monthly subscription model, I might be interested, because right now, the prices are ridiculous; I've never gotten a single thing from the video store.

No shit, I did a rental from them just once out of curiosity. It's especially a rip if you now have the netflix streaming disc. Two rentals from PSN = one month of Netflix (I just use the 1 at a time + BD and streaming.) I'll stick with that, and getting blu-ray copies of the new stuff, which is always superior quality anyway.

jorma

is now taking requests
gofreak said:

And furthermore: does it even matter? Someone who has 3 different accounts would be likely to buy stuff from all of them. That still makes every such dupe valuable to Sony.

gofreak said:
Well, I always kind of wondered how comfortable other parts of Sony would be about using the Playstation Network branding for their network stuff.

Given that it'll apparently use the same IDs as on PSN too, I think it's just basically PSN under a different name for those other products.

No - they are making one network with unified branding... across all products, including playstation... the PSN will cease to be called that. Just like how make.believe cuts across every single business.

Goodbye PSN.

Sony are very big on unification of brands right now.

jorma said:
And furthermore: does it even matter? Someone who has 3 different accounts would be likely to buy stuff from all of them. That still makes every such dupe valuable to Sony.

Correct. They only time this is an issue is if the accounts are not active... from a publisher point of view a dollar is a dollar.

NinjaFusion said:
No - they are making one network with unified branding... across all products, including playstation... the PSN will cease to be called that. Just like how make.believe cuts across every single business.

Goodbye PSN.

Sony are very big on unification of brands right now.
I would like to take this opportunity to say that their new slogan, is the funniest I've ever come across. I mean there's so many ways one could run with make.believe and Sony.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
NinjaFusion said:

Dunno where you're getting that. Think this slide makes it pretty clear PSN will continue as a distinct brand or sub-brand within the whole 'sony online' umbrella.

2u7liq1.jpg

gofreak said:

262s7zt.jpg

5.5 Millions daily unique sign-ins

itxaka

Defeatist
gofreak said:
Dunno where you're getting that. Think this slide makes it pretty clear PSN will continue as a distinct brand or sub-brand within the whole 'sony online' umbrella.

[IM]http://i49.tinypic.com/2u7liq1.jpg[/IMG]

Sony Online Service.....S.O.S.? Bad name :lol

And wow at the 26 PETAbyte per month. We don't have any 360 numbers like that rigth? I wonder if it will be higher or lower.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
RockmanWhore said:
5.5 Millions daily unique sign-ins

That's a different number than I was asking about, but is an interesting one anyway.

I wanted to know - how many PS3s (or PSPs I guess) have had a user sign up to PSN? (i.e. the unique number of PS3s connected in total).

That stat tells you that 5.5m uniques sign in every day.

Who knows what they mean by subscription but lets be honest, no doubt Sony looks at the money MS is bringing in just for Gold memberships and perhaps they feel PSN is getting close to something worth paying for.

I hope not but it is not like MS is hurting for memberships, this certainly looks good to other players in the market.

panda21

i think the average psn accounts per ps3 is very close to 1.. the only reason to have more is to get demos, which i can't imagine the average person bothering to do

hell a lot of people on here only have 1 despite how easy it is.

has there been any developments on the 3d sony is going to use for this, and how much it will cost? i don't really want a TV since i use a cheap monitor instead, so i can use both my mac and ps3 with it. if they make a monitor version of it I would be very excited.

I dont see why people are so dismissive of 3d... playing all your games in 3d would be awesome surely?! its not some shitty red/green filter 3d. i suppose the only problem would be framerate but if they can run GT5 in 3d... a cut in HD resolution for full 3d would be worth it imo

onken

Anything 3D on PS3 will have either be very basic/terrible IQ/terrible framerate, so I can't really get too excited.

andycapps

For the OP, it sounds like they're going to be hacking, as you say, some form of 3D into the PS3 even though the current outputs obviously aren't HDMI 1.4. I doubt we'll see proper 3D on home consoles until the next gen of consoles and TV's. TV's are just starting to arrive but won't be mass market prices for a couple years, I wouldn't think.

3D is definitely probably the way to go in the future, but I'd like for them to figure out a technology that would eliminate everyone having to sit around in their living room with 3D glasses on. If nothing else, I'd like to at least have really comfortable 3D glasses. :D

rhfb said:
I'd rather have sw ps2 emulation over 3d. I missed out on so many good ps2 games that I want to buy digitally so my wallet doesn't get owned by stupid high rare item prices. Plus if I get a 2nd ps3 it will be a slim (my 60gb is used quite a bit to play ps2 games).

SW BC is never happening, give it up.

AndyD

aka andydumi
PSGames said:
When you combine "enrichment of PSN services" and then under the Game Section you see "New revenue from Subscription". What else could it be?

I guess they could do a Qore revamp. But I'm not seeing many other options.

Could be the rumored pay a fee for access to all PSN games.

Or the various MMOS coming from Sony and partners. People forget that Free Reallms and Agent and FF14 and more are coming. And Sony gets a cut from those subscriptions.

I am more surprised and impressed by the non game SDK next year, does that mean widgets that we have been asking for? That would be nice. An effective app store to turn the PS3 into whatever you want it to be.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
onken said:
Anything 3D on PS3 will have either be very basic/terrible IQ/terrible framerate, so I can't really get too excited.

Not necessarily. Wipeout's not very basic, doesn't have terrible IQ and I'm guessing it's framerate wasn't terrible when demoed (even if the latter may have been lower than normal, where normal is 60fps or so).

Take a 30fps game and try to brute force it into a 3D mode and you might have a different story on your hands, however...but some games probably have more latitude for framerate/resolution sacrifice for 3D.

panda21

onken said:

have you seen the gran turismo 3d CES demo? i dont think you have

Top Bottom