• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: 3D to come to 'all' PS3s by Mar 2011; 33m+ PSN accounts registered

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
The above were two tidbits to come out of Sony's general announcement re targets and plans for the next couple of years, made just a short while ago:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gHqEoLle79Wp7nEztgSq6Hy8yHQAD9C2G7HO0

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/News/Press/200911/09-133E/index.html

Note that it's the AP says Sony said 'all' PS3s will be upgrade to support 3D.

Apparently 3D TV will be a big push from Sony next year.

This has been discussed before, and it's been said that HDMI 1.4 will be required to support 3D 'by the book'. So will they come up with a hack for PS3? Or...?

Other tidbits:

- Sony's targetting profitability in the game business by March 2011 via increased hardware/software sales, cost-cutting and 'enrichment' of PSN services.

- Sony overall is targetting a 5% margin on operating income and a 10% return on equity by March 2013.

- Sony expects 300 bn Yen in annual revenue from network content and services by March 2013. Will focus on 'Evolving TV' - network services and apps delivered to TVs to extend revenue generation beyond the initial TV purchase.

- Kaz showed up to demo the wand and a new e-reader. I guess e-readers fall under NPS?

edit - More via Pug; suggestion of new subcription on PSN (?!) Among other things:

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/info/strategy/pdf/200911presen.pdf

Some slides:

zik7ky.jpg

262s7zt.jpg

6qeln8.jpg

6tiyrq.jpg

10wku8o.jpg

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Sony makes unachievable profit margin predictions that they wont meet but then will reiterate the same targets in 2013 for 2016 :/

Maybe this time huh?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
gofreak said:
Apparently 3D TV will be a big push from Sony next year.
Is this in regard to their game division or the company as a whole? I'm assuming the company as a whole, since getting stereoscopic 3D running well on the current consoles isn't exactly ideal.

Hanmik

3D tv´s ..? is this really the future of gaming..? if that´s true.. then I will need a better payd job..

Danielsan

Those 33 million PSN account don't really mean anything.
I have a Dutch, American, English and Japanese account. :lol

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Nirolak said:
Is this in regard to their game division or the company as a whole? I'm assuming the company as a whole, since getting stereoscopic 3D running well on the current consoles isn't exactly ideal.

Company as a whole...though I'd hazard to guess this will include some specific support in some specific content from the game side.

Paracelsus said:
You still need a 3D-capable TV or is there a workaround, like Nvidia and those...3D glasses or whatever?

You'll need a particular type of display with glasses or whatever. There was a 'software' implementation of 3D in that PSN/XBLA game a while back that required just regular red/blue glasses, but I would guess that's not quite the same...

WhiteAce said:
Sony makes unachievable profit margin predictions that they wont meet but then will reiterate the same targets in 2013 for 2016 :/

Maybe this time huh?

Have to try and keep investors happy...

exarkun

Teetris said:
No 3D please, RPGs will probably die out completely on consoles then.

I would think they would flourish. You would finally be able to take on the "Role" that you've always played but in a whole new way! A woman's touch, a sword strike, and your chocobo will all finally be in real life.

It's going to be great.

PSGames

- Sony's targetting profitability in the game business by March 2011 via increased hardware/software sales, cost-cutting and 'enrichment' of PSN services.

I wonder what this could be? Hopefully not the XBL Gold route.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
PSGames said:
I wonder what this could be? Hopefully not the XBL Gold route.

I'm surprised it took 15 posts before we got to this :D

However, I'd guess they mean 'enrichment' of existing revenue-generating PSN services (e.g. video, home, the store etc.) and introduction of more such services, rather than going XBL Gold on you.

PSGames

gofreak said:
I'm surprised it took 15 posts before we got to this :D

However, I'd guess they mean 'enrichment' of existing revenue-generating PSN services (e.g. video, home, the store etc.) and introduction of more such services, rather than going XBL Gold on you.

I'm never one to skip on the details ;)

I mean really what more 'enriching' could they provide on the media front? They already offer TV shows and Movies for sale/rent. What more could they do?

Pug said:

Look of the Game section, under PSN. "New revenue from Subscription"

Wow. And away we go.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Pug said:

Look of the Game section, under PSN. "New revenue from Subscription"

:eek:

Hmmm!

This had better mean a content subscription...not 'pay to play'...

PSGames said:
I'm never one to skip on the details ;)

I mean really what more 'enriching' could they provide on the media front? They already offer TV shows and Movies for sale/rent. What more could they do?

Well on the video store front, I was thinking of things like addition of new studios, expansion to new markets etc.

But the point Pug has highlighted demands clarification.

(On a different point, the same slide also mentions the release of a sdk for non-game apps for PSN in FY2010 - wonder if that'll be available to all ala my suggestion for user-developed 'apps')

Pug

See above, SONY is introducing some kind of subscription. This could be many things mind, but they are looking for new revenue from subscription thats for sure.

Miburou

I tried Wipeout HD in 3D at TGS this year. It was ok, but didn't really blow me away.

Having said that, I have the 3D Vision bundle from nVidia, so hopefully I can use my Samsung monitor and the nVidia glasses with the PS3.

Pug

It's probably nothing to with online gaming there are other sunscription based area's they could look at.

I wonder what comes after 3D for TVs. Seems that they're going to continually need new "big things" if they're going to keep TVs selling.

Flek

Banned
we had a thread about it some time ago … ive played wipeout in 3D @ Sony its whasnt this great to be honest … the goofy glasses suck ass

PSGames

Pug said:
It's probably nothing to with online gaming there are other sunscription based area's they could look at.

When you combine "enrichment of PSN services" and then under the Game Section you see "New revenue from Subscription". What else could it be?

I guess they could do a Qore revamp. But I'm not seeing many other options.

It looks like Sony wants to have an umbrella online service amongst all its products.

They also use the word 'deploy' which reminds me of that PA comic.

Pug

PSGames said:
When you combine "enrichment of PSN services" and then under the Game Section you see "New revenue from Subscription". What else could it be?

Honestly thinking about it I don't know. I do know there would a tremendous backlash at dumping a subscription model for online gaming on the ps3 at this point. I think Sony probably thought LIVE would fail and now they see it flourishing they realise they have lost a massive revenue source.

Linkified

Wait a moment in those presentation slides, it mentions that the PSP Comic Store rollout is December for US and Japan - I thought they said the UK would get it this year though?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
PSGames said:

Well, for example, there was a suggestion before of content subscriptions, i.e. pay a monthly fee for download of x PSN games per month. A small discount via the subscription but guaranteed revenue for Sony.

There are a number of things that could refer to. But Sony should come out and say what they're refering to there, and I hope they will once media jump all over that.

Ceebs

The question I would have is does it work like the nVidia solution that requires double the normal framerate for the 3D? That would exclude every 30fps game in the library.

Pug

amar212 said:
Either premium gaming options (as Gold) or subscription to announced downloadable content such as movies, TV series and music that Sony has.

And how do they seperate premium subscription online options from free online gaming? Sounds like a long shot to me. I can't see a big up take in subscription downloadable content either, it normally one off purchases.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I've updated the OP with Pug's find and a selection of the more pertinent slides in there.

Pug said:
And how do they seperate premium subscription online options from free online gaming? Sounds like a long shot to me. I can't see a big up take in subscription downloadable content either, it normally one off purchases.

If the subscription was for content it would have nothing to do with online gaming. As for whether it would take off...I don't know. But it's not unusual for content providers to offer an option like that (e.g. I have a subscription with Audible that gets me x credits for downloads a month at a discount). So it might be something they wish to try.

I'm guessing only the likes of the AP etc. the mainstream press were at this thing, so any talk about this might have fallen under their radar :|

M3d10n

I have yet to see a PS3 that doesn't have at least 3 PSN accounts in it. And I'm not talking about different region accounts.

My uncle's has 7 or 8 accounts. His, the wife's, the child's, and one for each nephew that got their grubby hands on it for more than one hour.

I'm actually excited to try the 3D-TV Technology. but I'm afraid my PS3 won't be able to do that, HDMI 1.4? oh hell. I hope Sony will use their magic to sort this out.

btw, doesn't 3D capable TVs require a 3D glasses too?

For damn sure I'm not paying for Peer to Peer gaming or at all. Already paying for internet, why should I pay for what I already paying for?

Hopefully it's movie based or Qore.

Massa

M3d10n said:
I have yet to see a PS3 that doesn't have at least 3 PSN accounts in it. And I'm not talking about different region accounts.

My uncle's has 7 or 8 accounts. His, the wife's, the child's, and one for each nephew that got their grubby hands on it for more than one hour.

I don't see the problem of each person having their own unique account.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Solid warrior said:
I'm actually excited to try the 3D-TV Technology. but I'm afraid my PS3 won't be able to do that, HDMI 1.4? oh hell. I hope Sony will use their magic to sort this out.

btw, doesn't 3D capable TVs require a 3D glasses too?

I think the 'good' ones do. Non glasses solutions apparently aren't up to much?

As for HDMI 1.4, I don't know either. But the slides above make it clear they will be upgrading PS3s for 3D via firmware - whether that's for gaming or also for Blu-ray 3D profile, I don't know. It'd be nice if they've come up with something.

Pug

Ballistictiger said:
For damn sure I'm not paying for Peer to Peer gaming or at all. Already paying for internet, why should I pay for what I already paying for?

Hopefully it's movie based or Qore.

It could be Qore, but the revenue stream for Sony from that is going to be miniscule in the grand scheme of things.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Interesting to see those "Sony Online Service (temporary name)" references, especially where it says "Deploy Sony Online Service (temporary name) leveraging PlayStation Network infrastructure".

Perhaps they will eventually come up with a global online service (relevant to all online enabled Sony platforms), call it something like "Sony Network" and ditch the "PlayStation Network" name.

shuyin_

Banned
What kind of 3D tech will they use for home TVs? If they use anaglyph (think Coraline DVD in 3D), they shouldn't bother with it.

Woz

PSGames said:

Pay X$/month and download X psn games?

PSGames said:

How about MMO ? But go on jump to....., never mind carry on.

Top Bottom