• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: 3D to come to 'all' PS3s by Mar 2011; 33m+ PSN accounts registered

Chris R

brain_stew said:
SW BC is never happening, give it up.
Never say never. With a shitload of PS2 games they could sell on the PSN store, I don't see why they wouldn't have a person or two working towards getting PS2 SW BC on the PS3.

I can dream can't I :( :( :(

Boss Man

Two great things that I take from this:
1) Sony is going to be supporting the PS3 (hard) for a long time.
2) They seem to realize the importance of the PSN and the social aspects of it. Hopefully we see big upgrades (more stability, more connectivity) from it.

jiien

33+ million accounts registered isn't that impressive when you know that you and your friends all have at least three or four accounts each, just to check out the other regions. I wonder how many actual unique users there are (would this be the total number of PS3's sold then?)

Raistlin

DidntKnowJack said:
Just like Sony to push something as niche as 3d-TV. At least that's not their complete focus.

It's hardly just Sony ... there is a HUGE push from both CE companies and studios. Crap, Sony isn't even the biggest pusher on the CE front ... that would be Panasonic.

Just go look at summaries from recent A/V expos (CEDIA, etc).

NintendosBooger said:
Does Sony understand that we're all in the midst of a global recession? Why don't they chill the fuck out with all this expensive high-tech shit and let the standard HD market saturate some more. Fuck.

As I said, Sony is hardly the only one doing this. Regardless, it's always better for someone like Sony to invest in the tech sooner rather than later. That way, the product is more mature than the competitions once it becomes widespread.

Out of curiosity, are you all up-in-arms against Natal? That's something MS will be pushing far harder than Sony will be for 3D.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
polyh3dron said:
I highly doubt the PS3 has enough power to pull off good graphics in 3D.
All it has to do is render what is essentially a 60FPS game. Then every frame goes to one eye, and you get 30FPS effective output. Nothing difficult there to pull off, and they in fact have GT5 and Wipeout HD, both excellent looking games, already demonstrated in 3D.

Raistlin

gofreak said:
Wasn't clear about support for the 3D Blu-ray profile.

While it's not like he'd really get in that much trouble, he really isn't at liberty to discuss such things. It's up to the BDA to make such announcements

it's coming soon

He also did not specify whether the non-game app dev kit will be publically distributed. He just said they want a full line-up of non-game applications to help encourage more people to use PS3 every day. He said this would also be expanded to PSP.

Two things I'm looking for out of this:

1) an epic media player (making the PS3 a true HTPC)

2) a gecko or webkit-based browser

If those two things were to come about ... FUCKKKKKKKK

Onix said:
It's hardly just Sony ... there is a HUGE push from both CE companies and studios. Crap, Sony isn't even the biggest pusher on the CE front ... that would be Panasonic.

Just go look at summaries from recent A/V expos (CEDIA, etc).

As I said, Sony is hardly the only one doing this. Regardless, it's always better for someone like Sony to invest in the tech sooner rather than later. That way, the product is more mature than the competitions once it becomes widespread.

Out of curiosity, are you all up-in-arms against Natal? That's something MS will be pushing far harder than Sony will be for 3D.

Natal doesn't require you to purchase a new expensive HDTV. I just hope Sony doesn't over-hype and underachieve like they do with many of other things.

Raistlin

unomas said:
3D TV...how is that not going to flop? I just bought a Plasma and don't plan on replacing it for at least 7-10 years. At least it sounds like online gaming is going to remain free minus some bells and whistles which I can live with.

I know this may come as a shock to you, but not everyone just bought a TV. There are actually some people that will be replacing their TV's next year ... and the year after ... and the year after that.

That how HDTV adoption worked, and this will really be no different for 3D. The CE companies are working together to hammer out standards for the interface and playback, so interoperability won't be a serious problem ... and adding sync-based 3D is a pretty nominal cost to manufacturers. It's going to simply show up in most TV's as a standard feature over time. And with that, standard TV replacement timelines mean it will have a steadily growing install base.

Raistlin

Soneet said:
I needed a PSN account to go online with my PSP. What a messed up number they're using. I don't own a PS3.

Is there a chance you will ever purchase some type of content for you PSP via PSN? If so, how is the number messed up? It's a total of PSN accounts, not PS3 PSN accounts.

Raistlin

Durante said:
I like that they are putting some focus on 3D. I want more (and higher quality) 120Hz displays that can actually take a 120Hz signal. There's still just the 2 monitors NV launched with, which I find really disappointing.

People don't want to deal with dual video connectors. The hold up is for SiliconImage to produce HDMI 1.4 Tx/Rx/repeater boards. Now that the spec is pretty much complete, it won't be long.

Displays will be released in 2010.

Raistlin

MWS Natural said:
Natal doesn't require you to purchase a new expensive HDTV. I just hope Sony doesn't over-hype and underachieve like they do with many of other things.

The difference here is that you don't need to use the games in 3D (well, real 3D). They'll play fine normally. As stated previously ... the other thing to consider is that 3D displays will likely be the norm relatively soon. Standard TV replacement means there will be a growing install base for it.

So if anything, Natal is in the worse situation. You have to specifically go out and buy the product ... and the content will only work with the device (well, I suspect most of it - I'm sure they'll be games that can use Natal as an alternative).

Regardless, I suspect this is more of a proof-of-concept than anything. Sony just wants to be ahead of the curve, at least as far as gaming goes ... and this shouldn't take much in terms of dev costs. Next gen will see the real push for 3D.

Luigiv

Any chance that our 100/120hz tvs could support 3D with a firmware upgrade or something or does the TV actually need superior input ports to support it?

Luigiv said:
Any chance that our 100/120hz tvs could support 3D with some a firmware upgrade or something or does the TV actually need superior input ports to support it?

I got the exact same question. I just bought a z-series 200Hz LCD. I read somewhere that it should be able to do 3D.

squicken

I just have a hard time believing people are going to want to wear glasses, at home, to watch movies and play games. It's one thing to wear them at theater. You are out, and it's an "event". But at home, people just want convenience.

Raistlin

Luigiv said:
Any chance that our 100/120hz tvs could support 3D with a firmware upgrade or something or does the TV actually need superior input ports to support it?

The standard that is expected to be the 'norm' (and have major support) will not work with current TV's. It will require HDMI 1.4.

What's curious is Sony's claim about updating the PS3 via firmware to support 3D. At a high level, it doesn't make sense. So until we know more about what they're doing ... it's hard to tell.

If I had to guess though, I'd suspect you'll need a new TV ... and the PS3 will simply be hacked to do what HDMI 1.4 is expected to support by default. HDMI 1.4 doesn't actually utilize more bandwidth than 1.3, so assuming the Tx board on the PS3 is sufficiently programmable, it's possible they could hack in 3D.

squicken said:
I just have a hard time believing people are going to want to wear glasses, at home, to watch movies and play games. It's one thing to wear them at theater. You are out, and it's an "event". But at home, people just want convenience.

Yeah, really. It takes a pretty serious effort to throw on glasses.

Onix said:
The standard that is expected to be the 'norm' (and have major support) will not work with current TV's. It will require HDMI 1.4.

What's curious is Sony's claim about updating the PS3 via firmware to support 3D. At a high level, it doesn't make sense. So until we know more about what they're doing ... it's hard to tell.

If I had to guess though, I'd suspect you'll need a new TV ... and the PS3 will simply be hacked to do what HDMI 1.4 is expected to support by default. HDMI 1.4 doesn't actually utilize more bandwidth than 1.3, so assuming the Tx board on the PS3 is sufficiently programmable, it's possible they could hack in 3D.

If this is true, then every TV on the planet nowadays does not support Sony's new 3D technology. And Sony is expecting to have 3D games by 2010? If so, are 3DTVs going to be on stores in mid 2010? This is kinda of weird, why don't they just tell wich devices people would have to get in order to played their 3D games? Why make this so confusing?

I don't know, to me 120Hz and above should be fine to do the trick (like nVidia glasses). But coming from Sony... anything can happen.

Durante

Onix said:

Actually, in this case I wouldn't call it a hack. It's not using more bandwidth, just sending slightly different bits.

DisenLedZep said:
I don't know, to me 120Hz and above should be fine to do the trick (like nVidia glasses). But coming from Sony... anything can happen.
Current "120Hz" TVs don't actually support 120Hz input, just interpolation. That's why they can't support 3D tech.

Minsc

Gold Member
Lord Error said:
All it has to do is render what is essentially a 60FPS game. Then every frame goes to one eye, and you get 30FPS effective output. Nothing difficult there to pull off, and they in fact have GT5 and Wipeout HD, both excellent looking games, already demonstrated in 3D.

Most games aren't 60 fps to begin with, and 30fps in 3D will cause major strain in most people after extended gaming periods. Even 60fps isn't enough to completely alleviate eye strain in 3D by some accords (so ideally it sounds like you'd want a 120fps 3D solution, rendering 240fps, 120fps to each eye).

It will be interesting to see how this all pans out, but it sounds like another 2 years before this even begins to surface, and I'm thinking at best it will be a flawed implementation in the PS3, if only to give you a taste of what can be, for the PS4 to properly deliver upon.

StuBurns

Banned
Minsc said:
Most games aren't 60 fps to begin with, and 30fps in 3D will cause major strain in most people after extended gaming periods. Even 60fps isn't enough to completely alleviate eye strain in 3D by some accords (so ideally it sounds like you'd want a 120fps 3D solution, rendering 240fps, 120fps to each eye).

It will be interesting to see how this all pans out, but it sounds like another 2 years before this even begins to surface, and I'm thinking at best it will be a flawed implementation in the PS3, if only to give you a taste of what can be, for the PS4 to properly deliver upon.
But you don't actually need to render all those frames, you refresh the same frames to avoid flicker. If the TV itself can store the frames and display them when needed it could be done with HDMI 1.3. I think that's what Sony is planning.

Count Dookkake said:
Exciting stuff.

I recently got to check out some 3D TVs and I was greatly impressed. Saw some clips from The Final Destination and Avatar and it was just like looking into a window. Eff red/blue.

this is what i love about 3d. it gives the screen a real sense of depth, combining this with games (real-time rendered 3d graphics) is really the best solution. we've been playing 3d games for years, but we saw was just a 3d rendered image plastered on a 2d screen. this will take videogames a generation further.

Durante

Minsc said:
You don't need to render 120 fps to refresh 120 times per second. NV's 3D on PC works well as long as you get around 60 FPS. Still, for some game types even that will be hard to achieve on PS3. Maybe you'll see some lowered resolution in 3D mode in some cases.

madara

I'm confused, I thought 3D was theaters answer to get folks back into cinema with something they cant see at home. 3D revolution has barely started and it already has a home component lined up? Not that I am complaining but seriously, companies have no reason to whine when they cant agree on strategies.

StuBurns

Banned
madara said:
I'm confused, I thought 3D was theaters answer to get folks back into cinema with something they cant see at home. 3D revolution has barely started and it already has a home component lined up? Not that I am complaining but seriously, companies have no reason to whine when they cant agree on strategies.
3DTV isn't nearly as good as 3D in a cinema, but you're right, seems odd. I think one aspect is if they can cut out 2D cinema they will kill bootlegging, but that seems impossible.

Durante

ZombieSupaStar said:
but its still a 2d screen isnt it?
Sure, but it can display 2 pictures and (I assume) you only have 2 eyes. It's comparable to how it's perfectly possible to replicate 3d sound with just headphones.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Onix said:

If 3D can be "hacked in" through software, why can't Bravia Sync? That's only available for Slims, and is supposedly impossible on older PS3s since the HDMI chips don't support it. So yeah, it'll be interesting to see how they plan on solving this.

yurinka

Since every PS3 will be capable to output 3D, HDMI 1.4 won't be needed. Period. They even announced this 3D in PS3 tech when the HDMI 1.4 and PS3 Slim didn't exist.

And they don't need to follow Nvidia steps. It's stupid to think PS3 is going to output 240Hz or even 120Hz and even more to have to render 240 or 120FPS. It must work with 60Hz, to be on par with all current TVs, and a max 60FPS video output coming from games.

I bet the console will output normal video output and will send to the tv or to the glasses depth data for each pixel. It would work in all PS3, in all TVs, and won't need extra rendering from games or console.

Sony doesn't need to follow previous standards or technologies. They can make their own stuff using the technology they want.

It's like to say they needed to support HD DVD in their BlueRay players, because before the BlueRay launch all the HD movies sold in disk were in HD DVD.

StuBurns

Banned
yurinka said:
Since every PS3 will be capable to output 3D, HDMI 1.4 won't be needed. Period. They even announced this 3D in PS3 tech when the HDMI 1.4 and PS3 Slim didn't exist.

And they don't need to follow Nvidia steps. It's stupid to think PS3 is going to output 240Hz or even 120Hz and even more to have to render 240 or 120FPS. It must work with 60Hz, to be on par with all decent current TVs, and a max 60FPS video output coming from games.

I bet the console will output normal video output and will send to the tv or to the glasses depth data for each pixel.

Sony doesn't need to follow previous standards or technologies. They can make their own stuff using the technology they want.

It's like to say they needed to support HD DVD in their BlueRay players, because before the BlueRay launch all the HD movies sold in disk were in HD DVD.

I seriously doubt pixels will be set at depths. It'll just be left and right like it is on the Avatar game. Clearly the PS3 can output perfectly good 3D, the only thing strange about this news is it goes against what we thought we knew about eventual 3D BluRay requiring 1.4.

squicken

Onix said:

It probably is a hassle if you already wear glasses. Or are reading a book or looking at a PC while watching TV. Or get up and go to the bathroom. Or get a Coke.

You think I'm being silly, but people choose lower quality options all the time for the sake of convenience. I've owned 5 different HDTVs since 2004, so I'm hardly a Luddite. The current setup is a hassle.

I'm also still not sold on how pervasive eye strain is or isn't.

3D won't take off until it's native to the set itself.

Azrael

3D HDTV's are going to follow the same path as 1080P and 120 Hz. It will be a high-end feature for around two years after they're introduced, then become standard with new models. It's going to be several years before 3D HDTVs are in a lot of people's homes, but in the meantime 3D HDTV content has to be created to get people interested in the technology. I bought an HDTV less than a year ago, so it's going to be a long time before I own a 3D HDTV, but the posters dismissing 3D remind me of the people in 2005 who were saying 1080P is DOA and 720P is the standard.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
stuburns said:
I seriously doubt pixels will be set at depths. It'll just be left and right like it is on the Avatar game. Clearly the PS3 can output perfectly good 3D, the only thing strange about this news is it goes against what we thought we knew about eventual 3D BluRay requiring 1.4.

I don't know. I'd love to think PS3 will be able to support the 3D BD profile, but I'd be concious of the fact that thusfar for PS3 they've only confirmed '3D gaming'.

We shall see.

Taiser

PetriP-TNT said:
3D? Total downgrade.

141rqyf.gif

Top Bottom