• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: 3D to come to 'all' PS3s by Mar 2011; 33m+ PSN accounts registered

andycapps

panda21 said:
have you seen the gran turismo 3d CES demo? i dont think you have

That and from listening to some podcasts of people that saw the new Avatar game on 3D tv's were blown away at the depth of the image and how different/awesome it was versus being in 3D. And these same people were very sceptical of it when they first saw it.

And I've been sceptical of it's use in movies as well, but once I've seen it I do think it's a step forward and that if the tech is there we might as well use it as it does help with immersion.

Interesting, so they're trying to outdo Nintendo. But Nintendo has been working with 3d tech for some time.....at least rumours keep connecting it to 3d stereoscopic technologies.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Fortinbras said:
I don't get the 3D hype either. I've seen several movies in 3D but honestly I could live without it.

For me, the most interesting thing about the 3D technology is not in using it for 3D display - which is after all just another graphical enhancement.

It is the potential for local multiplayer.

If, instead of the player wearing red and blue lenses (or whatever their equivalents are in polarising filters/shutters), one player wears the red and the other wears the blue, then each player gets to see a different thing on the screen.

It'll be like split-screen without having to actually split the screen. Imagine Goldeneye like that - awesome.

Now extend it to the online space. You and your buddy, in the same room and on the same system, can teamplay online.

Huge potential.

Gorgon

phisheep said:
For me, the most interesting thing about the 3D technology is not in using it for 3D display - which is after all just another graphical enhancement.

It is the potential for local multiplayer.

If, instead of the player wearing red and blue lenses (or whatever their equivalents are in polarising filters/shutters), one player wears the red and the other wears the blue, then each player gets to see a different thing on the screen.

It'll be like split-screen without having to actually split the screen. Imagine Goldeneye like that - awesome.

Now extend it to the online space. You and your buddy, in the same room and on the same system, can teamplay online.

Huge potential.

And then your console overheats and dies because it has to render TWO screens at the same time in 720p at 10fps.

bill0527

Danielsan said:
Those 33 million PSN account don't really mean anything.
I have a Dutch, American, English and Japanese account. :lol

I have a U.S., JPN, and Hong Kong account. The reason for the HK account is because its mostly in English and most of the time it gets the same things the JPN PSN gets day-and-date.

Gowans

How is this new? Just intergrating it into the system settings?

The PS3 and 360 already has 3D support for all TV's with that downloadable Invincible tiger game.

Rubezh

It'll be interesting to see how they plan to upgrade the PS3 SKU, perhaps with a firmware update and a hardware attachment. To get 3D on the PC you need to get a new graphics card, monitor and special 3D glasses which is some serious business.

tirminyl

Rubezh said:
It'll be interesting to see how they plan to upgrade the PS3 SKU, perhaps with a firmware update and a hardware attachment. To get 3D on the PC you need to get a new graphics card, monitor and special 3D glasses which is some serious business.

They stated it would be firmware. Don't know if they forgot to mention anything else.

I also don't know why people are arguing about PSN account numbers. I have multiple accounts for any service I use. I have multiple XBL accounts for different regions and the same for PSN. Just expect, for any service, to account for duplicate or multiple household accounts when they are given.

Also, I am pretty excited about the non-game sdk kit. I also just remembered that something was going to be happening with PSN in spring 2010. I will have to do some searching now.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
The actual quote from Kaz Hirai on the whole subscription thing, with the key bit in bold:

"SCE will further increase sales by offering users new entertainment through the combination of hardware, software, peripheral and PlayStation Network," states Sony overlord Kaz Hirai. "Especially in the online area, we are studying the possibility of introducing a subscription model, offering premium content and services, in addition to the current free services."

Via: Destructoid

So I guess sort of an expansion of Qore-like services/content? A discounted content sub could be a good idea for heavy purchasers IMO.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
What are the chances the subscription services are related to the digital game rental expiration dates hinted on the psp's XMB?

andycapps

Kintaro said:
3D? Fuck that shit. Hate it in the theaters and would hate it at home.

They won't be forcing you to do it. And I used to think the same way until I saw some of the newer animated stuff and the new extended Avatar trailer. My mind has been changed.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
gofreak said:
The actual quote from Kaz Hirai on the whole subscription thing, with the key bit in bold:
"Especially in the online area, we are studying the possibility of introducing a subscription model, offering premium content and services, in addition to the current free services."

Via: Destructoid

So I guess sort of an expansion of Qore-like services/content? A discounted content sub could be a good idea for heavy purchasers IMO.

I guess playing games online will stay free ( it's the PSN big and only advantage after all ) , but other stuff like voice chat or early demos and other will be for money.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Re. 3D Hirai just says that they'll be launching some first party games that support 3D to coincide with Sony's launch of 3D TVs next year, and that they're also working with third parties to support their development of 3D.

Wasn't clear about support for the 3D Blu-ray profile.

He also did not specify whether the non-game app dev kit will be publically distributed. He just said they want a full line-up of non-game applications to help encourage more people to use PS3 every day. He said this would also be expanded to PSP.

If the security is there it's begging to be released. Could (maybe) stem some of the PSP firmware tinkering if people had a 'legit' way to do some of that stuff.

Dunlop

goomba said:
So Nintendo will have the only 100% free online system soon ?

joke post? When did Nintendo get an "online system"?

:p

Options are always good, but I just cant see 3D TV's catching on

unomas

Banned
3D TV...how is that not going to flop? I just bought a Plasma and don't plan on replacing it for at least 7-10 years. At least it sounds like online gaming is going to remain free minus some bells and whistles which I can live with.

Ranger X

What a fucking gimmick really. I don't think that 3D tvs will become the norm. It's a big pile of fluff to make us pay a higher priced ticket at the theater and a buzz that ends after 10 mins.
I watched "Up" in 3D (might not be the greatest example) and it's awesome the first 10 mins. When you're immersed in the movie after a while you actually forget the 3D, I don't see it anymore.

AndyD

aka andydumi
badcrumble said:
Here's hoping Wipeout HD and GT5 get patched for this.

By next year, if the PS3 is 249, I would venture to get a second if it allowed 3D gaming. If its compelling enough.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Gorgon said:
And then your console overheats and dies because it has to render TWO screens at the same time in 720p at 10fps.

Two consoles. Duct tape. Been done before, not a problem.

ShinNL

I needed a PSN account to go online with my PSP. What a messed up number they're using. I don't own a PS3.

Plus I'm pretty sure there are people with multiple accounts, because I had to made up a really weird username before I passed the check of availability.

LiK

bill0527 said:
I have a U.S., JPN, and Hong Kong account. The reason for the HK account is because its mostly in English and most of the time it gets the same things the JPN PSN gets day-and-date.

same here plus one. making multiple accounts is so easy.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Soneet said:
I needed a PSN account to go online with my PSP. What a messed up number they're using. I don't own a PS3.

Plus I'm pretty sure there are people with multiple accounts, because I had to made up a really weird username before I passed the check of availability.

It makes sense though. They never say 33 million PS3 accounts, only 33 million PSN accounts. The point is that PSN sells more than PS3 items. So for a developer, publisher or marketing company the idea is to look at the # of accounts and # of consoles sold in tandem.

When they expand PSN to other devices, as the slides indicate, devices like Sony TVs, Bluray players, e-readers and others, it will be one account that governs all those devices and various type of content will be offered depending on whatever device you use. Books/comics/magazines for E-readers, games for PSP/PS3/cell phones and apps and movies for TVs/cell phones/consoles.

So really the account #s are importnat along with the other two numbers they gave like unique account access per day.

They dont want to break down the #s and say 30 million total, 20 mil used on PS3 and 20 on PSP, because there is also cross use for those with both devices and it may get confusing if the totals dont add up.

Soneet said:
And? The PSN is used on both the PSP and the PS3. No one ever claimed those 33m accounts were all on the PS3.

Durante

I like that they are putting some focus on 3D. I want more (and higher quality) 120Hz displays that can actually take a 120Hz signal. There's still just the 2 monitors NV launched with, which I find really disappointing.

unomas said:
3D TV...how is that not going to flop? I just bought a Plasma and don't plan on replacing it for at least 7-10 years. At least it sounds like online gaming is going to remain free minus some bells and whistles which I can live with.

I said that 4 years ago when I got my first HDTV, I've bought 4 others since then. Thats the problem with HDTV's they always come out with better models that offer a signifigant upgrade. With that said I will probably buy a stereoscopy TV if enough games/movies support them.

To add to the account madness, I don't think they are trying to tie the accounts to units sold. It's just a figure that looks nice on paper. To be fair though it is an impressive number ( even if I have 6 accounts ), those of us with multiple accounts are in the minority.

onken

OK jeez I'll wait till I've seen it person, but on paper I don't see how it's supposed to work, when the PC equivalent literally requires double the horsepower.

I got a message over PSN a week or two ago that told me Sony is going to start charging for PSN in January 2010 (I think they gave a specific date like Jan 1st or 11th) unless this message gets forwarded 500,000 times or something like that. I just discarded the msg thinking it was spam but holy shit if it was real. Anyway else get this?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Bluemercury said:
Interesting, so they're trying to outdo Nintendo. But Nintendo has been working with 3d tech for some time.....at least rumours keep connecting it to 3d stereoscopic technologies.
You have got to be kidding me with a comment like this :lol

No, they are trying to outdo other TV manufacturers who are going to push similar kind of 3D tech to their TVs, and to get in step with movie industry and their ongoing 3D push. Sony just happens to be in a position to offer games as well as movies like this.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Lion Heart said:
I got a message over PSN a week or two ago that told me Sony is going to start charging for PSN in January 2010 (I think they gave a specific date like Jan 1st or 11th) unless this message gets forwarded 500,000 times or something like that. I just discarded the msg thinking it was spam but holy shit if it was real. Anyway else get this?
I've gotten messages saying Infinity Ward was tracking the message and I would get a free beta key if I forward the messages.

So no, it's not real.

ShinNL

CrayzeeCarl said:
And? The PSN is used on both the PSP and the PS3. No one ever claimed those 33m accounts were all on the PS3.
And? I didn't claim they were. Your reaction is more pointless than mine if you're trying to say something.

Quasar

Totobeni said:
I guess playing games online will stay free ( it's the PSN big and only advantage after all ) , but other stuff like voice chat or early demos and other will be for money.

Being that I live outside the U.S. I have the vain hope that we'll see a sub option for the PSN Video store.

Lion Heart said:
I got that but I'm wondering how the hell did the person know my psn? It's been confirmed Online gaming will remain free anyways.

Lion Heart said:
What ever happened to good old fashioned "Make your penis 4 inches longer" spam? :p

Haven't received anything like that, though my main account isn't from the US.

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
Durante said:
I like that they are putting some focus on 3D. I want more (and higher quality) 120Hz displays that can actually take a 120Hz signal. There's still just the 2 monitors NV launched with, which I find really disappointing.

Yes.

What Sony is doing is removing the display bottleneck. The huge side benefit is that everything 2d can go up to 120 frames per second.

A 2d game like Super Stardust would gain from an extra 60 frames. Although I wouldn't expect something like this until the launch of the PS4.

Also the potential exists for Sony to release a pair of 3d glasses using OLED panels. Using OLED will results in a very light-weight and compact design.

Darkpen

Banned
Ballistictiger said:
I got that but I'm wondering how the hell did the person know my psn? It's been confirmed Online gaming will remain free anyways.
check your recently played players list, and you'll find your answer.

I hate chain mails on PSN

Filldough

El-Suave said:
The prospect of Chloe Frazer's butt in 3D might sell this technology.

Tech Demo please, one where I can bounce a quarter off it... in other news, I've decided to name my penis "Quarter."

Exciting stuff.

I recently got to check out some 3D TVs and I was greatly impressed. Saw some clips from The Final Destination and Avatar and it was just like looking into a window. Eff red/blue.

Top Bottom