• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: 3D to come to 'all' PS3s by Mar 2011; 33m+ PSN accounts registered

1-D_FTW

Azrael said:
3D HDTV's are going to follow the same path as 1080P and 120 Hz. It will be a high-end feature for around two years after they're introduced, then become standard with new models. It's going to be several years before 3D HDTVs are in a lot of people's homes, but in the meantime 3D HDTV content has to be created to get people interested in the technology. I bought an HDTV less than a year ago, so it's going to be a long time before I own a 3D HDTV, but the posters dismissing 3D remind me of the people in 2005 who were saying 1080P is DOA and 720P is the standard.

1-D_FTW said:
http://www.electronichouse.com/article/panasonic_aims_for_3d_tv_dominance/D2/

When pressed about 3D’s price premium over standard HDTVs, Kozuka indicated that “multiples are not really possible for the consumer market, particularly double multiples.”

Miyai added, “We’ll be slightly in the middle of lines,” meaning Panasonic’s lower-end and higher-end TV lines.

At least with Panasonic's plasmas, it seems like it's going to be available on the middle tier models.

ZombieSupaStar said:
but its still a 2d screen isnt it?

I dunno, seems like marketing fluff untill we either A: have holodecks, or B: plugs into our brain like the Matrix.

When you see a set in person you will understand. It works just like at a 3D theater. It is not marketing hype.

AZ Greg

Onix said:
Multiple accounts is hardly the norm

I don't know about this. Maybe in the context that multiple regional accounts is hardly the norm, but everyone dismisses the fact that people make multiple accounts in the same region for various reasons. Hell, I'm sure people make new accounts simply to change their name (Can existing accounts change their ID? I don't remember.). But the situation that would lead to the most created new accounts, and this is something, albeit anecdotal, that I've seen lead to the most new accounts among people I know, is for stat purposes. And surprising as it might be, to a lot of people, stats outweigh a lot of the things you would lose by creating a new account. I've seen, and I'm sure there are a ton more out there, kill/death ratio and win % whores on COD4/SF4/etc... make multiple accounts after their stats take a beating during the game's initial learning curve. Or because they simply enjoy starting at the bottom of the ranks so they can beat up on the players who are truly new (in modes like SF4's championship mode).

That said, it's still an impressive number no matter how you slice it.

Raistlin

DisenLedZep said:
If this is true, then every TV on the planet nowadays does not support Sony's new 3D technology.

Obviously I'm guessing here. We do not have enough information to know how this tech works.

They could make it work with current TV's, the problem is that you'd have 30fps going to each eye. That works for creating 3D (look at the Sega Master system), but it has problems. There is noticeable flicker, and it causes significant eye-strain.

It's possible they may do this as an option for people that want to mess around with 3D without a new TV, but it may not give a great impression of what the tech can do.

And Sony is expecting to have 3D games by 2010? If so, are 3DTVs going to be on stores in mid 2010? This is kinda of weird, why don't they just tell wich devices people would have to get in order to played their 3D games? Why make this so confusing?

There are 3D TV's using HDMI 1.4 planned for 2010, yes. As to why they don't announce which devices, how can they announce other peoples' products? Until specific models are close to launch, it doesn't make sense for Sony to say anything.

Crap, they haven't even discussed how this tech works form the PS3 side of things.

I don't know, to me 120Hz and above should be fine to do the trick (like nVidia glasses). But coming from Sony... anything can happen.

I suspect this is where they are going.

Raistlin

Durante said:
Actually, in this case I wouldn't call it a hack. It's not using more bandwidth, just sending slightly different bits.

It's a hack in so far as it's not a standard supported output. The Tx was initially intended to be used in this manner. That's kind of the definition of a hack :p

Minsc said:
Most games aren't 60 fps to begin with, and 30fps in 3D will cause major strain in most people after extended gaming periods. Even 60fps isn't enough to completely alleviate eye strain in 3D by some accords (so ideally it sounds like you'd want a 120fps 3D solution, rendering 240fps, 120fps to each eye).

Rendering rate and refresh rate to each eye aren't directly related ... just as a 30fps game is displayed as 60fps on your TV.

Well, it's a bit more complex than that ...

Raistlin

ZombieSupaStar said:
but its still a 2d screen isnt it?

I dunno, seems like marketing fluff untill we either A: have holodecks, or B: plugs into our brain like the Matrix.

i thought that the wii experament looked pretty awesome though
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw&hd=1

Have you seen a high quality 3D movie using current tech? The screen being 2d doesn't matter.

madara said:
I'm confused, I thought 3D was theaters answer to get folks back into cinema with something they cant see at home. 3D revolution has barely started and it already has a home component lined up? Not that I am complaining but seriously, companies have no reason to whine when they cant agree on strategies.

This is hardly new. The strategy studios have has never necessarily matched that of CE's, etc.

Raistlin

RoadHazard said:
If 3D can be "hacked in" through software, why can't Bravia Sync? That's only available for Slims, and is supposedly impossible on older PS3s since the HDMI chips don't support it. So yeah, it'll be interesting to see how they plan on solving this.

The mechanism for changing the resolution and rate is likely not the same as adding a secondary data channel.

yurinka said:
Since every PS3 will be capable to output 3D, HDMI 1.4 won't be needed. Period.

That is not automatically true. Period. HDMI 1.4Tx may not necessarily be needed, but the TV at the other end does in fact need to know how to handle 120Hz (assuming this is what they are going for ... at least at the high-end). Current TV's simply can't do it.

They even announced this 3D in PS3 tech when the HDMI 1.4 and PS3 Slim didn't exist.

3D and HDMI 1.4 spec were being developed well before Sony announced this. Just because you hadn't heard about it, doesn't mean it didn't exist.

And they don't need to follow Nvidia steps. It's stupid to think PS3 is going to output 240Hz or even 120Hz and even more to have to render 240 or 120FPS. It must work with 60Hz, to be on par with all current TVs, and a max 60FPS video output coming from games.

It's quite possible they'll do this. The problem is that it looks like shit and causes serious eye-strain.

I bet the console will output normal video output and will send to the tv or to the glasses depth data for each pixel. It would work in all PS3, in all TVs, and won't need extra rendering from games or console.

Ummm ... huh?

Sony doesn't need to follow previous standards or technologies. They can make their own stuff using the technology they want.

Oh, they can ... but that hasn't always worked out very well for them. Whether or not they make some sort of hack to work with current TV's, they are obviously going to also support the upcoming standard. It would be suicide not to.

It's like to say they needed to support HD DVD in their BlueRay players, because before the BlueRay launch all the HD movies sold in disk were in HD DVD.

>_<

The 3D they are working on along with others is going to be in BluRays as well. Why would they not want the tech to be interoperable with their console?

dark_chris

Ballistictiger said:
For damn sure I'm not paying for Peer to Peer gaming or at all. Already paying for internet, why should I pay for what I already paying for?

Hopefully it's movie based or Qore.

Same here. Thats what turned me off on the 360. Why should I be paying for more?
I like the free PS3 gaming system.

Ah, this was the thread I was looking for.

http://kotaku.com/5429592/survey-sony-considering-premium-playstation-network-subscriptions

Looking at the possible premium-only features here... I'm fine with discounts/free themes/loyalty rewards/extended warranty/whatever as premium features - I think that'd be a good idea. But cross-game voice chat, automatic updates, and Netflix access without the disc as premium-only features? FUCK THAT. Oh, and the $70/year price point is kind of absurd.

AndyD

aka andydumi
badcrumble said:
Ah, this was the thread I was looking for.

http://kotaku.com/5429592/survey-sony-considering-premium-playstation-network-subscriptions

Looking at the possible premium-only features here... I'm fine with discounts/free themes/loyalty rewards/extended warranty/whatever as premium features - I think that'd be a good idea. But cross-game voice chat, automatic updates, and Netflix access without the disc as premium-only features? FUCK THAT. Oh, and the $70/year price point is kind of absurd.

Heres my response to yoru post from the other thread:

I would pay for the mentioned cloud storage and also the beta access, loyalty rewards and the token thing where you get what sounds like Sony bucks to spend on whatever in PSN store, Home or whatever.

I also agree that voice chat should be free.

But automatic updating and Netflix, that doesn't bother me if they make it premium. By that I mean, Netflix disc based like now free, a native app premium. Options are fine.

What I take away from that and also the other cross game chat info I see is that it looks like they have it ready but they may be holding off on it to add it behind a pay tier system, because they say whatever we have now for free, stays free. So they cant release it if they want to make it paid.

Also, its more than just what you listed. The tokens thing sound like free PSN money every month, also free access to PS1 games, free cloud storage of saves, 3 year warranty, a music service (free streaming sounds like)...

They seem to be checking out what features we care about enough to pay for. I could definitely put together a package for which I would be willing to pay for if it had the right things in it.

Top Bottom