• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony 900F has been reviewed!

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
The Sony 900E was a fan favorite and was considered the best non-OLED TV available in 2017 for its price ($1000 - $1300) Although it can be argued that the TCL P-series offered better bang for buck.

At CES Sony showed off the 900F and while it was similar to the 900E it offers several improvements, notably support for Dolby Vision and X-Motion Clarity support. Features that were reserved for Sony’s 930E/940E and Z9D lines.

Rtings has now posted their review and it seems to be everything the 900E was and more.

For those who are looking for a new TV and have the budget thus should be on your list.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x900f

If you do want this TV wait for a sale since it’s being sold at full MSRP at this moment.

Grinchy

Banned

It's kinda interesting that the input lag is higher when using 1080p than it is when using 4K. It would be crazy to claim that 40ms is bad, but it's a bit of a shame for console gaming that it is twice as high in 1080p than 4K.

MrBenchmark

Some of those input lag numbers are gross. I haven’t played on anything over 20ms in years. It’d be like switching my older Vizio P55 from game mode to off. Would hope the numbers would get better every year but I’d buy this tv for movies for sure.

Oddspeak

Those input lags numbers are far from ideal. I play fighting games a lot, so even just two extra frames can throw off the timing of whiff punishes, but God have mercy on anyone who forgets to turn Game Mode on. For non-competitive single-player gaming, it should be fine though. This TV's biggest strengths are definitely for movie viewing.

I bought myself a TCL S405 about mid-November, and it absolutely made me a believer in TCL. Absolutely fantastic budget TV. With its Game Mode turned on, input latency is under 15ms (so less than a frame on 60fps games) in both 1080p and 4K with very little -- unnoticeable, frankly -- sacrifice to image quality. However, some aspects prevent it from being the ideal TV for movie watching, so it's not as well-rounded as Sony's or Samsung's stuff, but if those are outside your price rannge, then TCL's where it's at.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Those input lags numbers are far from ideal. I play fighting games a lot, so even just two extra frames can throw off the timing of whiff punishes, but God have mercy on anyone who forgets to turn Game Mode on. For non-competitive single-player gaming, it should be fine though. This TV's biggest strengths are definitely for movie viewing.

I bought myself a TCL S405 about mid-November, and it absolutely made me a believer in TCL. Absolutely fantastic budget TV. With its Game Mode turned on, input latency is under 15ms (so less than a frame on 60fps games) in both 1080p and 4K with very little -- unnoticeable, frankly -- sacrifice to image quality. However, some aspects prevent it from being the ideal TV for movie watching, so it's not as well-rounded as Sony's or Samsung's stuff, but if those are outside your price rannge, then TCL's where it's at.
Yeah TCL steals the show for value!

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
If the 900E is any indication the 55” should be $1000 on BF.

If you want this TV now, get the 930e instead as they’re the same price

Future

I’m in the market for a new tv, but I’m no all in on 4K. That input lag is worrying and makes me still want to look at Samsung

dave_d

The Sony 900E was a fan favorite and was considered the best non-OLED TV available in 2017 for its price ($1000 - $1300) Although it can be argued that the TCL P-series offered better bang for buck.
Well until they broke the audio with the latest firmware release that they still haven't fixed.

The way Sony has turned around their TV division to be class leading in the market at the high end is remarkable. Remarkable because I was worried they'd let it slide like their smartphones.

Vitacat

Nice, but the E is waaaay cheaper right now than the F, and still very good. In fact, if you look at other reviews, it still has some advantages over the F.

I'm looking at picking up the 65 inch in a few weeks, and it's about $800 cheaper than the F version. The 75 inch version is like $1500 cheaper.

Top Bottom