• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony and the hypocrisy of their "ethics" ; where were they when other nations went through crisis?

Tenka Musou

Banned
The killing of George Floyd and following protests are peanuts compared to what other nations went through (and continue to go through).
Hong Kong protests which were much bigger than what's currently happening.

The list goes on, and on, and on.

Yet Sony kept holding events, releasing trailers, etc... In fact, they never even addressed these events.

But now that Americans are rioting and looting, the entire world is supposed to halt in it's tracks and wait for them to sort their shit out?

The truth is they don't give a flying fuck, you'd be an utter fool to think they were doing it for a moral reason , this is all to prevent the US riots from stealing mindshare when they reveal their console, especially as the US is one of their biggest markets, plus free PR points don't hurt either.

Understanding the reason still doesn't make this delay taste any less bitter, when did Americans had to cancel shit in solidarity with the rest of the world? Would not surprise me if the answer was "Never"

TL;DR: I am very clearly butthurt over the delay.

The truth is they don't give a flying fuck, you'd be an utter fool to think they were doing it for a moral reason , this is all to prevent the US riots from stealing mindshare when they reveal their console, especially as the US is one of their biggest markets, plus free PR points don't

This is true. It’s all about the market.

This is also true.

It’s gonna be alright. The Event will happen. There is plenty of time.

Last edited:

GreyHorace

Because America is a big market for them and any negative publicity would directly affect their bottom line. I don't think war-torn countries in the Middle East count as a big market. And they've kept silent on Hong Kong because they don't want to piss off their good friends in the CCP who make their chips for them.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Xuvpiyc.png

I'm butt hurt AF as well. I don't think they're completely "heartless" and don't care at all about George Floyd and what's going on in the US, but I do believe that it does affect them. It affects them in the way that it is getting all the media coverage right now. The global mind share is on George Floyd, the protest, the riots, and the looting. How much coverage, how much impact, could video game announcements make right now?

To be clear. The PS5 presentation on Thursday was the one thing I was looking forward to this week. It's a big fucking bummer.

Your wording is really fucked up. Are you racist? Two Israeli police officers comitted this horrible act because they thought he was armed with a gun. Not "the Jews" did it.

Israel claims to be the Jewish homeland and inextricably linked to Jewish identity worldwide. If they want to claim that then by extension any action perpetrated by the nation state of Israel would be a collective Jewish action wouldn't it?

Tenka Musou

Banned
I'm butt hurt AF as well. I don't think they're completely "heartless" and don't care at all about George Floyd and what's going on in the US, but I do believe that it does affect them. It affects them in the way that it is getting all the media coverage right now. The global mind share is on George Floyd, the protest, the riots, and the looting. How much coverage, how much impact, could video game announcements make right now?

To be clear. The PS5 presentation on Thursday was the one thing I was looking forward to this week. It's a big fucking bummer.
Who's to say the rioting will subside soon? It may get worse.
Are they gonna keep delying it indefinitely? This shit could go on for months.

Sucks

Rat Rage

Israel claims to be the Jewish homeland and inextricably linked to Jewish identity worldwide. If they want to claim that then by extension any action perpetrated by the nation state of Israel would be a collective Jewish action wouldn't it?

Stupid argument. I'm sure most Jews living in Israel condemn what two of their police officers did to an unarmed, autistic boy. Do you really believe every action of anyone in the Israeli Police is automatically a "collective Jewish action"?

Last edited:

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Ultimately businesses have to look at their bottom line and protect it. Unfortunately right now the safest call is to pander to the people who want to destroy society; as a business, sticking your neck out is a gigantic risk to everyone on your payroll.

Despite believing the above to be true, I also want all the companies doing shit like this, including all the copy paste black background statements, to go and eat a giant dick.

Xplainin

Banned
Sony America has really taken over the direction of the company from Japan.
Add to that, that Sony appears to be full of rampant SJWs, as seen with Naughty Dog and Sony's recent tweets.
I mean, BLM a couple of years ago shot dead 5 police officers in Dallas.
While I don't like the alt right, it was demonized by that lunatic driving his car into the crowd and killing that girl.
However, BLM with its chants of kill cops, racist anti white beliefs, rioting and looting, and shooting police officers to boot, is praised by Sony.
Its like upside down world.

Last edited:
Stupid argument. I'm sure most Jews living in Israel condemn what two of their police officers did to an unarmed, autistic boy. Do you really believe every action of anyone in the Israeli Police is automatically an "collective Jewish action"?

I'm not saying that's what I believe. I'm just following the logical conclusion of the Israeli governments beliefs. Obviously it doesn't represent all Jews but if Israel claims to do so then it's not wrong to ascribe actions committed by them to 'Jews' as opposed to specifically saying 'Israeli' since they would be essentially synonyms. It's the exact same logic Zionists use when they make the claim that being anti-Israel is tantamount to being anti-Semitic because Israel is an integral part of Jewish identity. I don't believe any of that but I'm just showing how that's not necessarily racist

Aion002

It's 100% a PR move.... They might be even using this as an excuse to something unrelated, like the way they will present it or something fucked things up so they had to delay it.

Either way it's fine, that's what companies do... Spin things for their own gain...

Who's to say the rioting will subside soon? It may get worse.
Are they gonna keep delying it indefinitely? This shit could go on for months.

Sucks
No one knows man and it definitely could go for months. I think they knew they could delay it this one time and be "good guy Sony" but they can't keep delaying this shit. They could really damage their chances at next gen if they keep delaying.

Rat Rage

I'm not saying that's what I believe. I'm just following the logical conclusion of the Israeli governments beliefs. Obviously it doesn't represent all Jews but if Israel claims to do so then it's not wrong to ascribe actions committed by them to 'Jews' as opposed to specifically saying 'Israeli' since they would be essentially synonyms. It's the exact same logic Zionists use when they make the claim that being anti-Israel is tantamount to being anti-Semitic because Israel is an integral part of Jewish identity. I don't believe any of that but I'm just showing how that's not necessarily racist

It is wrong and stupid to ascribe actions of individuals to groups. Imagine the headline. Case: American police officer kills a black man. Conclusion/Headline: Americans kill a black man.

It is wrong and stupid to ascribe actions of individuals to groups. Imagine the headline. Case: American police officer kills a black man. Conclusion/Headline: Americans kill a black man.

So you're saying it would be incorrect to say 'Americans are killing black people'? Even though everyone knows it doesn't mean each individual American but as a statement it's hardly incorrect.

_Justinian_

Gold Member
Sony is just trying to win PR points. That is all this is. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Corporations are not your friends.

Sony America has really taken over the direction of the company from Japan.
Add to that, that Sony appears to be full of rampant SJWs, as seen with Naughty Dog and Sony's recent tweets.
I mean, BLM a couple of years ago shot dead 5 police officers in Dallas.
While I don't like the alt right, it was demonized by that lunatic driving his car into the crowd and killing that girl.
However, BLM with its chants of kill cops, racist anti white beliefs, rioting and looting, and shooting police officers to boot, is praised by Sony.
Its like upside down world.

BLM did not shoot dead 5 police officers in Dallas. It was done by a "loner" military veteran who wanted revenge against the police after the killing of two individuals in other cities a few days prior. BLM wasn't involved at all. Stop spouting nonsense.

ANIMAL1975

Same reason as to why the virus is a big thing. If it was an Africa only virus no one would bat (no pun intended) an eye.
Wtf dude? Ebola?... It wasn't that long ago, the all world went there to help fight Ebola! I know we were, Portuguese red cross and other health care volunteers fought on the first roll to save lives.
You want another example? This one related to safety and protection of population in African Central Republic, where warlords and milicia in an endless war with the government terrorize the people, we have troops on the service of the United Nations patrolling to protect the population and sometimes they're attacked by these militias!...
this video is from the air force, it's official and there is no graphic content just edited footage of the mounted cams

LordKasual

Banned
This is faulty logic.

It almost sounds like you expect every single company on earth to make extreme alterations to their marketing/release schedules for every single world tragedy

Just so that they'll be safe from criticism from any single one they decide to take action on.

No decision done in a multi-BILLION dollar company is done without a PR angle. Why do people feel the need to keep bringing up their morality?

It's completely irrelevant

Last edited:

GametimeUK

Normally if Sony were to do something like this it's because the subject matter of what they are showing is insensitive to the current situation. For example when they delayed Motorstorm because of the earthquake in Japan. However, I really don't see that being the case here unless every game they are showing are looter shooters.

kiphalfton

It's 100% a PR move.... They might be even using this as an excuse to something unrelated, like the way they will present it or something fucked things up so they had to delay it.

Either way it's fine, that's what companies do... Spin things for their own gain...

The barrage of emails I got when covid started, it's like these companies were tripping all over themselves in their mad dash to try and let people know they care and are supportive. Same with this most recent incident. Only difference is everybody is pretending to be "supportive", and virtue signaling hard as a mofo.

Rat Rage

So you're saying it would be incorrect to say 'Americans are killing black people'? Even though everyone knows it doesn't mean each individual American but as a statement it's hardly incorrect.

Of course it's incorrect. It only serves to stir people up. A christian pastor rapes a kid. Headline: Christians rape a kid.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Since when "gaming" section become "politics" section?

Like it or not the PS5 event got postponed, it sad but its life and all of us are grown ass man (hopefully) so lets just wait......do we all have to suffer trough these political argument in "gaming" forums? There is "political" section for reason.

Rat Rage

Case: Two ISIS male insurgents behead a prisoner
Conclusion/Headline: ISIS beheaded a prisoner

False argument. ISIS as a group believe the "same things". So it makes sense to say: Isis beheaded a prisoner. Because they all thought this action was right and in support of that action. "Americans2 or "the Jews" are not a homogenous group of people who believe the same things/or acts. Just like "white people" don't believe the the same things/acts.

Last edited:

Tarkus98

The killing of George Floyd and following protests are peanuts compared to what other nations went through (and continue to go through).
Wars in Syria, Libya, Yemen... Palestinians getting killed in cold blood (a special needs kid got murdred around the same time as George Floyd by the Jews, but I bet you haven't even heard about it)
Hong Kong protests which were much bigger than what's currently happening.

The list goes on, and on, and on.

Yet Sony kept holding events, releasing trailers, etc... In fact, they never even addressed these events.

But now that Americans are rioting and looting, the entire world is supposed to halt in it's tracks and wait for them to sort their shit out?

The truth is they don't give a flying fuck, you'd be an utter fool to think they were doing it for a moral reason , this is all to prevent the US riots from stealing mindshare when they reveal their console, especially as the US is one of their biggest markets, plus free PR points don't hurt either.

Understanding the reason still doesn't make this delay taste any less bitter, when did Americans had to cancel shit in solidarity with the rest of the world? Would not surprise me if the answer was "Never"

What if they feel they Gotta start somewhere. Gotta start sometime.
Or
Keep ‘merica fat and happy.
Or
Taken at face value, not the best time to hold this event. More important news they don’t want to have to compete with.
It’ll be rescheduled for July.

Edit: meh, looks like it might be rescheduled for June 12th.
OK then, carry on.

Last edited:

GHG

Same reason as to why the virus is a big thing. If it was an Africa only virus no one would bat (no pun intended) an eye.

The reason why it became what it did was because nobody gave a shit when it was mostly in China. There was all sorts of nonsense going around about it only effecting Chinese people etc.

It's the sad world we live in where things only seem to really matter when it happens in a western country.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
I'm sure the two Israeli officers were good Christian boys
Oh man. You do realize that every single act by any Muslim country/individual can also written as
'Muslims murdered Jews' or 'Muslims murdered Yazidis' etc, right?

kevm3

I guess companies should never react to anything because there is always something going on somewhere else.

Psykodad

Banned
Funny thing is, when Sony has held the event eventually and releases PS5, nobody cares about them delaying this event.

The lockdowns are really messing people up mentally.

sevoro

I guess companies should never react to anything because there is always something going on somewhere else.
Guys I just pissed my pants in public, THE Sony should be caring about me!!!

Companies will do what is necessary for profits. Appealing to the morality of what is apparently the majority is allows for that.

Kerotan

You're not wrong. You don't see this kind of special treatment for Palestinians, Iranians, or other middle East nations where they don't sell much.

In general the world doesn't care as much.

Xplainin

Banned
Sony is just trying to win PR points. That is all this is. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Corporations are not your friends.

BLM did not shoot dead 5 police officers in Dallas. It was done by a "loner" military veteran who wanted revenge against the police after the killing of two individuals in other cities a few days prior. BLM wasn't involved at all. Stop spouting nonsense.
Rubbish. He was a member of BLM and took his revenge for Michael Brown. I just love how the left distance themselves from their dirt. Conservatives are told that they must own Dylan Roof, and Charlottesville, but when BLM kills 5 police officers, or a Bernie supporter perpetuates a terrorist attack and shoots up the Republican softball game wounding senators, they are indignant when they are told to own it.

Top Bottom