• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony and the hypocrisy of their "ethics" ; where were they when other nations went through crisis?

ZehDon

The OP is the kind of embarrassing drivel that gets every enjoyer of video games painted entitled man-babies in desperate need of a reality check and a shower. I feel ashamed of this hobby when I read things like this. "Hypocrisy of ethics"... for delaying a 60 minute video game presentation for a whopping 7 days... due to wide-spread national anti-governmental riots in the country, and the city, where the presentation was to be held. Grow up, take a look around, and check back in when you've learned a little about the real world.

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
Sony America has really taken over the direction of the company from Japan.
Add to that, that Sony appears to be full of rampant SJWs, as seen with Naughty Dog and Sony's recent tweets.
I mean, BLM a couple of years ago shot dead 5 police officers in Dallas.
While I don't like the alt right, it was demonized by that lunatic driving his car into the crowd and killing that girl.
However, BLM with its chants of kill cops, racist anti white beliefs, rioting and looting, and shooting police officers to boot, is praised by Sony.
Its like upside down world.

Lmao

Yeah your brain seems to be upside down

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
The OP is the kind of embarrassing drivel that gets every enjoyer of video games painted entitled man-babies in desperate need of a reality check and a shower. I feel ashamed of this hobby when I read things like this. "Hypocrisy of ethics"... for delaying a 60 minute video game presentation for a whopping 7 days... due to wide-spread national anti-governmental riots in the country, and the city, where the presentation was to be held. Grow up, take a look around, and check back in when you've learned a little about the real world.
On a different note, it seems like it's Sony, US who does not look around them, more than anything. I don't mind they delayed presentation, but their attitude, that only USA matters in this regard, when shit is happening all around the globe, way more people dying from injustice elsewhere, but that's just fucking fine.

It's same with USA narrative about Nazis, what do you hear most of the time with Nazis? 6 million Jews. Well 5.9 million Polish people was killed during war, USSR cut large portion of their country, but then again they are Slavs, they don't matter. But what about 6 million Jews. That type of shit pisses me off.

And no, 6 millions jews is terrible tragedy, which should not happened and it's despicable horrible shit, but you know, they weren't alone.

If you want justice, you just simply cannot pick and choose.

Before talking about others, you should try seeking help first.
To the Sony rescue once again I see, yeah the company really loves you, cares about you or even knows you exists.
They truly appreciate all the heartfelt efforts you put into defending them every opportunity you've get - which is 0 thread or comment goes unchecked.
Where in his post did he defend Sony?

Like he said. Some of you need help, maybe including you you too.

I wouldn't really count on profit driven companies for ethics.
Such concepts and ways of thinking escape many in this thread, including the OP.

Last edited:

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Where in his post did he defend Sony?

Like he said. Some of you need help, maybe including you you too.

Such concepts and ways of thinking escape many in this thread, including the OP.

Same with all those famous people showing their support by posting some deep message that took them 5 minutes to put out. All to keep their brand up.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Since when "gaming" section become "politics" section?

Like it or not the PS5 event got postponed, it sad but its life and all of us are grown ass man (hopefully) so lets just wait......do we all have to suffer trough these political argument in "gaming" forums? There is "political" section for reason.
When gaming became big and people with political interests thought that games and the games market were good media for political messages. Also, big businesses can't really extricate themselves 100% from politics.

Some discussions about video games are about political stuff. We should deal with it. Sony didn't release a general statement, they cancelled an event about video games, so this discussion belongs in gaming.

I agree, though, that this is getting way too many threads. One was more than enough for anyone to say you're disappointed by the event's delay.

This photo is fitting to the situation. And no this is not about SONY but the situation as a whole. Either way my opinion is that, you are holding an event to an international audience no only US citizens. Im just not a fan of game reporting to halt because of a death of one man. Its tragic what happened but this aint no riot for Floyd, its people sick of sitting at home during Covid and want to fuck shit up. So pretty much 70% out there are just to "have fun", they dont care bout no cause. They are treating this as if terrorists bombed an orphanage of 500 kids.

9MjIHNV.jpg

Last edited:

Miles708

So if I got this straight:
  • Entertainment-Videogames-Trailer was expected for 4th June
  • Meanwhile, shit hits the fan in USA, with protests and looting everywhere
  • Company says "welp, maybe it's better to postpone since it's just a video and we can do that easily"
So what is the exactly the problem here?
Is this the situation? Help me understand here.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
See, you're not wrong. Making a fuss because a PlayStation event has been delayed by a few days is the epitome of entitlement, when a nation is in turmoil.

However, I'll offer a different perspective.
It doesn't matter if the delay is dictated by sincere reasons, or it's just a PR stunt to avoid losing people's attention and media coverage, and to avoid backlash from social media.
Let's say the event is delayed by one day. Is it too early? Would the company be declared insensitive, tone-deaf, and the like? Maybe. Probably.
Let's say the event is delayed by a week. But if all the turmoil is really a big thing, would it just go away in a week and let everyone's life exactly as it was before? If people forget all about this in a week, if people are ready to sit down for a video game event in a week - then was all of this really the big thing that forced companies to release statements and pospone events? If people are ready to go back to video games in a week, what would that tell about their commitment to a cause? What about their grief? What about the dreams of change and revolution? No true revolution is over in a week. Or a month. Or a year, even.

So yeah, being butthurt about this today is quite laughable.
But there's two possible outcomes here: 1) if shits really hits the fan, everyone will have bigger things to worry about than video games for quite some time; 2) if people are ready to go back to video games before a month or two at least, then all this fuss will have been a big fat bag of nothing, and all the people who are applauding Sony today will be hypocrites. Because you don't just go back to your couch to follow a live presentation of a video game console when there's critical shit happening in the streets. What are the protestors gonna do if the presentation is postponed to next week? Just stop in the middle of a protest and say "hold my brick, gotta follow the PS5 event, be back in a couple hours"? Keep protests on hold for a day to watch the event? What would that say about them and their protest?

So you see, the irony here is that saying "we're postponing the event" and "relax, the event is happening, you'll just have to wait a little longer" means that after all, we're all actually expecting the heat to cool down and for all that's happening to be just another week in America and the social media world. We're not expecting this to last. We still have the luxury to look forward to a video game event in a short time. We think that life is going to be back to normal soon. And this is already undermining and undervaluing the protest as it happens. We don't really think it's going to change the world, or even America.

So, while making a fuss about the event not being on June 4th as previously announced is a bit childish, even expecting it to happen soon is proof that the people applauding Sony's move don't really think the protests going on amount to much in the grand scheme of things. if you're still thinking about video games at this moment, then you're really not less privileged than the people opening threads to whine about the June 4th event getting cancelled.

But hey, I'm not blaming or accusing anyone here. Our time is not a time of big, systemic changes or violent revolutions. It's perfectly understandable to expect life to get back to the previous normality soon. We'll see how this ends. Meanwhile, enjoy the fact that we can discuss about video games at all :messenger_grinning:

DESTROYA

OP we waited this long what’s the big deal if we wait another week or two?
Seems like a real stupid reason to be butthurt over such a insignificant thing ( the delay),does your whole world revolve around console reveals ? If so that’s pretty pathetic.

Last edited:

Senhua

• Company says "welp, maybe it's better to postpone since it's just a video and we can do that easily"
I guess you must be born with silver spoon on your mouth and live in one of the "advanced" G7 country:

The shit hit the fan in USA you been described before is already happen a lot at another third world "shithole" countries and still go on until now so the announcement will be delayed forever is that's the reason for why been delayed for (which is not, that's way this is only the PR reason).

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
Tbf i think yes marketing first, but Sony is also trying to be good corporate spreading good messages.
I know people inside there are good people :goog_hugging_face:

US-A is fractured and you guys should change your laws. What good is democracy and capitalism and protests when nothing really change.

sircaw

Banned
I hate the Delay too but if i was the owner of Playstation, i probably would of delayed the event to.

It is a win win for them on all metrics, regardless if they are doing it do the "so called right reasons"

Miles708

I guess you must be born with silver spoon on your mouth and live in one of the "advanced" G7 country:

The shit hit the fan in USA you been described before is already happen a lot at another third world "shithole" countries and still go on until now so the announcement will be delayed forever is that's the reason for why been delayed for (which is not, that's way this is only the PR reason).

But (correct me if I'm wrong) this protests have had a major media reach everywhere in the world, correct? It's pretty much like the Hong Kong protests.
USA is a major market for Sony, they have an IMPORTANT presentation to make, and there are protests everywhere in one of the most important markets.

Don't get me wrong, it's 100% a marketing move coated in PR, but it's far from unreasonable, or strange, or unprecedented.

Complaining about it it's what I don't understand. You expect a big company to make a major announcement in the middle of major protests in your biggest market? How is it not reasonable to postpone?
It's entertainment.

Last edited:
Do you actually partake in pro Palestine protests?

No, and I dont have to to make a point. You know what people in Europe and Asia did when this news hit about Floyd? Oh just another day in USA and then they changed the channel or posted a new selfie on FB. The fact that Americans think whatever happens there is the only important situation yet they dont even know the name of the country they are currently bombing. Theres plenty of police brutality everywhere, hell in my country (Serbia) a young couple was shot by police at a red light and the government just made the cops disappear. Did you hear about our protests? Of course you didnt, its not the USA so its not important. Wow, one minority got killed by a police officer, how about families being butchered every week? I was in the states when the bombing of Afghanistan started, it was a joke, looked like a firework show on CNN. But hey, one person died, everyone you must be with us or you are against us.

Sorry, my fuckometer for the situation is 0 because theres so much shit happening everywhere. People just found a reson to destroy their own city and local mom and pop shops. How ethical.

Evilms

Banned
Sony, microsoft, nintendo, google, samsung, apple, nvidia ... are all hypocrites, never forget that their primary goal is ''money'' and only money.
The rest is marketing to take care of their image, so don't be naive.

Geki-D

Banned
No, and I dont have to to make a point.
So you think Sony have to make a point of all world events if they do so for one. Yet you personally don't for any, despite saying Sony are hypocrites? That's pretty hypocritical.
You know what people in Europe and Asia did when this news hit about Floyd? Oh just another day in USA and then they changed the channel or posted a new selfie on FB.
Uh-huh.

The funny thing is that the same Tweet on the Japanese PS Twitter got overwhelmingly positive responses

Probably because the Japanese aren't a bunch on entitled, whiny man babies, like you guys.

The fact that Americans think whatever happens there is the only important situation yet they dont even know the name of the country they are currently bombing.
Are you trying to sell a product in the US which is one of your biggest markets?
Sorry, my fuckometer for the situation is 0 because theres so much shit happening everywhere.
That sounds like a "you problem", not Sony's.

Sony, microsoft, nintendo, google, samsung, apple, nvidia ... are all hypocrites, never forget that their primary goal is ''money'' and only money.
The rest is marketing to take care of their image, so don't be naive.
So when will the uprising be, comrade?

Last edited:

_Justinian_

Gold Member
No, and I dont have to to make a point. You know what people in Europe and Asia did when this news hit about Floyd? Oh just another day in USA and then they changed the channel or posted a new selfie on FB.

Actually, they had protests in Britain, Germany, France, Denmark, Italy, Syria, Brazil, Mexico, Ireland, New Zealnd, Canada, Poland and Australia all in support of Black Lives Matters. You don't have to personally care about current events, but don't assume that everyone thinks the same way as you do.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Mods:
can't these threads be in off-topic? This is far too brain capacity driven and asking question I am trying to escape when entering the NeoGaf Forums---can we just stay with games here?
Really, every step of the day is full of news, full of morality questions full of ethics, complaints, wars, death...can't we just stay with freaking games here?

Just scroll past. A gaming company directly got involved in the issue. Other people want to know about it and discuss it.

virtue signaling is currency in this country. Its actually quite disgusting to see companies fake outrage and sympathy to gain off of tragedy.

thats why when i see Sony, Nike, or especially Blizzard, come out with statements it actually makes me look at them in a far worse light.

they dont actually care.

Actually, they had protests in Britain, Germany, France, Denmark, Italy, Syria, Brazil, Mexico, Ireland, New Zealnd, Canada, Poland and Australia all in support of Black Lives Matters. You don't have to personally care about current events, but don't assume that everyone thinks the same way as you do.
extremely small protests by some more 18-22 year olds desperately trying to be a part of something and who know nothing about the situation

_Justinian_

Gold Member
extremely small protests by some more 18-22 year olds desperately trying to be a part of something and who know nothing about the situation
Thousands of people is considered extremely small (New Zealand, for example)? Look, if you are not going to take the time to do due diligence and instead make blanket and ignorant statements, I'm not going to waste my time with you.

ZehDon

On a different note, it seems like it's Sony, US who does not look around them, more than anything. I don't mind they delayed presentation, but their attitude, that only USA matters in this regard, when shit is happening all around the globe, way more people dying from injustice elsewhere, but that's just fucking fine.

It's same with USA narrative about Nazis, what do you hear most of the time with Nazis? 6 million Jews. Well 5.9 million Polish people was killed during war, USSR cut large portion of their country, but then again they are Slavs, they don't matter. But what about 6 million Jews. That type of shit pisses me off.

And no, 6 millions jews is terrible tragedy, which should not happened and it's despicable horrible shit, but you know, they weren't alone.

If you want justice, you just simply cannot pick and choose.
What? Virtually nothing you’ve said is of any relevance or makes any sense. Did you read your post before you hit send, or did you copy and paste it from Reddit?

Sony, a company increasingly based in the US with the US being the largest market for their new PS5, delayed a presentation held in the US due to riots in the city in the US where the presentation was to be held. They didn’t postpone it because “a crime in the US must be observed by all the world”.
They did it because down the street from where they were going to tell people about their video game console, hundreds of thousands of unarmed civilians are being assaulted by the police, journalists are being blinded and arrested, and buildings are being set on fire.
It would be like complaining that Sony Japan cancelled their new blu ray presentation because of a civil war that’s erupted in Japan and brought Tokyo to its knees as civilians fight the police in the streets.

Seriously, you self-evidently don’t know a thing about what you’re talking about. Stop embarrassing yourself, this hobby, and this forum.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
What? Virtually nothing you’ve said is of any relevance or makes any sense. Did you read your post before you hit send, or did you copy and paste it from Reddit?

Sony, a company increasingly based in the US with the US being the largest market for their new PS5, delayed a presentation held in the US due to riots in the city in the US where the presentation was to be held. They didn’t postpone it because “a crime in the US must be observed by all the world”.
They did it because down the street from where they were going to tell people about their video game console, hundreds of thousands of unarmed civilians are being assaulted by the police, journalists are being blinded and arrested, and buildings are being set on fire.
It would be like complaining that Sony Japan cancelled their new blu ray presentation because of a civil war that’s erupted in Japan and brought Tokyo to its knees as civilians fight the police in the streets.

Seriously, you self-evidently don’t know a thing about what you’re talking about. Stop embarrassing yourself, this hobby, and this forum.
It was more due to wording of an official Playstation tweet, because that's how Americans talks to world on daily basis, but I digress and eat my shit.But your high-horse stance, on how intelligent you are, it's nothing short of laughable, if anything you did not undestand what I meant, but is clear, that from your perspective, there is not going to be understanding of think that I have in mind. And sure, I could be way more articulate in English and that's my fault.

Aion002

The barrage of emails I got when covid started, it's like these companies were tripping all over themselves in their mad dash to try and let people know they care and are supportive. Same with this most recent incident. Only difference is everybody is pretending to be "supportive", and virtue signaling hard as a mofo.

The fun part is that none of these companies decided to say: "Hey China! Change your laws!! Treat your population better or we are going to stop doing buisiness with you!!"

Nope! They just keep doing business as usual, using factories that have almost zero laws protecting the workers in a fucking commie gorvenment that let the world be infected again by a huge virus that originated there!

But hey! They care about us... I mean... Our money!! Yay!

Last edited:

Rudius

The problem is that the delay won't affect the situation, won't make anything better or worse in that regard. The only ones affected in any way by this are those who were waiting for months for this conference.

Rudius

The fun part is that none of these companies decided to say: "Hey China! Change your laws!! Treat your population better or we are going to stop doing buisiness with you!!"

Nope! They just keep doing business as usual, using factories that have almost zero laws protecting the workers in a fucking commie gorvenment that let the world be infected again by a huge virus that originated there!

What is worse is that in the case of workers in Chine the technology corporations have some responsibility in the matter, they could do something to improve the situation. Instead they talk about things unrelated to them and outside of their control. It's pure verbal flatulence.

jimbojim

Banned
This photo is fitting to the situation. And no this is not about SONY but the situation as a whole. Either way my opinion is that, you are holding an event to an international audience no only US citizens. Im just not a fan of game reporting to halt because of a death of one man. Its tragic what happened but this aint no riot for Floyd, its people sick of sitting at home during Covid and want to fuck shit up. So pretty much 70% out there are just to "have fun", they dont care bout no cause. They are treating this as if terrorists bombed an orphanage of 500 kids.

9MjIHNV.jpg

The thing is these are isolated incidents which didn't caused protest, vandalism, riot across the country and mobilizing the army. These incidents in Palestine aren't related to racism. In US events are totally different. That'a the point. What i should do if someone near my place got killed in car crash, don't go at work, quit the job? Every company in every business segment every day, every hour should cancel conference, sales, close the factory because someone died at car crash, died in hospital, arrested or killed by police. What happened in US few days ago caused massive protest across the US and army is mobilized in more than 20 states. Protests are spreaded globally too. Surely not in that scale like in US.

Last edited:

Chankoras

and hopefully you don't but that stuff made in China, otherwise you'd also be hypocrite.

cireza

For the few who did not know it yet and who work in a big company : you probably witnessed it during Covid-19, only money counts. Every else is a pretext.

Aion002

and hopefully you don't but that stuff made in China, otherwise you'd also be hypocrite.
This argument is great.

It's impossible to not buy things from China... Almost everything is made there.... However, you can and should know that the chinese government is not "cool" and companies don't really care about what's right or wrong. It's just that.. Also, if you don't like when people points that out... Well... That's fine.

Last edited:

CAB_Life

A tweet means nothing and costs nothing. Minimum effort for maximum social media gain and I’m appalled that so many have fallen for this empty brand of altruism. Wake me when they drop a billion dollars and put boots on the ground toward inner city reformation and feeding the homeless. My partner and I do soup kitchens every holiday and I can humbly say that generates more sincere goodwill than any of these meaningless platitudes.

Activision now jumping on the bandwagon tells you all you need to know.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Because America is a big market for them and any negative publicity would directly affect their bottom line. I don't think war-torn countries in the Middle East count as a big market. And they've kept silent on Hong Kong because they don't want to piss off their good friends in the CCP who make their chips for them.
It would not affect sales one iota.

Chankoras

This argument is great.

It's impossible to not buy things from China... Almost everything is made there.... However, you can and should know that the chinese government is not "cool"... Nothing against the Chinese people.....
Exactly, things aren't simple, there no binary choice. We live in an imperfect world full of contradictions and suffering that benefits us, that's the reality.
Does it make me a hypocrite to care more about an issue that affects me personally but not another that doesn't? Maybe egoistic, not necessarily hypocritical.

Top Bottom