• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony announces partnership w/ KojiPro, New IP, 1st game "console exclusive to PS4"/PC

Busty

Banned
So Konami will now keep releasing new Metal Gear Solid games and annual PES titles?
I wonder how MGS will change without Kojima, as in which direction will they take it.

If I were MS I'd try and form a partnership with Konami which would see the Microsoft Games Group finance, develop and publish future MGS games with Konami keeping ownership of the IP and getting a license fee.

This would allow Konami to keep exploiting the MGS brand/IP for gambling machines or whatever without having to actually finance and publish any new games and it would give MS a feather in their gaming portfolio.

Toki767

Bit weird if it's only going to be console exclusive, IIRC SFV was only like that because Sony wasn't providing all of the funding for the game. Maybe there's another publisher which is also funding development?

It's probably a case where they focus on the PS4 version and release a PC one later on. Sony's probably partially funding the game, but I think more than anything, they're providing support to make sure Kojima can get his new studio up and running.

nib95

Banned
Regarding that Shu tweet, I genuinely don't see a) what elicits that response and b) the sick burn as a result.

Mind you, I like Shu, just..someone explain this to me. Explain the comedy of this "bit" if you will. Ryan is asking "did MS not even try to go for this once it was apparent Kojima was leaving Konami" which, given how little we know, maybe they did, maybe they didn't. It's a genuine question.

One of the greatest developers ever, who's just been dicked over massively by Konami, lost his job and been through so much shit, sets up a brand spanking new studio and is making a new IP/game, but Ryan's first thoughts aren't, oh that's awesome, or, congratulations Kojima, or I can't wait to see what they make etc. It's, why didn't Microsoft get this first? Or are Microsoft even trying? It's essentially his fandom for the latter getting in the way again, and Shu simply putting that on blast in a trollish, light hearted way.

I dont get how this is over the top?

Am I missing something here?

Exactly. I thought it was a nice and quick classy video.
Others publishers would've had journalists/reporters all up in there on a rooftop.

PlayStation exclusive is sucky. And I can't help but feel that the general vibe in this thread would be very different if the deal was with Microsoft instead.

Sucky for some XB1 owners but still the most logical decision.
If he'd signed with Activision or EA, my first thoughts would've been:

1. Limited creative freedom
2. Tight budget
3. Microtransactions/DLC stuffed up the wazoo

wapplew

With Kojima leaving Konami, most of the famous Japanese game developers has left their original company and go independent.

Not many of them did well thou.

Nzyme32

Please tell me that this doesn't mean the games aren't coming out on pc?

I mean, I get that Sony wants exclusives, but why do studios have to drag PC into the mess? You can still release on one console and maintain "exclusivness" while still releasing on the pc and getting even more sales from both sides.

Seems rather stupid to limit it to a one console and knock pc players out as well.

How the hell can you be upset over the fact that games are also brought to PC, when the important matter is that people are getting both a new Hideo Kojima game, and he gets to form an independent studio.

Games are expensive and have a long development time, and this is even more noticeable with Kojima's MGS V. No single platform's audience would be enough to justify a game of such a large scale, and Sony are happy to engage with that in order to get an "exclusive" to their console - a major selling point for their system since many of their target market are not interested in getting a PC. Sony don't see PC as an entity as competitive for their target market or them, which is true in my opinion.

Regardless, this is probably going the route of Helldivers, where Sony can publish it to Steam or else where, and also gain get a return from the PC version similar to how Microsoft has operated with some of its older games.

It's definitely a shame for other platforms, but in the end if Sony are involved in the development, its costs and marketing, its up to them and Hideo, who is just as much a part of the decision. Good news at least is that he and his studio are independent; there could be other platform collaborations and multiplatform games to come.

LifEndz

PlayStation exclusive is sucky. And I can't help but feel that the general vibe in this thread would be very different if the deal was with Microsoft instead.

Well yeah, but that's because it wouldn't make any sense. Kojima's relationship with playstation goes back twenty years. Hell, House did the video in Japanese...and I didn't even know he spoke Japanese. This deal makes sense. It stands to reason the majority of Kojima's fanbase are on playstation, so of course he would partner with Sony.

A consistent view on third-party platform exclusives, regardless of the platform would be nice.

well, ask Kojima, it's his choice

Joey-Tribianni-Shrug-Friends.gif

IvanJ

Banned
Regarding that Shu tweet, I genuinely don't see a) what elicits that response and b) the sick burn as a result.

Mind you, I like Shu, just..someone explain this to me. Explain the comedy of this "bit" if you will. Ryan is asking "did MS not even try to go for this once it was apparent Kojima was leaving Konami" which, given how little we know, maybe they did, maybe they didn't. It's a genuine question.

I think the point was not the question as you have written it...It was that Ryan said it was the very first thing that he thought of...

When most people's first thoughts might be stuff from this thread here:
- Which game/genre
- Who else is with him
- What's up with the logo
- Ownership of Fox engine
etc. etc.

Asking about Microsoft when the topic at hand has nothing at all to do with that company surely points to bias and an attempt at stirring the pot.

iMax

If I were MS I'd try and form a partnership with Konami which would see the Microsoft Games Group finance, develop and publish future MGS games with Konami keeping ownership of the IP and getting a license fee.

This would allow Konami to keep exploiting the MGS brand/IP for gambling machines or whatever without having to actually finance and publish any new games and it would give MS a feather in their gaming portfolio.

And I know the perfect man to direct it...

molyneuxtears.png

heh

FootballFan

I think Shu is talking about the "my first thought" part. Ryan's first thought when he heard the news was "Why didn't microsoft etc etc." which is a tad strange even as a Xbox journalist.

Instead of being happy that Kojima is free to make new games, he turned into a console exclusivity point. Probably am wrong, just my guess.

One of the greatest developers ever, who's just been dicked over massively by Konami, lost his job and been through so much shit, sets up a brand spanking new studio and is making a new IP/game, but Ryan's first thoughts aren't, oh that's awesome, or, congratulations Kojima, or I can't wait to see what they make etc. It's, why didn't Microsoft get this first? Or are Microsoft even trying? It's essentially his fanboyism for the latter getting in the way again, and Shu's simply putting that on blast in a trollish, light hearted way.

I think the point was not the question as you have written it...It was that Ryan said it was the very first thing that he thought of...

When most people's first thoughts might be stuff from this thread here:
- Which game/genre
- Who else is with him
- What's up with the logo
- Ownership of Fox engine
etc. etc.

Asking about Microsoft when the topic at hand has nothing at all to do with that company surely points to bias and an attempt at stirring the pot.

Fair enough I suppose. Though personally I feel Shu came off a bit defensive, but eh.

FootballFan

Good point, but would Konami ignore the larger usebase? I am not sure.

Tfault

One of the greatest developers ever, who's just been dicked over massively by Konami, lost his job and been through so much shit, sets up a brand spanking new studio and is making a new IP/game, but Ryan's first thoughts aren't, oh that's awesome, or, congratulations Kojima, or I can't wait to see what they make etc. It's, why didn't Microsoft get this first? Or are Microsoft even trying? It's essentially his fanboyism for the latter getting in the way again, and Shu's simply putting that on blast in a trollish, light hearted way.

That's literally his job though.

Fair enough but did he not think for a second how awful of a fit he would be for Microsoft? Or be happy as a gamer/Journalist that Kojima is back making a game?

Instead his fanboy instincts kicked in and he got shot down by a president of SCE of all people.

Perfection.

Macrotus

At first, I thought Kojima looked so exhausted with that beard.

But then something came to my mind that,his beard might mean something.
I mean, its Kojima. Maybe its a hidden message that hints what his next game will be. /tinfoilhat

It reminded me of Venom snakes beard, but I know its a general type of beard and nothing special...

dakun

Rather than not partner with one side at all? Like lots of third-parties.

after coming out of a bad experience with another 3rd party? I'm sure at this point creative freedom, time and money (for his game) is all that he cares about. Sony is the right partner on that front.

Endo Punk

That is such a cool logo. Honestly it was the most logical conclusion and Koj has had a great working relationship with Sony for over 15 years, most of his games have been exclusive to PS at the time of release.

Sony gives too much freedom to their devs, sometimes it works and we get TLOU and sometimes it doesn't and we get The Order. In this case I believe that Kojima will deliver, even though MGSV is my least fav of his games I won't deny its positive push in the gameplay department and visuals all in stunning 60fps. Just fuck the characters, lack of quality boss fights and story which put me off the game. Now he won't be chained to such a tired IP which excites me to no end.

I really thought MS would have worked something out with Kojima when the rumours started.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
To be fair, Kojima's new game is not gonna be a Metal Gear.

If it went multiplatform would you reckon that it would at least sell better on PS4. Most people would. Also, first game for a new developer in Japan with western awareness it makes sense to go with the biggest Japanese publisher with the best PC deals. As in Sony.

Pachimari

I'm honestly really sad, that all that tech in the Fox Engine is stuck at Konami. After all that hard work Kojima and the team put into it for years, and it just goes to waste now. :(

Hopefully Unreal Engine 4 helps them out, like it has helped a lot of other Japanese developers.

Looks at ps4..

Denzelwashington.trainingday.gif

Glad to see this man legacy won't be scattered to the wind and he's already making moves towards his next franchise.

ViciousDS

Banned
anyone think Konami's lawyers will be after this?

There had to have been planning under this and wouldn't this have been a breach......because there is no way this was all decided in a mere 24 hours.

Heartfyre

Some people are taking that tweet from Shu way too seriously. It's a lighthearted joke, not an exposé.

Starting up an indie studio with PlayStation support is a very smart way to start out. If Kojima goes on to make a different, multiplatform game afterwards, they'll be in a much better position to do so after this Sony support. And yeah, that logo is superb. Shinkawa's hands are all over it. It's like a Romanesque Outer Heaven.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Why? Because I am not irrationally pissed off about a game not coming to my 300 dollar console of choice?

It was a wise business decision from Sony. For all we know the game would be impossible without the backing/funding from Sony

Because you irrationally gloating and "haha you loser you poser salty people" other folks because the game is coming to your 300 dollar console of choice and not theirs.

My console is PS4 only right now so this is obviously good news for me, but for people to say "Hah! Fanboy!" to someone questioning why Microsoft didn't seem interested to pursue Kojima is just... fanboyish all in itself.

Eh, not a really big deal I guess.

iMax

I think Shu is talking about the "my first thought" part. Ryan's first thought when he heard the news was "Why didn't microsoft etc etc." which is a tad strange even as a Xbox journalist.

Instead of being happy that Kojima is free to make new games, he turned into a console exclusivity point. Probably am wrong, just my guess.

Oh I'm sure Microsoft cared. But I seem to remember Phil saying once that he wasn't prepared to do third-party exclusivity deals without retaining IP ownership moving forward after Sunset Overdrive, so if there was a negotiation, that would've been an issue.

Similarly, the Nikkei report said that Sony was the "front-runner", didn't it IIRC? That would certainly imply that conversations were in place with some big players, and I would guess Microsoft was one of them.

Nesther

Rather than not partner with one side at all? Like lots of third-parties.

Who knows what made him choose Sony. Maybe the contract agreement was really good, maybe he has a lot of friends there or maybe he just likes Playstation?
Whatever his reasons, this is good news.

Hoo-doo

Banned
What are Microsoft doing letting this get away from them?

They're in dire need of new studios creating (console) exclusive software

I mean, what leverage does Microsoft have to snatch this game up?

They have half the userbase, zero presence in japan/europe, and (in my personal interpretation) not the greatest track record of giving their development houses the freedom they require. This is just the nature of business.

I don't see a problem with Ryan's tweet.

It ignores a number of things.

1.) Sony has a well known history of giving developers big budgets and allowing them to be free in terms of input. That doesn't mean that they don't try to steer the ship at all, but they understand on some level that you just have to trust developers.

2.) It assumes that MS calling would actually change things.

3.) And it ignores how close Sony has been with Kojima for the majority of his career. Remember when MS would bring Kojima on stage to talk about or announce something? What what happen after that? He'd end up right back on Sony's stage and some sort of marketing campaign was formed for his games.

iMax

Fair enough but did he not think for a second how awful of a fit he would be for Microsoft? Or be happy as a gamer/Journalist that Kojima is back making a game?

Instead his fanboy instincts kicked in and he got shot down by a president of SCE of all people.

Perfection.

Fanboy instincts? He's a Microsoft reporter, so he's speculating on what their interaction may have been.

As for a bad fit, yeah, it would be on the face of it. But having a studio in Japan led by the calibre of Kojima and his team, it would have had the potential to fill a gaping hole in Microsoft's portfolio.

Top Bottom