• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony announces partnership w/ KojiPro, New IP, 1st game "console exclusive to PS4"/PC

iMax

Please be P.T.

Donna Burke @db_singer_actor
Doing horror voice overs for a new game... Lots of different screams... Am scaring myself

[tweet]https://twitter.com/db_singer_actor/status/674094843853844480[/tweet]

Umm.

CVrdrkOUEAAY5LA.jpg:orig

WBUOuqo.jpg

Melchiah

Sony gives too much freedom to their devs, sometimes it works and we get TLOU and sometimes it doesn't and we get The Order.

And without the freedom we'd get neither. It's better to have more artistic freedom, and get a few flops as a result, than to have restrictions and guidelines based on what's more likely to sell.

Such a lust for game developing, he should have taken a break before jumping straight back in. Whatever he makes I will be interested in and hope it turns out great.

Coxy100

Banned
PlayStation exclusive is sucky. And I can't help but feel that the general vibe in this thread would be very different if the deal was with Microsoft instead.
Agreed - there is a clear Sony bias on GAF at times.

(and yes I know it makes more sense for him to partner with Sony - but doesn't change the fact it would be a very different reaction on here)

Exactly. I thought it was a nice and quick classy video.
Others publishers would've had journalists/reporters all up in there on a rooftop.

Sucky for some XB1 owners but still the most logical decision.
If he'd signed with Activision or EA, my first thoughts would've been:

1. Limited creative freedom
2. Tight budget
3. Microtransactions/DLC stuffed up the wazoo
Some? All of us!

televator

Please be P.T.

Donna Burke @db_singer_actor
Doing horror voice overs for a new game... Lots of different screams... Am scaring myself

[tweet]https://twitter.com/db_singer_actor/status/674094843853844480[/tweet]

Well of course it would not be Silent Hill. Quiet Peak is NOT Silent Hill. Just like The Evil Within is NOT Resident Evil.

Nesther

And without the freedom we'd get neither. It's better to have more artistic freedom, and get a few flops as a result, than to have restrictions and guidelines based on what's more likely to sell.

Indeed. And it seems we get more hits than flops this way. I mean he used The Order has an example of fucking up due to too much freedom, but a few months later another studio has a success story thanks to Until Dawn.

le.phat

PlayStation exclusive is sucky. And I can't help but feel that the general vibe in this thread would be very different if the deal was with Microsoft instead.

That's because a Microsoft deal makes way less sense ( business, logistics, language barriers, culture ).

Melchiah

Yeah, to an extent. But on a wider scale; working with a renowned Japan-based studio would've been a feather in their cap.

The Mistwalker exclusives did very little for them in regards to getting a foothold in Japan, and if I'm not mistaken they didn't sell that much worldwide either. Even FFXIII sold more on the PS3, despite of the simultaneous release date and a smaller worldwide userbase. It just seems like the majority of XB users aren't that interested in these type of games, and they generally sell more on the PS platforms.

shanafan

I wonder how much money is needed with game development of such a high caliber from a developer like Kojima Productions. It's not they can come right out of the gate in 2015 and make a AAA title as their first game, right? Could we realistically see another Kickstarter announcement at E3?

El-Suave

Brilliant move by Sony to announce the partnership this way. What a glorious year this has been in terms of big announcements - and as a nice side effect Kojima being back this way will spice up E3's for years to come.

iMax

Perhaps, but i'm sure he knows about Ryan. He's actually been dumping on Sony's 2016 exclusive lineup.

Dumping, sharing his opinions, whatever.

Sony's 2016 exclusive lineup isn't objectively better than Microsoft's, just how Microsoft's 2015 exclusive lineup wasn't objectively better than Sony's.

People like different things!

karma2578

awesome news but given they've not hired staff yet or started, the scope of kojima games and production time I have my doubts about PS4, maybe PS5

Rozart

It would be a massive fuck you to Konami too. Would be amazing if they trolled the name as well. Like "Silent mountain" or "The Hills are Silent" or something equally bad hahaha.

I'm joking. Still, it's exciting times indeed.

Ahaha, those are terrible but I absolutely love them.

Konami would be fuming.

Dumping, sharing his opinions, whatever.

Sony's 2016 exclusive lineup isn't objectively better than Microsoft's, just how Microsoft's 2015 exclusive lineup wasn't objectively better than Sony's.

People like different things!

Not sure why that stops Shu calling him out though. I don't think the tweet was that particularly warranted but it's whatever.

Helping out a game developer that starts his own studio after being treated like shit and fired is being arrogant?

Missing the point.

This was probably going to be a PSX announcement, but the timing was off. Now that Kojima is done at Konami, they made it public. Not an issue at all.

I think that's speculation. They must have known the conditions of his contract beforehand.

Not at all in my opinion. Once he announces he is out of contract he wouldn't have been left alone by people trying to find out what direction he was heading in. I see the announcement more as a necessity at this point.

Fair point. It's not the announcement itself that I criticise, but more like the way how they announced that.

Yeah, Sony is being so arrogant reviving dead franchises and funding games that otherwise would not be made. Complacent Sony can't keep getting away with this!

Also missing the point.

How the fuck else would they announce it? If you managed to get Hideo fucking Kojima to partner with your studio you wouldn't just put out a little press release, would you? No, you'd want to sing it from the rooftops and make sure everyone knew the huge deal you just made. How the fuck is this even arrogant? Jesus. People are digging real deep to find the worst in companies lately.

You really need to chill, man. It's just my opinion yo.

Top Bottom