• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony announces partnership w/ KojiPro, New IP, 1st game "console exclusive to PS4"/PC

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
The big point to take away from "console exclusive" is that it means Kojima Productions keep the IP, as the only time Sony says "exclusive" is when they own the IP, like Bloodborne.

I'm sure retaining control was point #1 on his contract after leaving behind so much with Konami.

zsynqx

It ignores a number of things.

1.) Sony has a well known history of giving developers big budgets and allowing them to be free in terms of input. That doesn't mean that they don't try to steer the ship at all, but they understand on some level that you just have to trust developers.

2.) It assumes that MS calling would actually change things.

3.) And it ignores how close Sony has been with Kojima for the majority of his career. Remember when MS would bring Kojima on stage to talk about or announce something? What what happen after that? He'd end up right back on Sony's stage and some sort of marketing campaign was formed for his games.

But that is just him pandering to his followers who are likely to be interested in that aspect.

wapplew

anyone think Konami's lawyers will be after this?

There had to have been planning under this and wouldn't this have been a breach......because there is no way this was all decided in a mere 24 hours.

Let's hope Sony lawyer up and protect Kojima from those nonsense.

Now I hope Sony is buying the Metal Gear console rights and put a Metal Gear Anthology on PS4 under supervision of Kojima. (And remove any reference to Konami.)

That would sell millions imo.

deoee

He has risen

AdoredFlamboyantAntarcticgiantpetrel.gif

As much as I joked about Cerny earlier, I doubt he is as involved as people think and neither is Shu. All the sony twitter people are crediting Brad Douglas (Global Third-Party Relations) for this partnership. Which leads me to further believe Kojima's new IP isn't owned by Sony, otherwise that would be Shuhei's jurisdiction.

Yeah, I doubt Shu was very involved, but I'm sure Cerny and Kojima had conversations in the tub. But you're right, it makes sense that Douglas would be central to this.

This has to happen. There's nothing stopping Del Torro and Junji Ito hopping on board, right?

It would be a massive fuck you to Konami too. Would be amazing if they trolled the name as well. Like "Silent mountain" or "The Hills are Silent" or something equally bad hahaha.

I'm joking. Still, it's exciting times indeed.

Sony please support Kojima hard with his crazy marketing stunts and ideas.

I know he will have insane ideas later on :)

Sony will market the shit out of a Kojima exclusive game. He's never been more popular than now and honestly I don't think any developer has been more popular than Kojima right now.

Sjefen

Shu is the man. Ryan could have congratulated Sony instead of going total fanboy, maybe thats why Shu said what he said. Kojima and MS doesnt really have the history that Sony has, so it kind of a natural choice. If Kojima went with MS it would have been Tomb Raider backlash x 100

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Yeah, I doubt Shu was very involved, but I'm sure Cerny and Kojima had conversations in the tub. But you're right, it makes sense that Douglas would be central to this.

All great deals in history have been made in the tub.

This must cost alot of money for Sony considering how Konami being salty over Kojima being overbudget making Fox Engine+MGSV.

I mean, Kojima makes games that are financially risky, but unless I'm wrong, he's always made it back. Konami just kinda got tired of the traditional model when they realized spending 1/10th the budget on other projects that brought in comparable profit to things like MGS was a better option for them. I think Sony isn't afraid, and matter of fact, is banking on using it as an example to bring people over to their platform.

Henkka

Banned
I don't see an issue with the exclusivity. Sure, it's a bummer for Xbox and PC folks... But Sony probably just gave him a blank check to make whatever he wants. It's still a fledgling studio, so starting out with just one platform gives them time to eventually ramp up to multiplatform development. If he wanted to immediately make a multiplatform game, he would need a bigger studio and funding from a third-party that might not give him as much freedom as Sony.

BadWolf

So good to hear from Kojima again, glad to see that he is able to use the KojiPro name.

I guess that bit about PSX originally being planned to end with his announcement might be true.

Melchiah

Fanboy instincts? He's a Microsoft reporter, so he's speculating on what their interaction may have been.

As for a bad fit, yeah, it would be on the face of it. But having a studio in Japan led by the calibre of Kojima and his team, it would have had the potential to fill a gaping hole in Microsoft's portfolio.

Like TR did for a missing adventure game in their portfolio?

iamcenok

Yasssss. I'll take almost any game done by this man. Hope he picks up where he left off with silent Hills and uses some of the ideas and concepts in a new horror ip.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I'd rather it be Sony then Microsoft. Especially after watching Lara Croft crash and burn, I don't want Kojima's new game doing the same. Especially with Japan having no interest in the console.

I don't see an issue with the exclusivity. Sure, it's a bummer for Xbox and PC folks... But Sony probably just gave him a blank check to make whatever he wants. It's still a fledgling studio, so starting out with just one platform gives them time to eventually ramp up to multiplatform development. If he wanted to immediately make a multiplatform game, he would need a bigger studio and funding from a third-party that might not give him as much freedom as Sony.

It is coming to pc's ;) They use the words console exclusive. So it will come to PC's sooner or later.
And that means Sony is not 100% funding it, because that would make it an exclusive all the way.

NeoN1

Neo Member
Please be P.T.

Donna Burke @db_singer_actor
Doing horror voice overs for a new game... Lots of different screams... Am scaring myself

[tweet]https://twitter.com/db_singer_actor/status/674094843853844480[/tweet]

Sapientas

Really awesome news and that logo. Feels good to know he will still work in this industry, even after all the bullshit he went through with Konami.

Sony has been hitting it out of the ball park this gen. Incredible how much they understand their gamers.
This gen is already shitting on the last one from a great height. And coincidentally Sony happens to be on top...... I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the PS4 surpasses PS1 and rivals PS2. They are killing it. Sales, exclusives, everything.

I'd rather it be Sony then Microsoft. Especially after watching Lara Croft crash and burn, I don't want Kojima's new game doing the same. Especially with Japan having no interest in the console.
Absolutely. I think it would have been very dumb for him to go with Microsoft. I'd imagine most Japanese developers learned their lesson after last gen though.

Nesther

This must cost alot of money for Sony considering how Konami being salty over Kojima being overbudget making Fox Engine+MGSV.

Did they actually lose money on Fox Engine and MGSV? PES has been benefitting from it and MGSV sold very well, they must have already turned a profit on it.

Sony can only benefit from this, even if his new IP doesn't turn into something extremely lucrative, this generates extreme good will and is sure to move some PS4s.

Steroyd

Shu is the man. Ryan could have congratulated Sony instead of going total fanboy, maybe thats why Shu said what he said. Kojima and MS doesnt really have the history that Sony has, so it kind of a natural choice. If Kojima went with MS it would have been Tomb Raider backlash x 100

Not really on that magnitude because it would be a Bayonetta/Sunset Overdrive sitution where it would blow over after a couple of days, now if MGS went MS exclusive...

Top Bottom