• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony announces Playstation Classic Console

cryptoadam

Banned
Its a fun nostalgia console. I don't think it will be as big a hit as the NES/SNES mini's but I think their is an audience for it.

If it was hackable and game with dual shock controlers I would be all over it.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Its a fun nostalgia console. I don't think it will be as big a hit as the NES/SNES mini's but I think their is an audience for it.

If it was hackable and game with dual shock controlers I would be all over it.

You know that PS3s are hackable, can play PS1 games, work with dual shock controllers, and cost about $100 used right? They also have the added bonus of being able to play PS3 games (and some digital PS2 games as well).

SonGoku

You know that PS3s are hackable, can play PS1 games, work with dual shock controllers, and cost about $100 used right? They also have the added bonus of being able to play PS3 games (and some digital PS2 games as well).
Used electronics? eeeeeeeeew

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Used electronics? eeeeeeeeew

I only say used since they're no longer being manufactured and aren't available at retail new. There are some NIB auctions on eBay for a premium if you're down for buying old stock.

And speaking of things that are no longer being made - you could also pick up a Playstation TV that can be hacked and plays PS1 games and supports dual shock controllers, with the added bonus of playing PSP and Vita games.

cryptoadam

Banned

actually I didn't know that PS3 was hackable now :-(. Too bad I sold mine a few years ago.

I wont by the PSmini but for people who want a fun little gadget with 100$ to burn I can see why they might be interested.

GenericUser

Sony is shameless. Just let me play my PSOne Classics that I bought on PSN on my PS4! Haha I don't want to buy them again.
it would be such a treat, if sony would make the PS1 games available on PS4, but companies gonna company you know? I know that feel though bro, I have FF9 and Tomb Raider sitting on my PS3 which I'm unable to play. I payed for them, why can I not play them on the PS4? The console is more then capable of emulating the ps1. Feelsbad. But I have to admit, I'll buy the classic anyways. I don't have principles :(

Shifty1897

Absolutely baffling that they didn't announce the games already, they have to know what's coming on it, because there's no way they'd make a December 3rd release with proper stock unless they've finalized the games coming with it by now.

Kagero

Getting it because it's cool. I don't care to play those games again. People complaining about lack of games are missing the point. This is for the die hard playstation fan.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Yeah, I don't know how they can justify selling something you can't use out of the box.

Then again, they're also too cheap to give you a USB cable when you buy a new controller (even though they can be had for cents), so I shouldn't be surprised at this point.

I was never too surprised with the controller because it came out after micro USB was the norm for 99 percent of people

But USB C isn't the norm for a lot of poeple still. Especially mid range.

So that seems very odd they went with that choice.

Edit: seems it might be micro? I'm seeing different reports.

Last edited:
Getting it because it's cool. I don't care to play those games again. People complaining about lack of games are missing the point. This is for the die hard playstation fan.
Facts. Focus on new games with the occasional remake on your current hardware.

People don't buy the latest hardware for old games. That's why Xbox (and occasionally Switch) lag behind in sales.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Most of those PSOne Classics were between $5.99 and $9.99. $9.99 was typically for multi-disc games like Final Fantasy. I bought the vast majority of them except the Disney games. I love my digital PSOne games. Suikoden I and II, Vagrant Story, Xenogears, Front Mission 3, Wild Arms 1 and 2, and the list goes on and on.

If you're looking at PS3/PSN pricing $5.99 x 20 = is $119.80 without tax. I've owned the vast majority of my PSOne digital library before Sony started adding tax to digital games. Not to mention the imports Sony has included in the collection. In reality its a pretty good deal if they include most of the $9.99 JRPGs.

Its ridiculous when I already own the games I mentioned above plus Dino Crisis 1 & 2, Parasite Eve 1 & 2, and Grandia for PS3 and Vita as we speak. I am way more satisfied with my PSN library than I would be owning something like this. I have Final Fantasy VII physically, digitally on PS3, PC, and on PS4, plus I own it on my iOS device.

I would love owning this as a PSOne fan and I'm glad they're giving people the exposure to the brand. I rarely see Sony point to their PSN selection of PSOne games in 2018. I go to my downloads list on my Vita or PS3 and search for them there.

Last edited:

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Build yourself a retropie.
All retro consoles including arcade for well under $100.
We see this shit posted in EVERY thread regarding one of these mini consoles. I do think it's the better option, but not everyone wants to do that, and no matter how many times Retropie users come in to state it's not going to change. So they just come off as obnoxious as Hell.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
We see this shit posted in EVERY thread regarding one of these mini consoles. I don't think it's the better option, but not everyone wants to do that, and no matter how many times Retropie users come in to state it's not going to change. So they just come off as obnoxious as Hell.
you are just jelli that some people have the SKILLS TO BUILD a pi 3 and use SKILLS on linux to build their own console.
I can teach you how to make one. So you can also annoy people online and spread the word about pi

Last edited:

Hotspurr

Banned
We see this shit posted in EVERY thread regarding one of these mini consoles. I don't think it's the better option, but not everyone wants to do that, and no matter how many times Retropie users come in to state it's not going to change. So they just come off as obnoxious as Hell.

Calm down, some people don't know about retropie. I for one didn't and caught someone saying it in a thread, and went out and threw mine together in a few hours. Works with any old PS3 controllers too :)

Kagero

Facts. Focus on new games with the occasional remake on your current hardware.

People don't buy the latest hardware for old games. That's why Xbox (and occasionally Switch) lag behind in sales.
I agree. I bought the SNES and NES mini. Have not touched a single game on them but they look hella cool on my desk. I play all those classic games on my PC ;P

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I have pretty much all the games that are going to be on here on the PS3 already when I grab them on sale for a dollar on PSN, however just like with the Nintendo Classic consoles, I'm going to get this for the shelf novelty.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Calm down, some people don't know about retropie. I for one didn't and caught someone saying it in a thread, and went out and threw mine together in a few hours. Works with any old PS3 controllers too :)
dhMeAzK.gif

Like I said, I meant to say "I do think it's the better option". It just gets annoying when literally every thread on the matter has people coming in to subtly, and sometimes not so subtly, spout about their superiority over others because they built a Retropie. Also, I hope I didn't come off as asshole that was singling you out. Apologies if I did.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
One thing I'm curious about, is to whether or not Sony is going to undershoot these like Nintendo did. Pre ordering an SNES Mini was far more stressful than it ever needed to be and I'm not putting myself through that again.

JimboJones

Totally in, Sony does what Nintendoes but hey a good idea is a good idea. Hopefully the controllers are as good as the NES/SNES replicas, will be useful to use them on PC as well, hell they might even work on the PS3.

CJY

Banned
That's a terrible retort. I mean they literally copied Nintendo as hard as they could have done. Which isn't bad but gee guys the amount of games included isn't mandatory.
Are you actually trying to say Nintendo were the first to this concept of releasing a miniature consoles with older games on it then? Cos I’m not sure how this is copying.

I mean, I’ve had one of these for almost a decade:
SEGA-Genesis-mini-3.jpg

Edit: “Amount of games isn’t mandatory”? What are you on about at all...

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Sony is the only one locking Fortnite accounts to their console. Neither MS or Nintendo do this.

MS is the only one locking F2P games behind paywall, neither Nintendo or Sony do this.

We can do this all day, and this shit has not place in here, and is well, off topic to the OP.

500 titles for free? Where do I sign up to get all those for... FREE?

Last edited:
:messenger_clapping::messenger_clapping::messenger_clapping::messenger_clapping:*licensed music* :messenger_clapping::messenger_clapping::messenger_clapping::messenger_clapping:
That's just Sony's retarded policies on what goes on PSN for PS1 Classics.

They mandate all games should be licensed already by the PS1 new game approval division that dissolved years ago (meaning no new localizations, or unreleased games) and should be identical to their initial versions (meaning the music licensing must be sorted out, this is why so many games on PS3 PSN were either the European or Japanese versions on out-of-region storefronts, no modifications for new translations, no PAL games fixed for 60Hz)

Worst things about this situation?
Even Nintendo, who had a similar policy, and refused because of it to allow Super Turrican 2's more complete version on the Virtual Console (that's probably lost by now, considering the version on the Analogue FPGA console doesn't even have the sprites they had access to and showed back in 2009). But Nintendo actually listened to developers, and dropped that policy. This is why there's so many unreleased regional versions, and Star Fox 2, and Earthbound, or why Monster World IV is translated to English, and so on...

Sony has showed twice they're willing to bend their rules. It was for the Japanese version of Castlevania SOTN, and only to include a very minor detail from later print runs. The second time was when they wanted Hideo Kojima to further censor the PS1 version of Policenauts, that was already censored compared to the Saturn original (itself a remake of a PC-98 version). When it's about appeasing a butthurt executive at Sony, modifying the game is suddenly okay. But when it's about removing a legal liability (soundtrack, trademarked term, outdated pop song) it's no longer allowed even if the game release should no longer be possible.

*spits*

If they really want to make this worth $99, then

• The number of games isn't nearly enough
  • Not enough true exclusives, games unreleased before, compared to the Super Nintendo Classic which got Star Fox 2. PS1 has the English Popolocrois, the almost finished English version of Bahamut Racing, that Vib Ribbon series on PS1 and PS2... Direct cause why not? See retarded policy above.
  • The controller is the inferior option compared to the DualShock
  • No PocketStation support suggested to be in there. It was removed from all non-Japanese versions, but the content was translated in most cases. To this date Sony only put an official emulator for it as an obscure feature in the Vita PSN emulator, and only on Japanese consoles.
  • NES Classic and SNES Classic had some form of "achievements"... but going from Sony's experience with PS4 PSN when achievements were offered as an "option" but developers were actually expected to program then in to be considered eligible for release which then depleted third party support to zero... they will mess it up
A pass it is, then.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
No need to sign up, just insert the disc of the game you own on your Xbox One console and play it.

But what if I do not own the disc?

See, that is the problem when saying that you can play 500+ titles for free. Just needed to be worded better, and where was this post when Nintendo released their mini's? PR is silly sometimes, especially when people are buying this to play PlayStation games, and Nintendo for Nintendo games.

I like what MS is doing with their BC, but it was worded funny.

Elios83

Not ambitious enough to pick up my interest honestly.
They basically copied the Nintendo formula with NES and SNES mini and given their sales success it's understandable but the limitations are too big for me.
Only 20 games with no possibility to install more games. They should have provided the option to download the classics already available on the store and store them on an optional microSD card. Maybe there are some publishing issues but they could have been sorted out and in any case there would have been way more than 20 games to play.
No HD rendering option (even with the obvious disclaimer that it might not work perfectly depending on the particular game and you might need to turn it off) is disappointing as well since these games have aged a lot and they're not even supposed to be played on a small screen.
No Dualshock but original controller is just an other way to cut costs against quality.
I'm interested to learn about the rest of the titles but right now I don't think I'll buy this console.
Seems like the mandate behind this product was just to copy what Nintendo did and for me it's uninspiring.

Last edited:

Thiagosc777

But what if I do not own the disc?

See, that is the problem when saying that you can play 500+ titles for free. Just needed to be worded better, and where was this post when Nintendo released their mini's? PR is silly sometimes, especially when people are buying this to play PlayStation games, and Nintendo for Nintendo games.

I like what MS is doing with their BC, but it was worded funny.

It was worded perfectly. The "Free" refers to the ability of playing classic games without having to purchase additional hardware or rebuying the game.

Are you actually trying to say Nintendo were the first to this concept of releasing a miniature consoles with older games on it then? Cos I’m not sure how this is copying.

I mean, I’ve had one of these for almost a decade:

Edit: “Amount of games isn’t mandatory”? What are you on about at all...

You're not sure how this is copying? Then friend I'm not sure we can have a discussion, especially since you brought up the AtGames abomination as some sort of gotcha moment. If you can't see how this is copying the living shit out of what Nintendo did, even when it's in the fucking name of the product, then I can't help you.

I literally mean they don't have to stick with the 20-30 games done by the NES and SNES classics. You brought up the sad piece of shit by AtGames and even that had a comparatively gigantic library. If you're going to do your take on the product, why not provide more value? Put 50+ games on that motherfucker, how many PS classics were released for the PS3 or PSP? The library should have been way bigger with the Nintendo consoles as well, these are all old ass games and they don't have much value outside of collecting.

Last edited:
Hmm, the lack of analogues on the controllers doesn't bode well for hacking later games into it because even if you pry the software open to add more ISOs the input will be an issue. As has been stated the PS3 emulates PS1 much better thanks to its spanky filter an if you want to go all extra micro then the PSTV when modded is a far better choice.

Still would've bought one straight away had they made a mini PSOne instead as that would've looked too dope to resist.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It was worded perfectly. The "Free" refers to the ability of playing classic games without having to purchase additional hardware or rebuying the game.

But what if people do not own an Xbox or PS? And they just want this for the novelty. Just like NES/SNES classics. There is a million ways to get those games, but they are a neat novelty to have. I bought them both for the shelf look, never play them, since there are tons of other ways to do so. Hell, even my Android TV has RetroArch and Bluetooth controller built in where the DS4 works flawless.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
This is why we don't get ps1 games on PS4?

Nintendo fans let Nintendo get away with this, but I don't see Sony fans supporting this in huge numbers.

CJY

Banned
You're not sure how this is copying? Then friend I'm not sure we can have a discussion, especially since you brought up the AtGames abomination as some sort of gotcha moment. If you can't see how this is copying the living shit out of what Nintendo did, even when it's in the fucking name of the product, then I can't help you.

I literally mean they don't have to stick with the 20-30 games done by the NES and SNES classics. You brought up the sad piece of shit by AtGames and even that had a comparatively gigantic library. If you're going to do your take on the product, why not provide more value? Put 50+ games on that motherfucker, how many PS classics were released for the PS3 or PSP? The library should have been way bigger with the Nintendo consoles as well, these are all old ass games and they don't have much value outside of collecting.
I dunno man, I think you’re getting overly emotional about this. All I’m saying is that Nintendo didn’t create the concept, not by a long shot. They may have been the first to do it successfully, but that is more on account of their very solid game library, recognisable franchises, and quality execution. None of these factors are easily copied.

You’re dismissing atgame’s product based on its quality, but quality is something that can’t be copied from one competitor to another.

The only factor that comes into play in your accusation of copying is the number of games. This is called “being competitive”. Sony are doing significantly better here considering PS1 games are maybe 1000x larger in size. Maybe Sony did copy this number, but it’s hardly the “biggest case of copycat this industry has ever seen” like you’re making out. Not by a long, Long shot.

Edit: I have another gotcha for ya: you do realise old-gen PS games on PSN were called “classics” right?
psone_classics_vita_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpg

Last edited:

Nintendo fans let Nintendo get away with this, but I don't see Sony fans supporting this in huge numbers.
We're not getting PS1 games on PS4 because the casual majority doesn't want that.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

There is still a chance of it coming in the future, like Nintendo is doing with the Switch.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I'm already seeing the backlash articles pop up.
Gamers want BC on PS4, just give it them
The cost of each game digitally if they don't own it goes way over the asking price for 20 titles
Sony knew this would happen right?

I dunno man, I think you’re getting overly emotional about this. All I’m saying is that Nintendo didn’t create the concept, not by a long shot. They may have been the first to do it successfully, but that is more on account of their very solid game library, recognisable franchises, and quality execution. None of these factors are easily copied.

You’re dismissing atgame’s product based on its quality, but quality is something that can’t be copied from one competitor to another.

The only factor that comes into play in your accusation of copying is the number of games. This is called “being competitive”. Sony are doing significantly better here considering PS1 games are maybe 1000x larger in size. Maybe Sony did copy this number, but it’s hardly the “biggest case of copycat this industry has ever seen” like you’re making out. Not by a long, Long shot.

I never claimed that Nintendo created the "mini console" concept, but this effort by Sony feels definitely way closer to what Nintendo did than to what AtGames did. I'm not emotional, but to me your whole argument is disingenuous. Sony are doing this because it sold well for Nintendo. They're copying the size thing, the amount of games included and more importantly it feels like a direct answer to what Nintendo did. Nobody gives a fuck about AtGames for a reason, it's a shit product that deserves to be forgotten. More importantly to this discussion, it's irrelevant here. Sony is copying the formula that worked for Nintendo, claiming that well "Nintendo didn't invent it" is bullshit. It doesn't matter. The "mini console" sold well for Nintendo and generated some solid buzz, Sony is jumping on the bandwagon. But they're bringing absolutely 0 new things to the conversation, it doesn't have a new spin on the concept to differentiate it. Just the library. They could have played it less safe and perhaps done this less formulaically, but it is what it is.

Alas, they're copying what Nintendo did. I was a bit hyperbolic on my first comment, but it's still pretty egregious.

Humdinger

No thanks. $100 for 20 old games, and they don't even throw in an AC adaptor. Come on. This might appeal to people who want to replay these old games, but I'm too busy with the new ones. I thought BC would appeal to me and bought an X, but that was a disappointment, even at 16x native rez boost. I'm just not all that interested in playing games from 20 years ago.

BANGS

Banned
If you can load more games onto it like the SNES mini, I'd buy this in a heartbeat. Way too many greats PS1 classics I'd like to play. But if not then it just seems like a goofy novelty and not really worth it...

Top Bottom