• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony announces PS4 Pro, $399, November 10th

If this truly doesn't have 4K UHD Blu-ray support, I may just go Xbox One S. All I really want out of my console is 4K media and Madden. My PC can handle the rest.

I never thought in a million years that I'd be contemplating getting an Xbox One S instead after this conference.

Audioboxer

Amazing price, and the name is good.

PS4K = Suggests you NEED a 4K TV
PS4 Neo = Nintendo like random name that people say WTF is a Neo to?
PS4 Pro = Boring and safe, but simple marketing 101 to suggest Pro is more expensive and better.

Design is okay, it's just a spin off from the Slim.

Overreactions on GAF? Priceless.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
q45IgW0.png

https://twitter.com/StuffTV/status/773609999381790720

No 4K BD support

Well that is fucking stupid.

I still feel like it would have been a better idea to be more conservative here. They've sold 40m ps4s. They are hand over fist "winning" right now.

Releasing a new system sort of soft reboots the generation that gives MS a new avenue to start over.

Think a lot of those 40m ps4 owners they have sold to will would rather spend the money on Scorpio rather than rebuying a ps4 for whatever upgrades it has.

Feel like Sony should have operated like Nintendo in regards to Sega. Let your competition burn themselves out; focus on the games, not the box. If they want to release a new 32x, CD ad ons or whatever, let them.

Robot Pants

If this thing doesn't come with a UHD blu ray player then I'm 100% out. This is a console designed for 4K tvs and HDR they are gonna leave that out? How fucking dumb are they?!
Well at least they are gonna save me a purchase and honestly, plenty of people are gonna feel the same way

No 4K BD would be baffling, does Sony not give a single shit about that anymore or what?

Not that I'm interested in Pro or 4K right now, but even the 300$ One S has it.

Joey Ravn

Banned
There was no mention of framerates at all during the conference, right? That's the only feature that would ever make me consider "upgrading" to a PS4 Pro.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
This

I'm confused with a 1080p TV I'm not planning to update would I get better graphics

Yes, basically, but in what way will vary from game to game.

Some games will just downsample a higher res buffer for you - so a cleaner image.

Some games will add extra effects, better textures, or whatever, at 1080p and/or at the higher resolution for 4K.

BONKERS

So what is actually take place?

If we have a 4K TV, and a regular PS4, the TV is upscaling the image to 4K - so what would the PS4 Pro offer in terms of improving the picture?

The system renders at higher resolution. But not anywhere near 3840x2160.
So you get probably around same performance with HDR and slightly better upscaling instead. Since no TV manufacturer can be bothered to implement a simple line doubling mode for 1080p to 4k scaling.

PS4Pro, will not hit 4k with current graphics without fandangling under the hood and tricks like temporal upscaling.

kaskade

How could they not have 4k blu-ray? That seems absurd. If that's true I'm not buying, I'd rather buy an xbox one s. At least I can get RDR backwards compatibility there.

Moodz

Yeah I'm gonna need some other source than Stuff to believe it...
It can't be possible.

This suspense is killing me...

On the other hand it will be a good reason to buy that gorgeous X One S.

Not really much to shout about, HDR and 4k isn't really something you can show well in a conference.

Also the games shown were older games designed with PS4 in mind, only getting a patch to the Pro, newer games might make better use of the newer system though, so I won't judge the Pro too much yet, because the conference did a really bad job of showing off the system.

They need to show clear improvements to games, like framerates and side by side Graphical comparisons to properly show the difference. I will wait for more info, something which Sony really should have given here though.

EekTheKat

The impression I got from this announcement is they REALLY wanted to stick to the $399.00 price - which is honestly a pretty smart play considering the history of consoles priced above that.

A mid generation $499.00 consoles would have an even bigger hill to climb, especially since it's effectively a mid generation band aid to reach the finish line.

The messaging about not using brute force rendering for 4k, different anti aliasing used, etc.etc. sort of implies that they made compromises to get there while maintaining $399

Realistically it's a fairly decent bump - but the worrying part of sorts is there seems to be only a handful of titles (7-11 games) that supports a Pro mode.

I'm still playing the wait and see game on a proper 4k set - though I might jump into the ZD9 if the timing is right. I'm not feeling any sort of pressure to jump into this immediately, as the games I'm interested on PS4 Pro won't arrive until 2017 from the sounds of it.

omg Digital Foundry will have to hire 20 new People just for Comparisons.

Title xxx : Vanilla PS4 \ PS4 Pro @ 4k Screen\ PS4 Pro @ HDTV Screen\ Xbox One\ Xbox One S\ PC @ low\med\high

lol

Pro-tip: How to make RedRedSuit want to buy it:

1. Pick a very good-looking 30fps game (e.g., Uncharted 4).
2. Show it running at 60fps and otherwise unchanged on PS4 Pro.

Anything else... any talk of 4K... etc... pointless for me.

catmincer

The Xbox One S is really nice so if you really want an uhd Blu-ray player it's a damn good choice.

I want a ps4 too but this isn't that amazing so I'll just go for an og model for cheap now.

Wow... They left out the one feature that would have made the PS4 Pro a viable purchase for me...

Guess I'll just have to buy an Xbox One S instead. Damn it.

Man... I expected Sony to have a conference on-par with their E3 show and was hugely disappointed. Some awesome low points:

- They pushed HDR support the the Pro, only before revealing that it's coming to OG PS4 via firmware update
- They didn't even attempt to show how the games looked on OG PS4 vs Pro, which led to me just watching trailers for games I can play without the Pro.
- No hard numbers for the types of improvements we can see with a game on the Pro vs OG PS4
- No 4K blu-ray support.

Everyone has their own opinions, and mine is that Sony did a shit job at justifying the Pro.

Frostburn

They didn't mention 4K Blu-ray playback at the live event did they? If not I'm inclined to think it doesn't have it or they would have made a mention. Sucks too because with the $399 price they would sell them at 4K Blu-ray players alone to some.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
Feels good to be a OG PS4 owner, with no interest in acquiring a 4K TV in the near future.

Top Bottom