• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony announces PS4 Pro, $399, November 10th

Well, without UHD blu-ray support in Neo I'm not going to bother upgrading my TV, plus I'm going to stop buying UHD discs. Absolute waste of time. You're fucking drunk Sony.

q45IgW0.png

https://twitter.com/StuffTV/status/773609999381790720

No 4K BD support
Does this even matter? Who buys physical movies in 2016? I don't know a single person who does

Tagyhag

Pro-tip: How to make RedRedSuit want to buy it:

1. Pick a very good-looking 30fps game (e.g., Uncharted 4).
2. Show it running at 60fps and otherwise unchanged on PS4 Pro.

Anything else... any talk of 4K... etc... pointless for me.

I'm honestly shocked that Uncharted wasn't shown at 60fps, I really thought that was going to be their big "And look at the older titles!" thing.

It's more insulting considering that the games aren't even going to be native 4K. Temporal 4K is still great and not as much as a performance hog, but already people don't understand the difference, even here in GAF.

DieH@rd

Banned
400€ price is a great one, especially with 1TB HDD.

This is a no brainer price for those who want a better gameplay/visual experience.

labx

Banned
I just bought a FULL HD TV. Will I benefit with the Pro, or just keep playing in my ps4?

EDIT: or I have to buy a HDR TV / 4K TV?

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Sorry I just can't get over how ugly that model is. They basically just stacked on a layer from the slim. It's incredibly lazy. This whole this reeks.

At $399 and a year's head start, it's going to do very well against Scorpio. And (outside Japan) NX is pretty much dead even before it's been officially unveiled. Not that that should be any surprise to anyone.

Missed opportunity to have the Slim at $299. At $249 they would have completely cornered the low-end market. Seems like they are pretty much send it out to die, taking launch PS4s with it.

zero86r

Well I went into this with no expectations, I'm gonna need to see this on a 4k tv to be convinced. Not a fan of the Pro name, looks a bit weird but who cares.

What?!? this tweet is real ! omg Sony what have you done !

Seriously I don't know what they were thinking not making PS4 Pro (even the name is... well) UHD Blu-Ray compatible. I want to see the notes of the discussions when they decided this. Sure it's a typo.

Really it seems to me the most obvious thing to do when making a console that renders games in 4K with HDR and everything... People will NEED 4K/HDR TVs to have the best experience with their PS4 Pro !!!

Crazy Kaz o_O

Yes, basically, but in what way will vary from game to game.

Some games will just downsample a higher res buffer for you - so a cleaner image.

Some games will add extra effects, better textures, or whatever, at 1080p and/or at the higher resolution for 4K.

Hmm, tbh I think I'd rather just have the better everything else at 1080p than 4k at like standard ps4 settings.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I get that it's a silly omission, but damn, how many people even care about the 4KBD feature? Physical media isn't what it used to be.

I think this thing hits a perfect pricepoint for what it is, an upgraded PS4.

pixelation

So Bend dude on stream said that 1080p on PS4 Pro looks amazing... i'll get the PS4 Pro and just keep my 1080p display then!!!

Sanpei

Not surprising, tbh. Personally I'd prefer to stream 4k content and have the price at £349 than have the drive make the console cost x amount extra.

To be honest I thing this gen is the last with a media drive. Everything will be download next gen.

Ok this guy can stream 4K content, so no need for 4K BD support...

The_Lump

Banned
You mean lower resolution doesn't just randomly crop massive parts of an image?

>.<

Yes, Apple certainly did invent adding "Pro" to a product name do denote increased power.

Who said they did? But as the biggest consumer electronics company in the world that regularly use that suffix, I think they got mindshare on it. Misstep by Sony imo; it just immediately makes you think Apple.

Second misstep is no 4k BD support. I mean what the fudge are they doing?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Arent UHD movies a lot bigger in size? I'm guessing people with internet caps or slow internet speed would rather have a physical player.

Also beyond quality (which is better on disc) there are tons of 4k movies on disc not available on streaming services.

Top Bottom