• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony announces PS4 Pro, $399, November 10th

KAL2006

Banned
That was so confusing....

are they saying playing pro games works like this:

1080p tv - increased visual effects and improved graphics, etc.

4k tv - No increased visual effects but runs at 4k HDR.

or

1080p tv - increased visual effects and improved graphics, etc.

4k tv - increased visual effects and improved graphics, etc. also runs at 4k HDR.

This

I'm confused with a 1080p TV I'm not planning to update would I get better graphics

Moodz

Man this silence about UHD player is confusing...
I can't believe they didn't put one in. They can't be that stupid.

Can they?

BumRush

q45IgW0.png

https://twitter.com/StuffTV/status/773609999381790720

No 4K BD support

If true, no buy for me. :(

EmSeta

I need more details about enhancements for 1080p mode, and if they switched to a SATA3 bus. I'd MUCH rather have higher framerates and more details than just 4K support - even if I had a 4K tv. HDR sounds nice though, but I'm not gonna upgrade my tv just yet.

Purchasing day 1! Well, will preorder as soon as its available. Ill check now to see if Amazon has it available.

I need Horizon at 1080 60fps.

Falchion

So $400? That's not bad, I'm just not sold that it's worth upgrading over my current PS4 though. If I was a new PS buyer, the pro route would be an easy decision though.

Yeap, trading in the old for the new as soon as possible for max gamestop creds.

A little annoyed i'll have to hold off on some titles until Nov but oh well.

Mathieran

Banned
I think I'm gonna get it. If I trade in my ps4 for about 150 then I should only have to pay about 250. Would like to hear more about the benefits for 1080p owners though. Don't plan on upgrading anytime soon. An improved frame rate and downsampling would be good enough for me.

Bioshocker

I'm very underwhelmed with what Sony showed tonight. A lot of great games coming, but they really didn't sell me on either the PS4 Slim or Pro. At all. At least Xbox One S was a big improvement in size.

I may have missed stuff here because I did other stuff while listening, but Sony said nothing about an improved DualShock 4? Really?

No, I'll stick with my standard white PS4. And hope for Scorpio.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
So I'm supposed to believe that 2x power can quadruple the fidelity?

They were pretty explicit about native ('brute force') rendering being a marginal option. That software techniques and 'other custom hardware' are being leveraged here to construct 4K buffers from other intermediates. So higher res e.g. 1800p+ and/or checker-board techniques etc etc.

The pitch is that all this is 'good enough' to deliver something impressively better on a 4K TV than a standard PS4 could provide.

Certainly given the price difference, if you want a better looking PS4 for your 4KTV, it's a no-brainer.

MADGAME

Thread moving fast, posting my question again.

Please answer this for me, GAF. I heard Cerny in say PS4 pro will deliver 4k and HDR on those sets, and the PS4 Pro will add additional effects, lighting, environmental density, etc on 1080p sets.

My question - Do you also get the additional effects allowed on the 1080p sets on the 4K sets? Or on the 4K sets is it one or the other?

orioto

Good Art™
No UHD bluray ? WTF that doesn't make any sense.. It should be the reason they do that in first place..

Jarmel

Banned
This was really underwhelming and the lack of specs indicates that Sony knows too.

How much better are the framerates or graphics? This press conference did nothing to sell me on the device.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
So what is actually take place?

If we have a 4K TV, and a regular PS4, the TV is upscaling the image to 4K - so what would the PS4 Pro offer in terms of improving the picture?

Preetty much fancy interlacing which will proabbly make it look like 4k most of the time but not quite the real deal.

Yeah. Think I'll stick with my regular PS4 for a while. No one's mentioned a trade in program yet right? I'd probably be willing if I could get it for like $100 with a trade in.

BFIB

This felt kind of rushed? Sloppy design on the console too. If I am going to see improvements on 1080P I'm in, but it went from day one, to maybe holding out for Scorpio and an inevitable price drop.

cakely

$400 and November? Cheaper than I thought but, yep, I was absolutely certain it would launch this year. (phew)

There's a ton of crow to be eaten on GAF, some people should just dig right in.

I'm not impressed, if you don't have a 4k TV (a majority of consumers) there really isn't much of a reason to get this thing (let alone upgrade if you already have one), I was expecting there would be some kind of new feature (HD support, backwards compatability, IDK SOMETHING!) but its all just graphic quality and with the money to buy a 4K TV and a PS4 Pro you could buy a 4k Monitor and a gaming PC and get better graphics out of that then what 4K can really do.

I didn't expect any big game reveals (not this close to TGS or PSX) but they could have had better games to show off besides freaking Shadow of Mordor of all things.

N30RYU

Gold Member
How can they give us a price... a release date... but not any spec at all other than the 1Tb HDD???

Top Bottom