• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony announces PS4 Pro, $399, November 10th

Tagyhag

So during the conference they mentioned that 1080p and 4K outputs will have different settings for the Pro.

I really hope most of those 1080p settings allow for 60fps.

I want one, but now I'll probably just wait to see what more devs decide to do, especially since the 4K isn't native 4K.

since it's completely up to the devs what they use the additional power for there should be no problem for devs to use it for higher FPS.

Since it's up to the devs, I expect most games to barely take advantage of the extra power on a 1080p tv at all tbh. And the ones who are (mostly the huge games where I could see Sony paying them to take more advantage of it) are the type that are unlikely to prioritize frame rate anyways

MADGAME

No UHD player is a massive disappointment for me.

Please answer this for me, GAF. I heard Cerny say PS4 pro will deliver 4k and HDR on those sets, and the PS4 Pro will add additional effects, lighting, environmental density, etc on 1080p sets.

My question - Do you also get the additional effects allowed on the 1080p sets on the 4K sets? Or on the 4K sets is it one or the other?

I appreciate the info, but please don't answer if you're guessing :)

Danlord

Looks like Sony has a new camera coming;

Taken from Hollie's Twitter: https://twitter.com/HollieB/status/773609740534415360
Crxp9GHXgAEDiY9.jpg:orig

BONKERS

HDR blah blah HDR blah blah.
As if an expanded color gamut and wider range of brightness is going to solve underlying issues with display technology and improve image quality like they claim.
Unlike actually improving IQ with higher quality AA, improved texture filtering, draw distances and higher precision buffers.

ME:A all that extra power, and still using shitty HDAO. CoD, low res shadows, but maybe they will actually hit 60FPS in campaign for once!

PS4 Pro looks like 3 slabs of Dollar Tree floor tiles glued together. And why add that stupid lightbar on the front of the controller? Just another thing I have to put tape over.

Also notice how when showing off games they never once mention that games are running at 4k. They only say "it's running at much higher resolution"
As if anyone could actually expect them to hit native 4k easily with just a small GPU upgrade and CPU clock boost.

PS4 Pro has much more interesting potential for 1080p TVs, because IQ and performance should be massively improved.
I hope i'm not disappointed in FFXV's Pro upgrade at 1080p. 1080p minimum, solid 30FPS, increased draw distances, higher quality shadows, higher res rendering with better AA, 16xAF. PLS Squeenix, don't disappoint
PLS Square Enix

whiteape

PlayStationDE says every game will get a better framerate with PS4 Pro:

Wer kein 4K hat kann sich trotzdem über stabile Framerates bei 1080p für ALLE #PS4 Games freuen! #PS4Pro #PlayStationMeeting

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
I won't be upgrading my TV any time soon so I don't really feel a need to replace my current PS4. UK price is better than expected though. Hopefully Digital Foundry will do some thorough comparisons between PS4 Poor and PS4 Pro versions of games because it was hard to tell the difference from that conference footage.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Good price at $399 (probably $499 CAD), but I didn't really think they gave me a good reason to upgrade, especially considering I don't have a 4K TV and probably won't have one anytime soon. I might just upgrade my computer over this.

Was waiting till this conference to decide whether to get a Neo or upgrade my CPU and GPU to an i5-6500 and GTX 1060 from an i3-2100 and GTX 960.

I was unimpressed with the Pro, so I'll be putting that money into the computer.

jett

D-Member
Rigby wasn't right at all, fools. He insisted on the regular PS4 playing Ultra HD Blu-ray discs. That's something else. That wasn't even mentioned for the PS4 Pro, was it?

Kraq

They needed to show footage of PS4 graphics against the PS4 Pro. I noted some better lighting but I'm putting that down to HDR, which means nothing if you don't have a 4K HDR ready TV. Otherwise, I couldn't tell the graphical difference.

Suspicious lack of mentioning 60fps either, which is never a good sign.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Good price at $399 (probably $499 CAD), but I didn't really think they gave me a good reason to upgrade, especially considering I don't have a 4K TV and probably won't have one anytime soon. I might just upgrade my computer over this.

Yeah, they didn't do enough to show off the benefits to standard HDTV users.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Well, at least it's pretty cheap. Doesn't really entice me to go out and get one. It's pretty ugly.

Will only be interested if devs continually support higher framerates.

Hawk269

they didn't mention UHD discs, did they?

Came into the thread to mention this. It is very odd that there was no mention of a UHD drive, just streaming 4k content. MS was also not as forward, but they did say it did UHD disks, they just were not talking about it a lot. I am sure the Pro has to have it, but very odd with all the talk of 4k and HDR and the benefits that they don't say at all that it has or does not have a UHD drive.

Pineapple

Also it's not true 4k so don't go thinking you'll get true 4k gaming for $400 on your newly bought 4k tv.

So what is actually take place?

If we have a 4K TV, and a regular PS4, the TV is upscaling the image to 4K - so what would the PS4 Pro offer in terms of improving the picture?

H4r4kiri

SO if my normal Display can't show the colors of an HDR picture, how can I see the difference in the Example pictures ? :D

Btw. Does really Premium HDR not require HDMI 2.0 ? The normal one does not have it.

Sanjuro

These frauds didn't even tell us how much better No Man's Sky would perform on it. It's like they were hiding something.

GodofWine

The price point saved the show, but I'm confused about consoles for the first time ever, and never have I been so interested in PC gaming

UberTag

"Only $499 CAD? But the current exchange rate values $399 US at $514.68. And because Canadians are suckers who deserve to be fleeced and their colorful money will undoubtedly drop in value over the next year, let's price it at $549 instead. Plus 13% tax. So make it an even $620. Sound better? Now, go buy some $55 digital Vita games, you suckers."

This is how I believe Sony Canada thinks of us right now.

Sanpei

What about multiplayer ?

PS4 and PS4 Pro players can play together

But what if a game on ps4 is 30fps ? Then i assume ps4 pro version will be 30fps then...
Right ?

Design looks lazy as fuck. Damn Sony. I'm buying one at some point but it won't be at release. Hit me with the pro/VR combo around xmas please.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I guess I'm not seeing the point for people without 4K TVs.

Top Bottom