• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony announces PS4 Pro, $399, November 10th

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
At least the PS4 Pro still has the optical audio port ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Crx0BuMWIAETr4X.jpg:large

hmmm what if scorpio releases at 399?

I doubt it, Scorpio seems to be way more than a mid gen upgrade (6TF vs 4.2TF which just got confirmed for Pro), it's coming late next year and the CPU is probably getting upgraded more so than here (It's still just Jaguar cores at a higher clock speed on the PS4 Pro) I think the Memory bandwidth is also over 300gbs on the Scorpio as well.

I can see $499.99 for Scorpio, anything higher might be too much but I don't think they can match the Pro in price.

Huge mistake coming out this year. Should've just delayed it to 2017 and made it better.

So glad I built a PC instead of waiting for this.

BONKERS

All of this just feels like they're desperately trying to push people to buy their TVs and somehow save their TV business if anything..

This has been clear from the outset.

The TV industry has been pushing 4k and HDR gimmicks in order to reinvigorate sales.
They've all but snuffed out 1080p TVs together of any decent quality.

In an era where we are still struggling for real HQ 1080p rendering and streaming content.
Consoles have been sub 1080p for over a decade and streaming content and HD Cable are barely better than DVD quality because of compression.

DavidDesu

This is just bizarre. Make a console.mostly.aimed at making the most of 4K tv's and don't include A 4k bluray capable drive in the thing, the place where you'll get the highest quality 4K content. That is legitimately mental. I mean, I'm guessing the drive would cost maybe $5-10 more. Might be wrong. Main thing is if the XB1S can include one then Sony have no excuse. It's literally nonsensical and quite maddening. I'm just glad I won't have a 4K tv anytime soon... I still want the Pro, and I know it will benefit PSVR and just generally give better image quality in my games... But that ommission seems seriously short sighted..

labaronx

Sony hit their stride early this gen and have started to coast, very underwhelmed by this Pro offering, unsure what such a small upgrade will achieve in the long term (even short term)

Its simple offer a beefed up ps4 for 4k owners while they work on the ps5

I honestly don't know what some of u were expecting

Femto.

What a random shot at an 11 year old console.

Hey, it was under-powered, released a year earlier, and was super successful.

We can't say that everything is set in stone yet with the Pro and Scorpio. Anything can happen.

Raylan

Banned
So it's just like the leaks

911Mhz Polaris, 36 CUs, 2304 SPs 4.19TFLOP
2.1GHz Jaguar
218GB/s GDDR5

I fail to understand the logic behind this console. At all.

I'm gonna explain it to you:

Pay $100 more and you will get:
- better performance
- better graphics/etc.

You don't want it? Don't buy it.

Clear?

Greatest games?, that is rich... do they still have a tongue?, i can see the blood on the floor. Also we all know that when the PS4 and XBO sell at the same cost the PS4 always sells better so the fact that the XBO S will get 4K BR playback will not change that, Sony will stay winning once the PS4 Slim arrives on stores. MS better savor this two months they will get on top (sales wise in the U.S.) with that miniscule sales difference while the PS4 Slim arrives and takes back the pole position.
jesus christ lol

joeblow

On the stream after the reveal, a Sony 1st party developer emphasized that one improvement that games will not offer is increasing the frame rate (i.e. from 30 to 60) in online multiplayer modes to keep the competition fair. He said single player modes don't have that restriction.

Mikey Jr.

90% of your userbase has 1080p tv's.

Fucking convince me that Pro will be amazing on 1080p.

But they didn't....

I was waiting for "Uncharted 4 will run at 60fps on the pro"
"Horizon will have way more foliage, better anti aliasing,etc."

But nope. It looks better in 4k! Whoop de fucking doo.

labaronx

This is just bizarre. Make a console.mostly.aimed at making the most of 4K tv's and don't include A 4k bluray capable drive in the thing, the place where you'll get the highest quality 4K content. That is legitimately mental. I mean, I'm guessing the drive would cost maybe $5-10 more. Might be wrong. Main thing is if the XB1S can include one then Sony have no excuse. It's literally nonsensical and quite maddening. I'm just glad I won't have a 4K tv anytime soon... I still want the Pro, and I know it will benefit PSVR and just generally give better image quality in my games... But that ommission seems seriously short sighted..

Not when u take into account sony has a 4k streaming service and very little competition in that field so far

Theorry

So it's just like the leaks

911Mhz Polaris, 36 CUs, 2304 SPs 4.19TFLOP
2.1GHz Jaguar
218GB/s GDDR5

I fail to understand the logic behind this console. At all.

PSVR is the logic behind the console. Normal PS4 isnt really gonna cut it very long.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Greatest games?, that is rich... do they still have a tongue?, i can see the blood on the floor. Also we all know that when the PS4 and XBO sell at the same cost the PS4 always sells better so the fact that the XBO S will get 4K BR playback will not change that, Sony will stay winning once the PS4 Slim arrives on stores. MS better savor this two months they will get on top (sales wise in the U.S.) with that miniscule sales difference while the PS4 Slim arrives and takes back the pole position.
LOL

cakely

Well, I'm personally impressed that they kept the PS4 pro under wraps for so long, and that they were able to announce a relatively short 60 days before it shipped.

I was starting to have some doubts when the PS4 slim appeared in the wild.

Raven77

Was this presentation actually supposed to get people interested in buying it? I've been reading as much as I can find and from what I can tell it will be higher resolutions and a few extra bells and whistles. Where were the games actually RUNNING on this thing? How about showing Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War, idk, something besides a Mass Effect tech demo that didn't even look very impressive.

Pretty big disappointment for me. I'll still buy it, because I buy every new console, but my hype level dropped substantially.

That's brutal and hilarious. Seems like Microsoft is going to have the better low and high end offering.

All this 4K player talk and there is not one available physical 4k movie to buy right now, unless they have finalized the disc and I didn't hear about it.

That being said, I am not sure who thought it was a good idea to release an updated pro console that can stream and play 4k but does not have a 4k physical player.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.

So many flavors and you chose to be salty. Damn shame :(

90% of your userbase has 1080p tv's.

Fucking convince me that Pro will be amazing on 1080p.

But they didn't....

I was waiting for "Uncharted 4 will run at 60fps on the pro"
"Horizon will have way more foliage, better anti aliasing,etc."

But nope. It looks better in 4k! Whoop de fucking doo.

They explicitly said that Horizon would have more foliage in 1080p on the Pro.

Was this presentation actually supposed to get people interested in buying it? I've been reading as much as I can find and from what I can tell it will be higher resolutions and a few extra bells and whistles. Where were the games actually RUNNING on this thing? How about showing Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War, idk, something besides a Mass Effect tech demo that didn't even look very impressive.

Pretty big disappointment for me. I'll still buy it, because I buy every new console, but my hype level dropped substantially.

Horizon and Spiderman were running on it.

Top Bottom