• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony announces PS4 Pro, $399, November 10th

Femto.

Crxx0qLXgAQRUgE.jpg:large

RG0BS1U.gif

Bizzquik

Wait, what...? Microsoft's S console does 4K Blu-Ray but Sony's new Pro does not?

Today is crazy. Anyone remember how Microsoft fiercely fought the original Blu-Ray and tried to counter with that HD-DVD crap - basically because Sony was pushing Blu-Ray?
We're 10 years later and now its Sony trying to tell us that 4K Blu-Ray isn't really that important.
Disappointed by this attitude from Sony; not even trying to future-proof the Pro. I've been buying Sony televisions for two decades now - almost exclusively. I was hoping the Pro would let me keep everything in the Sony family.

pixelation

Greatest games?, that is rich... do they still have a tongue?, i can see the blood on the floor. Also we all know that when the PS4 and XBO sell at the same cost the PS4 always sells better so the fact that the XBO S will get 4K BR playback will not change that, Sony will stay winning once the PS4 Slim arrives on stores. MS better savor this two months they will get on top (sales wise in the U.S.) with that miniscule sales difference while the PS4 Slim arrives and takes back the pole position.

labx

Banned
guys I'm lost with this PRO thing. Why I should pay 100 buck more for a console that may or not work on a FULL HD TV?

What do you say? I'm not a "highly discriminating gamer" should I bought the Slim or the PRO...

cakely

Oh man... I can easily see Microsoft besting Sony this holiday season in sales. (EDIT: In US)

Wait, what? Because of the Xbox One S? It's already been released. It's selling decently but certainly not enough to make up for two new models of PlayStation 4, there' s just no way.

Pineapple

So, since the Pro isn't offering native 4K gaming, what's the difference between the Pro and regular PS4 when it comes to 4K content?

If you have a 4K TV, it's going to upscale the image anyway, even on a regular PS4 - so what is the Pro really offering in terms of 4K?

Basically it's $399 for temporal 4K

That's basically it...

HDR to current models and no UHD BR for any model

I can't believe Sony fucked this up this badly

Fucked up? They're trying to do frequent (yearly?) revisions and they're trying to keep the price reasonable. Remember, they're going after EVERYONE, not just GAF posters.

For what you want, you might as well build a PC.

On a different note, my PC doesn't even have an optical drive, so I don't care about the lack of 4k BR. Don't know if I'll upgrade, though. I sold my PS4 two days ago because I literally haven't used it in months and my PC is way more powerful than any console that is coming out.

Deadstar

The biggest problem with this presentation is that we're leaving with more questions than answers.

• Are games being rendered at 4K or simply upscaled?
  • What are the console specs beside 1Tb HDD?
  • If I have a 1080p display, the enhancements will be automatic or they need to be patched?
  • What kind of enhancements 1080p TVs can get? Supersampling? Better graphics? More fps?
  • Dos it have a fucking 4K BD player??

They aren't announcing the specs so that Microsoft can't beat them.

Gunztrix

I think most people are overstating the selling power of Blu-ray players and consoles. These arent the days of the PS2 where everyone who didn't play a PS2 got it for movies. Today most media is ingested via streaming. Less people are likely to purchase a physical DVD over a streaming service.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
They answered everything but specs but it's pretty clear the leaked presentation is still accurate.

Ok, but not everyone that was watching knew the leaked specs.

And some points got answered by omission (like the 4K BD support).

The thing is. I really can't see why the PS4 Pro was created. If the added power will only be used to upscale the images, their upscale algorithm better be fucking amazing.

MaDKaT

This just kills me. Im shocked. I guess Ill lay out my story. Ditched my OG PS4 on the heavily rumored PS4. Still held on to my PSVR preorder since I do feel VR is the real deal. But Seriously, Mid gen hardware update felt like such a dick move. Bought a Vive. VR is seriously awesome so I hang onto my preorder and see where the neo lands for VR but honestly with Vive Im not sure I want multiple headsets. Then, my awesome 1080p plasma gives out and I break down and get a new TV. Decide 4K + HDR is the way to go so now, I care about 4K HDR media and figured Neo was a lock as a UHD player. I think awesome. Kills two birds with 1 stone, UHD player and VR. Now, I get the reasoning to focus on gaming but since the PS2, playstation has almost always been my physical media player. PS2 was DVD, PS3 was BR, PS4 was again BR and I was hoping Neo would be UHD BR. Just boggles my mind. Now, I can't believe Im actually contemplating an Xbox S as a UHD player.

I went from being cautiously afraid I would end up having envy over the advantages the PS4 Pro would have over my console to not being worried at all. That's a difference in quality I can live without.

Stick to regular 6 year console cycles next time.

Mandatory 1080P 60 FPS
on games that are coming after November 10?
And maybe some older games will get a patch like bloodborne drive club, uncharted 4?

Not mandatory. Higher or same resolution/framerate as on the Base model. You're not guaranteed better performance.

Uncharted will get a patch probably. Don't expect Driveclub. And definitely not Bloodborne.

Dunlop

Greatest games?, that is rich... do they still have a tongue?, i can see the blood on the floor. Also we all know that when the PS4 and XBO sell at the same cost the PS4 always sells better so the fact that the XBO S will get 4K BR playback will not change that, Sony will stay winning once the PS4 Slim arrives on stores. MS better savor this two months they will get on top (sales wise in the U.S.) with that miniscule sales difference while the PS4 Slim arrives and takes back the pole position.
It's just a PR jab....

I'm a bit disappointed but it's good for the consumers, I guess. It does nothing to the frame rate, right?

Also, buying a nem console+4K TV...kinda expensive.

Courage

cringe hall of fame

playstation vr it is then. Honestly I was expecting a lotmore. I don't have a 4k screen so I couldn't see any difference during the presentation.

MADGAME

From what I understand from the leaked document thread, you get the benefits regardless of your TV. But it's up to the developer if they want to just roll at 4K and downscale to your TV, or provide seperate 1080p and 4K resolutions for Neo mode. For most games I imagine at 1080p you would get whatever effects + perf boost, but if a game shipped with 4K only on Neo mode, then you would get the 4K experience downscaled to 1080p. I'd assume the games shown like Uncharted 4, Mordor, Deus Ex to all give perf boosts at 1080p...?

That it doesn't have a UHD Blu Ray drive only matters for movies. Scorpio, for example, would still need to use 50GB Xbox One discs to preserve games running on both platforms (as the regular Xbox One doesn't support UHD discs). These hardwares aren't trying to ask for way bigger textures anyway, they're trying to push scene detail and overall pixels.

I think it is mostly up to the devs. The Neo(IDK, Neo is a better name) version of games will either run in 4K or run enhanced at 1080p depending on what the Dev want's to focus on. No specific standard.

Hmmm I see. So there could be additional performance in games due to gaming in 1080p as opposed to 4K with the PS4 Pro. No standard, and up to the developer. Got it.

Thanks!

I think most people are overstating the selling power of Blu-ray players and consoles. This isn't the days of the PS2 where everyone who didn't play a PS2 got it for movies. Today most media is ingested via streaming unless people are likely to purchase a physical DVD over a streaming service.

It is a pretty massive own goal, considering a) Sony invented the Blu Ray format, and b) Microsoft's Xbox One S supports 4k Blu Rays, making it one of the cheapest 4kBR players in the market right now.

Arklite

They really did a poor job with the presentation, but double the GPU power is still a big deal if devs take advantage of it. The 'if' part makes it all kind of sketchy though.

styl3s

Apparently their is a benefit for owners of 1080p displays but no specifics have been mentioned yet.

Which doesn't bode well with me to be honest.
Well they did say PSVR games look and run better.

It's obvious that patched games and future games that support PS4 Pro will look and possibly run better. This isn't a Xbox One S where games will get a few fps the GPU is 2x better than the PS4.

JClarke

Banned
Sony hit their stride early this gen and have started to coast, very underwhelmed by this Pro offering, unsure what such a small upgrade will achieve in the long term (even short term)

Top Bottom