• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony announces PS4 Pro, $399, November 10th

qcf x2

The biggest problem with this presentation is that we're leaving with more questions than answers.

• Are games being rendered at 4K or simply upscaled?
  • What are the console specs beside 1Tb HDD?
  • If I have a 1080p display, the enhancements will be automatic or they need to be patched?
  • What kind of enhancements 1080p TVs can get? Supersampling? Better graphics? More fps?
  • Dos it have a fucking 4K BD player??

If it was good they would tell you.

orochi91

https://twitter.com/Rob_Crossley_/status/773616813959745536

T2htWmG.png
Lmao

opoth

Banned
As a happy XB1/Wii U owner who ends up buying all the consoles eventually once I have a reason to, I don't have my reasons quite yet and I really thought this was going to seal it for me once the specs were announced, so I'm kind of bummed about that.

This would basically be a Persona 5/DQ11/UHD machine for me, I'm sure I would play a few other things on it eventually but those are my main motivation. DQ11's localization future is up in the air and now it seems like I won't be able to play 4K BDs either.

I had envisioned picking one up right when P5 was released at which point I'd hope the future of DQ11 would have been set in stone as well.

DoomGaze

Banned
Color me never buying Sony/Microsoft consoles at launch ever again.

This is absolute bullshit. They showcase all these games that have yet to be released, and then put this in front of us.

The generation has been underwhelming, and the huge games for this era have yet to come out. So we might as well have waited and just gotten the souped up consoles.

The Pro is about what I expected. Maybe if I get a 4K/HDR display i'd pick it up. But not at the moment.

I'm honestly more disappointed there's no new controller or Elite Controller.

Disappointed, was planning on getting a Neo for The Last Guardian but will likely skip the Neo now because of the lack of UHD Blu-ray. You can tell by the tone of the presentation that they were faking enthusiasm. The conference was crap compared to the Apple conference which genuinely got my excited about the new iPhone (just upgraded last year so I won't be upgrading again anytime soon though).

I wish the Xbox One S played Uncharted and The Last Guardian (oh also SFV); I would get one in a heartbeat. There I said it, long time Sony enthusiast here.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Basically it's $399 for temporal 4K

That's basically it...

HDR to current models and no UHD BR for any model

I can't believe Sony fucked this up this badly

So, as someone who planned to pick up a PS4, but waited until now to hear about the Pro, is there any real reason to grab the newer model over the Slim if I don't have a 4KTV? I might end up with one eventually (I've been itching to get a bigger TV and the 4Ks are reasonable), but that's still up in the air.

Mandatory 1080P 60 FPS
on games that are coming after November 10?
And maybe some older games will get a patch like bloodborne drive club, uncharted 4?

I don't believe so, but the point is that this is something that should have been said loud and clear.

But who knows, the GG guy said on stream that the console is at least 2x more powerful.....
4k is 4 times the pixel amount compared to 1080p, so...

I'm confused. . . does the end user select whether they want 4k or fancy 1080p?

Will ALL games from launch take advantage of the double power? . . . .like Cod Modern Warfare :O

Please answer this for me, GAF. I heard Cerny in say PS4 pro will deliver 4k and HDR on those sets, and the PS4 Pro will add additional effects, lighting, environmental density, etc on 1080p sets.

My question - Do you also get the additional effects allowed on the 1080p sets on the 4K sets? Or on the 4K sets is it one or the other?

From what I understand from the leaked document thread, you get the benefits regardless of your TV. But it's up to the developer if they want to just roll at 4K and downscale to your TV, or provide seperate 1080p and 4K resolutions for Neo mode. For most games I imagine at 1080p you would get whatever effects + perf boost, but if a game shipped with 4K only on Neo mode, then you would get the 4K experience downscaled to 1080p. I'd assume the games shown like Uncharted 4, Mordor, Deus Ex to all give perf boosts at 1080p...?

That it doesn't have a UHD Blu Ray drive only matters for movies. Scorpio, for example, would still need to use 50GB Xbox One discs to preserve games running on both platforms (as the regular Xbox One doesn't support UHD discs). These hardwares aren't trying to ask for way bigger textures anyway, they're trying to push scene detail and overall pixels.

TalonJH

Please answer this for me, GAF. I heard Cerny in say PS4 pro will deliver 4k and HDR on those sets, and the PS4 Pro will add additional effects, lighting, environmental density, etc on 1080p sets.

My question - Do you also get the additional effects allowed on the 1080p sets on the 4K sets? Or on the 4K sets is it one or the other?

Heyooo!!

I'm confused. . . does the end user select whether they want 4k or fancy 1080p?

Will ALL games from launch take advantage of the double power? . . . .like Cod Modern Warfare :O

I think it is mostly up to the devs. The Neo(IDK, Neo is a better name) version of games will either run in 4K or run enhanced at 1080p depending on what the Dev want's to focus on. No specific standard.

On-Topic: This is probably crazy to say but I feel like if they didn't want to include a 4k Blu-ray drive, they should had took the drive out completely and just went full digital but I understand why they didn't.

iNvid02

most of the people complaining about no 4K bluray player probably don't even have 4K tvs lol

but a lot of people were waiting for this thing so it could double as their single 4k media device before jumping in and buying a 4k tv....

Chamber

love on your sleeve
The biggest problem with this presentation is that we're leaving with more questions than answers.

• Are games being rendered at 4K or simply upscaled?
  • What are the console specs beside 1Tb HDD?
  • If I have a 1080p display, the enhancements will be automatic or they need to be patched?
  • What kind of enhancements 1080p TVs can get? Supersampling? Better graphics? More fps?
  • Dos it have a fucking 4K BD player??

They answered everything but specs but it's pretty clear the leaked presentation is still accurate.

johnny956

Wow. Please tell me people won't defense force this decision?

Crazy, and opens the door to more Xbox One S sales for sure.

I don't think it's going to affect sales that much at all. Many people just don't buy physical blu-rays anymore. Still think it's a terrible decision to not offer it on your premium model

What was the point of that Deus Ex screenshot shown?

That was from a pre-rendered cutscene, which can not feasibly be improved by upgraded hardware.

Top Bottom