• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony confirms Crash Bandicoot rights still with Activision

Papacheeks

Banned
Remember when Phil wore the Battletoads Shirt and we got the new Battle Toad g- waittttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt a minute.

We got Rare replay with a great version of battletoads, couple characters in Killer instinct and there is a battle toads in the works. But more like a arcade title.

NO one of the current re-releases from around present to the later years of last gen has Activision been in any of the PSX Crash Bandicoot games.

What's hilarious is people whoa re still going on about this are basically saying that SOny themselves are liars.

Do you really need it spelled out or are you just trolling? Activision specifically isn't credited, but Universal is - that's enough. No one applicable is in aforementioned credits, it seems, and Sony having publishing rights has absolutely nothing to do with it.
Including nontrivial fragments of one work in another
is considered a creative process and requires allowance of owning party with some minimal exceptions depending on jurisdiction, the aforementioned cameo would not fall under these though. Publishing rights are a completely separate thing, pretty much equivalent to being a store exclusive. Xenoblade is store exclusive physically to GameStop in America, but it doesn't allow GameStop to
include parts of Xenoblade in their games
, even if they are exclusively available in American GameStop.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Remember when Phil wore the Battletoads Shirt and we got the new Battle Toad g- waittttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt a minute.

Yes. And Battletoads content ended up releasing on Xbox One in both Rare Replay and Killer Instinct.

Playsage

Either Activision gave them a go ahead or they are using code from the emulated versions with their cosmetic changes which arguably would qualify the same as the PSone classics where Activisions name doesn't appear at all.

THINK guys WHY WOULD ACTIVISION SELL AWAY FREE MONEY???

Why has that question not popped in anyones head ONE time?
But it is still for commercial use. It can't be that simple to "bypass".

I'm not saying Sony actually bought the IP, but there must be a new agreement. The past events are not matching the present situation.

Counter question: "Why Activision would be interested in this 'free money' produceable from the Crash IP, when they never used the IP themselves/cancelled multiple projects involving it?"

I guess they made those mobile kart games but I don't remember them being popular

Actually I looked at my Crash collection and it did seem like they did milk him:

2000: Crash Bash (PSX)
2001: Wrath of Cortex (Xbox, PS2, GC)
2002: Huge Adventure (GBA)
2003: Crash Nitro Kart (Xbox, PS2, GC, GBA)
2003: N-Tranced (GBA)
2004: TwinSanity (Xbox, PS2)
2004: Crash Purple (GBA)
2005: Crash Tag Team Racing (Xbox, PS2)
2006: Boom Bang (DS)
2007: Crash of the Titans (360, PS2, Wii)
2008: Mind over Mutant (360, PS2, PSP)
2009: Crash Nitro Kart 3D (IOS)
2009: Crash Mutant Island (BB7)
2010: Crash Nitro Kart 2 (IOS)

Do you really need it spelled out or are you just trolling? Activision specifically isn't credited, but Universal is - that's enough. No one applicable is in aforementioned credits, it seems, and Sony having publishing rights has absolutely nothing to do with it.
Including nontrivial fragments of one work in another
is considered a creative process and requires allowance of owning party with some minimal exceptions depending on jurisdiction, the aforementioned cameo would not fall under these though. Publishing rights are a completely separate thing, pretty much equivalent to being a store exclusive. Xenoblade is store exclusive physically to GameStop in America, but it doesn't allow GameStop to include parts of Xenoblade in their games, even if they are exclusively available in American GameStop.

No someone needs to spell it out to you because Universal didin't owin the IP when they started distributing it. When the VITA store went up guess what, Activisions name still isn't there.

If you think have universals name at this point is enough you no zero about how rights works. Zero. Activision is letting them have their exclusive distribution and handling of these games, that'a as simple as it gets. Its also a possibility Activision gave them the greenlight to do it s well, but it seems neither s going through anyones heads and the only solution to them is that a new Crash is coming and Sony likely got the IP back, which is nonsense.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Actually I looked at my Crash collection and it did seem like they did milk him:

15 straight years of Crash Bandicoot games

Thats more than Call of Duty, and thats including Infinite Warfare.

Dragun619

Man, I'll wait till E3.

I feel like they might put up a front or deflect the Crash situation so they can sweeten that E3 reveal, hah.

And I know Sony can't possibly match The Last Guardian, FF7 Remake, and Shenmue III combo drop again, But I think at this point, Crash might be closest that plenty are still asking for and Sony could appease to.

Yes. And Battletoads content ended up releasing on Xbox One in both Rare Replay and Killer Instinct.

Clearly the same thing as a new game right?

But it is still for commercial use. It can't be that simple to "bypass".

I'm not saying Sony actually bought the IP, but there must be a new agreement. The past events are not matching the present situation.

Counter question: "Why Activision would be interested in this 'free money' produceable from the Crash IP, when they never used the IP themselves/cancelled multiple projects involving it?"

I guess they made those mobile kart games but I don't remember them being popular

Activision owned Sierra so they did do a lot with it. Also yes those games were popular.

The "free money" issue doesn't come in until a couple years ago where people for the first time were doing threads like these increasing hype for a new crash game based on no real evidence. At this point after 3 or so years of doing this it's clear there's now a lot of money to be made from it, so why would Activision randomly give the IP to Sony for sale? It makes no sense when Activision can just release it on PC, XO and PS2 and get triple the money for a new game.

Also a reason why Activisions been sitting likely has to do with them having zero studios to work on Crash outside the ones who make the Spider-Man games since the other few studios they have seem to be regulated to COD map packs and online multiplayer.

TedHub

Banned
No someone needs to spell it out to you because Universal didin't owin the IP when they started distributing it. When the VITA store went up guess what, Activisions name still isn't there.

If you think have universals name at this point is enough you no zero about how rights works. Zero. Activision is letting them have their exclusive distribution and handling of these games, that'a as simple as it gets. Its also a possibility Activision gave them the greenlight to do it s well, but it seems neither s going through anyones heads and the only solution to them is that a new Crash is coming and Sony likely got the IP back, which is nonsense.

Your argument is based on the mistaken assumption that anyone is only talking about Crash being on the PSN store. I won't spell it out for you, but if you're curious about what's really convincing people about this, take a peep at the spoiler tags. Just be aware: there's a reason why they're in spoiler tags.

Then explain, for instance, why is it Sony Computer Entertainment and not Sony Interacitve Entertainment credited for PS1 Crash? How is Hudson Soft publisher of PSN Bomberman when they were bought out by Konami? These things do not need to get updated. They need to be "valid at the time of publication".

Euron

Thank you. That pretty much sums it up I guess.

Aside from the quotes above, there's:

-The Shawn Layden Crash Bandicoot Shirt at PSX last year
- EASTER EGG SPOILERS FOR A RECENT GAME:
The Crash Bandicoot PS1 box in Uncharted 4, without any credit to Activision, which would have not happened at all before.
-NECA Toys Director Outright Says Crash is Coming Back
-And the sign from the top of the page

That's all just off the top of my head by the way.

I find it hilarious that after Final Fantasy VII Remake, Nier 2, TLG, Ni-Oh and Shenmue 3 all got announced last year(re-announced in the case of TLG), that people want to dismiss a Crash reboot as ridiculous. Despite all of the hints from insiders and Sony themselves. So funny.

Are you being obtuse? lol Read the thread. Hell read the google docs link in the post above this one.

Then explain, for instance, why is it Sony Computer Entertainment and not Sony Interacitve Entertainment credited for PS1 Crash? How is Hudson Soft publisher of PSN Bomberman when they were bought out by Konami? These things do not need to get updated. They need to be "valid at the time of publication".

Because Sony has the distribution rights for PSN Bomberman? This isn't complicated man. Activision isn't the only company who likely struck a deal with Sony, there are some games on PSN that you won't find outside of Sony platforms because of deals like these. You're reading way to much into this just like most others here are.

Thank you. That pretty much sums it up I guess.

Aside from the quotes above, there's:

-The Shawn Layden Crash Bandicoot Shirt at PSX last year
- EASTER EGG SPOILERS FOR A RECENT GAME:
The Crash Bandicoot PS1 box in Uncharted 4, without any credit to Activision, which would have not happened at all before.
-NECA Toys Director Outright Says Crash is Coming Back
-And the sign from the top of the page

That's all just off the top of my head by the way.

1. That's not evidence.
2. Why would a recreation of a PS1 Crash game have the activision logo on it? As for the game itself played in that game, we already have 3 pages of discussion on how that doesn't mean anything.
3. Why is no one else as brave as him coming out and saying he's coming back? Also Him coming back doesn't mean SOny brought back the IP which seems to be one of the general statements in this thread so far.
4. That sign? Didn't someone verify that was a sign you see in a european country for animals or something?

I understand people are excited. But there's excited and putting things out of context to elevate false hopes. The fact people still think the sign above is evidence baffles me.

Playsage

Before the bolded they are all Vivendi.
at this point you are just making an argument for the sake of it

SDCowboy

I don't see why Activision still owning it would have anything to do with a new Crash game come out or not. Sony didn't own Crash before.

1. That's not evidence.
2. Why would a recreation of a PS1 Crash game have the activision logo on it? As for the game itself played in that game, we already have 3 pages of discussion on how that doesn't mean anything.
3. Why is no one else as brave as him coming out and saying he's coming back? Also Him coming back doesn't mean SOny brought back the IP which seems to be one of the general statements in this thread so far.
4. That sign? Didn't someone verify that was a sign you see in a european country for animals or something?

I understand people are excited. But there's excited and putting things out of context to elevate false hopes. The fact people still think the sign above is evidence baffles me.

Look at the google doc with Bruce Leeroy's hints then. It's been linked enough times.

Before the bolded they are all Vivendi.
at this point you are just making an argument for the sake of it

Vivendi and Activision decided to Merge in 2007.

I like how you took an unrelated post, and then inserted it to try and own me in a completely different conversation but still failed.

I always see people trying hard to find things here and there about why a game is coming that's normal but taking the other road and trying hard to explain its nothing is a weird road to take let people believe

It's happening stop hating

RK128

Can we all just be happy that SOMETHING is happening with the Crash IP this year :l. Even if is only appearing in that specific game, it still is something and that is a damn cool something I must say :).

People want Crash to come back and I do as well, so people shouldn't be pressing down on those people and say its not happening. I think it is and while it might NOT happen....there is way too much smoke showing otherwise.

If Crash doesn't appear in some form this E3, then I will eat crow and admit I was wrong looking forward to the announcement. But otherwise, I feel that Crash is coming back and I can't wait to see what it looks like :D.

I will just say this; my Crash 1 Retrospective got some of the highest views compared to any other Retrospective I made in short amount of time. My Mega Man X Retrospective and Sonic Generations one got a lot of attention but not on the level of Crash 1. Hell, just ANNOUNCING that I was making a Crash Retrospective got well over 20 likes on the New NewGaf Thread twitter account.....max amount was 10 or less.

People want Crash, so lets all just be happy something is happening with the IP in the future :).

Scotia

Banned
I will never understand the plight some people take to try and disprove a game exists. Like, just let people believe if they want to, Christ.

SNURB

I will never understand the plight some people take to try and disprove a game exists. Like, just let people believe if they want to, Christ.

Because people are stupid and want to find any reason to shit on someone for being excited about something.

RK128

Aggressively? I'm being ganged up on for pointing things out such as a sign from 3 years ago is likely no evidence for a game in 2016.

I think its nice having a opposing view-point sometimes honestly; you being realistic is good for tempering my expectations this E3. Even though I'm still expecting Crash, will not be disappointing if he does not show.

People really want the game to happen and I feel there is too much smoke proving that something is happening with the IP. Its fine if you don't see that or don't believe that, but others do.

Either way, its making for productive discussion and I appreciate the comments you have been making thus far.

Because Sony has the distribution rights for PSN Bomberman? This isn't complicated man. Activision isn't the only company who likely struck a deal with Sony, there are some games on PSN that you won't find outside of Sony platforms because of deals like these. You're reading way to much into this just like most others here are.

So... because Sony got the distribution rights for Bomberman Ultra, they [don't] have to list... whom exactly? Because I somehow doubt they listed Hudson solely due to good faith.

Ok aggressively maybe isn't the right word. Vehemently, then.

I'm sure you can tell that through typed words on a keyboard. Wait.

It takes time to develop a videogame you know.

So you think they were hinting at selling the IP to Sony or working with each other for 3 years? You think they had all these tricks to fool people well in advance for 3 years? You think a Crash Bandicoot game takes 3 years to make?

People think I'm nuts for thinking some of the points expressed in this thread don't make sense?

RK128

So you think they were hinting at selling the IP to Sony or working with each other for 3 years? You think they had all these tricks to fool people well in advance for 3 years? You think a Crash Bandicoot game takes 3 years to make?

People think I'm nuts for thinking some of the points expressed in this thread don't make sense?

You never know; this could of been a small side-project for Naughty Dog for a long time now (as they were making two massive projects, Last of Us and Uncharted 4 back to back).

Playsage

Vivendi and Activision decided to Merge in 2007.

I like how you took an unrelated post, and then inserted it to try and own me in a completely different conversation but still failed.

I would take a look to the Publisher/Producer credits if I were you, it's not that simple...
And I thought that "they" you were referring to was "Activision" in response to me... My bad I guess.

And I don't know where I'm failing in presenting arguments when you are ignoring or making up things...

Liamc723

Yes, I absolutely do think they've been dropping hints at the IP acquisition for 3 years.

So... because Sony got the distribution rights for Bomberman Ultra, they [don't] have to list... whom exactly? Because I somehow doubt they listed Hudson solely due to good faith.

Sony has the rights to do what they want with those games. They don't need to credit Konami or Activision. They not only have the rights, but they also have the exclusivity of those games, because as you know you aren't finding Crash 1-3 on XBox Live.

I have no idea what is confusing you this is simple. Crash 103 and CTR are via likely a deal, Sony's games to sell and distribute. They don't have to put Activision in those games, which are just emulated anyway. Same with Bomberman on PSN.

You are getting something like Bomberman PS classic confused with something like Bomberman Ultra.

Top Bottom