• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony confirms PS4 Neo, [Cites smartphone cycle, waiting until enough games post E3]

It's more confirmation that corporations aren't as stupid as some think or wish they'd be. They need to sell devices NOW, the fact that the cat's out of the bag already could jeopardize that, that's why House is making sure to say Neo will be expensive, so that people still buy PS4's now and in the future.

This makes sense to me.

Sort of amazing that Sony are going to go into E3 with the implication that people shouldn't buy the current PS4.

You are overestimating hardcore gamers...the avg person doesn't care and will just go with the cheaper option. This won't effect PS4 sales.

Loris146

So now its all down to MS to bring some surprises next week.

Is this just more confirmation that E3 is no longer as big as everyone thinks it is?

Every year it's the same story. E3 is still the most important gaming event but it makes little sense to unveil a new HW so early ( if the target release is end of 2016 / q1 2017) . It would impact PS4 OG sales.

OneUh8

As I suspected. No doubt it will be one of those announced and then quickly release sort of thing. Smart, because they will kill PS4 sales if they announced it and not release quickly.

LuuKyK

How do you not announce a console at E3? When the hell else are they gonna do it?

At a separate event? At PlayStation Experience?

As I suspected. No doubt it will be one of those announced and then quickly release sort of thing. Smart, because they will kill PS4 sales if they announced it and not release quickly.

Thats what I thought too.

valkyre

Sort of amazing that Sony are going to go into E3 with the implication that people shouldn't buy the current PS4.

Yeah, I always thought that Neo would be confirmed when Sony would be able to circulate it to the market immediately, like Apple does releasing the products directly after keynotes...

I dont get what they are doing now...

Why even confirm this? They will just lose sales until it's released. No one wants a lesser product if they know they can pay a little and get the best version. IMO, this is the wrong move to make.
Because we all know it's happening and if they went the entire E3 and never addressed it it'd be odd.

Plus you're looking at PS4 $250-300 and Neo $400. More people will be buying the base PS4 when the Neo launches

Memnoch

I was always sceptical of that - Neo and VR target the same demographic at launch and as a company you have to be out of your mind to expect them to pay up to €1000 in a single month or two.
I totally would. It would be expensive but Christmas has come early!

ZeroX03

Banned
Sony are super chill on Neo. I believe him when he says “It is intended to sit alongside and complement the standard PS4,” “We will be selling both [versions] through the life cycle.”

I just want a slim PS4.

How much more slim can it feasibly get?

Can't wait for that slim XB1 though, that system should be PS4 sized.

WinFonda

"Both versions through the life cycle".

can we put an end to the doomsday posts about new PS4s every 2 years now?

how many years left in PS4's cycle you think? its incredibly naive to believe this isn't part of an effort to establish a new norm of hardware updates every 2-2.5 years.

Only hardware we might see is the x1 slim. I wasn't expecting anything else, Scorpio won't be shown. Also I'm okay with this. They can devote more time to games both Sony and Microsoft.

I prefer when they have the separate events to show the system actually.

Boke1879

Good. We know it exists and I doubt this stalls sales of the PS4. And it won't be at E3. Good. It means they'll reveal it closer to its release

Yeah, I always thought that Neo would be confirmed when Sony would be able to circulate it to the market immediately, like Apple does releasing the products directly after keynotes...

I dont get what they are doing now...
The mass market still have no clue about NEO.

sense

I mean Nintendo won't show NX and now this. Yeah, this speaks a lot about E3 and revealing systems there. It's not important at all.
No it shows that they don't want to cannibalize the existing ps4 sales until the fall. PS3 slim was announced at gamescom as well closer to fall.

thuway

How do you not announce a console at E3? When the hell else are they gonna do it?
It's pretty obvious why Sony isn't showing off Neo. A new PS4 would undermine the insane amount of exclusives they are rumored to be showing. When you design a conference, you design it for how you want the press to write about it.

The main talking point of E3 2016 seems to be PS4's exclusive portfolio which includes- and isn't limited to: God of War IV, Detroit, Dead Don't Ride, The Last Guardian, Dreams, Boundless, Gravity Rush 2, Gran Turismo Sport- and the list goes on.

Every PlayStation cycle it takes a few years- but there comes an E3 where the exclusives come to roost. This is that year.

RdN

I already was counting on it missing E3.

No reason to announce it now and have a negative impact on PS4 sales.

If it really is coming this year announcing it at Gamescom or even TGS makes a lot more sense.

Top Bottom