• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony confirms PS4 Neo, [Cites smartphone cycle, waiting until enough games post E3]

The God

kttcoligarbage

yurinka

Makes sense.

If they require the games released in Autumn and later to support Neo mode, I assume Neo will be released in Autumn.

Right now they should create hype for PSVR and a lot of PS4 games they have to show. PS4 Neo announcement in E3 would distract people and would affect normal PS4 sales until Autumn.

So it's better to announce PS4 Neo at TGS/PGW/GC.

amdb00mer

Naw but i did recently take it apart and cleaned it

added new thermal paste

Seems to be working really well so far

I've been thinking of doing that. It's a day 1 PS4 and i'm sure it's due for some maintenace. I always worry about it since Infamous Second Son. That game would make the fan on my PS4 speed up and sound like a jet engine. No other game has really done that yet, but I heard Uncharted 4 is very taxing on the 1st gen models.

Ricker

Time for Microsoft to pull a fast one on Sony,like Sony did with that price thing a few years back...announce to new 4K ready X1 at the conference at a slightly higher price and shit...do it. ;)

Now let's see if Microsoft unveil Scorpio.

I feel a game of cat and mouse coming on.

yup lol... ;)

I think it's safe to assume that MS won't be showing the better hardware neither then, if they even had it in their plans to begin with.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'm thinking Sony doesn't want to kill the PS4 sales later this year during the holidays. Maybe announce the Neo at Gamescom or even later at this years PSX which has so far been in December. I don't think they want people hearing about a newer better system and waiting to purchase that into the next year. Of course what do I know but seems mostly logical, don't want to shoot yourself in the foot by announcing the next best thing too early, especially when they can still sell a lot more of their current product.

I've been thinking of doing that. It's a day 1 PS4 and i'm sure it's due for some maintenace. I always worry about it since Infamous Second Son. That game would make the fan on my PS4 speed up and sound like a jet engine. No other game has really done that yet, but I heard Uncharted 4 is very taxing on the 1st gen models.

Highly recommended

My PS4 is VERY quiet now

It was probably a combination of "reseating" the APU on the heatsink and higher quality thermal paste

Also having all the dust build up cleared helps

Now my Jet engine just purrs

sense

So who's going to rush out to buy a PS4 now. Dumb move Sony.

Although this does align with a rumor I (thought I) saw around a reveal at TGS
The majority wouldn't care until something can be seen and compared with. Right now only the hardcore gamer crowd will care and they already have seen the rumors and know it is coming. This is just to avoid repeated questions at e3 about its existence and also make a big deal about it close to release

Yonafunu

As expected. The only way they'd have it at E3 is if it'd come this year. And it's not. They're not going to have PSVR and a new, more expensive PS4 release at the same time.

Hopefully it launches in 2017.

Pretty tough sell for Neo and PSVR in one year to most consumers.
Good luck to Sony's marketing dept with this thing too.

Boogdud

Translation: We aren't going to announce the Neo because we'd like to sell a few PS4s before we have Neos for the market.

Tregard

Soothsayer
So they now have the burden of officially stating there's a higher spec PS4 coming, with none of the advantages of showing it off with the titles on show at E3? Seems a bit backwards to me.

Hope and pray Microsoft show off Scorpio anyway, they'll have the advantage of being the only hardware at E3.

Skux

This is going to kill the hype. No point getting excited for all these games when we still have to wait on the new system to play them on.

Elios83

It was obvious they wouldn't announce it at E3 if it's months away from release, they're not dumb.
Just like Microsoft won't announce a more powerful console scheduled to be released in 2017 if they want to sell people the Slim this year.

But it's nice they're confirming a dual model strategy.
I thought they would replace the current PS4 entirely at some point with the Neo.
This also raises the chances of a normal slimlined PS4.
I guess they'll make an announcement in September, normal PS4 will be price cutted to 299$ and Neo will be introduced at 399$.

Scorpio also shouldn't be at E3 unless MS wants to kill Xbone right now.

The hardware stuff will probably be a Xbox Slim. I see no reason for MS to go ahead and announce the Scorpio there. I do wonder what is going to happen now, when is Sony unveiling it and will it come out this year or sometime next year?

Audioboxer

So they now have the burden of officially stating there's a higher spec PS4 coming, with none of the advantages of showing it off with the titles on show at E3? Seems a bit backwards to me.

Hope and pray Microsoft show off Scorpio anyway, they'll have the advantage of being the only hardware at E3.

That unless they change their minds and rumours are false is set for fall 2017... That's an even more suicidal move than Sony NOT announcing Neo yet.

MS would be best to hope this news is true and keep Scorpio under wraps for longer.

odhiex

I was expecting this (not at e3), my hope are still the same $399 + bump the specs and release it in Q1 next year. or they could still release it by the end of this year, although I think that would be a bit rushed.

Top Bottom