• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony cross-play documents with Epic/Dev's

SoraNoKuni

Not sure I'm reading this correctly.

You're suggesting that this isn't a legitimate subpoenaed court document, exposed via the Epic v Apple trial taking place currently, and that it's some made up story?
No, I am not questioning the legitimacy of the documents.

Just stating how some people think other companies except Sony are charities, and how every other day such documents get spread on Twitter like wildfire.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
In this thread; people who think business literally just means raping your own customer for every single penny and never letting them have any autonomy whatsoever.

There’s something called goodwill, as some of you never seem to have heard of it; it means doing something not for profit but to build feelings of happiness between a customer and a company. This in turn boosts the company’s reputation amongst its customer base.

SoraNoKuni

So Epic are happy to pay the money yet people on here are outraged. It’s so pathetic.
Apparently Sony fooled Epic, they should hire the neogaf experts to tell them not to pay Sony the compensation.

And then people using those deals as FUD against Sony to defend Microsoft and justify their big rectangular box purchase.

I don't really get the hatred against Sony, I understand criticism but not the radical fanboyism, company deals happen, and will happen.

Ozzie666

I don't blame Sony when they had near total market domination. However, it's short sighted.

Third parties take the risk making multiplayer games, games as services, MMO's etc. These games need players and come with high risk. Cross play makes the game more profitable, safer for developers. Hopefully Sony will open the doors..

Do you defend one because it makes you money. You defend the other because…?

If we somehow knew this was a one time thing to disincentivize crossplay, that’d be one thing.

You still don't get it do you?
Thats how a company like Sony survives for that long.
They make smart business decisions.
Making money.
Surviving/Thriving as a company.

Sure they COULD have taken the loss of revenue but then they would have less money to re-invest into the company.
Most people here just don't understand how companys work especially larger ones.

reksveks

You still don't get it do you?
Thats how a company like Sony survives for that long.
They make smart business decisions.
Making money.
Surviving/Thriving as a company.

Sure they COULD have taken the loss of revenue but then they would have less money to re-invest into the company.
Most people here just don't understand how companys work especially larger ones.
You guys are talking to different points, we understand why Sony is making this decision/deal. We don't understand why some people are defending it as consumers and some people think its good for consumers. Defending might a strong word but some of the comments feels like that.

Microsoft's purchase of bethesda is also negative for consumers assume that they aren't bring anything to the picture. Exclusivity is a bit of a grey area imo, exclusives for struggling companies (not including bethesda) can be helpful in the wider picture.

People here are like a kid who is shocked when he knew that his steak is made by killing a caw.
This a typical behind the door business. All companies are like this. It's normal. They sell you product and make money.

Menzies

Banned
It's regrettable that it took some shrewd/slow accountant at Sony 2+ years to think of this deal in hindsight.

All the while their name is getting raked across the coals for being the only platform not supporting cross-play.

They very reluctantly went into this as they offered up all manner of excuses for years such as 'think of the children'. That's clearly something which doesn't shine a great light on them. At least be honest with the public. You were thinking about your wallets, not the children. Which is fine! That's all anyone should expect from a business. Just don't lie to us.

Thirty7ven

Banned
In this thread; people who think business literally just means raping your own customer for every single penny and never letting them have any autonomy whatsoever.

There’s something called goodwill, as some of you never seem to have heard of it; it means doing something not for profit but to build feelings of happiness between a customer and a company. This in turn boosts the company’s reputation amongst its customer base.

What’s getting increasingly clear here and in other places, is that apparently there’s an army of village idiots and stupid kids looking at every nook and cranny, to say some ol bullshit about anything PlayStation related. Look at the trash you wrote, “raping your own costumer”. It must be ptsd from all these years, surely.

kuncol02

Banned
Exactly what I mean by specific scenarios. If a player is spending most of his time on PlayStation but spending his MTX money on another platform, then this becomes a pretty bad deal for PlayStation.
That's not only case when Epic will need to pay Sony. If for some reason players who play on XBox will spend twice as much money on MTX as ones on PS (for example because of some special Halo launch promotion or something like that) then Epic will need to pay Sony.
Fact they need to pay them is not even worst problem there. Biggest problem there is Sony extorting sales data of concurrent platforms.

Who's the audience in this situation?
Gamers
its pretty black and white...either you pay us to enable crossplay or we dont let you do it...that how that tweet read which had the email

you can sit here and defend sony defending its market position and wanting money for microtransactions all you want to but for a company that literally uses the line for the players as part of their marketing its more about the payers than the actual players
this type of thinking has seeped into other areas which is why the current way they operate or have been operating is a clusterfuck of brilliant and downright shitty

people would also bring up the MS example but there are 2 things very different about it...1 they were not asking developers to pay to enable crossplay (that we know of) and 2 the xbox live infrastructure was miles better than sonys at the time and if my memory serves me correct it was around the same time
as the sony hacking scandal...nobody wanted to touch that shit or be involved with a service that had so many holes.

Crossplay has been probably the best thing for gaming as it brings gamers together on all platforms

Thirty7ven

Banned
That's not only case when Epic will need to pay Sony. If for some reason players who play on XBox will spend twice as much money on MTX as ones on PS (for example because of some special Halo launch promotion or something like that) then Epic will need to pay Sony.
Fact they need to pay them is not even worst problem there. Biggest problem there is Sony extorting sales data of concurrent platforms.

Biggest problem is that they need data to know the contract is being fulfilled? What are you afraid Sony is taking a peak at Xbox’s tidies?

Zoro7

Banned
Gamers
its pretty black and white...either you pay us to enable crossplay or we dont let you do it...that how that tweet read which had the email

you can sit here and defend sony defending its market position and wanting money for microtransactions all you want to but for a company that literally uses the line for the players as part of their marketing its more about the payers than the actual players
this type of thinking has seeped into other areas which is why the current way they operate or have been operating is a clusterfuck of brilliant and downright shitty

people would also bring up the MS example but there are 2 things very different about it...1 they were not asking developers to pay to enable crossplay (that we know of) and 2 the xbox live infrastructure was miles better than sonys at the time and if my memory serves me correct it was around the same time
as the sony hacking scandal...nobody wanted to touch that shit or be involved with a service that had so many holes.

Crossplay has been probably the best thing for gaming as it brings gamers together on all platforms
I mean Epic paid and continue to make a shit tonne of money off the PS users. What’s the bloody problem here? Is this any more shitty than forcing your user base to buy Xbox live to play F2P games online?

Three

Gamers

😄 What has the player lost here? They gave gamers crossplay. They let the gamers play for free, they let the gamers download for free. All this does is say if the revenue share is below 0.85 of the split of players on playstation then that means people are playing the game on playstation but buying content elsewhere. If the revenue split matches the player split or can even go 15% below Epic do not need to pay anything at all.

You bring up MS, yes they are not asking devs to pay now because they don't have the majority userbase and crossplay is actually beneficial to them. MS denied 'the gamers' crossplay completely. No crossplay of any form was allowed on 360. Your crap about PSN hacks is bullshit because they even denied it on PC. Didn't even have it for their own PC platforms like Games for Windows Live. Even stopped players from being able to crossbuy through steam. Now how is that for gamers?
You can pretend this was about MS not wanting to touch PSN but the real answer is that they were trying to charge people to play online and people playing on PC even on their own platforms were blocked because they wanted you to join Xbox Live to play with your friends. It was about protecting revenue even at the expense of the userbase, the players.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
there’s an army of village idiots and stupid kids looking at every nook and cranny, to say some ol bullshit about anything PlayStation related.

valois-silver-antique-french-style-mirror-p25599-91875_zoom.jpg

You guys are talking to different points, we understand why Sony is making this decision/deal. We don't understand why some people are defending it as consumers and some people think its good for consumers. Defending might a strong word but some of the comments feels like that.

Microsoft's purchase of bethesda is also negative for consumers assume that they aren't bring anything to the picture. Exclusivity is a bit of a grey area imo, exclusives for struggling companies (not including bethesda) can be helpful in the wider picture.

If you wanna read more about other thoughts of me regarding crossplay see this:
Well one can argue wheter Cross Play is a good thing or not.
I would say it depends on the game.
As a mainly PC Gamer I don't mind crossplay in shooters.
Those are easy targets.

Maybe thats why Playstation executives didn't like the idea.
Having console gamers with their limited controls facing against highly skilled keyboard and mouse gamers.
On PC a player can even tweak the games configs, making more customizations, blending out vegetation in distance and so on to have an advantage in MP games. I've seen it all.
And lets not forget cheating issues.

So yeah while there are many games that wouldn't suffer so much from cross-play others would in my opinion.

You see this isn't a black and white kind of situation.
Crossplay isn't something inherently good

However I wanna add - If we are talking about cross-progress without MTX Transactions I would vote for YES.
I wanna be able to share my game progress / saves - between different gaming plattforms.
I would also OBVIOUSLY strongly vote for a systems that lets me play a game I purchased on any one of those plattforms, to be available on all plattforms I own/use.

BUT I absolutly understand why Sony is hesitating to embrace cross plattform without strict regulations especially considering MTX transactions.

Last edited:

reksveks

If you wanna read more about other thoughts of me regarding crossplay see this:

You see this isn't a black and white kind of situation.
Crossplay isn't something inherently good

However I wanna add - If we are talking about cross-progress without MTX Transactions I would vote for YES. I wanna be able to share my game progress / saves - between different gaming plattforms.

BUT I absolutly understand why Sony is hesitating to embrace cross plattform without strict regulations especially considering MTX transactions.
I want to just say that Sony hasn't shown that they care about predatory MTX and if so, they are seemingly okay waiving their concerns away for some money. It doesn't feel like a point of principle regarding protecting users.

I want to just say that Sony hasn't shown that they care about predatory MTX and if so, they are seemingly okay waiving their concerns away for some money. It doesn't feel like a point of principle regarding protecting users.

Has anyone else shown that kind of sympathy towards their userbase?

I want to just say that Sony hasn't shown that they care about predatory MTX and if so, they are seemingly okay waiving their concerns away for some money. It doesn't feel like a point of principle regarding protecting users

It's not like they want to protect their users from some moral point of view

Last edited:

KingT731

This hurt the fighting game community immensely. The Guilty Gear community has been asking for crossplay since forever.

And before the low IQers come defending this, yes, even PS FG communities die because of bad netcode and lack of cross play.
This is a little different. Most fighting games don't sell 100k copies and even then the active hard-core playing community is less than 10% of that. So ofc cross-play would be wanted and it's been available from PS -> PC for a while rather or not devs enable it. I also doubt the arrangement with Epic is the same for every developer/publisher.

Last edited:
You don't see problem in market leader using his dominant position to exort sales and usage data of all it's competitors ?
Nope. Obviously its neccessary for the contract. Otherwise Sony wouldn't know how much $ they should get of that mtx pie.

Last edited:

sainraja

Well one can argue wheter Cross Play is a good thing or not.
I would say it depends on the game.
As a mainly PC Gamer I don't mind crossplay in shooters.
Those are easy targets.

Maybe thats why Playstation executives didn't like the idea.
Having console gamers with their limited controls facing against highly skilled keyboard and mouse gamers.
On PC a player can even tweak the games configs, making more customizations, blending out vegetation in distance and so on to have an advantage in MP games. I've seen it all.
And lets not forget cheating issues.

So yeah while there are many games that wouldn't suffer so much from cross-play others would in my opinion.
Sony never prevented cross play between PS platforms and PC. They supported that even during the PS3 generation.

BootsLoader

Banned
Gamers

When you will have your own company and total domination in an industry (gaming or not), please give everything away for free, never try to make more money etc. I really don't get it. Sony is not a charity, it is a company that wants to make money. The work very hard to dominate the market, they spend a lot of money daily. It is normal they want to make most of it. I don't understand, what did you expect?

Thirty7ven

Banned
You don't see problem in market leader using his dominant position to exort sales and usage data of all it's competitors ?

The only way to enforce contract is by having access to the numbers. It's not like they will have access to every data on Xbox, just for the game in question.

LMAO with these Sony sites trying to twist reality 😱😭…. Masks down.

Tom Warren is the biggest clown in town.

Jemm

There is now the cross-play support and whatever deals Epic/Sony did behind the curtains don't really matter to us in any practical sense. I don't see, who was harmed here.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
There is now the cross-play support and whatever deals Epic/Sony did behind the curtains don't really matter to us in any practical sense. I don't see, who was harmed here.

Its just platform warriors doing their thing, trying to create drama because they are bored. And let's face it, you can't really blame them given the ongoing drought of anything new of real significance on their platforms.

The real shame is that noone's taking MS to task for their abysmal lack of output. 6 months in, they have The Medium. And that's it. Its pathetic, especially given how sluggish they were for the last couple of years of One X.

Last edited:

Gaz

Lol Sony hates crossplay, a pro-consumer move and adds extra conditions to allow it and fanboys are rushing to defend them why? I still remember all those people pitifully jumping to Sony's defence when it was resisting crossplay. Sad

ManaByte

Lol Sony hates crossplay, a pro-consumer move and adds extra conditions to allow it and fanboys are rushing to defend them why? I still remember all those people pitifully jumping to Sony's defence when it was resisting crossplay. Sad

And a lot of those people didn't even play Fortnite back when the fiasco was going down and don't know what it's like to have one platform holder basically keeping your purchases (that you made elsewhere) hostage. People who spent a ton of money on the PC side of Fortnite would get those accounts locked out of every other platform if they ever logged in on the PlayStation.

Top Bottom