• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony defends decision to block crossplay: "A responsibility to our install base."

borges

Banned
31914460.jpg

perfection ha

jennetics

It doesn't seem to be a problem for Nintendo, perhaps the most mindful video game company of the protection of children.

I imagine Jim's face looking like
giphy.gif

and then having to respond with
Yeah, that's true. Everybody has to take their own decisions. We'll do that. Like I say, we have no philosophical stance against cross-play at all.

It makes me laugh just thinking about it.

Just let it happen Sony. If Nintendo can do it i'm not buying their "but the kids" bs. Try harder. If my kids need protecting I think I can handle it.

My kids will now be playing Minecraft for Xbox One + Switch and ignoring the PS4 version completely because of this. Won't it be funny when my kids go from playing the PS4 all day to playing the Switch/Xbox One because of one game. Not good for Sony. As for me I'll try and skip any future game on Sonys platform that may be cross play on other systems.

OMG! They are literally using the "Think of the children" defense. It's not a good thing to insult the intelligence of your customers.

autoduelist

While he gave the 'think of the children' reason, he also didn't tell us the main reason:

"Unfortunately it's a commercial discussion between ourselves and other stakeholders, and I'm not going to get into the detail of that on this particular instance."

After telling us he can't go into the reason, he talks about -another- reason [kids]. So there may have been a financial or other motivator in there that is 'actually' the reason that they simply can't share [possibly for contractual reasons].

Starfield

Holy shit at the "we need to protect our customers and children" part. This sounds like Microsoft 2013 kind of bad. Wtf.

Arion

They are trying their best to spin what is obviously a shitty anti-consumer decision into something that doesn't make them look like a complete ass and they are failing miserably. This is the single worst decision they have made in a while.

PMS341

While he gave the 'think of the children' reason, he also didn't tell us the main reason:

"Unfortunately it's a commercial discussion between ourselves and other stakeholders, and I'm not going to get into the detail of that on this particular instance."

So there may have been a financial or other motivator in there that is 'actually' the reason that they simply can't share [possibly for contractual reasons].

This is most likely the case.

We have a contract with the people who go online with us, that we look after them and they are within the PlayStation curated universe. Exposing what in many cases are children to external influences we have no ability to manage or look after, it's something we have to think about very carefully.

Is it possible this has something to do with the current Terms of Service for PSN? I don't wanna come up with excuses for such an anti-consumer move but if that's the case it could just be something they didn't realize was a big deal and within the next year they could update the TOS or something.

Top Bottom