• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony dismisses downgrade rumour as "ridiculous"

Mmmkay

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=65545
Speaking to Eurogamer this morning, a Sony spokesperson has dismissed rumours that the PlayStation 3's hardware specs are to be downgraded as "ridiculous".

A report on website Games Radar claimed that Sony was having trouble fitting all the PS3's components within the console case without risk of overheating. The article also suggested that the Cell processor could run at a lower speed than originally stated.

But Sony spokesperson Jonathan Fargher told Eurogamer: "The PS3 downgrade story is categorically not true."

"Developers have been working with PS3 dev kits for anywhere between eight and 12 months, and to suggest that we'd now take the decision to downgrade the hardware at such a late stage, is, well, ridiculous."

"Worse still is the suggestion that we couldn't fit all the technical components into a plastic box," Fargher continued.

"Granted, whilst all products are not perfect, we do have over 40 years of experience making consumer electronics equipment, and therefore, extensive experience in making things fit - PSone and Slimline PS2 being just two examples of that."
Funny how Sony only appears to be responding to rumours posted on Games Radar. It seems their pedigree of being a 'Ziff Davis style' hub for the Future Publishing magazines means that it warrants attention from Sony as opposed to the blog journalism sites like Kotaku (which the Games Radar article recycled from).

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
What person in their right mind would respond to an article posted on Kotaku?

Mmmkay said:
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=65545

Funny how Sony only appears to be responding to rumours posted on Games Radar. It seems their pedigree of being a 'Ziff Davis style' hub for the Future Publishing magazines means that it warrants attention from Sony as opposed to the blog journalism sites like Kotaku (which the Games Radar article recycled from).

That's because if they were to address sites like Kotaku they'd have to issue a release nearly every day because that site will post any rumor they see.

Mmmkay

sharukins said:
they still dont deny the numbers though. delayed launch?
sharukins
MORON
(Today, 12:11 PM)
Reply | Quote

Nothing new there then...

I just found it amusing that they were effectively replying by proxy to the Kotaku (nee RA) story as if they wanted to say something but were waiting for a more 'credible' site to report it.

Sony said:
"Granted, whilst all products are not perfect, we do have over 40 years of experience making consumer electronics equipment, and therefore, extensive experience in making things fit - PSone and Slimline PS2 being just two examples of that."
9e_2.JPG

bush_aircraft_carrier_photo.jpg

sharukins

Banned
gofreak said:
He didn't say anything about the power supply being external, if that's what you're referring to. He was talking about the complexity/sophistication of the PSU, and as others had it, joked about how they could almost sell it seperately. A joke that was lost in translation for Gamedaily.

gamedaily didnt say outright, but they took the part before "sold seperately" came in.

but u could be right. with 360 without the powerbrick is 3.4 pounds and PS3 is 5 pounds, i guess the ps3 has its powerbrick inside.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
sharukins said:
gamedaily didnt say outright, but they took the part before "sold seperately" came in.

I'm not sure what you're talking about. They suggest it as a possibility with reference to Kutaragi's comment which follows their suggestion.

To be perfectly technical about it, though, even selling the power supply seperately wouldn't necessarily suggest it was external. You could have a brick that slots into a bay on the PS3.

But seriously, if you think Kutaragi was anything but joking about that..I can't believe this even requires clarification.

sharukins

Banned
gofreak said:
I'm not sure what you're talking about. They suggest it as a possibility with reference to Kutaragi's comment which follows their suggestion.

To be perfectly technical about it, though, even selling the power supply seperately wouldn't necessarily suggest it was external. You could have a brick that slots into a bay on the PS3.

But seriously, if you think Kutaragi was anything but joking about that..I can't believe this even requires clarification.

i know its in the ps3 why are u getting worked up. chill. i already said its inside. there there. easy boy :D .

Mmmkay

sharukins said:
but u could be right. with 360 without the powerbrick is 3.4 pounds and PS3 is 5 pounds, i guess the ps3 has its powerbrick inside.
Err the PS3 is 5Kgs, that's 11 pounds.

Mmmkay

Vaandaviii said:
Yeah, but 3,4 pounds is something like 1,5Kg, and I'm sure the X360 weights more than 1,5Kg...
Yeah, sharukins just got his pounds mixed up with kilos. No harm no foul :)

Forsete

"we do have over 40 years of experience making consumer electronics equipment, and therefore, extensive experience in making things fit - PSone and Slimline PS2 being just two examples of that."

QFFT.. People keep (or like to) forgetting this. :lol

hadareud

The Translator
Thankfully not every PS3 thread here with the slightest possibility of bad news, however unlikely and ridiculous this news may are, ends up being the exact same thing over and over again.

Certain individuals feel the need to defend anything Sony related without any real reason for it - I think everyone can make their own mind up (at least I would have hoped so).

PipBoy

Banned
In his first interview in october 2005, the mysterious Phantom Insider announced a PS3 delay and a Lair no-show. Sony denied the delay until the last minute and a Lair demo was nowhere to be seen at E3 ...

Forsete

Many people were already saying that the PS3 would be delayed back then. And LAIR was shown at E3 2006, in trailer form.

PipBoy said:
In his first interview in october 2005, the mysterious Phantom Insider announced a PS3 delay and a Lair no-show. Sony denied the delay until the last minute and a Lair demo was nowhere to be seen at E3 ...
the 'phantom insider' is some kid from that cesspool of a forum, ***-age. he knows nothing.

hadareud said:
Thankfully not every PS3 thread here with the slightest possibility of bad news, however unlikely and ridiculous this news may are, ends up being the exact same thing over and over again.

Certain individuals feel the need to defend anything Sony related without any real reason for it - I think everyone can make their own mind up (at least I would have hoped so).

In the same way that certain people wind the Sony fans up, the thread started with Sony stating that a released article was false ie. not negative news, then within one post someone comes in trying to stir it up.

Kittonwy

Banned
Forsete said:

So much for Kotaku's and Gamesradar's credibility, I'm pretty sure they'll make up some other lies about the PS3 in the future though.
gladtomeetya.gif

PipBoy

Banned
Many people were already saying that the PS3 would be delayed back then. And LAIR was shown at E3 2006, in trailer form.
His point was that they had a lot of problems with all the gameplay-related code. I, for one, think the PSU will be external for obvious thermodynamic issues - but Sony is denying it - I dont think the situation is very different.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
sharukins said:
i know its in the ps3 why are u getting worked up.

Well I don't ;) That's what they've announced, but we'll see when the box hits. I just don't think Gamedaily's interpretation of Kutaragi's joke changes much.

Mmmkay

PipBoy said:
His point was that they had a lot of problems with all the gameplay-related code. I, for one, think the PSU will be external for obvious thermodynamic issues - but Sony is denying it - I dont think the situation is very different.
I think there is a difference between statements like "have not announced changes", "aiming for Spring", "on track for" and ones like "ridiculous" and "categorically not true"...

You'd also have to appreciate that if there were to be an external PSU, the PS3 would be much lighter and smaller because of it.

Wollan

Mmmkay said:
You'd also have to appreciate that if there were to be an external PSU, the PS3 would be much lighter and smaller because of it.

I find the original Xbox more comfortable to bring around due to the lack of a (big)external power supply compared to the X360.

Forsete said:
Er yeah, and both of those came out years after the original. So it really doesn't mean anything in regards to the first generation PS3

Kittonwy said:
So much for Kotaku's and Gamesradar's credibility, I'm pretty sure they'll make up some other lies about the PS3 in the future though.
gladtomeetya.gif

Truth be told, Sony's claims cant really be used as proof that someone is lying or not credible though(altough im sure Kotaku is definitly wrong on this one), just remember that they restated that stuff at E3 2k5 was REAL after people reported it was CG and they kept saying spring when everybody with cranial capacities was saying they wouldnt make that.
So yeah, because Sony is saying something it doesnt make it automatically more credible then things that contradict em.

But again, I do believe em this time.

Fishie flop oog said:
Truth be told, Sony's claims cant really be used as proof that someone is lying or not credible though(altough im sure Kotaku is definitly wrong on this one), just remember that they restated that stuff at E3 2k5 was REAL after people reported it was CG and they kept saying spring when everybody with cranial capacities was saying they wouldnt make that.

No, im pretty sure that never happened. Individual developers for the games, particularily Killzone 2, said that the demo was representative of real gameplay.

Top Bottom