• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony doesn't allow Fallout 4/Skyrim mods on PS4

jet1911

Sony - No EA Access for you

Sony - No mods on this game for you

Sony - No soup for you!

Screen-Shot-2013-08-16-at-13.52.34.png

What would be the risk of making those proprietary tools public? If any?

Something must be there that could potentially do more harm than good it seems.
There's no risk, Sony just didn't want to share their proprietary format with the public. Again, there is no way for Fallout 4 mods on console to interact with anything but Fallout 4, the format doesn't change that.

The format is literally just what file type textures/audio will be, and it's the difference between working and not working (audio) or running well/tanking performance (textures).

If this sounds too crazy to be true, it's because it is (crazy). Now hopefully you can understand why I've been so frustrated in this thread.

@PlayStation what happened to you guys you use to be for the players now it's all about money why you guys have more than enough money
Like any business it has always been about the money. That "For The Players" speech is for marketing purposes to make you think Sony cares about you. They care for you alright, just the you that gives them your wallet.

Truant

Too bad. The best part of Fallout 4 was the 'Atomic Radio' mod. Better writing, voice acting and audio production than most AAA titles. It's like top tier GTA-level radio stuff.

Thanks but can someone try to explain why Sony would create these roadblocks in the first place?

1. Why 900 mb? I understand having some limitation, mods can't be 100 gb obviously but this seems notably low for no real reason. Is there some cost with going higher?

2. The proprietary stuff. What could the big deal be in a worst case scenario? Is this an avenue to hack the console or could there be some other explanation?
1. There was no technical reason the community was ever made aware of, just the arbitrary limit Sony put under the guise of it being expanded in the future

2. See below.
There's no risk, Sony just didn't want to share their proprietary format with the public. Again, there is no way for Fallout 4 mods on console to interact with anything but Fallout 4, the format doesn't change that.

The format is literally just what file type textures/audio will be, and it's the difference between working and not working (audio) or running well/tanking performance (textures).

If this sounds too crazy to be true, it's because it is (crazy). Now hopefully you can understand why I've been so frustrated in this thread.

dubq

I feel like Sony is slowly undoing all of the goodwill that they have created since they first launched the PS4. They need to smarten up.

EDIT: Why do I also get a sinking feeling that some of this is a ploy to sway people to PS4 Pro? "Oh, look, well we can do mods on this new more robust system with no praaaablems! PLS BUY IT NOW!"

uh....oh?

Hope Sony doesn't start slipping back into early PS3 days Sony. No-one wants to see that again.

Start? The start was when they didn't have PS1 backwards compatibility even though it's 100% software.

The start was when PS2 on PS4 titles didn't recognize the same title you had bought on the PS3, not even a paltry discount.

The start was when they increased the price of PS+ without increasing benefits.

The start was when they still haven't let you actually buy a game that you 'own' with PS+, leading people who wanted to buy Mickey's Castle of Illusion on PSN fucked and forever tied to requiring PS+ to play it, effectively making it a time bomb.

The start was when they revealed the PS4Pro wouldn't play movies in 4K, just games.

The start was when Rocket League cross-platform multiplayer was working for everyone but Sony.

When will it start for you?

There's only so many times you can shift the blame elsewhere before it looks like they're doing nothing but shifting blame.

Honestly, what reason does Sony have to allow mods on PS4? They've already won. Mods on Xbone was likely pitched to Bethesda by Microsoft when it was clear Xbone was losing and they needed something to try and regain good will with the public - And I mean, hell, Mods on PS4 wasn't promised until people bitched that mods were only announced for Xbone and Bethesda PR scrambled to say they'd try for PS4 too. Same in the case of Microsoft announcing they'd allow crossplat multiplayer.

Sony's in the position Microsoft was at 3 years into 7th Gen, with an unbreakable lead and virtual monopoly on the console market (The high attach-rate section, sorry Wii). They can, will, and are laurelsresting their way through the rest of the gen raking in money as 3rd Parties build the money-printers for them, just like Microsoft did on the 360 - Complete with hiking up the price of the Multiplayer tollgate-fee... I mean, what'cha gonna do about that if you don't like that? Go to the losing console? Sony loses nothing from blocking mods, and they have no reason to lift their restrictions to allow mod-parity with Xbone.

The cycle of 1st Parties shifting between Arrogant and Humble as their dominance waxes and wanes is largely why I pulled my ass out of the console market and only occasionally cautiously dip my toes in and don't let myself get tied down to any specific console ecosystem.

Danneee

Wow, that's pretty shitty.

I'll just play my digital 360 copy then, there's literally nothing making me want to buy the ps4 version anymore.

I feel like Sony is slowly undoing all of the goodwill that they have created since they first launched the PS4. They need to smarten up.

EDIT: Why do I also get a sinking feeling that some of this is a ploy to sway people to PS4 Pro? "Oh, look, well we can do mods on this new more robust system with no praaaablems! PLS BUY IT NOW!"
That would be quite evil of them so they could push the Pro console sales.

leeh

Thanks but can someone try to explain why Sony would create these roadblocks in the first place?

1. Why 900 mb? I understand having some limitation, mods can't be 100 gb obviously but this seems notably low for no real reason. Is there some cost with going higher?

2. The proprietary stuff. What could the big deal be in a worst case scenario? Is this an avenue to hack the console or could there be some other explanation?
I can only think of one reason, and that's the engineering resource what they have to plan, cost and allocate to doing something like this. Bethesda will of approached Sony and said we can't implement mods right now, we need A,B and X. Sony will of turned round and said, sorry guys, we don't have the capacity to work on that currently and won't do for the foreseeable future.

They will of agreed mod support prior, and Sony will of implemented a solution based on original requirements. Like any software project, those change, things occur and things have to be re-jigged. If Sony did what was originally asked and shifted all their allocated resource onto other projects, then they simply wouldn't of been able to allocate time to update what was originally planned.

Patapwn

1. There was no technical reason the community was ever made aware of, just the arbitrary limit Sony put under the guise of it being expanded in the future

2. See below.
Smh I was trying to be reasonable and consider this from Sonys side but it appears that its all their fault.

Wereroku

2. See below.

Why wouldn't Bethesda at least release limited mod support? Ones without texture or audio modification should be possible and easily fit in the 900mbs limit. Or is it that they have decided to take their ball home since Sony isn't working with them so they aren't going to allow anything.

Also why not just allow modding using the original textures and audio files? It seems like they could release an ok version of Mods on PS4.

I don't know why you get that sinking feeling, because there is absolutely zero to suggest they would follow this kind of gameplan. But hey don't let that get in the way of a baseless conspiracy theory.

They documents that all has been true so far explicitly stated the "Neo" version could not have excluvise features or modes.

xviper

great move from sony

i don't want PC features on consoles, it's bad enough that they are bringing early access crab

Juraash

So when I first read this I was all ready to get my pitchfork out and light my torch. And then I started to think about it a bit more....and I'm not sure I really care.

About the only mod I wanted for FO4 was the one that shows you what your dialogue responses actually are. As for Skyrim, most of the mods I did use were to fix little graphics issues or improve textures. I didn't fall far down the mod rabbit hole on PC for Bethesda games.

So it sucks for those that wanted it, and I sympathize, but for me personally...I just don't care enough to actually get mad about it.

Why wouldn't Bethesda at least release limited mod support? Ones without texture or audio modification should be possible and easily fit in the 900mbs limit. Or is it that they have decided to take their ball home since Sony isn't working with them so they aren't going to allow anything.

Given the response we've seen this morning, Bethesda was right to go 'all or nothing' with this. The ball is now in Sony's court to not look like the smug stuck-up company they're appearing to be right now.

Cels

arrogant sony is slowly coming back it seems

first not allowing cross platform play when xb1 is open to it, then raising price of PS+ even though the network still goes down far too often, now this

leeh

Also why not just allow modding using the original textures and audio files? It seems like they could release an ok version of Mods on PS4.
Then you're asking the community to update their mods to support the PS4 and essentially create a half-baked solution which just makes Bethesda look bad.

Probably a mixture of both. Bethesda came out and announced it before they knew they could make it work, and Sony seems like they either couldn't or wouldn't budge on their key issues that Bethesda was running into with the PlayStation architecture.

I think it looks worse for Bethesda right now though since they're tossing shit at one of their biggest business partners whereas they could've come out and say they were unable to add it due to technical issues and leave it at that.

Look at this from all angles.

If Bethesda probably shouldn't have been public about the issues with Sony. It has to be a last resort. And it makes me wonder how this could hurt their relationship with Sony but possibly strengthens their relationship with Microsoft.

Honestly, what reason does Sony have to allow mods on PS4? They've already won.

They're a consumer electronics company. You can't resist features that your customers want purely on the basis of made up fanboy arguments that "we won" and "they lost." That sort of mentality will gain traction on videogame forums where enthusiasts legitimately feel that their egos are hurt if their preferred piece of plastic sells fewer units than someone else's preferred piece of plastic, but the very basis of selling consumer electronics is making things that your customers want. Customers of the PS4 who bought Fallout 4 want mod support. Now there could be some legitimate technical or business reasons why Sony does not want to allow mod support on their console, which is perfectly legit, but if we think Sony's mentality is "We won" and "They lost" therefore, they don't have to add features that customers want, then it's going to be bad for business. Because Sony has been so cagey and tightlipped on this, we can only speculate.

Microsoft didn't support mods on Fallout 4 to win a phony console warriors internet argument. They ultimately supported them because customers of Fallout 4 have always wanted mods on consoles, and because the architecture is so similar between consoles and PCs this generation, it was a requirement that was ultimately within scope for consoles.

What reason does Sony have to allow mods? Mods are awesome, their customers want mods, and mods make the game better. If you're trying to make the best videogame console, then that's reason enough.

But, really, we have to stop thinking about everything in terms of a fanboy internet argument. If companies operate their business on the fanboy driven idea of "why would we work on this feature, we won, they lost!" then they won't be companies for very long.

Wereroku

Given the response we've seen this morning, Bethesda was right to go 'all or nothing' with this. The ball is now in Sony's court to not look like the smug stuck-up company they're appearing to be right now.

How do we know what Sony even assured them? We have a user without inside knowledge saying Sony assured Bethesda mods would work and as far as we have seen mods do work they just have more limitations then Microsoft. From what I have read they could release full mod support with the limitation of using already existing sounds and textures. The refusal to release anything seems like it's Beth trying to strongarm Sony at the expense of their customers. But to be frank Beth has never really cared much about their customers looking at FO3 and Skyrim on the PS3.

Then you're asking the community to update their mods to support the PS4 and essentially create a half-baked solution which just makes Bethesda look bad.

PC mods already have to be updated to support the consoles it wasn't a one to one conversion or anything to start with. How would it make Beth look bad they could release it with limits and announce what they already have Sony limits their capabilities. That way they point everyone at Sony without punishing the ps4 players.

leeh

How do we know what Sony even assured them? We have a user without inside knowledge saying Sony assured Bethesda mods would work and as far as we have seen mods do work they just have more limitations then Microsoft. From what I have read they could release full mod support with the limitation of using already existing sounds and textures. The refusal to release anything seems like it's Beth trying to strongarm Sony at the expense of their customers. But to be frank Beth has never really cared much about their customers looking at FO3 and Skyrim on the PS3.
Come on, for something like this to get publicly advertised, it has to get signed off by numerous people on both sides and written up in formal documentation shared between companies.

People really underestimate the amount of work what goes into things like this. This isn't bedroom programming.

great move from sony

i don't want PC features on consoles, it's bad enough that they are bringing early access crab
A bit late to whine about PC features when patches and installations came to consoles a generation ago.

Also, equating mod support with early access "crab" is hilarious.

Wereroku

Come on, for something like this to get publicly advertised, it has to get signed off by numerous people on both sides and written up in formal documentation shared between companies.

People really underestimate the amount of work what goes into things like this. This isn't bedroom programming.

Really if so they should have written documentation stating Sony would allow the room they needed. They probably didn't even have the specification worked out at first and just got assurances from Sony that modding would be allowed not the exact parameters of what would be allowed. Also since they had already made FO4 ps4 you would think they had the sound and texture problem worked out in the paperwork if it was as laid out as you think.

Also that wouldn't be the programming side that would be the legal side. Lord knows what they even knew about the mod specifications.

Top Bottom