• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony doesn't allow Fallout 4/Skyrim mods on PS4

JJD

I wonder if Bethesda at least fixed the huge compatibility issues for mods on PS4.

Maybe they couldn't solve it and just put the blame on Sony, I mean it's strange that they have been working on it for month just to discover now that Sony won't allow it.

Seems like I won't be buying Skyrim again unfortunately.

Unknown?

Microsoft using the same file structure for the Xbox and the PC makes a ton more sense now. I'm sure there is a good way to get those mods into the PS4 file format, but it'll take more than just a simple conversion to get that code switched over. Bethesda's not going to pay for the conversion of mods and users aren't going to or aren't able to write mods for a completely separate file system.
It shouldn't be hard epic had a conversion program that converted mods in UT3 to PS3 format. Sounds like Bethesda is using Sony as a scapegoat!

As already mentioned there are games on PS4 that use mods.

Xbox would be a complete mess

Umm

Oh fuck off Bethesda. Rolling my eyes at the spin they put in there. "After we put in considerable time".

Maybe you should have asked Sony first about the technicals before ASSuming it would just work? Only to throw Sony under the bus for your poor planning?

I don't think they would have come out on stage and said mods would work with the game if they didn't look into the technical reasons before hand. I know their games aren't the best technically but, I think they would have known that much.

IronLich

Never played Skyrim before, and I passed on PS3 release due to the WONDERFUL saving issues that plagued it, but due to mod support, I was adamant on grabbing PS4 release.

Not so much anymore. Sony was clearly biting off more than they could chew with the sophistication of PC mods.

jesu

Hmm yet farming simulator 2017 will have mod support on PS4 from what we know so far, what are you not telling us Bethesda.

Will be interesting to see if those mods have audio on the PS4 as that seems to be one of the stumbling blocks with Fallout 4 mods.

9sxHPBx.jpg

Also security issues aren't a thing because Fallout 4 console mods can only interact with Fallout 4 and there is no possibility for linking to external libraries/code that can do literally anything besides interact with Papyrus in Fallout 4 during runtime.

JudgeN

Real talk Bethesda has a terrible track record on Sony platform, they haven't earned the benefit of the doubt. We knew there was technical problems and i'm more inclined to believe this just Bethesda not giving a shit, like they shown in the past to not give a shit about Sony platform.

They will pass the buck on Sony in a minute, cause they know they fucked up.

Fuck Sony and fuck Bethesda.

Fuck Sony for not being more flexible.
Fuck Bethesda for announcing mods on PS4 before they were 100% sure they would happen.

While I can fully believe that Sony is being inflexible and obstinate with this, I also fully believe the following.
Real talk Bethesda has a terrible track record on Sony platform, they haven't earned the benefit of the doubt. We knew there was technical problems and i'm more inclined to believe this just Bethesda not giving a shit, like they shown in the past to not give a shit about Sony platform.

They will pass the buck on Sony in a minute, cause they know they fucked up.

Hystzen

Maybe Bethesda should of you know thought about mods sooner before claiming they coming to Sony platform. Would love hear a Sony response but doubt ever will

Raven77

Goodbye Skyrim Remaster, we hardly knew you.

I would get it on X1 but I doubt it will look as good as it would have on PS4 and without mods on PS4, I have no interest in it.

Has any site done a comparison of the X1 version to the PS4 version of the remaster? Especially considering it will have a PS4 PRO mode right? I know it isn't out yet, just curious.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
What messaging? It's a new model ps4. They announced that it will be out next week. What more messaging did you need for the slim? You think the fact that it was leaked, or that it was announced during a fairly boring press conference is going to matter to the millions of targeted consumers who will be picking one up this holiday? Do you think Johnny Q. Gamer is going to be sitting at WalMart staring at a ps4 Slim box thinking to himself "you know, I kind of want one of these, all my friends are playing on it, but Sony's messaging and announcement were frankly embarrassing, this entire thing was a debacle!"?

Yep, I honestly believe they handled it very poorly.

If we're gonna take the perspective of Johnny Q Gamer then most of the discussion on GAF will be pointless because most people here are a tad bit more of gaming enthusiasts compared to Johnny Q. Let's not do that. Neither you nor I are "Johnny Q's"

The console was leaked via multiple retailers before official announcement, people bought it at highly inflated prices and coverage was all over without any official channels even commenting on it, to me the way Sony handled the whole Slim PS4 thing was poor and it could have been handled better. I won't even go into how the slim is still $50 too high and the fact that there's a more powerful box coming out in less than 2 months at just $100 more just about invalidates purchasing a Slim at this time .. that's a different discussion for a different topic.

Jmille99

I dunno. We know Sony supports mods as mentioned in this thread with Unreal Tournament and soon to be Farming Simulator 17. We know there were problems on the backend with getting this implemented as also mentioned in this thread.

I assume Bethesda wants Sony to make changes on their end to support what Bethesda wants to do, and Sony is saying no, they need to figure out a workaround themselves. So Bethesda puts the blame on Sony.

Seeing as how theyve half-assed their PlayStation releases and making sure it isnt a garbage fire, Im betting its more complicated than "Sony says no".

Elandyll

Banned
http://www.farming-simulator.com/newsArticle.php?lang=en&country=us&news_id=39

Among the many new features to be announced in the coming months for Farming Simulator 17, we are happy to unveil that modding support—which is exceptionally popular on PC—is making its grand debut on consoles! With Farming Simulator 17, all the players will be able to download content created by the passionate community of Farming Simulator players, including vehicles, animals, scenery elements and much more, opening up the possibilities of an ever-evolving Farming Simulator 17 experience.
Unless somehow Giants Software were to suddenly announce that by "consoles" they meant Xbox One and Xbox One S of course.

First thought: Sony is reverting back to their old PS3-era selves.

3vbbtd.jpg

Second thought: They'll change their mind and allow mods after all the backlash.

Boke1879

Doesn't matter if they know or give a shit about it. Bad buzz and word of mouth can hurt a company.

Will they even acknowledge it?

The PlayStation hack was damaging. $599 was damaging. This won't be news. Just like people got over the ps+ price increase after a day.

oSoLucky

Please quote and point them out instead of trying to ghost paint a bunch of members.

I'm not ghost painting shit, and never did I say it was everyone. I'm not going back through this whole thread to quote every post(i do plenty of calling out just don't have time for it atm), but I can tell you that there are 3 Sony warriors and and a couple PC ones also. I generally don't pay attention to much that any of them say. A lot of the usernames are very common in these types of threads.

There are legitimate gripes to be had for sure, and I haven't said a word about that, just the proportion of the response. I for some reason bought FO4 on PS4. I knew that I should never get a Bethesda RPG on console because mods re the only thing that makes them fun to me, but I fucked up. This news is slightly annoying, but calling Sony arrogant and 2005 all over again over not allowing mods for technical reasons?

Lol amazing
You don't need to defend Bethesda's honor here. They have fault in this fiasco too.

No audio, within the 900mb limit.
Plenty of space for quality of life mods, unofficial patches, etc. Why even limited mod support isn't available isn't clear.

Edit:
However, until Sony will allow us to offer proper mod support for PS4,

Huh, so sounds like Sony was offering limited mod support (no new textures, sounds, and a 900mb limit) but Bethesda didn't want that. Don't fucking know why, even with those limitations there are a ton of great quality of life mods that could be used on PS4. Let me reiterate, fuck Bethesda.

Yep, I honestly believe they handled it very poorly.

If we're gonna take the perspective of Johnny Q Gamer then most of the discussion on GAF will be pointless because most people here are a tad bit more of gaming enthusiasts compared to Johnny Q. Let's not do that. Neither you nor I are "Johny Q's"

The console was leaked via multiple retailers before official announcement, people bought it at highly inflated prices and coverage was all over without any official channels even commenting on it, to me the way Sony handled the whole Slim PS4 thing was poor and it could have been handled better. I won't even go into how the slim is still $50 too high and the fact that there's a more powerful box coming out in less than 2 months at just $100 just about invalidates purchasing a Slim at this time .. that's a different discussion for a different topic.

It seems like you are missing the point of the Slim, and who it is targeted to, which is pretty clear to me. If you want more power or a better box for $100, it's not for you. But the audience that just wants the cheapest way to play the games their friends have does exist. It seems all too often people around here can't see that, that they don't represent the mass consumer at all. It's okay to say "the PS4 slim isn't for me", but when that turns into "therefore the ps4 slim isn't for anybody and I don't even understand why it exists!" the disconnect becomes apparent.

Vuze

Sucks for all PS4 players who have been waiting for this.
Sony really have been putting out lots of shit lately, PR-wise.

I also assume that Bethesda is pretty pissed about this and Sony going forward. It sounds like they already got the whole behind-the-scenes stuff done and as such wasted a bunch of resources.

Top Bottom