• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony doesn't treat first party exclusive releases as events the way Microsoft does

flozuki

Huh, haven't really realized event character promo for Forza or Gears, where was it?

Last Guardian actually has some nice billboards and pretty good coverage by pewdiepie. More than enough for now if you ask me.

VbtcsdL.jpg

I0fxyEb.jpg

Just imagine Gravity Rush 2 ads like that :'(

vivekTO

Now you've got it

yeah but pizza rat is our mascot, so it's welcomed

So now you are proven right(in your own words), so where is the Live action Blur Studios launch trailer as microsoft used for there IPS.

Do they create a life size model of trico and displayed at the train station (look titanfall).

or are you saying billboards advertisement is now the "events" you are talking about earlier.
I am confused?

fvng

So now you are proven right(in your own words), so where is the Live action Blur Studios launch trailer as microsoft used for there IPS.

Do they create a life size model of trico and displayed at the train station (look titanfall).

or are you saying billboards advertisement is now the "events" you are talking about earlier.
I am confused?

Read the thread. I'm not saying they would mimic MS's campaign point for point, i'm talking about the scale of the campaign that brings more mainstream awareness to the game's release. which i'm 100% right on. :)

I am confused?

fvng is very happy about these billboards. Don't take that away from him.

vivekTO

Read the thread. I'm not saying they would mimic MS's campaign point for point, i'm talking about the scale of the campaign that brings more mainstream awareness to the game's release. which i'm 100% right on. :)

I did that , when last time it was active.

Lots of people also said that wait for the release date to come close , as we will get the Advertisement push once TLG date is finally fixed and gone gold.

I mean i don't want to further indulge in discussions , But this doesn't disapprove that TLG is not a niche game , they have to advertise it , as it is there only First Party Exclusive this fall, thats it.
and that is what people are arguing with you,niche part, not like TLG will not get any kind of marketing Push.

Just rubbing it in :)

the premise of vivekTO's is moot though, as seen above

:p

fvng

I did that , when last time it was active.

Lots of people also said that wait for the release date to come close , as we will get the Advertisement push once TLG date is finally fixed and gone gold.

I mean i don't want to further indulge in discussions , But this doesn't disapprove that TLG is not a niche game , they have to advertise it , as it is there only First Party Exclusive this fall, thats it.
and that is what people are arguing with you,niche part, not like TLG will not get any kind of marketing Push.

:p

What thread were you reading?

In this thread, "lots of people" (MOST) actually said that this game's appeal is too small to deserve a larger marketing campaign. That was the overwhelming consensus of the thread, not what you're disingenuously suggesting.

It absolutely disproves that it's not a niche game.

Sony doesn't have to advertise anything. Are they obligated to market gravity rush 2 on the scale that they are TLG? No. If not, then clearly TLG is not a game limited to niche appeal. They chose to use those marketing dollars for TLG, a game that has larger and wider appeal than everyone in this thread was willing to admit.

Nothing you're saying makes sense, and TLG is not their only first exclusive coming up in the near future. Where are you even coming from?

annnnd more photos. I can't think of any other thread in recent memory where armchair industry analysts here got it so wrong. I can't go a day in nyc without seeing a last guardian ad.

VbtcsdL.jpg

I0fxyEb.jpg
Advertising a niche puzzle game doesn't change that it's a niche puzzle game.

If anything, it shows that Sony continues to have weak holiday lineups and is willing to waste money on a game that doesn't merit it.

fvng

If anything, it shows that Sony continues to have weak holiday lineups and is willing to waste money on a game that doesn't merit it.

you cant grasp at straws that are already broken

it will be interesting if this game manage to outsell P5 3 to 1. mirror, mirror who's the nichest of them all?

but crazy talk aside, it would be awesome to see some Yakuza billboards like those from TLG

WTF?

edit: This must be sarcasm because I recognize you as being rational in the past.

At least in North America Sony's marketing team seems to have gone catatonic almost, very little buzz or PR or anything really about their first party games, PSVR, PS Pro, etc. Maybe its better in Europe and Japan, I dunno. While I have grumbled about Microsoft's cross play and buy stuff as it relates to windows and xbox, they seem at least extremely consistent and loud about everything they are doing whereas Sony puts stuff out and isn't really doing a good job at explaining why I want their new things.

Maybe its a combo of Mr. Hirai becoming the CEO, Shahid Ahmad and Adam Boyles leaving Playstation recently (and probably a few others), feels like their departures have left a gap in in certain areas.

I won't be happy until I walk into a Wal-Mart and see an endcap with Trico plastered on RC Cola boxes and bags of Rold Gold Pretzels. It's time to put that AAA marketing money to good use Sony. These billboards aren't enough.

WTF?

edit: This must be sarcasm because I recognize you as being rational in the past.
What's irrational is expecting anything impressive in sales for TLG.
you cant grasp at straws that are already broken
The contention I have made from the first day that we knew TLG was really still in development is that it's a niche game due for poor sales in a market that's long moved on from it.

The billboards change nothing about my sentiment.

RowdyReverb

At least in North America Sony's marketing team seems to have gone catatonic almost, very little buzz or PR or anything really about their first party games, PSVR, PS Pro, etc. Maybe its better in Europe and Japan, I dunno. While I have grumbled about Microsoft's cross play and buy stuff as it relates to windows and xbox, they seem at least extremely consistent and loud about everything they are doing whereas Sony puts stuff out and isn't really doing a good job at explaining why I want their new things.

Maybe its a combo of Mr. Hirai becoming the CEO, Shahid Ahmad and Adam Boyles leaving Playstation recently (and probably a few others), feels like their departures have left a gap in in certain areas.
It has been unusually light as of late. I really want to want the Pro, but somebody needs to sell me on the thing

jett

D-Member
Those billboards are kinda terrible, and lazy. They just slapped the (ugly) boxart in and called it a day.

This makes me so fucking happy. Depending on how Sony markets it, I think TLG could sell pretty decently. They even got PewdiePie to get a couple million people to look at it.
Hopefully PDP's gameplay will interest a few people. But he's not a guaranteed hit-maker. Until Dawn did well, but he didn't make it fly off shelves.

This makes me so fucking happy. Depending on how Sony markets it, I think TLG could sell pretty decently. They even got PewdiePie to get a couple million people to look at it.

Yeah, it can't hurt that almost 11 million people watched the Pewdiepie video. It won't guarantee a lot of extra sales, but raising awareness is helpful given that the game looks fantastic.

RowdyReverb

Why do you need to be sold on something you really want?
I'm on the fence. I want to want it, but I need a push. Some kind of sizzle reel or guarantee about future games. The checkerboard stuff is neat, but I want to know more about what it means for me as a 1080p TV owner. Maybe I'll just have to wait and see how things pan out

What's irrational is expecting anything impressive in sales for TLG.

The contention I have made from the first day that we knew TLG was really still in development is that it's a niche game due for poor sales in a market that's long moved on from it.

The billboards change nothing about my sentiment.

Who is expecting massive sales? Also what do you consider poor sales? Let's gets some hard numbers here.

heuheuehueheuehueheuehue

What a post.
It's not really funny. It's a recognition of the reality that is Sony's current release methodology. Saying their holiday lineup is weak isn't an indictment of the quality of games their first party developers put out. Rather, it's a recognition that they've taken the route of going after the blue ocean that is the other three quarters of the year rather than trying to engage in a Q4 bloodbath.
Who is expecting massive sales? Also what do you consider poor sales? Let's gets some hard numbers here.
You don't pay for billboard space in NYC unless you're expecting great things. I just disagree with the assessment that it merits that space.

Poor sales would probably be anything within the range of Ico or SotC.

fvng

Those billboards are kinda terrible, and lazy. They just slapped the (ugly) boxart in and called it a day.

A lot of NY billboards are a mess like that anyway.

Just getting one in NY is the point, doesn't need to be crazy fancy.

Exactly, my photo above is in Times Square on the Port Authority building. It's such a high traffic area. so many transients pass through this building. an insane amount of people will see it. Not just native New Yorkers.. Not to mention the fact that Times Square is the tourist trap/magnet that it is

I'm on the fence. I want to want it, but I need a push. Some kind of sizzle reel or guarantee about future games. The checkerboard stuff is neat, but I want to know more about what it means for me as a 1080p TV owner. Maybe I'll just have to wait and see how things pan out

I have no idea how many times people have to supersampling, more stable performance(framerate) as well as having other graphical improvements besides just resolution. If you are on Neogaf still saying just resolution or you don't know gthe benefits then you really aren't looking.

It's not really funny. It's a recognition of the reality that is Sony's current release methodology. Saying their holiday lineup is weak isn't an indictment of the quality of games their first party developers put out. Rather, it's a recognition that they've taken the route of going after the blue ocean that is the other three quarters of the year rather than trying to engage in a Q4 bloodbath.

You don't pay for billboard space in NYC unless you're expecting great things. I just disagree with the assessment that it merits that space.

Why do you even care about whether it is justified or not? The fact that more people get exposed to this niche game is nothing but a positive in my mind. I hope it is good game and sells well enough that Ueda and Sony will want to collaborate on another project soon. Anything else is not my concern. Finally without knowing how much this game cost to make your last sentence is based on whatt?

Why do you even care about whether it is justified or not? The fact that more people get exposed to this niche game is nothing but a positive in my mind. I hope it is good game and sells well enough that Ueda and Sony will want to collaborate on another project soon. Anything else is not my concern.
Because this is a thread talking about marketing? This isn't a TLG love-fest thread, it's a discussion about the industry. We're discussing whether or not Sony treats its projects with appropriate amount of advertising.

If you're not concerned about an industry discussion, maybe you should find another thread.

RowdyReverb

I have no idea how many times people have to supersampling, more stable performance(framerate) as well as having other graphical improvements besides just resolution. If you are on Neogaf still saying just resolution or you don't know gthe benefits then you really aren't looking.
I shouldn't have to look. That's the whole point of advertising. They need to present the info to me in something more substantial than a "lol retro" commercial.
I get that they are in the tough spot of hyping up the new machine without trashing the original in the process, but with 2 weeks to launch I'd expect to be coming across at least some YouTube adverts or something

Because this is a thread talking about marketing? This isn't a TLG love-fest thread, it's a discussion about the industry. We're discussing whether or not Sony treats its projects with appropriate amount of advertising.

If you're not concerned about an industry discussion, maybe you should find another thread.

No I think I'm in the right place. This topic was made with the premise that Sony does not give their game the kind of marketing push that Microsoft does and you have completely flipped the script saying this game does not deserve the marketing it is getting. And you can't justify your statement with any facts. Show me how this is a bad financial move by Sony. If you are going make the statement then be able to back it up. I'm waiting...

I shouldn't have to look. That's the whole point of advertising. They need to present the info to me in something more substantial than a "lol retro" commercial.
I get that they are in the tough spot of hyping up the new machine without trashing the original in the process, but with 2 weeks to launch I'd expect to be coming across at least some YouTube adverts or something

Are we discussing YOU as an individual or are you putting yourself in the shoes of the hypothetical average consumer? If we are indeed discussing your own personal knowledge then as a consumer if you are truly interested in purchasing a PS4 Pro you should be learning more about the product on your own regardless of how effectively Sony has marketed the product thus far. Are you just going to accept whatever they say and be sold by marketing? Do you not put any effort into researching the products that you buy?

So if The Last Guardian sells over 800k LTD in the US alone, like SotC, that's poor now? Huh.

I always find it funny how some people insist certain games are niche even if there's already proof out there that there is some mass appeal in those games (SotC in this case). The same thing happened to Bloodborne, it didn't matter that Dark Souls had sold over 2 million copies, it was niche and that was the end of the discussion.

silva1991

annnnd more photos. I can't think of any other thread in recent memory where armchair industry analysts here got it so wrong. I can't go a day in nyc without seeing a last guardian ad.

VbtcsdL.jpg

I0fxyEb.jpg

Woah.

Come on Sony now we only want TV ads, bundle and CG trailer ;)

Glad tp have you back fvng.

Top Bottom