• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony E3 2016 Press Conference: June 13 at 6 PM PT/ 9PM ET

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the guy an insider or are you people willing to believe anyone capitalizing R D R in that order?

Well, I dont know why you are questioning If I am willing to believe "anyone." I am not being gullible or wrapped up in E3 hype.

I have just been in this thread for a while and saw this post. So I have following all of Dragon Punch's posts in this thread and the Xbox One.

I've been cleared by Bish and I've discussed and shared things with a few members of the moderation staff. I'm clean.

Just to be clear - Enter the Dragon Punch had this info ready and vetted some time ago. He gets full credit.

Who knows if he is right, but he has been Bish approved.

RE6 was not received well by fans. MGS4 was.

If you want to look at big drop-offs going by fan reception, go from FFXIII > XIII-2 > LR. Cut in half every release in Japan.

Fan reception is going to hurt the game everywhere. Even in the West, the series isnt what it once was.

Let me clarify something: I'm not dead set on saying it will perform in Japan. I'm saying without it performing in Japan, it's not going to hit that 4 million mark.

Consoles are really weak in Japan, sure. But even in NA, the console market has shrunk.

PHOTOSHOP

CkyTXPmWkAAsr-B.jpg:large

you know whats dumb about this.
EVO is in 1 month and this game still doesnt have a console release date.
Tekken 7 is one of the main games at EVO. Only way to train in this game is to travel to majors or live in Japan and KOrea

Capcom basically a 2nd party developer now?

Basically. But they hold a plethora of franchises fans love, and 1st-party from all corners is willing to work with them to get them funded in some respect. Honestly, its a good position for Capcom to take advantage of while they get back on their feet.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Consoles are really weak in Japan, sure. But even in NA, the console market has shrunk.

Well, around the world it seems to be growing due to Sony pushing it around the world and in more territories at start compared to the PS2 and PS3 (which was pushed in SEA like mid-life).

The way I see it:
PS2 was big in Japan/US/EU, little to no support in the other markets
PS3 kinda shrunk in Japan/US/EU but Sony started marketing to the other markets more
PS4 shrunk more in Japan/US/EU but it has grown in the other markets

Hitta93

Banned
Basically. But they hold a plethora of franchises fans love, and 1st-party from all corners is willing to work with them to get them funded in some respect. Honestly, its a good position for Capcom to take advantage of while they get back on their feet.

No complaints, gives gamers reason to own both consoles.

samar11

RE7 exclusive is totally not cool. Don't do it Sony, backlash will be huge, bigger than Tomb Raider.

What if they are completely funding it? The backlash will not be bigger then Tomb Raider, are you fucking serious dude? That game started off on the PS, then it ended up as X1 exclusive, thats why the big backlash.

KingBroly

Banned

If Capcom can't fund their biggest IP anymore, they're not getting back on their feet.

KingBroly

Banned
What if they are completely funding it? The backlash will not be bigger then Tomb Raider, are you fucking serious dude? That game started off on the PS, then it ended up as X1 exclusive, thats why the big backlash.

If they were completely funding it, everything RE-related would be PS4 exclusive, including RE4-6, Rev 1 and 2. There'd be no point in putting those games on XB1.

what happened with Capcom that they have so little money that they can't develop projects by themselves anymore? Monster Hunter is a huge money maker with cheap costs because they're handheld titles. and while RE have their haters within fans, they have steady output and I assume most of them are at least break even or making some profits.

I can't seem to recall a huge financial bomb by Capcom that lead them to such state. I think Squenix have bigger bomb than Capcom last gen and they still greenlighting projects left and right on their own.

the only thing I seem to recall is Capcom investing quite a bit of money for their mobile games division. is that a huge failure that left Capcom in this state?

wapplew

Capcom basically a 2nd party developer now?

When the hell Capcom turned into this situation?
They were awesome last gen, MT frame work was solid engine, release bunch of great titles and new IPs, revived fighting games and they can't fund their own IP?

Freeman76

Seems like everything has been revealed/leaked already! The only thing i was really hoping for was red dead info, seems i will be dissapointed lol.

Wagram

I'll echo sentiment that a console exclusive Resident Evil 7 is totally not cool. It wasn't with Tomb Raider and it wouldn't be with this.

If Capcom can't fund their biggest IP anymore, they're not getting back on their feet.

Eh. Thats just silly. They are in a strong negotiating position & they are taking advantage of that fact. Fans want their games & IP. They are willing to let 1st party fund development for those titles in exchange for exclusivity. Capcom then gets software they can turn around & sell on PC as well.

This is a really strong business move for them in the console space. Especially as they keep self-funding their own expensive experiments into mobile.

Could Capcom have funded Dead Rising 4 & released it on X1, PS4 & PC? Absolutely, no doubt about it. But they know that the primary audience for that franchise is on Xbox, so why not let MS fund that game if MS knows its a series their fans want?

KingBroly

Banned
what happened with Capcom that they have so little money that they can't develop projects by themselves anymore? Monster Hunter is a huge money maker with cheap costs because they're handheld titles. and while RE have their haters within fans, they have steady output and I assume most of them are at least break even or making some profits.

I can't seem to recall a huge financial bomb by Capcom that lead them to such state. I think Squenix have bigger bomb than Capcom last gen and they still greenlighting projects left and right on their own.

the only thing I seem to recall is Capcom investing quite a bit of money for their mobile games division. is that a huge failure that left Capcom in this state?

Well...
They funded LP2 and 3. Both bombed BIG.

The money they invested into mobile (from MH money) also didn't amount to anything.

And then you have all these cancelled projects and massive engine delays.

It's not just one thing with Capcom. It's a lot of medium things.

I'll echo sentiment that a console exclusive Resident Evil 7 is totally not cool. It wasn't with Tomb Raider and it wouldn't be with this.

I've stopped caring. I'm not buying multiple consoles anymore. I've moved over to digital and expect our libraries to follow us going forward. Companies need to be sure to release titles where their audience is. If they choose to release exclusives, they have to deal with the results, good or bad.

Donthizz#

I'm totally out of the loop. Does it seem like anything will come of that Spider-Man rumor or was that all bullshit?

Sony and Marvel made that Spidey deal beginning of last year iirc, so if the rumor is true it's way too early to show a game that's been in development for little over than a year.

- J - D -

I'm totally out of the loop. Does it seem like anything will come of that Spider-Man rumor or was that all bullshit?

This is what I wanna know too.

It's the perfect time for a new Spider-Man game. The thought of him actually engenders good will as of late, which is a new feeling unless you really loved Doc Ock Spidey.

KingBroly

Banned
Eh. Thats just silly. They are in a strong negotiating position & they are taking advantage of that fact. Fans want their games & IP. They are willing to let 1st party fund development for those titles in exchange for exclusivity. Capcom then gets software they can turn around & sell on PC as well.

This is a really strong business move for them in the console space. Especially as they keep self-funding their own expensive experiments into mobile.

Could Capcom have funded Dead Rising 4 & released it on X1, PS4 & PC? Absolutely, no doubt about it. But they know that the primary audience for that franchise is on Xbox, so why not let MS fund that game if MS knows its a series their fans want?

They're not in a strong position at all. A strong position would mean them not having to rely on others for their lights to stay on, which is where they are now. If they cannot fund their most successful franchise, Capcom is in MAJOR trouble, much more than anyone thinks. Why? Because it means everything new has to be funded by outside parties. That only works for so long.

At some point the money's gonna run out.

wapplew

We have actor leaks start the whole thing, then everyone think Sucker punch will be the developer, then it get debunk by couple insider, then Insomniac rumor come in.
Could totally be a VR experience thou, better keep expectation check.

The failed mobile development division, RE6 disappointing, SF x T flopping really hard - these all sorta came right around the same time as one another. Monster Hunter does real well for them, make no mistake about that. I think MHX did something to the effect of 4 million as of the beginning of this year? Yeah, MH is big for them.

At their lowest point, Capcom placed itself into a business position where they could've potentially been bought out. Since then, they've focused on excepting funded development deals for their projects or IP for 1st party, continued focusing on MH alongside Nintendo while also signing deals with the other 1st party.

Capcom is only pulling this off because they hold the keys to very valuable franchises to key markets that 1st-party likes to court to their platforms. Notice that no deals are being signed for a new IP from Capcom. As for why they'll continue doing this - well, honestly, there is no reason not to. Some of Capcom's most profitable era's were during phases where some form of co-publishing between them & the platform owner was being conducted. Its heavily mitigating risk on their end.
They're not in a strong position at all. A strong position would mean them not having to rely on others for their lights to stay on, which is where they are now. If they cannot fund their most successful franchise, Capcom is in MAJOR trouble, much more than anyone thinks. Why? Because it means everything new has to be funded by outside parties. That only works for so long.

At some point the money's gonna run out.

Dude, you need to look into Capcom before you keep making yourself look silly as to their actual financial situation. They posted profits across the board last fiscal year. They are up 15% minimum in every sector, and are looking to further increase their digital portfolio specifically because its done so well this year, meaning they are going to focus less on retail releases. All of this is because of their increased business practices that mitigate risk (i.e. - signing development deals with 1st party publishers, selling digital titles), as well as peddling their old library across any digital store that can support them.

if this were two or three years ago, when Capcom had basically put itself up for sale (potentially), then yes, i'd whole heartedly agree with you. But they are doing 'ok' now. Is it the best they've ever done? No, absolutely not. But they have definitely recovered, and its thanks specifically to low-risk business partnerships they've developed with 1st party publishers. A strong position does not have to be defined as a publisher being able to wholly fund & release their own projects. There are plenty of ways to sustain a business that don't involve gambling everything on your latest major retail release. In fact, Capcom's current development/partnership method is almost an exact replica of how game's publishing worked in the 90s/early 2000s. It works for them & their business.

Although I see where you're coming from as in Resident Evil now being firmly entrenched as a multiplatform franchise, the two deals would not really be equivalent. If Sony is paying for development then that's different to Microsoft stepping in well after development has started as with Tomb Raider.

But this debate has been going in circles since Street Fighter 5 so we should probably not carry on too much about that. :p

Neonep

They were awesome last gen, MT frame work was solid engine, release bunch of great titles and new IPs, revived fighting games and they can't fund their own IP?
They were good at the beginning of last gen but when they decided to pour profits into mobile games and started outsourcing things when downhill.

KingBroly

Banned
Although I see where you're coming from as in Resident Evil now being firmly entrenched as a multiplatform franchise, the two deals would not really be equivalent. If Sony is paying for development then that's different to Microsoft stepping in well after development has started as with Tomb Raider.

But this debate has been going in circles since Street Fighter 5 so we should probably not carry on too much about that. :p

If RE7 was fully funded by Sony and forever exclusive, I think we would've known about it already. Plus all the RE games would've been on PS4 only, not multiplatform. There'd be zero point in putting them on both. You say it'd be like SF5, well USF4 was PS4 only too because of said exclusivity deal. It just doesn't add up here.

Also, an exclusivity announcement of RE7 for PS4 is going to absolutely DESTROY any RE4/5 sales potential on XBO.

Well, I dont know why you are questioning If I am willing to believe "anyone." I am not being gullible or wrapped up in E3 hype.

I have just been in this thread for a while and saw this post. So I have following all of Dragon Punch's posts in this thread and the Xbox One.

Who knows if he is right, but he has been Bish approved.

It's the final countdown until the big conferences and as usual the place is riddled with rumors and / or elaborate "leaks". It's gotten to the point where I don't even trust verified "leakers" since they've been wrong in the past anyway

Hitta93

Banned

Not too different from what Insomniac has done this gen.

Elfstruck

If RE7 was fully funded by Sony and forever exclusive, I think we would've known about it already. Plus all the RE games would've been on PS4 only, not multiplatform. There'd be zero point in putting them on both. You say it'd be like SF5, well USF4 was PS4 only too because of said exclusivity deal. It just doesn't add up here.

Also, an exclusivity announcement of RE7 for PS4 is going to absolutely DESTROY any RE4/5 sales potential on XBO.

Assuming the sale is substantial on XBO in the first place.

KingBroly

Banned
Assuming the sale is substantial on XBO in the first place.

Yes. If it weren't, they wouldn't be putting them out on XBO, and at retail in the US no less.

What does releasing another game have to do with the sales of the others. Every game has a different story.

They're hype builders, basically. If there's no Shiny Gold thing at the end of this breadcrumb trail, people are gonna stop buying em.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom