• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony E3 2016 Press Conference: June 13 at 6 PM PT/ 9PM ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Agreed.

Honestly, I see March 2017 written all over it.

I still believe in Hurst though.

My only real concern (there, I used the word) is the writing. I see Guerilla as Sony's Crytech. I'm hoping those writers they brought in take complete control of the narrative and don't end up just fleshing out the side missions.

SamNW

I certainly hope we don't see Horizon until next spring. March would be perfect. An extra four months of polish can do wonders for a game.

I don't expect to see Sucker Punch, though. I think there's a chance if the Spider-Man rumors are true and they want to hit next summer to go with the new Spider-Man film. But Sony already has so much to talk about and Sucker Punch was not very far along in the production process a few months ago.

My only real concern (there, I used the word) is the writing. I see Guerilla as Sony's Crytech. I'm hoping those writers they brought in take complete control of the narrative and don't end up just fleshing out the side missions.
This will be my first Guerrilla Game game (I don't do FPSs) so this is their chance to grab me with their writing. I think the premise gives them a lot to work with. It is just matter of getting it right.

SamNW

If you liked the writing in New Vegas—and I think that's a legitimate "if"—you should feel pretty confident about the writing in Horizon. Gonzalez was the lead writer on the former, and almost certainly did not leave Obsidian to "flesh out side missions" or play second fiddle at Guerilla. There will be other cooks in the kitchen, no doubt, but I'm certain that he's the lead.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
This will be my first Guerrilla Game game (I don't do FPSs) so this is their chance to grab me with their writing. I think the premise gives them a lot to work with. It is just matter of getting it right.

I'm the same. The only FPS I've ever liked is Borderlands 2. I swapped GTA5 for it.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
If you liked the writing in New Vegas—and I think that's a legitimate "if"—you should feel pretty confident about the writing in Horizon. Gonzalez was the lead writer on the former, and almost certainly did not leave Obsidian to "flesh out side missions" or play second fiddle at Guerilla. There will be other cooks in the kitchen, no doubt, but I'm sure that he's the lead.

They also have the writer of the Baron side mission in the Witcher 3. I'm not 'too' worried but it's definitely something they need to raise the bar with. Have a word with ND and while they're at it, bring over their AA solution.

SamNW

They also have the writer of the Baron side mission in the Witcher 3. I'm not 'too' worried but it's definitely something they need to raise the bar with. Have a word with ND and while they're at it, bring over their AA solution.

For what it's worth (and that's probably not all that much), Zoetebier didn't actually do much for the Bloody Baron questline. From his LinkedIn profile:

'The Bloody Baron'

ONLY the part with the objective to find the Bloody Baron and get into his village. The rest of this quest was designed by Paweł Sasko
https://www.linkedin.com/pub/paweł-sasko/31/802/9a4

Unless you're talking about someone else, which would be really cool!

I don't know how to feel about that to be honest. I need to see it first.

Would you be excited if it's basically Spider-Man in the style of InFamous? Personally, I have very little interest in that.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
For what it's worth (and that's probably not all that much), Zoetebier didn't actually do much for the Bloody Baron questline. From his LinkedIn profile:

Unless you're talking about someone else, which would be really cool!

Would you be excited if it's basically Spider-Man in the style of InFamous? Personally, I have very little interest in that.

It's tough to tell now. I remember reading a list of the quests the person I'm referring to wrote but I can't remember his name so a search won't help. I'm going into the Spiderman game with an open mind. I haven't really thought about how they'd do it.

Kouichi

If Sucker Punch is making Spider-man, it will be the greatest Spider-man game ever. Fucking guaranteed.

I'm excited for whatever they're making though. No matter what it is, a Sucker Punch game will hype me up more than anything. But a Spider-man game will be a dream come true.

Honestly, any comic book property I like by Sucker Punch would be a dream come true.

Shredderi

Not for me at least. My dislike for the idea of SuckerPunch's game being Spider-Man is because nothing about the character and his usual rogue's gallery manages to pull me in. To me Spider-Man is on par with Superman in how "interesting" he is. So even the Infamous style gameplay wouldn't save it for me. I want new exciting worlds and settings from SuckerPunch. The Spider-Man game rumour being true would be one of the biggest disappointments in a few years for me, but alas, we don't always get to have what we want. I just hope that SuckerPunch doesn't become a Spider-man factory. That would fucking suck.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
If Sucker Punch is making Spider-man, it will be the greatest Spider-man game ever. Fucking guaranteed.

I'm excited for whatever they're making though. No matter what it is, a Sucker Punch game will hype me up more than anything. But a Spider-man game will be a dream come true.

What supervillains are associated with Spiderman? Or, more to the point, what supervillains that have minions are associated with Spiderman?

Zukkoyaki

We need a new rumor or tease. This thread is going in circles haha

One thing I'd like to comment on is the fact that Destiny is revealing its new expansion next week. Does that mean a minor presence at Sony's conference? I know GAF would love that.

Kyrios

One thing I'd like to comment on is the fact that Destiny is revealing its new expansion next week. Does that mean a minor presence at Sony's conference? I know GAF would love that.

I'm thinking just a trailer.

SamNW

Not for me at least. My dislike for the idea of SuckerPunch's game being Spider-Man is because nothing about the character and his usual rogue's gallery manages to pull me in. To me Spider-Man is on par with Superman in how "interesting" he is. So even the Infamous style gameplay wouldn't save it for me. I want new exciting worlds and settings from SuckerPunch. The Spider-Man game rumour being true would be one of the biggest disappointments in a few years for me, but alas, we don't always get to have what we want. I just hope that SuckerPunch doesn't become a Spider-man factory. That would fucking suck.

I'm very much on the same page with you. And it seems that's a minority opinion, but I'd really like to see new IP from them instead. InFamous was never really my cup of tea, but Sucker Punch is no doubt an incredibly talented developer. The idea of more superhero games (I know that's reductive) from them disappoints me, personally.

On the other hand, given their pedigree, I think they could make an incredible Spider-Man game. That's just not really a game I want.

I am still expecting a decent amount of time being spent on it. Destiny is a big deal.

SamNW

I suspect it means less time, but Destiny will still have some presence on Sony's stage. Since Rise of Iron is getting a full reveal before E3, I expect a short reiteration and maybe (maybe...) a quick Destiny 2 teaser at the press conference.

farisr

What supervillains are associated with Spiderman? Or, more to the point, what supervillains that have minions are associated with Spiderman?
The easiest ways to have a villain/supervillain with minions that come into play is to have the Kingpin be the mastermind/pulling the strings with tons of people in his employ and he could bring other supervillains to be on his side as well. Another option would be Osborne/Green Goblin with private security/advanced tech. Or Doc Ock himself with tech based enemies. I'm sure there are other possibilities I haven't considered with other villains.

There are tons of supervillains assosciated with spiderman, and imo Spiderman has the best rogues gallery after Batman. Here are the notable ones that I can remember: (* means they eventually reform/work on his side):

Venom
Kingpin
Carnage
Doctor Octopus
Green/Hob Goblin
Lizard
Sandman
Mysterio
Electro
Vulture
Shocker
Kraven
Morbius
Black Cat*
Punisher*

But yeah, Spiderman isn't just about Spiderman only going up against a supervillain and their minions. He deals with problems all around the city and that is one aspect SP would really need to focus on (if they're making it) in order to make a good Spiderman game. inFAMOUS 2 was improved over inFAMOUS 1 in this aspect. But Second Son was a step down in general overall, probably due to them having to release the game so close to the launch of the system.

Shredderi

I'm very much on the same page with you. And it seems that's a minority opinion, but I'd really like to see new IP from them instead. InFamous was never really my cup of tea, but Sucker Punch is no doubt an incredibly talented developer. The idea of more superhero games (I know that's reductive) from them disappoints me, personally.

On the other hand, given their pedigree, I think they could make an incredible Spider-Man game. That's just not really a game I want.

Yes, exactly. I believe that if they were to do a Spider-Man game, they would do it a lot of justice. I just don't care at all for the franchise. I don't hate the franchise either but I just don't want one of my favourite devs "wasting" (in my perspective) 3 years on a game I have no interest in.

ZarKryn7

Tombstone, kingpin, mysterio probably could. Doc ock could whip up some bots.

But yeah, I don't how severe SP's layoff was, but if it was severe and if this rumor NerdLeaks started is true, this could probably help SP out big time.

Liamc723

Why would GAF love that when a lot of us like the game?

Yes, exactly. I believe that if they were to do a Spider-Man game, they would do it a lot of justice. I just don't care at all for the franchise. I don't hate the franchise either but I just don't want one of my favourite devs "wasting" (in my perspective) 3 years on a game I have no interest in.

I'm not a Spider-Man fan either, but I think it would be amazing fun to play. It's not exactly like story-telling is their strength, and I have no faith in them coming up with a The Last of Us overnight, so why not give them the keys to a franchise where all of the lore and characters are determined, and they can go nuts coming up with actual fun gameplay.

God knows it's been a long time since Spider-Man got a good game.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
The easiest ways to have a villain/supervillain with minions that come into play is to have the Kingpin be the mastermind/pulling the strings with tons of people in his employ and he could bring other supervillains to be on his side as well. Another option would be Osborne/Green Goblin with private security/advanced tech. Or Doc Ock himself with tech based enemies. I'm sure there are other possibilities I haven't considered with other villains.

There are tons of supervillains assosciated with spiderman, and imo Spiderman has the best rogues gallery after Batman. Here are the notable ones that I can remember: (* means they eventually reform/work on his side):

Venom
Kingpin
Carnage
Doctor Octopus
Green/Hob Goblin
Lizard
Sandman
Mysterio
Electro
Vulture
Shocker
Kraven
Morbius
Black Cat*
Punisher*

Thanks. So there's plenty of possibilities there given the rumours are true. If they're not then I really hope they don't use the same protagonist for an Infamous game again.

kevin1025

Banned
I'm hoping they do a big indie game release date/announcement explosion on the blog sometime next week, if I'm not mistaken they did that before E3 last year.

Dinjooh

giphy.gif

Zukkoyaki

Why would GAF love that when a lot of us like the game?
Because GAF has two commandments:

"That which does not appeal to me is garbage."

And...

"Only that which is made by From Software or Platinum Games may receive the label of good."

;)

But seriously, there's a lot on here that deplore the game, just check out the thread about Screw Attack's "Top 10 Hyped Games That Sucked." also pretty much anything multiplatform on Sony or Microsoft's stage receives a lukewarm at best welcome.

If shenmue 3 is still not in a state to show more I wonder if they announce a remaster for 1 and 2 now. Even if they are still a while out they can probably do it. Sort of like when they announce those Double Fine remasters a year before release for some reason/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom