• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony GamesCom Press Conference Thread

Grecco

daCuk said:
If PS3 is $299 and X360 Elite gets to $299 or less, Nintendo WILL HAVE to make a move (Wii at $199 or $249 with extra bundled games)

The Wii has been beating a $199 Xbox arcade already. I really dont think Nintendo cares.

panda21

sn00zer said:
Real important question with the PS3.
If I hook up a PS3 to my 1680*1050 monitor, will the image stretch or will i get (more preferred) black bars with the correct ratio?

i think it depends on the monitor? some might even have an option. which monitor is it?

i think mine stretches it but in 720p it is not at all noticeable.

FFChris

Grecco said:
Eh, all the hype going into this has been that it was supposed to be a big event. Now its not?

Hype for GamesCom? Must have missed it. This is hardly a TGS or E3 event though, I haven't even heard about it before this year. Regardless, for me (not a PS3 owner yet) these are pretty big announcements, especially the drop in price.

Busty

Banned
bishoptl said:
wooo cleanup on aisles 3, 5 and 14

420x423.aspx

:lol :lol :lol ...perfect.

Repent while ye' still can.

For the Bish tolls for thee.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
stuburns said:
This is a strange move, isn't it one of the reasons hackers don't care about the PS3's OS? Maybe Sony want piracy.

I ran Linux and my PS3 and it wasn't great. As a console it's great but as a Linux machine, it's slow as hell. Really. It's a painful experience.

the Stiq of Joy has a gallery up, and maybe it's just me but I am NOT seeing a HDD trapdoor...

Also... this was partially answered already, but if I want to upgrade to the slim I'm basically screwed on locked save files (Burnout being one of the games that locks down their saves, for example)?

I want a slim but not bad enough to lose all the progress I've made in 1/2 my games. FIX IT SONY.

matticus

MightyHedgehog said:
Your logic positively fails when the vast, vast majority of all console purchases occur below the $200 mark for every generation. Most people won't bite on this so I don't see how you think you're okay with telling someone to get a new hobby because they are only falling in line with the majority.

Bitter tears are bitter

jeanRicK

Brazil said:
"Removal of “Install Other OS” feature
The new PS3 system will focus on delivering games and other entertainment content, and users will not be able to install other Operating Systems to the new PS3 system.
Along with a vast line-up of attractive and exciting entertainment content with the new PS3 system, SCE will continue to further expand the PS3 platform and create a new world of computer entertainment."

uh..... wht? where does this fit in "it has all the features of the fat"?

This better not be so.... :(

theluma

drmcclin said:
the Stiq of Joy has a gallery up, and maybe it's just me but I am NOT seeing a HDD trapdoor...

Also... this was partially answered already, but if I want to upgrade to the slim I'm basically screwed on locked save files (Burnout being one of the games that locks down their saves, for example)?

I want a slim but not bad enough to lose all the progress I've made in 1/2 my games. FIX IT SONY.

THIS.

I would have sold my PS3 by now if they had announced the removal of locked saves.

Oli

On topic, good to see Sony taking the plunge. PS3 is very affordable now.

I know this is off topic - but should I wait until tomorrow to buy a 360 since MS is having a conference at GamesCom also? Please don't lash out at me Sony fans, I couldn't find a GamesCom thread and didn't want to start a new one. :(

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
jeanRicK said:
uh..... wht? where does this fit in "it has all the features of the fat"?

This better not be so.... :(

It's hardly a must have feature for a games console.

drmcclin said:
I believe it's on the front, lower-right, where all the logos are.

drmcclin said:

Sadly, yes. Some devs have updated their games to unlock saves after enough people bitched about it. You could try it.

Ettie

Thank you Sony. Very good conference. Lots of stuff to love, right down to the turquoise PSP3k.

As soon as BC is finalized, or I finish my PS2 backlog, this goes to the top of my shopping list.

What is the added functionality of a linux PS3? Why do it, what are we losing?

Also, thank Bish for Bish. :lol :lol

tak

cyberheater said:
I ran Linux and my PS3 and it wasn't great. As a console it's great but as a Linux machine, it's slow as hell. Really. It's a painful experience.
Memory is the main problem. It's a problem with all consoles trying to run a normal OS like Linux or Windows. To bad the console makers don't allow you to upgrade their memory. :p

cyberheater

tak said:
Memory is the main problem. It's a problem with all consoles trying to run a normal OS like Linux or Windows. To bad the console makers don't allow you to upgrade their memory. :p

Yep and the fact that none of the binaries really had support to use the cell properly. They basically totally ignored the SPU's and the gimped framebuffer -> hypervisor -> RSX pipeline didn't help.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
tak said:

I was under the impression that linux on the PS3 only used the cell processor and did not use the graphics chip. Because of the way the chip is built it doesn't make a great general-purpose processor, and the fact that it has to handle everything just adds to the difficulty of it running an entire OS.

Ok, I dont own a 360 so I may be out of the loop, however, is the Elite getting read to drop too? I notice it is $399.

And I would assume Sony Marketing is making a comparison pamphlet right now with the PS3 and Elite. I mean, built in wireless, BluRay, AWESOME!!

I know Sony has made these before, but the PS3 always had that ridiculous price tag over it. This price is incredible.

tak

Nerevar said:
I was under the impression that linux on the PS3 only used the cell processor and did not use the graphics chip. Because of the way the chip is built it doesn't make a great general-purpose processor, and the fact that it has to handle everything just adds to the difficulty of it running an entire OS.
You might be right about that. I've only messed around with my friends Linux install briefly, and when I was playing around with it seem like the memory was maxing out more then the cpu usage for browsing around on the web and other basic things.

Another thing:

Where the hell are the millions of vent holes? I don't see a single one... I know these things are probably sporting the smaller Cell + RSX chips but damn!

You guys are crazy the new design is fu#$ awesome:

3833593107_579fa1b592_b.jpg

3834387256_217fa5a6e3_b.jpg

I was going to finally pick up a wii but it looks like I am double dipping the ps3.
I have become a sad sad man.

jax (old)

Banned
Tompouss said:
Sony conference :

oldPlaneCrashFire.gif

this juniors post history is a bunch of animated gif/pic postings? .... mmm don't let him back in!

I'd like a breakdown of where the cost of the PS3 ---> slim went. Damn, this is what should have launched. It would have wiped the next gen console floor.

Top Bottom