• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony GamesCom Press Conference Thread

Busty said:
But doesn't that just imply that it ships with a HDD inside it rather than sealed in it?

"..if you look at how far playstation 3 has come, features, in terms of the great games being offered and to understand that's being done with half the original price with 120gb hard drive being built in.."

IDK. maybe i heard it wrong. but looking at the PR it doesn't mention anything about HDD not being able to be swapped.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
So conflicted right now. I imagine there will be some people trading in their BC PS3's and i was going to pick one up on the cheap since mine broke and i got an 80GB in return but the slim is so damn tempting.

DMPrince said:
Jack Tretton just said the new slim has a built-in HDD.
Built-in doesn't necessarily mean non-removable. The phat has a "built-in" hard drive. I think he was just making a jab at the Wii/Arcade360.

I think the new design is fine, and I actually like real buttons vs the "magic" ones BUT....

they made it WAYYYYY too deep. It's like they took the upper half off and stuck it on the back. Kinda silly looking.

jax (old)

Banned
120gb is quite hefty. I'm on a 250gb in my ps3 and its not really even half full. My media is on my pc (streamed - as is the music). and I do own a few games. The new system is quite wonderful

I will buy one as a second/backup bluray player :D

Diagol

Egmont said:
I'm not seeing Wifi on any of those lists of features.

Should I assume it's in there, or what? Anyone know?

It's in there. Look at the system from the front. One is the HDD access indicator light, and the other one is the WiFi.

It's also in the official press release.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
5vakbo.jpg

2czq3xh.jpg

tiong_fi

GG Sony, PS3 Slim is actually more expensive than the current model here in Finland. (PS3 Slim RRP 359 euros, currently 329 euros)

gcubed

tanod said:
:\ External power supply confirmed

doubt it, it looks like the older ps2 style power connector, with such a reduced power draw it doesnt need the same kind of cable.

if it was external it wouldnt have that kind of plug

Carlisle

Concurrently with the release of the new PS3 system, SCE will modify the PS3 brand name from “PLAYSTATION 3” to “PlayStation 3”, and introduce a new “ ” logo, which is engraved on the surface of the new PS3 system. By unifying under the familiar “PlayStation®” name, which represents the entire PlayStation family, PS3 together with PlayStation®2 and PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) will further expand the PlayStation business, and will continue to enhance the entertainment experience along with the ever-growing PlayStation®Network.

1 logo future for Sony? I hope they'll amend the logos on future game cases so that, even if there must be 3 of them, they'll all be the same font.

hc2

It just doesn't seem right that a regular game console with blue ray and high definition is $50 cheaper than a hand held gaming device from the same manufacturer. Kind of defies logic.

Fedos

Wow I'm simply amazed. Bravo Sony, good show. I didn't think they'd drop the price to $299 (I thought it would be $350) but now that they did I gotta say, I think Microsoft should be a bit worried. And this is me saying this with a preference towards the 360 (I got a PS3 in April). Heck, maybe even Nintendo should be a bit worried, especially with their lagging sales as of late. Sony just made this the most competetive gen ever.

Egmont

Neo Member
ps3-slim-10.jpg

That plug looks like the same plug that goes from the wall to my PS2 Slim's AC Adapter. Looks like there's no power brick?

gcubed

cjdunn said:
Any info about the stand necessary to have it vertical?

did the ps2's come with the stand after the redesign or did you have to buy them? (just curious)

and yup egmont, that confirms its not a power brick, nice catch

PS3_Slim_4.jpg

from the leak. Looks like it is HDD tray after all. I'd like confirmation on whether this thing is running the smaller RSX as well as the smaller Cell found in the newer 80GBs

Kibbles

It looks alright laying down. Standing up it looks hideous. Also, what deserved that backwards plane gif? I missed the past hour and a half or so. By the way, that gif is not cool, not funny in any way. I don't know what's going on there, but fuck you poster.

Also, any missing features/added features for the Slim?

tak

DrFunk said:
I dunno, "built in" normally means "soldiered onto motherboard, and can't be removed"

hope not though
I've never seen an entertainment device soldier something like a HD to the mainboard. I've seen it occur in a few mobile devices, but I've never seen it occur for something meant for the home. Normally if there is a step they can remove from the manufacturing line they remove it. Even if they did soldier it down or glue it, it can be removed, it's just a little harder.

The only thing that will probably stop HD upgrades is if the new mainboard has a chipset that limits HD size or type or if Sony does something tricky with the software like Microsoft.

gcubed

drmcclin said:
PS3_Slim_4.jpg

from the leak. Looks like it is HDD tray after all. I'd like confirmation on whether this thing is running the smaller RSX as well as the smaller Cell found in the newer 80GBs

its running a smaller cell then in the newer 80's. This will have the 45nm in it.

Einbroch

Banned
If Final Fantasy XIII had remained a PS3 exclusive, no doubt the PSlim3 would be day one for me.

Not to take anything away from a great show! As a 360 fan, I can tell Sony is really stepping up their game.

eznark

Banned
Just got in from mowing the lawn. $300 and slimmer? I'll be picking up a second PS3 I think.

Any mention of backwards compatibility?

TheExodu5

Banned
Egmont said:
ps3-slim-10.jpg

That plug looks like the same plug that goes from the wall to my PS2 Slim's AC Adapter. Looks like there's no power brick?

The console and plastic actually look really good from that shot.

Going to have to see this thing in person to fully comment. I'm not a fan of the dimensions, but we'll see.

Pristine_Condition said:
No it doesn't AT ALL.

If it was external, it wouldn't say "AC in," would it? It would say "DC in," wouldn't it?

Fantastic point. :lol

gcubed

eznark said:
Just got in from mowing the lawn. $300 and slimmer? I'll be picking up a second PS3 I think.

Any mention of backwards compatibility?

negative. "same features as currently model" ie. you are shit out of luck eznark

WinFonda

So I guess can we expect the ad campaign to launch soon?

And since Sony has re-branded a lot of the fonts and such, what does that mean for unreleased PS3 game cases / cover arts that use Spidey PS3 font? Will they all get an overhaul like EyePet?

There's probably a strong argument to be made to keep them the same though, so as to not create confusion at retail.

oops. kinda wrong thread

Top Bottom