• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony is looking to make even more studio acquisitions ahead of PS5

bitbydeath

As part of its latest earnings call, where it also announced that the PlayStation 4 is now the second best-selling home console of all time, the hardware manufacturer said that it will "continue to pursue growth investment opportunities to enhance content IP". In other words, Sony is in talks with more studios in order to bolster its first-party line-up that little bit more.

Dargor

I care more about IPs, as I said before in other threads about sony buying studios. Hope they go for studios that have some interesting ones.

Reactions: TLZ

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Lol, no they are not, this is just somones speculation.

Could just mean they are investing more overall, does not mean they are buying more devs.

Clickbait trash.

Last edited:

zeorhymer

Where's the post that Sony isn't capitalizing on acquiring studios unlike how Microsoft is buying left and right?

Clickbait fluff. No news, just a Trojan horse to gin up traffic.
That said, please save Remedy. And it seems evident Sony will be making overtures to Kojima in the near future.

It's not so much the number of studios I'm interested to see Sony acquire for the PlayStation brand but rather a greater variety of exclusives to play. I want to see more Japanese developed exclusives such as Dark Cloud, Siren, Xenogears etc.

Last edited:
Remedy Games acquisition incoming
hhh.png

SS501

Neo Member
This is a delicate matter and Sony should be careful on where and when they will invest. With how long development cycles have become and how bloated budgets are nowadays, it's risky as hell to just buy studios left and right, especially if they're aiming for AAA studios or even AA.
There is no guarantee that all existing studios they own will keep churning out success after success like they mostly did in the PS4 gen (even in the ps4 gen they had some failures like the order, driveclub and infamous SS to a lesser extend), so just imagine what would happen if 2 or 3 of those big budget games don't make their money back. Could lead to another 2005 ~ 2010 Microsoft shutting down studios one after another.

Pallas

Did the author of that article take that quote out of context? It doesn’t exactly mean they will acquire more studios, but growth is always good.

Reactions: Isa

twdnewh_k

I selfishly would prefer them not to, as that would potentially mean less games on PC; but I feel it's a must for them to counter MS's buying spree.

diffusionx

Gold Member
That article is clickbait garbage. The phrase "continue to pursue growth investment opportunities to enhance content IP" does not mean buying more studios necessarily. Drawing a line from that sentence to talking to studios for acquisition is ridiculous. It could mean cutting deals with independent studios for stuff like Until Dawn. It could mean staffing up studios they have like Guerrilla or Insomniac. It could mean anything, really.

hunthunt

Banned
Pretty sure they have something really advanced with Remedy.

Oh and that article is the paradigm of clickbait.

Ryu Kaiba

I want Bluepoint continue doing remakes of other studios games, don't think I want Sony to buy them but they seem like an eligible bachelor

Kojima Productions, Sony pretty much built that studio their first games running on decima and being funded and published by Sony I don't think Kojima is going anywhere.

Dodge Remedy, I know some people really liked Contol but I also know it didn't sell very well. They haven't made anything super appealing since Alan Wake.

From Software, my god the megaton drop of a story that would be.

FranXico

This probably is where the speculation is coming from:
Totoki-san also talked briefly about the acquisition of Insomniac Games, menyioning that it will contribute to further enhance Sony’s first-party software development organization.

Interestingly, he added that going forward Sony will “continue to pursue growth investment opportunities that will enhance its content IP,” possibly hinting to further acquisitions.
So, it seems there might be something to it.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I don't like exclusivity but the truth is, studios need this money to make games like god of war or uncharted and I like those games

Hostile_18

Banned
I don't like exclusivity but the truth is, studios need this money to make games like god of war or uncharted and I like those games

Also you can bet if God of War, Horizon, Uncharted etc were published by another publisher monetization would be far worse.

Ar¢tos

Bluepoint would be a good acquisition. They work mostly for Sony already and Sony has a lot of IPs worth reviving (either by remaking or re-imagining).

Top Bottom