• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony is really pushing Horizon!

There is a preview event set for this week, today some of the european press moved to Amsterdam
Articles are coming next week ( need confirmation for january 30th or if i've misread things )

So is this like Zelda but not shit?
P2iBGjs.gif

Man, climbing that thing made people really concerned.

This is an RPG that plays like an action game. Hermen said that.

"Tallnecks were a mistake, they're nothing but trash."

It' s incredible how that single thing changed so many people's ideas on the game. From threads full of nothing but praise and anticipation to threads full of concern and ubisoft games comparisons. Like those 15 seconds erased everything great that was shown before.

It's an amazing designed creature, that like all the other robots probably has its place in the world ecosystem, you can probably fight it and as every robot (each one has a particular abilty that you can use at your advantage, like make it an ally, a mount ecc.) you can override it. But no, it's just a walking ubisoft tower and a cause of concern for the quality of the game lol

Blindy

It's a great thing to see a AAA action adventure with a solo female main character (when was the last time we got that? Beyond Good and Evil?) again. Especially with this marketing push.

I expect great things.
Bayonetta 1 got commercials with La Roux's Going In For The Kill, Tomb Raider also has gotten some marketing push from Microsoft.

But it is good to see this game get a lot of love, Guerilla has put in years for Sony to really warrant this.

That's great. You'll probably only have to climb it once in the form of a mission I assume.

Hopefully the gameplay matches the amazing graphics.

Looks pretty good so far.

Shinobi just confirmed to me on twitter that we will be getting previews on the 30th.

Thanks for sharing that with us :)

Sanctuary

Up until this point, it just read to me as yet another jack-of-all-master-of-nothing kind of game regarding combat, due to all of the available options at your disposal. Usually when a game gives you multiple ways to approach combat, either those ways are super tuned, or the encounters themselves tend to be ridiculously easy, making the entire game end up dull after a few hours. Usually it's the latter.

Jeff M:I was surprised and impressed by how difficult it was, first of all. A lot of games get compared to Dark Souls nowadays, but it evoked the same kind of pressure and challenge from me. At the same time, it felt less scripted, like these are just machines you will occasionally come across in the world – you don't have to walk through a fog door in order to trigger a battle with them. The corruptor I fought ended up chasing me all over the forest; I would launch an attack, find out that it wasn't doing much damage, and then be forced to retreat as I came up with a better plan. It wasn't frustrating though, in part I think because the controls hold up and you have a bunch of options at your disposal. When I finally defeated it, I felt a real sense of achievement. I know you played more of the game than I saw at E3. Did anything new stand out during your extended playtime?

Hopefully they didn't tune it to be easier, or at the very least, offer difficulty options. Pretty informative preview too.

Is this getting downgraded? i just saw the tapei demo and all the grass and trees and other stuff seems a lot poorer. Does the pro fix this and make it look like the target renders?
I'm gonna get my pro soon. Not for this game but i was looking at this.

Crayon

I am very excited to see how this stacks up to Zelda. Horizon clearly the underdog, by twilight princess did happen... So Zelda could be just okay and Horizon could turn out truly great.

They will both bow down to Nier, tho. :3

I am very excited to see how this stacks up to Zelda. Horizon clearly the underdog, by twilight princess did happen... So Zelda could be just okay and Horizon could turn out truly great.

They will both bow down to Nier, tho. :3
Seriously, why the comparison? They are so dissimilar

Gudji

Is this getting downgraded? i just saw the tapei demo and all the grass and trees and other stuff seems a lot poorer. Does the pro fix this and make it look like the target renders?

The Tapei demo is exactly the same demo/build they've been using since E3.

The game does uses some type of procedural technique to create the grass and trees in the game. Maybe that's what you've seen.

http://wccftech.com/horizon-zero-dawn-gpu-based-procedural-tech/

Zedark

I don't think that's the case (as far as we can see from the Taipei demo). The foliage looks identical in quantity to the E3 2016 demo. Quality wise, you can't tell since the Taipei game show footage is a blurry 720p presentation, and the time of day is different as well (you can see this when you save the guy chased by the
corrupted machine
: after the conversation, you can see that the shadow of the trees reach over a different length in the two demos).
Seriously, why the comparison? They are so dissimilar
Colourful open world third-person RPG (like). I can see why some would compare, but they definitely hardly have any similarities beyond those broad aspects, so the comparison feels off to me too.

Tratorn

Hopefully the previews are for a pretty long demo (4+ hours), so that we can finally hear more impressions about the game in general besides the mostly same things over and over again.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
It's crazy to think that we are getting Horizon, Zelda and Mass Effect within the space of 3 weeks.

And I still haven't started FF15.

Zedark

Hopefully the previews are for a pretty long demo (4+ hours), so that we can finally hear more impressions about the game in general besides the mostly same things over and over again.

Definitely, hope they get to do a nice and content rich demo: some sidequests, main quests and other activities that thus far have only been talked about.

Zedark

What's this about Suikoden?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=144519589&postcount=178

As you see, the guy has been banned. The direct reason is that he faked a FFXV review, but his "leaks" are likely fake as well (for the most part at least). He got verified at some point, but the mods have now decided that he was full of shit all along.

Edit:
Wrong, V was banned multiple time for various reasons, and FFXV fake impression was his last straw.
You're right, I looked up Falk's post on the matter, and it doesn't say they have decided he is full of shit, but rather that what he has been posting is being doubted by the mod team:
Falk said:
It bears specifically mentioning (again) that the mod team has had suspicions on the validity of Verendus' claims for years. The posts specifically in this thread have not been verified by us. We're actually waiting on a response on this.

I'm specifically treading rather lightly on this because 1) I started posting on GAF relatively recently, and took on mod duties even moreso, so I'm not nearly as well versed in the history here and 2) I've obviously worked on the game itself, so taking moderation actions on a neutral/3rd party site like GAF with regards to information/opinions (fabricated or otherwise) pertaining to the game is personally a very, very gray area as I'd be operating based on information I may have gleaned via work.

Other mods are aware of the situation. If action is taken, it's not specifically these posts but a much deeper history.

With howbthe games looks, Sony has clearly invested in it so not surprising they are pushing it with the marketing. Not interested in the game myself but it's got to potential to sell to a large audience.

DZ_b_EZ

It's a great thing to see a AAA action adventure with a solo female main character (when was the last time we got that? Beyond Good and Evil?) again. Especially with this marketing push.

I expect great things.

What are you talking about?? There's been Mirror's Edge, Tomb Raider, etc.

Tratorn

What are you talking about?? There's been Mirror's Edge, Tomb Raider, etc.

Yea, there are other games with female leads of course, but TR is the only one that is so popular and sells multiple millions with every game. Would be nice if Horizon gets well received and could join the club.

Pretty much. Mock reviews have been very good. Internally I'm told the game is regarded as the best thing coming out of anything first party by senior PS leadership. They're extremely high on it.

I expect the game do well critically and commercially.

I really hope you're right! It's looked lovely, and the gameplay has looked really cool, but the cautious voice inside me is a tiny bit nervous that the total package won't deliver as highly as I'm hoping it does.

Nothing in particular has set off alarm bells. Just cautious optimism on my part. =P

Gravity Rush 2 literally just came out 2 days ago lmao

That's not a AAA game. AAA, like with movies, is about budget, and I'm positive GR2 didn't have any of the production or marketing dollars poured into it that something like Uncharted 4 or The Order did.

That's not a AAA game. AAA, like with movies, is about budget, and I'm positive GR2 didn't have any of the production or marketing dollars poured into it that something like Uncharted 4 or The Order did.
I'm guessing you didn't see the japanese ad siej did for gravity rush 2? Also if you've played the game, the scale of the world and depth screams AAA even if it isn't your textbook AAA game

Unfortunately I am not terribly hyped for the game. Particularly after the story trailer. It didn't do a good enough job to sell me on whether it'll be exciting or interesting. I'm hoping it is. Looks like a fun game, but I'm very story and character driven.

Deku Tree

I wonder if horizon zero dawn is the game that will put guerrilla games on the map, kind of how the Uncharted series launched Naughty Dog into a whole different category of developers. Let's be honest, Killzone was never that type of game.

I'm guessing you didn't see the japanese ad siej did for gravity rush 2? Also if you've played the game, the scale of the world and depth screams AAA even if it isn't your textbook AAA game

I'm playing it right now. It's not a AAA game. AAA doesn't mean quality, btw. The Witness is a beautiful indie game and one of my favorite of last year. But just as a blockbuster movie is a blockbuster for a reason (even if plenty of small-budget movies are high quality), the same applies to AAA games.

Plus, FreQuency on the PS2 had ads. It wasn't AAA simply because it came in a case and had some commercials. It was a much cheaper game than MGS2 or FFX. =P

It's simply not a AAA game as it's significantly cheaper to make than an actual AAA game. The AA sphere is bigger than you think, and there's nothing wrong with being a AA game either! =)

Top Bottom