• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony is really pushing Horizon!

Crayon

I guess I must be the only PS4 owner on GAF who isn't hyped for this game. I mean the world looks great, but every time I see the combat it just doesn't seem fun.

I've had every playstation and I don't end up liking 75% of the 1st party games. Worth it for the other 25% tho. They are numerous and varied. I don't think anyone likes them all.

Sony don't really do season passes so it's not too out of the ordinary for them. The only games from them this gen that have one (that I can think of) are Uncharted 4 (got removed from sale recently), Driveclub and Killzone Shadow Fall, I've probably forgot one though. I think they plan to do an expansion, just not sure how many so don't want to commit to anything, like with Bloodborne.

They also did one for TLOU I believe.

lol

What doesn't seem fun about it?

Well, the last footage I saw was last E3, but firing arrows to pin down dinosaurs (with ropes you just ghost through) and sort of clumsy combat, I don't know, it just felt kind of laborious and soulless (not that Souls). I'm not sure what I was expecting, but what I saw didn't excite me.

Well, the last footage I saw was last E3, but firing arrows to pin down dinosaurs (with ropes you just ghost through) and sort of clumsy combat, I don't know, it just felt kind of laborious and soulless (not that Souls). I'm not sure what I was expecting, but what I saw didn't excite me.
Fair enough.

Probably just isn't your cup of tea. I know I am like that with a few games most seem to adore. It isn't that they are bad but rather they just don't click with me. It is fine for it to be that way though.

Gudji

I wish I was there. :(

More pictures:

C214E2aXgAAeTnx.jpg:large

C216kGsXgAAs1K_.jpg

C216kGwXgAAGwZn.jpg

Based on those screens it will be more story focused than the build we played so far at trade shows

Preview cycles at this stage of product are not uncommonly "I've played 10 hours of RPG, these are my thoughts!"

Would not be surprised if it's basically a near final build where they play a large chunk from start to.... 30% or 40% of the game.

FelipeMGM

Preview cycles at this stage of product are not uncommonly "I've played 10 hours of RPG, these are my thoughts!"

Would not be surprised if it's basically a near final build where they play a large chunk from start to.... 30% or 40% of the game.

Yep, especially since the is almost gold at this point, and its a two day event

Raylan

Banned
I guess I must be the only PS4 owner on GAF who isn't hyped for this game. I mean the world looks great, but every time I see the combat it just doesn't seem fun.
No problem. You don't have to like every game, you know? A lot of people played Horizon for a few hours and said it's great gameplay-wise.
But again, you don't have to like it. There are more games out there for you.

Gudji

Is that a baby Aloy I see?

Maybe. It could be a kid from a village or something.

One thing that bothers me in those pics, are the guys that are supposed to be working and paying attention to what they're watching/playing and yet some of them are looking at the fucking cellphone.

Cynar

It's a great thing to see a AAA action adventure with a solo female main character (when was the last time we got that? Beyond Good and Evil?) again. Especially with this marketing push.

I expect great things.
Rise of the Tomb raider, the three FFXIII games, Mirrors Edge 2 just off the top of my head. I know there have been many many more since Beyond Good and Evil. It's like you didn't even try before you posted that.

I'm in for horizon on day one. Can't wait.

Mathieran

Banned

One thing that bothers me in those pics, are the guys that are supposed to be working and paying attention to what they're watching/playing and yet some of them are looking at the fucking cellphone.

They're probably taking notes to help them write their impressions later.

Ahh saw Guerilla's instagram showing that there is a press preview event today so I figured there'd be some talk about it on Gaf too.

Looking at those screens, the detail and artistry on the native costumes just look amazing (media blackout on that new trailer)
I seriously cannot wait to play this on my Pro at 4K.

Being journalists they're most likely keeping notes about the game on their phones. Easier than having a separate laptop in front of them whilst gaming.

Pretty much. Mock reviews have been very good. Internally I'm told the game is regarded as the best thing coming out of anything first party by senior PS leadership. They're extremely high on it.

I expect the game do well critically and commercially.

Jeeeesus, staahp I can only get so wet lmao

Guerilla are in Amsterdam though :p

If World War 3 breaks out, I doubt the Netherlands is going to be the front line. Horizon is safe!
I dunno dude, that orange bastard could block the game being released in the states for whatever bizarre reason, thereby crippling the sales for the game :p
Anyway dude I recall you making very informative post about the game's combat system last e3. Are you gonna help with the ot?

I dunno dude, that orange bastard could block the game being released in the states for whatever bizarre reason, thereby crippling the sales for the game :p
Anyway dude I recall you making very informative post about the game's combat system last e3. Are you gonna help with the ot?

Luckily I live in the UK so at least I don't have to worry about that! :p Though I do get the game a few days later, which is killing me inside.

I think Shinobi called dibs on the OT and I don't think there's anyone who knows more about the game than him, so I don't know if he needs any help. More than willing to if he needs any though.

Not really. I'm pretty sure Horizon ZD will outsell Zelda BOTW.

Horizon will do fine for itself, but I don't see it outselling BotW. I'm pretty sure even Twilight Princess sold something like 1 million on Gamecube and 5+ million on Wii. If I had to guess, I'd say Sony's expectations for Horizon are probably fairly realistic, in the 2-3 million range.

Luckily I live in the UK so at least I don't have to worry about that! :p Though I do get the game a few days later, which is killing me inside.
A few days later? Didn't they pushed the game to the 1st of March?
If I had to guess, I'd say Sony's expectations for Horizon are probably fairly realistic, in the 2-3 million range.
Are those lifetime sales? I find that kinda unbelievable

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'd love to see Sony push Horizon with a Super Bowl ad but alas I'm not sure how much a game starring a woman would go well with an NFL audience.

Then again I may be overthinking it.

Just have her standing proud for the national anthem and I'm sure she'll be fine.

Gestault

I've had every playstation and I don't end up liking 75% of the 1st party games. Worth it for the other 25% tho. They are numerous and varied. I don't think anyone likes them all.

This is definitely how things stack up for me, which is exactly how it should be. Even playing games that I don't end up meshing with, some of that is part of being active in this hobby. There's no way everything you play can be a hit, and you need context for how ideas get built into games, even among misses. Some games are frustrating to find out have problems, others it can just be a style thing.

A few days later? Didn't they pushed the game to the 1st of March?

Are those lifetime sales? I find that kinda unbelievable
what do you mean? Do we forgot how many people 1 million people is? Count to a million in your head man! lol...

Yes, we know budgets are getting crazy high and games need to sell a lot, but nothing everything is Mario and GTA. 2-3 million copies of a new IP is absolutely amazing, and a great starting point to this turning into a real franchise.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Man even in the off screen shots the game looks damn good. Very crisp and detailed looking.

Yeah you're right. Its that damn February mixing up my mental calendar. UK gets it the day after. Still, that's one day too many.
Heh now that I've checked even Asia gets the game one day early than you guys😁

More pics from the event:

C23HrxuXUAAq-jI.jpg
Looks like new armor/clothing

I was thinking the 2 to 3 million would be the game's first year sold through units. Could be even more if this game reviews really well
Does this game use an improved version of MADDER? Curious to know.
That's funny, someone asked mathijs the exact same question. And he hasn't responded lol

It's not gold yet, but Horizon's development is effectively done.

Studio Art Director tweeted "pens down" which means game code is final.

zkorejo

I have not been following it too closely but I sure hope it is a good one.

Is there any information if this game has stealth mechanics? The signature weapon is a bow, so I am hoping there is.

Gudji

Is there any information if this game has stealth mechanics? The signature weapon is a bow, so I am hoping there is.

Yes there's stealth in the game.

Loudninja

Yeah

Jeff M: I tend to go the stealth route whenever it’s offered in games, and Aloy’s sneaking skills didn’t disappoint. This was another big relief for me – some open-world games like the Assassin’s Creed series have never really nailed stealth tactics, but it felt like a viable option in Horizon. The way Aloy automatically hides in tall grass reminded me of Uncharted 4’s stealth mechanics, but I also felt like I had a wider variety of tools at my disposal. I used the ropecaster quite a bit during my playtime to pin enemies down – especially the giant corruptor I fought at the end of my demo. Did you go toe-to-toe with that thing?

Kim: I was surprised with just how effectively the stealth worked; it’s definitely the way to go to kill the machines if you can.
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...our-hands-on-time-with-horizon-zero-dawn.aspx

Top Bottom