• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony is really pushing Horizon!

I wonder if horizon zero dawn is the game that will put guerrilla games on the map, kind of how the Uncharted series launched Naughty Dog into a whole different category of developers. Let's be honest, Killzone was never that type of game.
Here is hoping. They are putting their all into this.

Unfortunately I am not terribly hyped for the game. Particularly after the story trailer. It didn't do a good enough job to sell me on whether it'll be exciting or interesting. I'm hoping it is. Looks like a fun game, but I'm very story and character driven.

Weird, aren't you looking forward to Zelda?

VanWinkle

Man, I'm just so excited to see more of this game.

l0Exbw1QoxghZIgwM.gif

Those water reflections. Beautiful.

Shock32

Some downsampled to 1080p goodness:

Here are some downsampled (so this is how it will look on an HDTV) 4k images:

31620165934_700141559b_o.png

32423580876_dcfc676c17_o.png

32342036861_08882350c2_o.png

31651863153_0bee660678_o.png

This game is day one for me. But in all seriousness how can an open world game look this good? Theres gotta be some kind of catch Right? Like each biome is like a seperate area that you load into.

Wasn't sure where to post this, but is the Deluxe Edition going to be worth the extra 10 dollars?

Only seems to come with a Digital Artbook and a bunch of extra outfits, but wondering if they seem good enough to be worth it?

Wasn't sure where to post this, but is the Deluxe Edition going to be worth the extra 10 dollars?

Only seems to come with a Digital Artbook and a bunch of extra outfits, but wondering if they seem good enough to be worth it?
In my experience pre order dlc if they're outfits or weapons are usually useless about 2 or 3 hours in

Except Ratchet and clank Because mam was the bouncer op as shit

Weird, aren't you looking forward to Zelda?

I'm already invested in the universe and characters plus the timeline. Plus they had a fantastic trailer with a terrific song.

The HZD story trailer simply doesn't have the intrigue/mystery plus recognition I got out of this Zelda trailer. It looked ok but I don't know what to expect and I can't say the trailer inspired me.

Regardless, I'll be playing it but I hope it's a pleasant surprise.

They should. It's going to be really good. I hope that it turns out to be their next big hit. The last time I was even remotely excited for a game that didn't come from Japan was Mass Effect 3, so they've really done a solid job of selling me on this. Looks really interesting. Gonna have to push it back in favor of Zelda, personally, but I will for sure play it this year.

In my experience pre order dlc if they're outfits or weapons are usually useless about 2 or 3 hours in

Except Ratchet and clank Because mam was the bouncer op as shit

Thanks.

Another question, it says you get an exclusive Dynamic theme with the Digital Deluxe Edition...but it's not very clear. Are they talking about the one everyone gets for pre-ordering the game on PSN, or is there a unique one for the DD version, so you'd get a total of two Dynamic themes?

Thanks.

Another question, it says you get an exclusive Dynamic theme with the Digital Deluxe Edition...but it's not very clear. Are they talking about the one everyone gets for pre-ordering the game on PSN, or is there a unique one for the DD version, so you'd get a total of two Dynamic themes?
Can't confirm this one but I believe it's the same. Deluxe edition will list what you get with the regular edition as well as the perks of the deluxe

Wait, the artbook is digital?
There's a retail version that's like $30

Avtomat

Has anyone gone in depth on the combat of this game?

I would appreciate a link if there is one.

Are there human enemies, are combos prominent, button inputs and other combat mechanics. All I know at the moment is you have a spear/sword hybrid and a bow - can steal some heavy stuff off bigger Mechs, do we get to keep some of these?

Can't confirm this one but I believe it's the same. Deluxe edition will list what you get with the regular edition as well as the perks of the deluxe

It's just very ambiguous what it says on the PSN listing is all.

It says this

Pre-order and receive a bonus after checking out:
- Horizon Zero Dawn Dynamic Theme

but then for the DD Edition it lists this:

Horizon Zero Dawn Digital Deluxe includes:
- Horizon Zero Dawn PS4 Game
- The Art of Horizon Zero Dawn Digital Art Book
- Exclusive PS4 Theme
- Carja Storm Ranger Outfit and Mighty Bow
- Banuk Trailblazer Outfit and Culling Bow
- Banuk Traveller Pack
- Carja Trapper Pack
- Nora Keeper Pack

So...it makes me wonder if the "Exclusive PS4 Theme" is something different.

Has anyone pre-ordered the DD Edition yet and can vouch if it's the same theme or not?

Gudji

It's just very ambiguous what it says on the PSN listing is all.

It says this

Pre-order and receive a bonus after checking out:
- Horizon Zero Dawn Dynamic Theme

but then for the DD Edition it lists this:

Horizon Zero Dawn Digital Deluxe includes:
- Horizon Zero Dawn PS4 Game
- The Art of Horizon Zero Dawn Digital Art Book
- Exclusive PS4 Theme
- Carja Storm Ranger Outfit and Mighty Bow
- Banuk Trailblazer Outfit and Culling Bow
- Banuk Traveller Pack
- Carja Trapper Pack
- Nora Keeper Pack

So...it makes me wonder if the "Exclusive PS4 Theme" is something different.

Has anyone pre-ordered the DD Edition yet and can vouch if it's the same theme or not?

I believe the theme is not available yet (at least on my country store, Portugal).

EDIT: Just checked the store again on my PS4, I think there is only one theme for both versions.

John Wick

Yeah, exactly! I just assumed that it's confirmation because GG keeps telling on twitter, that it's in the final stretch of development.

Man, I'm just so excited to see more of this game.

l0Exbw1QoxghZIgwM.gif

Those water reflections. Beautiful.

That looks amazing. This game is gonna be amazing in my opinion. I think the delays have allowed for some great optimisation and polish. GG were already well renowned for their technical expertise. Can't wait

LotusHD

Banned
This game is day one for me. But in all seriousness how can an open world game look this good? Theres gotta be some kind of catch Right? Like each biome is like a seperate area that you load into.

We'll find out in February if there is one lol

Horizon's metacritic won't be higher than Uncharted 1 but it will for sure sell more in the first month than Uncharted 1 did.
It's going to be incredibly close I think. The games media have loved everything they've seen of the game, so unless there's bad surprises near launch, we're looking at high 80s, low 90s for the final score.

Has anyone gone in depth on the combat of this game?

I would appreciate a link if there is one.

Are there human enemies, are combos prominent, button inputs and other combat mechanics. All I know at the moment is you have a spear/sword hybrid and a bow - can steal some heavy stuff off bigger Mechs, do we get to keep some of these?

It's not got combos, the melee is sort of a more fluid Bloodborne style, with attacks on the shoulder buttons (heavy and light attacks) and dodge rolling.

Weapons appear to be a standard RPG style, with different variants within each category (several kinds of bows / slings, etc, unsure whether this applies to the spear as well). There are different armour sets too, unsure if it's individual pieces or entire sets count as one item. You also use crafted items in combat (mines etc), much like the Witcher.

There are human enemies, though we don't know what the balance will be.

We haven't been told whether you can keep individual overridden robots, however, I think it's sensible to speculate that they're more of a disposable kind of ally.

I desperately want this game to deliver. After Gears of War, Uncharted and Mass Effect last generation, I really hope this game can kickstart a franchise.

There's been far too many duds and false starts in recent years. Fringes crossed this is the game we all hope it is.

Skux

Pretty sure it's seamless. There's a lot of streaming and LoD magic going on, which you can see in the pop-in.

I've had this game preordered since the day it was shown off. I kinda feel bad cuz my copy is like $30 cheaper then what it's priced now lol (Canada).

Yup I'm convinced that the two persons from earlier were trolling. The first one is serial shitposter who has a tendency to drop a shitpost at the end of a thread where it's less active retreats like a coward when someone calls out on his bullshit. The second guy did the unnecessary comparison for the lulz.

Menitta

I haven't been on the hype train for this game and I don't know why. Every time they've shown it off, loved what I saw. It looks like AAA techno Monster Hunter. I've decided to put a preorder down just now.

Yeah, don't think it'll surprise many, but nice to have confirmation. It mustn't be easy to turn that easy money down now that it's become the norm.
Would've been a hard way to justify it for the type of game. If anything maybe dlc armors to but which still can come

I haven't been on the hype train for this game and I don't know why. Every time they've shown it off, loved what I saw. It looks like AAA techno Monster Hunter. I've decided to put a preorder down just now.

Same here. Still not sold on the game primarily since it is open world.
I'm completely burned out. But I'll keep an eye out on reviews and see what they say about the game.

Canucked

I cannot wait for Horizon. I have the special edition on order. It's shaping up to be such an exciting years for games. But Horizon is my most anticipated.

Floody

Would've been a hard way to justify it for the type of game. If anything maybe dlc armors to but which still can come

True, but I just always expect them in big budget games now, even if it makes no sense. I did have a little worry about armour sets getting sold, after they announced the pre-order bonuses, but hopefully this means they won't and will just keep that stuff for any future expansions or even better free updates. After publicly saying there'll be no MT it'll just be terrible PR going back on it.

True, but I just always expect them in big budget games now, even if it makes no sense. I did have a little worry about armour sets getting sold, after they announced the pre-order bonuses, but hopefully this means they won't and will just keep that stuff for any future expansions or even better free updates. After publicly saying there'll be no MT it'll just be terrible PR going back on it.
Now that i think about it. No season pass no plans for dlc or anything like that mentioned huh? Wow! Weird

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I'm really, really hoping this game is as amazing as I want it to be..... looking forward to it a bunch, such a packed couple of months for crazy good games: it's all a bit too much for my nervous system XD

I'd love to see Sony push Horizon with a Super Bowl ad but alas I'm not sure how much a game starring a woman would go well with an NFL audience.

Then again I may be overthinking it.

Floody

Now that i think about it. No season pass no plans for dlc or anything like that mentioned huh? Wow! Weird

Sony don't really do season passes so it's not too out of the ordinary for them. The only games from them this gen that have one (that I can think of) are Uncharted 4 (got removed from sale recently), Driveclub and Killzone Shadow Fall, I've probably forgot one though. I think they plan to do an expansion, just not sure how many so don't want to commit to anything, like with Bloodborne.

I guess I must be the only PS4 owner on GAF who isn't hyped for this game. I mean the world looks great, but every time I see the combat it just doesn't seem fun.

LotusHD

Banned
I guess I must be the only PS4 owner on GAF who isn't hyped for this game. I mean the world looks great, but every time I see the combat it just doesn't seem fun.

Lol, you are not alone. Hell, there's people on GAF that seemingly want it to fail, if past threads are any indication. And there's people like you and me, who just simply aren't finding themselves really into what they've seen so far. No big deal, it is what it is. Additionally, I have concerns about the story and sidequests, so I'm waiting for reviews.

Top Bottom