• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony merges Gaming, Computer and Mobile Media groups, but lil' Johnny can't read

sun-drop

seems like the lines between phones, handheld gaming devices, media devices, HTPC's, hell TV's and consoles is bluring just more and more these days. the move makes sence ..hopefully this wil lresult in more coordinated efforts between these groups at sony. kaz is head?

Zzoram said:
The main difference being that Zune is much, much smaller than Vaio and Walkman so it isn't as good at confusing Xbox numbers. In fact, Zune losses may be hidden by Xbox 360 profit at the moment.

Yep

This kind of stuff is common in corporate environments to hide losses. Especially given how panicky the marketplace is, anything considered to be a loss can be considered catastrophic to stock prices, which means things will be even worse, etc. etc.

I doubt this is a great move for Sony but you got to find ways to hide your losses as best you can. When this consolidation takes place, you better believe some jobs are getting the axe because there will be a few unnecessary jobs.

Forsete

The Experiment said:
I doubt this is a great move for Sony but you got to find ways to hide your losses as best you can. When this consolidation takes place, you better believe some jobs are getting the axe because there will be a few unnecessary jobs.

I dont think the primary reason was to hide losses, to be honest.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Gizmodo thinks this will be good for the company. It will allow them to focus on providing better software for their products since that is usually the worst part of their products, since hardware is generally okay.

iceatcs

Wow, ton of posts didn't read OP links, I though it is bannable.

Nothing much to looking forward because there is nothing big change.

Kittonwy

Banned
DMeisterJ said:
Gizmodo thinks this will be good for the company. It will allow them to focus on providing better software for their products since that is usually the worst part of their products, since hardware is generally okay.

Their cross-enterprise leverage in terms of content should be better now, Kaz has more responsibility now more than ever.

yurinka

Ramenman said:
So the "Playstation Family" can now be the "Playstation-Vaio-Walkman family" ?
No, because Vaios are Vaios and Walkmans are Walkmans, and not Playstations, even if they will share divisions.
Playstation Family covers Sony's consoles. But they would be included in the Playstation Network Family.

Donos

AstroLad said:
does anyone know how long they are going to keep the servers up for new releases like killzone?

317fi81.jpg

braimuge

Banned
This is good, I hope the SCE marketing departement gets replaced. They've been doing a crap job this gen. Can't wait to see what the Vaio team can put up.

avaya

So this is how they are going to win the Media Create and NPD wars. The "Sony Family" i.e. the SCE Family with Vaio, Walkman and mobile device sales tacked on will finally end Nintendo's domination of the hardware charts. An aberattion and assault to common decency that was allowed to continue for too long. A Kutaragi-esque move.

On a serious note, I can't believe they gave Hirai access to the keys.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
avaya said:

I'm sort of wondering now..this reshuffling does seem to strengthen Kaz as a candidate to succeed Stringer..assuming he doesn't have a Kutaragi-esque fall from grace.

Probably a bit early for speculation like that though.

Ramenman

yurinka said:
No, because Vaios are Vaios and Walkmans are Walkmans, and not Playstations, even if they will share divisions.
Playstation Family covers Sony's consoles. But they would be included in the Playstation Network Family.

Okay, I can understand why it comes out as confusing for some people then.

avaya said:

*cue official leadership joke*

I can see the benefits from a unified 'sony playstation network'.

They can expand the userbase for their video download service besides their gaming products and open a music download section for different electronic devices.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
_leech_ said:
Some people, like Kaz, got moved around. Simple as that, really.

He's been appointed to two new additional positions, but he hasn't been moved in so far as he's keeping his position at SCE. Just that in addition he's also overseeing the networked products group, and has been tapped as a EVP.

I'm guessing he doesn't have to leave SCE because there'll be an awful lot of overlap between the SCE and Network positions, given that the latter group seems to be all about getting sony devices plugged into PSN. The 'networked products' division is basically a PSN division, under which playstation, vaio, walkman etc. now fall.

gantz85

Banned
gofreak said:
He's been appointed to two new additional positions, but he hasn't been moved in so far as he's keeping his position at SCE. Just that in addition he's also overseeing the networked products group, and has been tapped as a EVP.

I'm guessing he doesn't have to leave SCE because there'll be an awful lot of overlap between the SCE and Network positions, given that the latter group seems to be all about getting sony devices plugged into PSN. The 'networked products' division is basically a PSN division, under which playstation, vaio, walkman etc. now fall.

I was giving some thought to this issue and I really wonder whether Kaz Hirai is taking on too much. Playstation, Vaio, Walkman and the other networked products (cellphones?) can be put together but having one man oversee all of them will be a pain in the ass. If Hirai gets distracted it'll be hard for there to be a focused effort on getting the best out of the Playstation business. I wonder if there will be someone to take over SCE while Hirai oversees all of the networked products businesses.

Top Bottom