• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony needs to release a new ps4 controller

Back when the system launched a site did a controlled test of DS4 battery life with and without lightbar (I think it might have been Eurogamer, they opened up the controller and disconnected the LEDs). The results were really close; I'll see if I can find a link.

Edit: the site was GAF and the results weren't that close, apologies, my aging memory is letting me down!

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=723148

GTA hits the battery pretty hard with as much as they use the speaker/rumble/lightbar/touchpad. All those features are neat, but they come at a cost. I had a fully charged battery drop a full bar after about an hour of playing. This game is like the Perfect Storm of battery murder.

Also, if you've had your PS4 since launch, and have been regularly depleting and charging, that's affecting the capacity as well. The batteries do have a lifespan, and over time you're not going to get the life out of a full charge that you did out of the box.

That said, I agree with you. They wanted all these extra features for the DS4, but cheaped out on the battery that would be needed to power it all. I'd have rather they made the controller a bit heavier and doubled the battery size.

Seik

Banned
I agree, the build quality seems terrible so far.

Of all the controller I owned so far, the only one I had to open were N64 controllers to replace loose sticks, then two PS4 controller to remove the broken hinge and the spring from the R2 buttons because those were getting stuck.

I didn't have any problems with the degraded material on the stick yet, but I hope I'll dodge this one. At least the controller was relatively easy to open and fix, so there's that.

Another thing they could fix is the battery life that could be fixed by adding the option to the turn the light bar OFF, but that's all software I guess, so no need for a new controller for this specific issue.

Nzyme32

Is it not possible to get battery packs or battery extenders for the controller? Three hour battery life is obviously fairly ridiculous

Isurus

I just wish it had freaking user replaceable batteries like the Xbone does. Much easier to just swap eneloops and go. I'll never understand why people prefer a built in battery in a controller, which I remember many people listing as a benefit when these consoles released.

Completely agree; the PS4 controller battery life sucks.

the sixaxis was a beast though, i still rock my sixaxis (well used to when i played my ps3) specially because it was light. i would like to buy some scuf ones without the rumbles

SerTapTap

The only problem I've had with my launch day DS4 is a sticking R1 trigger. It's not going to win awards for battery life, but three hours doesn't sound right. I just charge it off a phone charger overnight.

Dunno if it'll help, but I fixed a squeaky R2 with body spray (with alcohol)

In my lifetime of electronics i have never owned something with such a pathetic battery life. I don't even understand how the controller even uses that much energy. It is seriously ruining my enjoyment with he console. Can't even play GTA for longer than 3 hours without it dying.

did you set your controller to "dim"?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I get about 3-4 hours on launch controller.

Used to get 4-5 hours, but I guess the battery is getting old after a year.

Yes, it is absolutely pathetic.

Paches

The rubber/whatever on the sticks getting destroyed easily is a worse problem. Mine are almost shot from just play Resogun basically.

Actually, Sony just needs to release a new controller generally. That controller is one of the things that gives me trepidation about buying a PS4. I hate the whole design with a fiery passion. I'm looking into a way of making a 360 controller compatible with it.

groshkar

Mine get used 3-4 hrs a time daily and I can't remember the bars going below 3. Not that I look at that very often, since I never think about it. I have a charging dock with 2 controllers and alternate between them. Its a setup I highly recommend.

Uraizen

Banned
It's bad? I've never noticed, but I have the light on it dimmed. Would turn it off if I could. I still find myself recharging more than any other of my controllers.

Wii U Pro is the benchmark and its ridiculous how badly Sony/MS match up.

I don't play my Xbone enough to have the batteries die yet, so I don't know how that is. I do know that my Wii U Pro got me through a playthrough of W101, Bayonetta 2 (twice), Mega Man X, a few worlds in 3D World, and still has not needed to be charged once. That's not counting multiplayer in MK8 either.

If you have an iPhone and own one of these
Apple%20iPhone%20iPod%20iPad%20Original%20UK%20Mains%20Adapter%203%20Pin%20Charger%20a.jpg

221694178.jpg

...and sit near a wall socket while playing, take your DS4 USB cable, plug it into this, and be on your merry way.

Head.spawn

It has a touch technology, rumble, a light, a speaker, bluetooth technology and likely audio converters/processing of some sort as well as all of your standard stuff. That is a lot of stuff to pack into a controller.

What size battery is packed in there? Is that something easily upgradable.

cjp

I got at least 5 hours today and it still had two bars left. That's with the brightness setting as the lowest.

MercuryLS

Banned
I just wish it had freaking user replaceable batteries like the Xbone does. Much easier to just swap eneloops and go. I'll never understand why people prefer a built in battery in a controller, which I remember many people listing as a benefit when these consoles released.

Completely agree; the PS4 controller battery life sucks.

I'd rather not deal with swapping batteries, I like a built in one as long as it lasts a long time on a charge like the Pro controller. I charged it on Friday and I've played a ton of SSB4 over the weekend and the batter still shows 4 bars. That's what I want from the DS4.

FTF

If 3 hours is legit it may be your controller. On dim, I'll get 6-8 hours on a full charge. Which isn't great, but isn't 3 hours horrid like you're saying. Would def like complete off of the light too.

Kathian

Banned
I don't play my Xbone enough to have the batteries die yet, so I don't know how that is. I do know that my Wii U Pro got me through a playthrough of W101, Bayonetta 2 (twice), Mega Man X, a few worlds in 3D World, and still has not needed to be charged once. That's not counting multiplayer in MK8 either.

I think I've had to plug mine in three times since launch.

I own 4 pads 2 black 1 red 1 blue all from launch, they average about 6-8 hours each.
docking stations so always on charge.

Have you thought of bhying a new battery from ebay?

Between the poorly designed controller, and shoddy console build quality, I am waiting until there is a substantial hardware revision before jumping back on board with the PS4.

I get around 7-8 hours on mine, I plug it in to charge like once a week. 3 hours sounds like your controller is defective. DS4 doesn't require you to charge from your console so you don't need an extra long USB cable. I run an extension cord under my couch, when it dies mid-game I plug it in via an old phone charger while I play.

I am surprised that more games don't include an LED shut off though.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
At least with the Wii U there's the excuse of the battery powering a fucking screen (still absolute shit though, and I never use the Wii U controller when Pro or Wii Remote/Nunchuck are available).

With the PS4 it's just that fucking useless as shit light draining the fuck out of that battery.

Let me turn the goddamn light off, Sony!

Heel

It's inexcusably bad. At least the Wii U gamepad has to power an LCD screen and a bunch of other electronics that the DS4 doesn't have. Plus, it comes with a proper charging kit and not some dinky 1 meter USB cable.

Hardly, playing whilst it's charging isn't a nuisance at all. Especially if you're sat near the PS4.

It wouldn't be if I only had to plug it in once every now and then (DS3), but when I'm required to constantly attach the thing to a power source it's very much a nuisance.

Sony should let you use eneloops.

This, this and a thousand times this. The awful battery life wouldn't be that much of a problem if I could just swap a couple of AAs.

I'm fully aware that I can charge whilst I'm playing. I realise that having two controllers allows me to charge one and play the other.

But so fucking what? That doesn't excuse the poor battery life. Why are people so content with sub-standard performance? The Wii U tablet has a similar if not a longer battery life.

-Horizon-

Looking through the thread I saw this on the last page:

So apparently Pocketnews has a new CUH-1100 model PS4 and has compared it to the previous model.

According to Dutch site Tweakers (http://tweakers.net/nieuws/99236/revisie-ps4-heeft-gewijzigde-heatsink.html), the following was changed among other things. I don't understand many technicalities ;)

- Changed heat sink and changed power supply towards the CPU and GPU
- Lower weight (2700g vs 2750g)
- Mainboard was type SAA-001, now SAB-001
- The 8-bit-mcu by STMicroelectronics was removed, perhaps now obsolete by the Marvell CXD90025G-asic sub processor (speculated by Tweakers, don't know)
- Memory changed from ddr3-1600 to ddr3l-1833 (lower power usage) (for the Marvell CXD90025G-asic sub processor, not main memory)
- AMD APU changed from CXD90026G to CXD90026AG

I'm not a super technical person lol. It'll still be somewhat comparable to the first version and there isn't much point to waiting for this version right?

onQ123

Something to understand is that some people are impatient & will never let their controller charge fully then wonder why it didn't last long.

Makes me laugh how the Wii U GamePad gets a bad rap for its battery life, when it's powering a fucking 480p touchscreen, a wireless video module, gyro sensors, a camera and microphone, an IR Blaster, as well as pretty much everything else the DualShock 4 does - speaker, headphone port, the buttons etc.

What's this thing's excuse? Because Sony said the lightbar doesn't even use much juice...

Louis010

Banned
how is this a poor solution, of course you need two if you do long gaming sessions, its been that way ever since wireless controllers were invented.

the DS4 has a shorter battery life for sure and it can be annoying, but so do cell phones. mine doesn't even last a day if I use it for videos and such...

No it hasn't, maybe I was spoilt by my 360 having a seperate battery pack so I could just switch batteries every couple of weeks. Even my wavebird could reach 70hours plus back in the day on one set of duracells.

If its going to be a built in battery pack anything under 10 hours is ridiculous where as I would be hoping for closer to 20. This is the most dissapointing this for me personally about my ps4.

Head.spawn

Somebody removed the light power as a mod a long time ago to analyse the difference in power pull and it really wasn't that significant IMO. It was still bad.

OneUh8

You are doing something wrong or have a defect if it only lasts 3 hours. Even my launch ds4 lasts at least 5 hours. My other 2 newer ones last longer.

MercuryLS

Banned
Actually beyond the terrible battery life my other issue with the DS4 are the triggers. They have too much travel and resistance and the curl under the controller rather than push straight into a flat surface (like the 360 controller). It becomes really uncomfortable to hold them down in some games. It's similar to the DS3 triggers in that regard and it's poor design.

Looking through the thread I saw this on the last page:

I'm not a super technical person lol. It'll still be somewhat comparable to the first version and there isn't much point to waiting for this version right?

Right, the differences were just to reduce manufacturing costs.

Top Bottom