• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: not every PSVR game playable with DS4; some require Move

Kyzer

Banned
Hmmm.. Does it silly like the Wii-mote to Wii motion + (later packed in as the standard Wii-mote) ? Or will it be like Oculus using the Xbox one gamepad while developing the Oculus touch?

I don't think refreshing 6-7 years old peripheral will be a silly "Move" :p, to be honest with you.

I think its silly because PSVR is coming out in 3 months. Missed opportunity though for sure.

Kyolux

Hmmm.. Does it silly like the Wii-mote to Wii motion + (later packed in as the standard Wii-mote) ? Or will it be like Oculus using the Xbox one gamepad while developing the Oculus touch?

I don't think refreshing 6-7 years old peripheral will be a silly "Move" :p, to be honest with you.

But Move is kind of as optimal as Move will get. It would have to be compatible retro-actively and still be bound to a similar technology then.

If there's a move 2, it's going to be with PS VR 2/PS5 which would probably switch to something more accurate like Touch/Vive controllers. And we're not going to see it this generation.

And yeah, like Kyzer, it is a missed opportunity. I'd like to see better motion control too, but I don't think it's as likely as you make it out to be.

No, but if they were going to do it, they would have done it for PSVR's launch. Like others have said, Move 2 probably won't come until PSVR2/PS5.

Zalusithix

Except the DS4 is a 6DOF controller. Yes, moving from two, well-tracked points to a single, not-so-well-tracked point would be problematic, but I don't think it would be nearly as troublesome as trying to go from 6DOF*2 to KBM, and that's before we add the DS4's additional buttons and analog axes to the equation. :)

If you're using the DS4 as a makeshift 6DOF controller in the same context that the real tracked controllers are used, then you lose basically every other analog axis provided. You can't hold the controller normally and use it like a Move. So now you have one sort-of kind-of tracked controller out of two. If the game requires two, you're screwed. Unless you use two DS4, in which case I maintain we'd be getting into crazy land.

If you're using the DS4 as a makeshift 6DOF controller in the same context that the real tracked controllers are used, then you lose basically every other analog axis provided. You can't hold the controller normally and use it like a Move. So now you have one sort-of kind-of tracked controller out of two. If the game requires two, you're screwed. Unless you use two DS4, in which case I maintain we'd be getting into crazy land.
All true. The point was mainly that the DS4 is a 6DOF, unlike KBM or the "simple" Bone-style pad you were describing in your example. The DS4 is technically in the same category as the wands or a data glove or that new Move rifle, with each best suited to a different type of gameplay.

It's nice to have options. :)

cakefoo

All true. The point was mainly that the DS4 is a 6DOF, unlike KBM or the "simple" Bone-style pad you were describing in your example. The DS4 is technically in the same category as the wands or a data glove or that new Move rifle, with each best suited to a different type of gameplay.

It's nice to have options. :)
It's nice for developers to have options too- if they don't want their game playable with a DS4, they don't have to do it.

And IMO, some people are reading too much into Sony's statement about how the majority of games support DS4 at launch. I don't think that's Sony's doing- that's just how every VR headset's library has started out, likely because developers are much more familiar with traditional controls than motion controls.

JunkoEve

I have a question about the Playstation Move controllers. Will the PS3 era Move controllers and the PS4 era (with PSVR bundle) have the same shape, design and charging dock USB slot or will it be exclusively different?

I already have Move charging dock and was wondering whether the PSVR bundle Move controllers can be charged using the old charging dock?

Kyolux

I have a question about the Playstation Move controllers. Will the PS3 era Move controllers and the PS4 era (with PSVR bundle) have the same shape, design and charging dock USB slot or will it be exclusively different?

I already have Move charging dock and was wondering whether the PSVR bundle Move controllers can be charged using the old charging dock?

It's the same move controllers as far as we know.

Top Bottom