• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Playstation 3 Launch Buyers Thread

ps3lb.png

Welcome to the Sony PS3 Launch Buyers Thread. Here is where we will discuss our Launch Purchases, our thoughts on launch titles, our experiences at launch with the system, the games and anything that has to do with the Playstation 3 Launch I hope to get to know some fellow PS3 buyers and maybe sometime we can even play some online games one of these days.

ps3_photo_09_small.jpg

If your buying a PS3 you probably already know the details but if your new to the whole PS3 thing lets get to it.

*Release Date - November 17, 2006
*Two version at launch 20gig and 60gig
*Play online games straight out of the box for free!
*CPU: Cell processor at 3.2 GHz / GPU: RSX "Reality Synthesizer" with 128bit pixel precision and 1080p resolution
*Memory: 256MB XDR main RAM at 3.2GHz, 256MB of GDDR VRAM at 700MHz
*Media: Blu-Ray Disc
*Also supports CD-ROM, CD-RW, DVD, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD+R formats
*Backwards compatible with PlayStation 1 & 2 software
*4 BlueTooth Wireless ports for Controllers
*6 USB Ports for peripherals; Wi-Fi connectivity with PSP
*Slots for Memory Stick Duo, Compact Flash Cards, SD Media and for a detachable 2.5-inch HDD
*Multimedia features: video chat, Internet access, digital photo viewing, and digital audio and video.
*2 HD outputs for Cinemascope-like and double-screen experience

Here is what will look different in the two levels of PS3

PS3_SKU_comparison_montage.jpg

Audio/video output
Supported screen sizes: 480p, 480i, 720p, 1080i, 1080p (few HDTVs support 1080p, but acceptance is growing)
S/PDIF optical output for digital audio
Multiple AV outputs
Composite
S-Video
Component video Can output up to 1080p
Digital video output (60GB model only)
HDMI port (60GB Model Only)

Sound
Dolby Digital 5.1 minimum
DTS
LPCM (DSP functionality handled by the Cell processor)

Storage
Blu-ray Disc: PlayStation 3 BD-ROM, BD-Video, BD-R, BD-RE.
DVD: PlayStation 2 DVD-ROM, DVD-Video, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW
CD: PlayStation CD-ROM, PlayStation 2 CD-ROM, CD-DA, CD-DA (ROM), CD-R, CD-RW, SACD, SACD Hybrid (CD layer) SACD HD
Hard Drive: Pre-Installed 20GB/60GB (depending on package), 2.5", detachable/upgradeable, with Linux pre-installed.[5][6]

Memory card readers (60 GB model only)
Memory Stick standard/Duo and standard/mini slots
CompactFlash slot
SD/MMC slot

Communications
One Gigabit Ethernet Port
Bluetooth 2.0
USB 2.0 (x4)
Wi-Fi (60 GB model only)
IEEE 802.11 b, g standards

clip_image002.jpg

The $499 model on the left and the $599 model on the right

$499 Model

PlayStation 3 console
Blu-Ray Disc movie playback
Controller
Power cable, A/V wires
20GB HDD
Apparently able to add digital memory card slots via USB
Apparently able to use Wi-Fi via separately purchased USB Wi-Fi adapter
Semi-translucent hardware casing

$599 Model

PlayStation 3 console
Blu-Ray Disc movie playback
Controller
Power cable, A/V wires
HDMI-out
Digital Memory Card slots (Memory Stick Pro/Duo, Compact Flash, SD, etc)
60GB HDD (upgradeable, unsure if OEM-required)
802.11b/g Wi-Fi
Glossy black casing

Region 20GB System 60GB System

Japan 59800¥ Open Market

Canada $549 $659

Europe €499 €599

***Fatal Inertia KOEI
***Bladestorm: The Hundred Years War
***EA Sports Fight Night Round 3
***Madden NFL 07
***College Hoops 2K7
***NHL 2K7 2K
***NBA 2K7 2K
***Call of Duty 3
***Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas
***Tony Hawk's Project 8
***Full Auto 2: Battlelines
***Resistance: Fall of Man
***NBA Live 07
***Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom
***Genji: Days of the Blade
***Blazing Angels: Squadrons of WWII
***F.E.A.R.
***Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07
***Need for Speed Carbon
***Warhawk
***flOw (PS3 Hub Download)
***Sonic the Hedgehog
***Marvel: Ultimate Alliance

JAPAN
***Fatal Inertia (KOEI)
***Mobile Suit Gundam: Crossfire (JA) (Bandai)
***Bladestorm: The Hundred Years War (JA) (KOEI)
***Eye of Judgment: Conquerors of 9 Fields, The (JA) (Sony Computer Entertainment)
***Rain (JA) (AQ Interactive)
***Enchanted Arms (JA) (FromSoftware)

Rumor: It Going To Be Called The Sixaxis
e3-2006-in-depth-with-the-ps3-controller-20060515010609802.jpg

Price ???

The PlayStation 3's controller still features its wireless compatibility promised at E3 2005, and connects up for charging to the PS3 via USB. This is likely the same USB size as is used to plug in your PSP, so while the system is wireless, you'll probably have a wire dangling from the USB plug for most of the system's lifespan. You can play wired, if you wish, via USB. There look to only be four-player compatibility for PS3, judging by the four lights up on top of the system (the PS3 can take up to seven wireless connections, but the other three slots are likely being saved for Bluetooth headsets and other wireless features.)

While the new controller will gain motion detection, it will be losing its shock. Sony confirmed that the rumble feature will be completely disabled since the vibration apparently interferes with information detected by the motion sensor.

Sony has also made a few adjustments to the controller as well. The L2/ R2 shoulder buttons, for example, have been enlarged -- allowing for increased stroke depth. The analog sticks allow for greater tilting angle too, and it's a change that will supposedly give players additional control. Finally, both analog sticks and the L2/ R2 shoulder buttons also benefit from an increase in precision of 8 bits to 10.

*PlayStation3 Console
*User's Manual
*PlayStation3 Controller (Wireless)
*AV Cable
*Power Supply or Cable ;)

Preorder information at this time is a bit sketchy but your best bet is to call your local game store, EB Games,Bestbuy,Blockbuster and Gamestop. Some locations are accepting preorders and some are doing waiting lists. If guys want to post your preorder stub/ticket then go ahead alright. State how much you put down, and what location you preorder it from, and this goes for the samething for games as well if you want to add that.

Store name:
City & Country (adding an address would be even more helpful) :
Deposit Paid :
Other Pre-order Conditions :

International Online Stores:
http://lik-sang.com (located in Hong Kong)
https://www.amazon.com/?tag=neogaf0e-20 (some countries only)
http://global.yesasia.com/en/index.aspx (hasn't started yet)

ZeoVGM

Banned
BradVanDam said:
Here is where we will discuss our Launch Purchases, our thoughts on launch titles, our experiences at launch with the system, the games and anything that has to do with the Wii Launch.

wait what

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
BradVanDam said:
i was told at eb games I had to trade in 10 games to get one :(
thats a canadian deal for ebgames IIRC. no word on us pre-orders.

and i'll be getting a ps3 at launch, just wating on my preorder.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Jonnyram said:
It's 62790. There's no point in quoting the price without consumption tax. Well, unless you want to make it sound cheaper :)

Sigh...I`m going to be so poor come November. Actually seeing the PS3 games in person this weekend (and most probably being totally wowed) will not help. :(

Yar! Impressive post, thanks! I pretty much went on a ps3 info media blackout since they announced it because the wait would be unbearable otherwise. I don't want to get it at launch because I got screwwed the two last times I did that with my the other playstations.

I can't believe there isn't going to be a tekken or ridge racer at launch. Maybe FEAR or the Genji game, but unless there's another game that'll make the system worth the launch price, I'm just gonna wait until July (or a little before) so I have one for MGS4. July 7th, right? I'm also waiting for word on another PSP price-drop or color change. Oh, also:

Question:
I'm going to get the $600 model, but in they specs, you don't mention the old memory card slots. Is that under etc? How will we transfer our old saves to the new machine for PS1 and PS2 games?
Bad_Boy said:
I'm pretty sure RR7 is going to be at launch, or atleast extremely close to it.

Oh, it wasn't on the list. Thanks. Will that be in japan or here?

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Verboten said:
I can't believe there isn't going to be a tekken or ridge racer at launch.
I'm pretty sure RR7 is going to be at launch, or atleast extremely close to it.

Verboten said:
Question:
I'm going to get the $600 model, but in they specs, you don't mention the old memory card slots. Is that under etc? How will we transfer our old saves to the new machine for PS1 and PS2 games?
Sony will have an adaptor for PS2/PS1 memory cards. No official price on that, but maybe we will find out at tgs.

http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3/about.html

To use saved data on a PlayStation®2 Memory Card, you must copy the data onto a internal memory card within the hard disk on the PLAYSTATION®3. This requires a PS2/PSone Memory Card adaptor (sold separately) to copy the data to your PLAYSTATION®3.

Verboten said:
Oh, it wasn't on the list. Thanks. Will that be in japan or here?
I assume both.

llTll

Banned
i am getting one day 1. if i get my hands on one.

also waiting till TGS. [ i dont know why. but i feel its important for me to decide on buying ps3 or not even though my heart is already set on one ]

Jonnyram said:
I'm waiting for the white version for my own PS3, but I might get a launch one to ebay :)
FFXIII will bring about my PS3 purchase, normally takes FF to make me purchase a console. Why can't sqquare just release on one damned console!!

if anything its probably gonna be the cheapest Blu-Ray player on the market for a while, so i may get it for that whilst waiting. Unless the 360 add on is less than the estimated £200. Biut then again i'm in the UK, so i aint seeing one for a while anyways!

Bad_Boy said:
if you are in the US, please tell me more about your preorder.
I'm getting mine from a little mom and pop store here in Houston. I've heard from everyone that they're very reliable. I'm also first on their list. I had to pay it in full though. But at least I don't have to worry about it now.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
AlanHemberger said:
I'm getting mine from a little mom and pop store here in Houston. I've heard from everyone that they're very reliable. I'm also first on their list. I had to pay it in full though. But at least I don't have to worry about it now.
lucky mofo, i think im gonna start looking for mom and pop stores to see if they are doing something similar. thanks for letting me know. :)

985boi

Do you guys think they're gonna pack in the USB cable for charging the controller or we have to buy that on our own?

I'll pre-order one as soon as a local store lets me. Then, I'll get it when they have one. If that's launch, great. If not...well, I'm getting a Wii, too, so I can wait for the PS3 if I have to.

I called toysrus and they said they have over 500 preorders and stopped taking them.

idiots.

So i got 4 choices

A.)Hope to god EB lets me use cash or allows me to trade in my ps2 and gamecube or something hell i'll buy like a bunch of their crappy used games and trade them in if need be

B.)Reserve at my work Blockbuster Game Rush but I wont get a warranty

C.)Reserve at best buy but have to deal with 60 day if we cant fix it you get a new one warranty

D.)Wait 6 months till I can walk into the store and buy one.

Chris_C

I'll probably line up at Walmart overnight to get one. Does anyone know if Walmart sells consoles at 12am on the day of the consoles release or do they wait till the next morning when the electronics section opens?

Oh yeah, and anyone in the Midtown Memphis area with a car want to give me a ride up to Walmart and camp out?

While I'm a multi console owner I'm very much a Sony fanboy at heart. I think the PS3 will be the best console ever when all is said and done.

Just felt like saying that. Good day to you all.

985boi

hmm...Is anybody planning to order theirs online? I don't think I can stand in line or come early in the morning to get it.

Flo_Evans

Chris_C said:
I'll probably line up at Walmart overnight to get one. Does anyone know if Walmart sells consoles at 12am on the day of the consoles release or do they wait till the next morning when the electronics section opens?

Oh yeah, and anyone in the Midtown Memphis area with a car want to give me a ride up to Walmart and camp out?

they will sell at midnight if its a 24 hour walmart.

Flo_Evans said:
they will sell at midnight if its a 24 hour walmart.

Places that didn't take pre orders are going to be a place you'd probably want to avoid at all costs if you can find a place taking pre orders. Given that shortage places like that aren't going to be a pretty sight. It was rather bad when the PS2 launched also.

Chris_C

SolidSnakex said:
Places that didn't take pre orders are going to be a place you'd probably want to avoid at all costs if you can find a place taking pre orders. Given that shortage places like that aren't going to be a pretty sight. It was rather bad when the PS2 launched also.

It's Walmart, how bad could it be!

Chris_C said:

you're going to be camping out well ahead of release.

Flo_Evans

SolidSnakex said:

well I had a ****ing pre-order until gamecrazy decieded not to take pre-orders anymore! I found it a bit ironic that the a-hole behind the counter asked me if I wanted to pre-order anything after he just told me the one thing I did in fact pre-order was no longer going to be honored. The EB trade in is bullshit and I am not gonna do that. So if I can find a store with a short line I may camp out. Or just wait.

Chris_C

AlanHemberger said:
you're going to be camping out well ahead of release.

Really? Never camped out before. For some reason I assumed all I had to do at Walmart was get there at 7pm or so and wait till 12am.

I'm there day one.

-PlayStation 3 60GB model
-Resistance: Fall of Man
-Extra Sixaxis controller
-Adaptor for PS2/PS2 memory card reader

I'm actually wondering how PS2 games will be improved on the PS3. Anyone know?

Chris_C said:
Really? Never camped out before. For some reason I assumed all I had to do at Walmart was get there at 7pm or so and wait till 12am.
Chances are, there will be a few douchebags ahead of you by 2pm. It's sad really. And if you're talking about mid town Memphis, might be worse. Allocation will be a big enough problem as it is and a lot of places don't tell you how much stock they have until late at night. So you might be wasting your time as well. Camping out ****ing sucks.

bud

Cold-Steel said:
I'm there day one.

-PlayStation 3 60GB model
-Resistance: Fall of Man
-Extra Sixaxis controller
-Adaptor for PS2/PS2 memory card reader

I'm actually wondering how PS2 games will be improved on the PS3. Anyone know?

Upscaling I guess.

Flo_Evans said:
well I had a ****ing pre-order until gamecrazy decieded not to take pre-orders anymore! I found it a bit ironic that the a-hole behind the counter asked me if I wanted to pre-order anything after he just told me the one thing I did in fact pre-order was no longer going to be honored.

Ouch. Wal Mart probably wouldn't be a bad idea as long as you got there early. I wouldn't want to be near the people at the cutoff number though.

Flo_Evans said:
The EB trade in is bullshit and I am not gonna do that. So if I can find a store with a short line I may camp out. Or just wait.

That shit was actually real? Uggh.

Rhindle

I expect the local gangs are going to be running the lines at stores in my area, possibly hiring migrant workers to get in line several days in advance.

The eBay power user contingent may show up earlier than that, but will get intimidated into leaving once the goon squads show up.

Wollan

Fully paid(premium version) already for launch.. next year.
All the bigger games will be acquired alongside some stuff like a extra controller, hdmi cable, PS2/1 card adapter ...etc.

xaosslug

If I can pre-order one online or in-store, I'll be groovy. But, if I can't get a lock on a pre-order and have to walk in/camp out... no PS3 for me this year, I guess. :(

DefectiveReject
Retard Defense Force:
Captain Retard
(Today, 09:04 AM)
Reply | Quote

I just noticed... :lol No link as to why?

SolidSnakex said:
Ouch. Wal Mart probably wouldn't be a bad idea as long as you got there early. I wouldn't want to be near the people at the cutoff number though.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Ahhhh. Everybody's going to be near the people at the cutoff number, Solid. I predict no cutoff number in the double digits. Worldwide. But only because this guy told me to.

uatu.jpg

"I DID."

teiresias

I don't have the time or inclination to take part in launch madness this time around like I did with PS2. Admittedly, I had the PS2 paid off and merely showed up at EB at some ungodly hour like 5am or something since they were opening early on launch day and picked it up. I had class, if I'd thought about it I'd have driven around to take a look at some people waiting in line.

Hopefully Sony isn't just blowing smoke about being able to replenish the supply chain quickly and consistently, as that will be my only hope in getting one (the $600 version) by the end of the year.

Striek

What do you get in the box?

*PlayStation3 Console
*User's Manual
*PlayStation3 Controller (Wireless)
*AV Cable
*Power Supply

-----

Uh-oh! :p

Great launch lineup. I wouldn't be surprised to see a few slip to a less crowded timeframe, but then...2007 is packed as well.

Top Bottom