• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Playstation 3 Launch Buyers Thread

teiresias

Striek said:
What do you get in the box?

*PlayStation3 Console
*User's Manual
*PlayStation3 Controller (Wireless)
*AV Cable
*Power Supply

-----

Uh-oh! :p

Great launch lineup. I wouldn't be surprised to see a few slip to a less crowded timeframe, but then...2007 is packed as well.

Well, technically it is in the box after all. :D

jjasper

I am there day one, already have the money saved up for the system and 2 games and an extra controller.
Resistance is a given
The second could be one of the following depending on what makes launch and what is cut from the sports games: Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas, Warhawk, EA Sports Fight Night Round, Madden NFL 07, College Hoops 2K7, NHL 2K7 2K, NBA 2K7 2K, but most likely Ridge Racer 7.

evil ways

Even though I've been saying that I'll wait until next year, there's a 99.9% chance that once pre-orders begin, the craziness will take over me and I'll get one.

60gb model, with Resistance and Marvel Alliance, assuming they don't do forced bundles of crappy sports games.

OmniGamer

This is my first attempt at a launch day purchase of this magnitude...since EB/GS seem to be farting around on the pre-order issue...what are the chances of being able to camp out at Costco and scoring one there? I don't have a membership card, my mother does...would I be able to use her card? or not? I have no Wal-Marts in my area, so what other retailers would be good camp-out choices?

JB1981

Bad_Boy said:
lucky mofo, i think im gonna start looking for mom and pop stores to see if they are doing something similar. thanks for letting me know. :)

I can't even think of a 'mom'n pop' store around here that would even sell a PS3 ....

BradVanDam said:
Conclusion

found another freudian slip

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
I haven't really decided if I'm going to partake of this launch... it's really going to be driven by seeing if I can find at least 2 launch titles I want. NFS Carbon is a launch title so that's a potential one. Though if it just looks prettier than the PS2 version and that's it I don't know if that's much of a lure(I could have picked up Most Wanted and a 360 if that's the case), I'm hoping RR looks much more impressive than the video 1up had recently... and Heavenly Sword I'd like to see more of... but I don't considering any sports, Motorstorm or Warhawk something that's going to make me want to have the console at launch.

Once that picture becomes more clear then I'll be able to make a better decision.

REV 09

question

Sony and headset...what's the deal? Same can be asked for Wii and headset. Neither company has mentioned a headset as far as i know. There really isn't even anywhere that it could be plugged into the PS3. I'm guessing a 60-70 dollar all wireless blu tooth headset similar to the new 360 one shipping this year. The wii's would have to be all wireless as well.

JB1981

REV 09 said:
question

Sony and headset...what's the deal? Same can be asked for Wii and headset. Neither company has mentioned a headset as far as i know. There really isn't even anywhere that it could be plugged into the PS3. I'm guessing a 60-70 dollar all wireless blu tooth headset similar to the new 360 one shipping this year. The wii's would have to be all wireless as well.

That's what I'm thinking. That's all I want too. Wireless Everything, FTW.

REV 09

JB1981 said:
That's what I'm thinking. That's all I want too. Wireless Everything, FTW.
It's just that it's a mandatory accessory for a lot of people, and since there isn't a place to plug one in, i have a feeling that we're going to get price raped again here.

jjasper

REV 09 said:
question

I am assuming any bluetooth headset would work how much do they go for?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
REV 09 said:
It's just that it's a mandatory accessory for a lot of people, and since there isn't a place to plug one in, i have a feeling that we're going to get price raped again here.

You can probably use ANY usb headset.

REV 09

Y2Kevbug11 said:
You can probably use ANY usb headset.
it would have to plug up to the actual system though right? that is an option though. Didn't the PS2's headset plug into the system.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Questions about what comes in the box and peripherals aren't going to be answerable til TGS at the earliest. Ditto, we should have a better idea of the lineup then.

That said, while I'm not sure how the OP is counting launch titles there, Mobile Suit Gundam has been announced for 06 in the US, IIRC. Also, if I were making the list I'd swap Warhawk for Motorstorm. I'm still not convinced the former is definitely an 06 title, but the Evo guys seemed laser-like in their focus on getting MS out for 06 when asked at E3. Again, though, TGS should clarify stuff like that.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Oh, I'm definitely getting one at launch.

In Europe...

JB1981

jjasper said:
Thanks, but is the 360 one really bluetooth (can't see page cause I am at work) or is it based on the 3.2ghz(?) wireless built into the system. Cause if I could get one and have it work on both that would be awesome.

It's not Bluetooth. Works off the same tech as the wireless controllers.

Acosta

I want it, but my common sense hammer is jamming my head right now:

1) Being european, importing is my only option.

2) AC is not 220, so it needs a converter and I don´t know if one of 300ws will be enough.

3) The prices are going to be insane for import. I prefer american version, but there are going to be few systems avaliable for importers and the prizes will be extremely high.

4) Possible problems: broken system, missed shipment... it always can happen with imports, but i´s not the same risking to it with a 600$ buyout that a 1200$ one.

So I´m really thinking on waiting to January/February and get the system in a more relaxed way and being well aware of the risks and about what converter I need.

However, when import shops start the preorder campaign, I will study the case. Maybe I change my opinion.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
PS3Insider has given us more information about the Playstation 3:

I havent yet tried to boot up a PS2 game. So i have no idea how that works yet. Also you can acces the PS3 without a controller.

This night we let the PS3 on and so far 28 hours and no heating problems or blu-ray problems showing the movie. No stutters at all.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Seiken said:

I havent yet tried to boot up a PS2 game. So i have no idea how that works yet. Also you can acces the PS3 without a controller.

This night we let the PS3 on and so far 28 hours and no heating problems or blu-ray problems showing the movie. No stutters at all.

Huh?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Seiken said:

I need more information! Get more!

Yoshichan

DarienA said:

DSC_2434.JPG

If I remember correctly, the button in the middle boots up the PS3.

Bulla564

Banned
I'm really debating if I should get one at launch.

What do you guys think? I know I will be buying an HDTV to go with my PS3, and I want to go all out (50+ inches, 1080p).

Right now I have the money, but something tells me I should wait until 2007 for a good set. Any suggestions?

Yoshichan

Bulla564 said:
I'm really debating if I should get one at launch.

What do you guys think? I know I will be buying an HDTV to go with my PS3, and I want to go all out (50+ inches, 1080p).

Right now I have the money, but something tells me I should wait until 2007 for a good set. Any suggestions?
Wait for TGS man, it's only two (?) days left. By then, Sony will probably confirm all release-games for the US. If there's any game that's interesting, I'd buy one. Of course, you can do however you wish to do :).

But yeah, 2007 will be an amazing year for PS3.

Angelcurio

I would like to get one at launch, but since i have to import my console from the US its going to be imposible for me to get one before they are readily available. I am guessing that i will get my hands on one come march 2007.

BTW, ask the insider to put a ps2 and a ps1 game on the ps3 to see how BC works.

Does anyone know the exact time of the Ken Kutaragi speech at tgs? and will be gamespot giving live coverage like they did on e3?

Shawn

Banned
My plan on launch day is to pick up the 60GB model and an HDMI cable. Not long after I buy my PS3 I will be buying a new HDTV (my first) -- most likely the new Sony Bravia 32-inch XBR2. Can't wait.

Yoshichan

teiresias said:
But that involves using the controller.
Yeah, but people got worried that the PS3 can't boot up without the controller :lol

Kittonwy

Banned
Since EB is not taking pre-orders, it means I will have to camp.
angry.gif

This is what I will buy:

Launch PS3 premium model.
Resistance
Warhawk
RR7
+ 3 other games, more depending on my level of interest on that day.

Yoshichan

Kittonwy said:
Since EB is not taking pre-orders, it means I will have to camp.
angry.gif

This is what I will buy:

Launch PS3 premium model.
Resistance
Warhawk
RR7
+ 3 other games, more depending on my level of interest on that day.
Hardcore ;)!

bud

I think that they'll just bundle the headset with Resistance...just like they did with Socom. It's their premieer online FPS, just like Socom was.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Bud said:
I think that they'll just bundle the headset with Resistance...just like they did with Socom. It's their premieer online FPS, just like Socom was.
SOCOM was the ONLY title at the time that was supporting voice chat online, so it made sense to pack a headset in with the game. Nowadays, voice chat should be a standard feature in any online game, so there's no reason to pack it in with one particular game.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Seiken said:
DSC_2434.JPG

If I remember correctly, the button in the middle boots up the PS3.
That is genius!

I'm in for one if I can cop an easy pre-order. I refuse to partake in camping launch madness tho.

Wollan

In any case, I guess the official PS3 headset will be bluetooth based and it will probably be quite expensive. (Though I'm sure the PS3 will support headsets of any kind)

Yoshichan

PhatSaqs said:
That is genius!

I'm in for one if I can cop an easy pre-order. I refuse to partake in camping launch madness tho.
... the... sarcasm... meter... it's... about... to... break!

Top Bottom