• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Playstation 3 Launch Buyers Thread

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
NME said:
Hey.

Since you're going anyway, can I give you my $600 and you can pick one up for me?

I missed out on the Xbox 360 ebay madness, and I'd like to start a college fund for my kids.

Thanks buddy~!
U CAN come!!``~

I'm trying to bring someone with me. I'm thinking the more the merrier. 5 buddays in line would make it go fast even if only 1 was buying.

The 16th is a Thursday...and I get out of class at 5:30 and I have no class on Friday. I would grab something to eat and then begin the campout. God, NYC streets have to be really freaking uncomfortable to camp out on.

Ponn01 said:
I keep going back and forth. The fact that i'm going back and forth though leads me to believe the hype and compulsive gaming nature and draw of the black monolith will mean I will have one at launch. I just so happen to have the 15th and 16th off to camp out if neccessary as well.

Man. You know I was sort of joking about the 15th but it now appears to be a free floating meme. And that spells such an enormous amount of disaster.

Whenever I've waited in line for something, usually I judge by reconnaisance, and most people I know do the same. They drive past every few hours, ready to sit down whenever the crowd goes past a dozen or so. So, seeing as we're now only in September, by the time November rolls around people will already be like "No, man, I heard some people are camping out on THE FIFTEENTH" not to mention you KNOW that kind of shit always makes the evening news. So, by the 17th, so could conceivably have TWO DAYS worth of people in line at your local Best Buy.

So, when does the rioting start? Is it on the morning of the 16th when the manager comes out and breaks the news that only 10% of the people who have been waiting TWO DAYS EARLY are getting a system? Is it the morning of the 17th, when everything starts to unravel and people start sauntering up to the front of the store the way they did at my local 360 launch, trying to sneak in? And what about the List that went around the night before? It was hard enough keeping that thing valid for just 13 hours. How is it going to hold up over the course of two days?

Now multiply that by every electronics and game retail store in the country. And divide it by 400,000.

Shawn

Banned
I plan on camping starting the ~15th[...]
Wow. You're gonna be in front of the store and not leave your spot for TWO days? That's hardcore. I salute you.

My plan is to camp out beginning on the evening of the 16th.

Chris_C

I just called the EB at the local Oak Court Mall, they said they wouldn't be taking pre-orders till the 3rd of October at the earliest and that it would be anywhere from a $50-$200 deposit. He also said they'd be getting only 2 or 3 systems in the store! Umm, I'm guessing Walmart usually gets more systems right?

Chris_C said:
I just called the EB at the local Oak Court Mall, they said they wouldn't be taking pre-orders till the 3rd of October at the earliest and that it would be anywhere from a $50-$200 deposit. He also said they'd be getting only 2 or 3 systems in the store! Umm, I'm guessing Walmart usually gets more systems right?

I vote 10.

Y2Kev

I just can't camp for two days. Aside from it being vile and filthy, sleeping on the ground for two days would probably break my back. I have THINGS to do on the 16th, too. :lol

My plan is to get it shipped to my friend's house. He will bring it up and we will play and oogle at it for the entire night.

He might buy an additional one to sell on eBay if we can get our hands on it.

Dante

That's 2-3 systems after all the employees get their stash for Ebay purposes.......Blood is going to be spilt on the 17th it seems :(

BenjaminBirdie said:
Man. You know I was sort of joking about the 15th but it now appears to be a free floating meme. And that spells such an enormous amount of disaster.

Whenever I've waited in line for something, usually I judge by reconnaisance, and most people I know do the same. They drive past every few hours, ready to sit down whenever the crowd goes past a dozen or so. So, seeing as we're now only in September, by the time November rolls around people will already be like "No, man, I heard some people are camping out on THE FIFTEENTH" not to mention you KNOW that kind of shit always makes the evening news. So, by the 17th, so could conceivably have TWO DAYS worth of people in line at your local Best Buy.

So, when does the rioting start? Is it on the morning of the 16th when the manager comes out and breaks the news that only 10% of the people who have been waiting TWO DAYS EARLY are getting a system? Is it the morning of the 17th, when everything starts to unravel and people start sauntering up to the front of the store the way they did at my local 360 launch, trying to sneak in? And what about the List that went around the night before? It was hard enough keeping that thing valid for just 13 hours. How is it going to hold up over the course of two days?

Now multiply that by every electronics and game retail store in the country. And divide it by 400,000.

What the **** is your problem man. Every console launch is like this, in that supply is obviously going to outstrip demand. Of course there will be people that are going to be dissapointed, but so be it. Why does it always have to be a dooms day prediction from you. WE GET IT...PEOPLE WILL DIE, BECAUSE SONY IS EVIL.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
GUYS!

27 playable PS3-games at the moment. Another 35 will be shown but won't be playable.
Of the 27 playable games, the confirmed ones are:

Citat:
Capcom
- Devil May Cry 4

Koei
- Fatal Inertia
- Blade Storm: Hundred Years War
- Mahjong Taikai

Konami
- Coded Arms: Assault

Sony
- The Eye of Judgement
- Warhawk
- Gran Turismo-Serie
- Genji
- Everybody's Golf 5
- Formel 1
- Heavenly Sword
- MotorStorm
- Lair
- Resistance Fall of Man

Bandai Namco
- Gundam
- Ridge Racer 7

From Software
- Armored Core 4

Shawn

Banned
I wouldn't be surprised if the media reports chaos and disorder occuring throughout the country when PS3 launches.

Wouldn't be surprised at all.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Seiken said:
GUYS!

27 playable PS3-games at the moment. Another 35 will be shown but won't be playable.

There could, and probably will, be a little overlap between the two sets..hopefully most of the 35 trailers will be for other games though.

Moneyhats2k5 said:
What the **** is your problem man. Every console launch is like this, in that supply is obviously going to outstrip demand. Of course there will be people that are going to be dissapointed, but so be it. Why does it always have to be a dooms day prediction from you. WE GET IT...PEOPLE WILL DIE, BECAUSE SONY IS EVIL.

Um. Wrong. I'm not blaming Sony. Sony isn't evil. What the dang is YOUR problem, man? Do you read the newspapers? Were you there for the 360 launch? Have you ever waited in line for anything in the past five years? Do you know how humans react to the idea of making free money?

I love how you're trying to paint this as Xbot behavior. So childish, so totally missing the point. All of my zillions of posts on this subject are out of sheer sociolgical fascination. You're kneejerk defense via a sarcastic "BECAUSE SONY IS EVIL" is a lot more Fanheaded than anything I've stated. If Wii or the 360 launched under the same conditions AND DEMAND I'd be saying the same thing.

Safe Bet

Banned
Shawn said:
Wow. You're gonna be in front of the store and not leave your spot for TWO days? That's hardcore. I salute you.
This is my first Launch.

I plan on doing everthing I possibly can not to miss it...

Gotta do it at least once in your life, right? :)

Chris_C said:

I hate that store... especially the obnoxious white girl that talks all ghetto. I had a hard time keeping a straight face when talking to her. :D Other than the kind of Hawaiian looking guy, basically everyone there is a shithead.

EB @ Wolfchase has a pretty nice team, though. I'm gonna shoot for that location as one of my 'attempted preorders' :)

JB1981

TheJollyCorner said:
I hate that store... especially the obnoxious white girl that talks all ghetto. I had a hard time keeping a straight face when talking to her. :D Other than the kind of Hawaiian looking guy, basically everyone there is a shithead.

EB @ Wolfchase has a pretty nice team, though. I'm gonna shoot for that location as one of my 'attempted preorders' :)

I'm pretty tight with the Gamestop manager round here. He has my number on his cel and told me he'd call me as soon as pre-orders are available. I'm also hoping to buy from Amazon. There's no way I'm camping out for 1 day, let alone 2.

Bebpo

Banned
Y2Kevbug11 said:
I just can't camp for two days. Aside from it being vile and filthy, sleeping on the ground for two days would probably break my back. I have THINGS to do on the 16th, too. :lol

My plan is to get it shipped to my friend's house. He will bring it up and we will play and oogle at it for the entire night.

He might buy an additional one to sell on eBay if we can get our hands on it.

I don't think it'll be two days. The X360 lines at the local Best Buys started about 20 hours before launch and stores should be getting about the same amount of units as the X360 launch. The only difference is the demand might be greater, but I doubt it'll add another 20 hours.

I'm guessing if you show up at 6am for a midnight launch you'll be fine. It's a loooong time to wait, but in the end its just a day off of work.

Shawn

Banned
This is my first Launch.

I plan on doing everthing I possibly can not to miss it...

Gotta do it at least once in your life, right?
I definitely hear ya.

This isn't my first console launch, but it certainly will be my first camp out -- if things go according to plan.

I am willing to do whatever it takes (for the most part) to get my hands on a PS3 on November 17.

I don't want to miss it for anything.

I'll get somewhere @ 9pm for a midnight launch. That's about the extent of my 'camping'. It worked with PS2, I gotta believe it might work for PS3.

If not, hope I have some preorder that comes through... and then Plan C would just be waiting for the new year (or whenever I can get lucky with a system restock).

Y2Kev

Bebpo said:
I don't think it'll be two days. The X360 lines at the local Best Buys started about 20 hours before launch and stores should be getting about the same amount of units as the X360 launch. The only difference is the demand might be greater, but I doubt it'll add another 20 hours.

I'm guessing if you show up at 6am for a midnight launch you'll be fine. It's a loooong time to wait, but in the end its just a day off of work.

Can't swing that unless I skip three classes. It's only spanish, right (AND INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS LOL)?

I do want to camp out at least once in my life. I feel like next console launch I'll be entirely too old and "graduate student ish" to camp out amongst the 17 and 18 year olds.

rc213

I hope some stores start taking pre-orders cause my brother is paying for 2 PS3's if I can get them for him.

Shawn

Banned
The X360 lines at the local Best Buys started about 20 hours before launch and stores should be getting about the same amount of units as the X360 launch.
I suck at math, so help me out please.

If my local Best Buy is NOT doing a midnight Nov. 17 launch but will be opening at their regular hour -- say, like, 9:00am -- do you think there will be people already in line on the evening (6:00pm-ish) of the 16th?

I want to make it so that I'm first in line.

Does anyone think 6:00pm on the 16th is too late?

(Oh god, the thought of camping out on the 15th is making my head spin.)

jjasper

TheJollyCorner said:

:lol :lol I know exactly who you are talking about, I laugh everytime I go in there and she is working.

JB1981

Shawn said:

If my local Best Buy is NOT doing a midnight Nov. 17 launch but will be opening at their regular hour -- say, like, 9:00am -- do you think there will be people already in line on the evening (6:00pm-ish) of the 16th?

I guess a lot of this depends on where you live. I highly doubt the Best Buy here in Bricktown, NJ will have people lined up 2 days in advance. I know the 360 line started pretty early the night before, however.

Chris_C

TheJollyCorner said:

I'll have to keep an eye out for them. The only person I "know" there is a skinny looking fellow with glasses who gave me a hard time when I asked him if they had any PSP games (shortly after the systems launch). He launched into a tirade about how he wished he could afford glorified pieces of equipment like the PSP and what was I doing that let me afford the device.

I was so shocked I just picked up my purchased PC game and walked out of the store in disbelief.

nataku

Anyone know if 24 hour Wal-Marts were selling 360s at midnight? I was thinking of maybe trying to get one on there, mainly because I can just sit in the store near the video game section instead of waiting out in the cold.

Chris_C said:
I'll have to keep an eye out for them. The only person I "know" there is a skinny looking fellow with glasses who gave me a hard time when I asked him if they had any PSP games (shortly after the systems launch). He launched into a tirade about how he wished he could afford glorified pieces of equipment like the PSP and what was I doing that let me afford the device.

I was so shocked I just picked up my purchased PC game and walked out of the store in disbelief.

haha :lol, why do these numbnuts feel the burning desire to do stuff like that?

BuddyC

nataku said:
Anyone know if 24 hour Wal-Marts were selling 360s at midnight? I was thinking of maybe trying to get one on there, mainly because I can just sit in the store near the video game section instead of waiting out in the cold.
Yea, they were.

PhatSaqs

Banned
nataku said:
Confirmed. One near me passed out tickets at like 9pm tho so get as much info as you can.

Bebpo

Banned
Shawn said:

Yeah, the line I ended up in was for a Best Buy opening at 9am the next day. Line started at 4pm, but basically anyone showing up before 6pm got in the first 30 spots and had one for sure.

Just to be safe I'd drive by a place that's doing a midnight launch at 5am and a place that's doing a 9am launch at 12pm just to check out the line sizes before deciding weather to jump in or not.

januswon

I will buy the 60GB system in Japan
plus a game (Bladestorm The Hundred Years War)

I have registered with Amazon Japan
now waiting for the email notice

since the PS3 launch qty in Japan is only 100K
i might not be able to get the PS3 at launch

januswon said:

I have registered with Amazon Japan
now waiting for the email notice

since the PS3 launch qty in Japan is only 100K
i might not be able to get the PS3 at launch

I can see Cherry Blossom Petals when I read that. It's quite nice, seriously.

lethial said:
*weeps* God it's going to be expensive, 800 bucks-ish cdn for primo bundle, extra controller and a game

homefrederik.gif

"Save your money."

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Safe Bet said:
Just called my local Best Buy to ask when I can start camping out and the damn guy wouldn't say anything but, "I can't comment on that. You need to contact or Corporate Office."

AARRRGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!
I just came back from ebgames and bestbuy.
No Dice for preorders on both of them, Best Buy told me they arent doing preorders, first come first serv. EBGames told me to call or come back in a couple weeks. :/

gofreak said:
I definitely saw it before..I can't remember exactly where. It was a photo or scan of some Gamestop or EB booklet or something, I think. I'll try and find it.
I'd appreciate it, its really odd. I didnt think it was colored red, or lit up at all.

ourumov

Really wanted to get one but the launch titles are SO LACKLUSTER than I am asking myself: WHY ???
I wonder if it wouldn't be wiser to get one and ebay it and with the benefits get a 360.
Don't take this as a troll attempt but I expected a lot of games to be there on launch date...

Ridge Racer
Warhawk
Heavenly Sword

I believe my Ps2 is going to continue coping my hours of gaming.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Bad_Boy said:
I'd appreciate it, its really odd. I didnt think it was colored red, or lit up at all.

Well BuddyC confirmed it somewhere in the thread, he's been spending time with various PS3 games lately.

ourumov said:
Really wanted to get one but the launch titles are SO LACKLUSTER than I am asking myself

Bit of a premature judgement to make. Two of the titles you list may be 06 titles, also. I think you should wait to see how the games emerge. At E3, people were making judgements about various games that have subsequently grown to be more and more attractive (e.g. Resistance), and I think it'll be interesting to see what state various others arrive in too. It's a matter of taste as well, but I think we can say that right now it's too early to predict the strength of the lineup.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
ourumov said:
Don't take this as a troll attempt but I expected a lot of games to be there on launch date...

Ridge Racer
Warhawk
Heavenly Sword
RR7 will most likely be there on launch.
Warhawk is rumored to be there on launch.
Heavenly Sword was never a launch title IIRC

gofreak said:
Well BuddyC confirmed it somewhere in the thread, he's been spending time with various PS3 games lately.
thanks, missed his post.

I guess red is the confirmed ps3 color then.

ourumov

Bit of a premature judgement to make. Two of the titles you list may be 06 titles, also. I think you should wait to see how the games emerge. At E3, people were making judgements about various games that have subsequently grown to be more and more attractive (e.g. Resistance), and I think it'll be interesting to see what state various others arrive in too. It's a matter of taste as well, but I think we can say that right now it's too early to predict the strength of the lineup.
Well, that changes things but seriously... For the gamer not interested in sports titles and FPS, it's not the best launch EVER...at all.

When PS2 came out I remember getting this 6:

SFEX 3
RRV
Fantavision
TTT
International Superstar Soccer

Now they are considered crappy titles and probably there a lot of better games in their genres but well I found at least something that I really was interested on. Put it that way:

Fighting
Soccer from Konami
Racing
Weird Game

hey, just my opinion but it's hard for me to spend 600€ on a system when I barely find something I like. And more or less that was the case with the 360 at launch...because aside RR6 and perhaps PGR3...there wasn't anything interesting for me. About a year later, two games have popped up that seem a bit interesting: LP and DR...A whole ****ing year.

So, my main concern is that games I am really interested aren't coming just at launch, hence my reflexion about just ebaying it (I doubt I do it...since I hate being ripped and I don't want to rip others) And that's a big issue when spending 600€ on whatever.
I really believe that at least for me, 3 months won't hurt me at all.

Heavenly Sword
Virtua fighter 5
GT:HD
DMC 4
The Getaway (if some day it is released)
RR7
WarHawk

are the main titles that I find interesting :) and looking at those lists...well...

Just my 2 cents. I understand that somebody may like Resistance and EA and then this is a perfect launch. Then again I converted my opinion into an afirmation. Sorry.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Hey, there's no need to be sorry! I'm just pointing out the lineup hasn't taken solid shape yet. I appreciate depending on one's favoured genres or tastes, opinion on the lineup is a variable thing.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Btw, when I was at ebgames they said the warranty for the 20gig model would be 50 bucks, and 60gig model would be 60 bucks (10%) and 12 months long. If the manufacture warranty for sony is 9 months or whatever ebgames can keep the warranty, but if it's like 3 monts I'll probably have to pick one up just to be safe. :'(

Stench

Banned
I will be there for launch.

Whether or not I will actually find one is the question.

Also, I morally refuse to line up anymore than 3+ hours for a consumer product.

Safe Bet

Banned
januswon said:
Glad to hear I'm not the only one interested in Blade Storm.

I know I might be in for a disappointment, but I'm willing to take that chance on a game set in The Hundred Years War.

Darmstadtium

Bandwagoner
Some people in this thread will be dissappointed; There's already 200 posts and I don't thnk that sony will even have that many out at launch..

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
early adopting is a mistake more often than not, and the launch games are about as exciting to me as the ps2 launch, which is not very much. 600 dollars for a dadburn console, still can't get over that. Still can't get over that so many people fall in line with that, either.

Top Bottom