• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Playstation 3 Launch Buyers Thread

So did both Gamestop and Ebgames decide not to allow pre-orders? They better online still.

I'll buy

Resistance: Fall of Man
Madden 2007
NHL 2K7

Chris_C said:
Oh yeah, and anyone in the Midtown Memphis area with a car want to give me a ride up to Walmart and camp out?

I might take you up on that. :)

Wonder which Walmart would be best? Maybe an extra trip over to Millington or something? Those damn country folk won't be buying PS3's (or will they? :D)

jjasper

TheJollyCorner said:
I might take you up on that. :)

Wonder which Walmart would be best? Maybe an extra trip over to Millington or something? Those damn country folk won't be buying PS3's (or will they? :D)

You guys got it all wrong lets go to West Memphis and pay less tax:D

Chris_C I actually work downtown/midtown area (VA hospital) and will be leaving right after work at ~4:30 to go to the West Memphis Walmart, so I could take you.

:D ok, you guys let me know which Walmart in Memphis you guys are going to so I can go to another one. I'd love to give some NeoGAF love... but this is launch, baby... this is war!

Holy shit... I'll never forget PS2 launch @ Target on Cumberland in Knoxville. I was #23 out of 25 (even though I was like the 4th person to get in line @ 9pm for midnight -_-). Walking out of there at about 1am, across an empty parking lot, with the bright blue PS2 box, knowing roughly 115 people didn't get one?

Rape time? I almost sprinted to my car. That'll teach me to park as far away as I can "so I can get out faster afterwards" :lol

If I get lucky again and get a launch Sony system, this time I'm ****ing parking as close as I can AND I'm bringing my own big ass bag to put it in to walk to the car.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Benjamin has it right.

I am depending on EBgames.com or Gamestop.com. If they don't put up preorders, I will not get one on launch day. I can camp that Thursday (I will go right from class), but I doubt I will get one anyway.

If I have the money, my plans are to try and buy one at a Sam's Club. My cousin is a member, so I plan on using her to get me in and buy one on launch day. Hopefully they don't bundle games and accessories together or I'm doomed since I'm on a real tight budget. The thing is, I want one so much that I might buy it without a warranty or a game :lol

LevelNth

Banned
Day one for me. Waiting for official launch list to decide what I'm going to buy, but it'll probably be Hot Shots Golf 5 and Resistence day one, RR7 and possibly more later on.

Tr4nce

I've been there with the PS2 launch, and also owned a Playstation, so I have to get a PS3 also! Not at launch however, cos I don't wanna feel screwed again (launch game wise).

Oh yeah, and it's ****ed up that PAL land gets screwed again. I'm talking about the 6 month delay for the launch. Way to go Sony!! Bravo!!
Buttmunchers

I'm going with the 60 Gig version (1 preorder at the local Gamestop and I'll be waiting in line around noon at the nearest 24 hour Wal-Mart.

Resistance: Fall of Man, Madden 2007, PS2 Memory card reader and a copy of Terminator 2 on Blu-Ray. Should be an insane launch party! :)

I already have my hdmi cable, Sony HDTV and might pickup a 4 gig ProDuo and swap out the 1 gig out of my PSP.

teiresias

Slurpy said:
Anyone who manages to get this console at launch and doesn't ebay it is a fool.

I think it really depends on how quickly Sony can replenish the supply line immediately after launch. If it's true that the only issue is the blue laser diodes than hopefully it won't be too soon that we'll start getting regular supplies (again assuming they really do have the 3million CELLs stockpiled like they said).

Still, the first three weeks will be a free for all on eBay.

jjasper

TheJollyCorner said:
:D ok, you guys let me know which Walmart in Memphis you guys are going to so I can go to another one. I'd love to give some NeoGAF love... but this is launch, baby... this is war!

Holy shit... I'll never forget PS2 launch @ Target on Cumberland in Knoxville. I was #23 out of 25 (even though I was like the 4th person to get in line @ 9pm for midnight -_-). Walking out of there at about 1am, across an empty parking lot, with the bright blue PS2 box, knowing roughly 115 people didn't get one?

Rape time? I almost sprinted to my car. That'll teach me to park as far away as I can "so I can get out faster afterwards" :lol

If I get lucky again and get a launch Sony system, this time I'm ****ing parking as close as I can AND I'm bringing my own big ass bag to put it in to walk to the car.

:lol I am tellin' ya the AK 6% tax is where I will be. It will save me about ~$20 yeah I am a cheapass like that. Plus I figure not as many people will be there because it is West Memphis afterall.

Man during the PS2 launch there was a fight at the walamrt I went to because they didn't make a list of the line or anything and just told everyone to go to the layaway counter at around 11:45. Mad dash and some people that were at the front of the first line got pushed to the back. Somehow I managed to keep my spot in line with my dad's help. It was crazy.

Oneself

m0dus said:
Count me in.
I'll be there day 1, going after a Premium system and a copy of Resistance: Fall of Man, and a warranty (welcome to the world of the early adopter, kiddies!)
:)

Exactly the same for me, except that I'll take RR7 along with Resistance.. I'll be there day 1 (North American launch) and if I'm not broke enough, I'll get a third game. This day is gonna be awesome and my girlfriend's gonna tell me I'm dumb to pay 1000$ for videogames in one single day.

Edit: HDMI cable is on my priority list too.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
img1.jpg

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Play...0016622/link/ref/rpem/ccd/categorySpecial.do#

wtf? lol
is anybody seeing red or is it just me?

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Rice-Eater said:
If I have the money, my plans are to try and buy one at a Sam's Club. My cousin is a member, so I plan on using her to get me in and buy one on launch day. Hopefully they don't bundle games and accessories together or I'm doomed since I'm on a real tight budget. The thing is, I want one so much that I might buy it without a warranty or a game :lol

Sam's does bundle so you'll need to look out for that, but even worse business customers get in the store 30 min ahead of regular customers IIRC. So you'd better hope they don't screw you that way.

EDIT:

Since when is the center button on the controller red?

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
I'd love one but the realities are:

i) There's basically no chance of me getting one unless I camp out the night before.
ii) Even if I got one I'd have a hard time justifying to myself keeping it as opposed to ebaying it.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
One of the other leaks of retail material showed the controller button illuminated red, so it seems like it is..

JB1981

gofreak said:
One of the other leaks of retail material showed the controller button illuminated red, so it seems like it is..

Maybe it's a slight jab at MS' Red Rings of Death. Red for PS3 = LIFE. Red for MS = DEATH.

:p

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
gofreak said:
you have a picture? this is the first time im seeing the red button.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
gofreak said:

That's stupid as ****!!! Stop it SONY!!!!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Bad_Boy said:
you have a picture? this is the first time im seeing the red button.

I definitely saw it before..I can't remember exactly where. It was a photo or scan of some Gamestop or EB booklet or something, I think. I'll try and find it.

snatches

BenjaminBirdie said:
:lol

Come on man. Surely that can't have been the final straw.

That was funny. Otherwise I have no reason to post in this thread. I don't think I will camp even for the ebay profits, although it is extremely tempting. Enjoy your ps3's guys.

snatches said:

That was funny. Otherwise I have no reason to post in this thread. I don't think I will camp even for the ebay profits, although it is extremely tempting. Enjoy your ps3's guys.

If I was bigger more imposing dude, I'd be there.

JB1981

TheJollyCorner said:
this is a dumb question, but is 1080i better than 720p? *slaps head*

Depends, really. On my Sony XBR 960 CRT, X360 looks smoother in 720p (especially in motion). 1080i is a bit sharper, but the 360's scaler also introduces some visual artifacts that I'm not too crazy about. Where you'll really benefit from 1080i is if you have a 1080p set, 'cause most 1080p sets will just deinterlace that signal and make it progressive, giving you a very smooth 1080p-like image. Actually, you'd be hard-pressed to discern whether the image is being deinterlaced at that point, or if it's a true 1080p source. I'm not sure how the PS3 will perform at 1080i, but in my experience, the 360 takes a slight performance hit when pushed to that resolution. I guess only time will tell.

Chris_C

jjasper said:
You guys got it all wrong lets go to West Memphis and pay less tax:D

Chris_C I actually work downtown/midtown area (VA hospital) and will be leaving right after work at ~4:30 to go to the West Memphis Walmart, so I could take you.

Sounds good to me jjasper, I'll get a cab down to the VA around 4pm and wait for you to get off work most likely. Should be interesting to see if we'll get one. If we don't we can always wait to jump TheJollyCorner when he steps out of his Walmart with his PS3 :lol

I'll send you a PM with my email address and phone number so we can keep in touch and hammer out details.

Safe Bet

Banned
Just called my local Best Buy to ask when I can start camping out and the damn guy wouldn't say anything but, "I can't comment on that. You need to contact or Corporate Office."

AARRRGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Safe Bet said:
Just called my local Best Buy to ask when I can start camping out and the damn guy wouldn't say anything but, "I can't comment on that. You need to contact or Corporate Office."

AARRRGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

might as well just start now, man.
GUARANTEED launch purchase (if you are still alive :D)

Safe Bet

Banned
brandonh83 said:
Even if he dies, someone can use a cell processor on him for revival.

I plan on camping starting the ~15th but I want to make sure they don't allocate every machine they have to pre-orders before I do..

Dante

For what it's worth Music Wherehouse is taking pre-orders for PS3 and Wii, I know it's a long shot, but I guess it doesn't hurt to have as many back-ups as possible.

JB1981

Dante said:
For what it's worth Music Wherehouse is taking pre-orders for PS3 and Wii, I know it's a long shot, but I guess it doesn't hurt to have as many back-ups as possible.

Is that the same place as Coconuts? And is your pre-order refundable?

BuddyC

Mmmkay said:
Hah, what!

Does the PS button even have a light?
Yup. And it blinks red when it's searching for a bluetooth signal. Asked about it at the Genji 2 event a few weeks back.

Also, I've come to the conclusion that I am weak and will be joining you all in your launch day attempts to purchase a PlayStation 3.

Zaptruder

Banned
snatches said:

Even though it's probably tainted by some sarcasm or irony...

thanks! Barring any unforseen circumstances, we'll be sure to enjoy launch PS3.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
BuddyC said:
Yup. And it blinks red when it's searching for a bluetooth signal. Asked about it at the Genji 2 event a few weeks back.

Also, I've come to the conclusion that I am weak and will be joining you all in your launch day attempts to purchase a PlayStation 3.

*high fives*

See you in line!

Don't touch my spot or I will cut you.

Ponn

Banned
I keep going back and forth. The fact that i'm going back and forth though leads me to believe the hype and compulsive gaming nature and draw of the black monolith will mean I will have one at launch. I just so happen to have the 15th and 16th off to camp out if neccessary as well.

NME

Y2Kevbug11 said:
*high fives*

See you in line!

Don't touch my spot or I will cut you.

Hey.

Since you're going anyway, can I give you my $600 and you can pick one up for me?

I missed out on the Xbox 360 ebay madness, and I'd like to start a college fund for my kids.

Thanks buddy~!

Top Bottom